Anthem - New Bioware IP Page 45

• Frogofdoom 12 Mar 2019 12:46:21 13,915 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it's pretty thin. I mostly just do the legendary contracts and the odd dungeon until they add some content. Can't complain I made money on my Xbox version and got the pc version free so I'm probably more lenient than someone who dropped £50 on it.
  • SolidSCB 13 Mar 2019 16:42:55 11,411 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One of the events included in their roadmap dropped yesterday apparently.

Kill 100 of an enemy type.

What a bright future.
  • dsmx 13 Mar 2019 21:10:32 8,434 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A game that took apparently 6 years to make isn't going to be fixed in anything less than 1 year. What you have right now is what you will have to endure for months, you need to accept the game as it is right now and move on because if you're not enjoying it now nothing is going to change in it for a very long time.

As an example look how long it took them to fix Battlefield 3/4 and those games took less time to make by the people who actually designed the game engine.

Edited by dsmx at 21:12:04 13-03-2019
  • SolidSCB 13 Mar 2019 21:19:53 11,411 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't even have it, the demo was enough to see what a shitshow this was going to be.

But it's good to see these fuckers finally start getting taken down a peg for releasing games in such a state.
  • ChiefGB 19 Mar 2019 01:27:23 11,314 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gunther was the worst voice actor in all of history.
  • Technoishmatt 20 Mar 2019 21:12:27 3,508 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @H1ggyLTD ancient, and responded to with an easy fix, dividing by all potential slots, rather than just filled ones.
  • b-rk 22 Mar 2019 09:26:58 948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It adds to the immersion.
  • Ror 23 Mar 2019 17:44:06 18,808 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had about a week off of this due to falling down a Blazblue-shaped hole, but I've just finished up the campaign. Post-credits tease made me eager to see what comes next, story-wise.

I still have some side stuff to do, so I'll finish that up over the next week.
  • HelloNo 3 Apr 2019 12:30:37 2,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just read that, great article.
  • SolidSCB 3 Apr 2019 12:47:08 11,411 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bioware immediately defend with the most tone-deaf blog response you'll ever see.

Time to close the book on Anthem. It's done.
  • nickthegun 3 Apr 2019 13:11:03 78,495 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A figure I saw flying about said it had done 1.5m sales against a target of 6m and Apex has pretty much eaten its player base (and therefore its recurring revenue) so unless they release a miracle patch, yeah, its done.

Edited by nickthegun at 13:11:24 03-04-2019
  • ionic 3 Apr 2019 13:17:12 744 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't think EA will care too much if players went to Apex instead. Must of been hedging their bets releasing them at the same time
  • SolidSCB 3 Apr 2019 13:32:18 11,411 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would dread to imagine what the actual recurring player count for this is at the moment. The only thing that would take it off life-support for a bit is to make it F2P, which won't happen for a very long time, if ever. Even then there are better F2P games out there already.

It's done. They might be hopeful that they can 'do a Destiny', but they won't.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Apr 2019 13:43:51 6,358 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @SolidSCB From what I've heard, this needs less "doing a Destiny" than "doing a Final Fantasy XIV". FF14 was an absolute clusterfuck at its 1.0 launch - almost completely devoid of content, offering no functional in-game economy, riddled with basic narrative and translation errors and crippled by an appalling server-side UI that added multiple seconds of latency to basic inventory management.

After trying to fix it for a while, Square-Enix took the whole thing offline and rebuilt entire chunks of the game and its engine. When they gave it its 2.0 launch, it was almost entirely unrecognisable and a far, far better game (by some counts it is now the world's most popular subscription MMO).

What I've seen suggests that for Anthem to live up to its promise might require similarly drastic action, rather than just a bit of evolutionary jiggery-pokery. The question is whether EA/Bioware have the stomach for it. Square-Enix were never going to let a main-series Final Fantasy game go down in history as both a critical and commercial failure. You can imagine Nintendo taking similar action if a Mario or Zelda game ever completely bombed. But not sure EA would be willing to stick with a failed title to make it right in the same way, particularly if the userbase flatlines.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Apr 2019 13:58:04 14,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's no way EA will give it the time and money it needs, rather than learn from Destiny and The Division they'll just write it off. TBF to EA they did give Bioware an insane amount of time which they duly squandered.
  • SolidSCB 3 Apr 2019 14:35:48 11,411 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not suggesting the game is completely devoid of players just yet, but I'm sure the drop-off since launch makes for some seriously depressing reading.

If they had a blank cheque, the FFXIV one would be the route to go. But they don't have that, nor the goodwill with fans they banked from 13 successful iterations of the series before that. F2P is their only realistic option and even that isn't going to save the game. They blew it, on to the next idea.
  • SiroccoJetProp 3 Apr 2019 20:15:58 283 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Game will be dead within a year and support will phase out I'd imagine
  • ChiefGB 3 Apr 2019 20:46:54 11,314 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As is typically the way, they havenít learnt from past mistakes in the genre and havenít kept decent content coming. Either that or theyíve had to fix so much that itís all gone on the back burner. Howís the roadmap planning out.
    Itís a shame because I genuinely enjoyed the game up till the end where thereís just nothing there. Enjoyed the moment to moment play more than div 2, that said Iíve since binned both and gone back to d2.
  • b-rk 3 Apr 2019 21:20:36 948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Anthem is one of the most fun games I've played in years but there isn't a lot of content is has to be said and I'm pretty burned out on it now way before my Javelin has reached legendary power. I can't see myself ever going back to Destiny 2 either so am stuck for something to play. :|
  • SolidSCB 4 Apr 2019 08:06:19 11,411 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Their roadmap bragged about new events, one of which turned out to be a 'Kill 100 of an enemy type' quest. I dare say whatever they've got held back is just as threadbare as the main game.

I'm sure 'support' will carry on for a bit so they can bleed the diehards for whatever they can with whatever monetisation they have lined up.
  • ChiefGB 4 Apr 2019 08:27:11 11,314 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tbf as youíve pointed out youíve not even played it but seem to be the most vocal in here currently. Although itís proved not to be for everyone, the game had plenty of stuff to do, although not the most varied perhaps, but then none of these games seem to have mountains of variety (destiny perhaps but thatís had a hell of a head start). The issue for many is with the end game dead end so could be fixed. Should it have been better thought out, absolutely, can it be fixed? Iíd say most definitely. What doesnít help is people on the sidelines flinging shit at it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.