Anthem - New Bioware IP Page 46

• JamboWayOh 4 Apr 2019 08:36:57 13,563 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have played the game and I found it to be two games awkwardly stitched together, there is is promise there but I was bored by my 6th hour which is not a great look. It definitely felt unfinished and mission wise, reading that article you can tell that story beats were just torn out to get the game out of the door. As you say it can be fixed, but you have to wonder if it will get the support. Also I think people are slinging shit at it are because they love Bioware but as that report from Kotaku points out, it was pretty much their own making. I mean some of the design choices are baffling to say the least. Not being able to check your loot drops and discard them during gameplay is a pure wtf moment.
  • SolidSCB 4 Apr 2019 11:20:45 11,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's rightfully getting shit for being an unfinished mess. I could tell after 10 minutes of the Beta that it was a cobbled together rush job and the Kotaku article just confirms what the vast majority have pointed out since launch.

They've no chance of clawing it back, but you'd hope the game still has a lasting impression on the industry of being a turning point for games being released with a "We'll release this shit now and fix it later" attitude, along with devs no longer being treated like field hands while they work on them.

Spoiler: It won't
  • wobbly_Bob 4 Apr 2019 11:51:20 5,121 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know a lot of the focus is on Bioware for messing this up but i still feel that it's EA whose fault it is. I think people are looking too close at this thing and need to pull the camera back and look at the bigger picture.

OK so Bioware management are screw ups but why are they? Bioware used to be amazing. I would argue that it is EA that forced the talent to leave just the same as they always do by forcing their toxic corporate culture on the company and working conditions. For sure EA constantly dicked around with Bioware forcing staff to leave or reassigning them to other studios which we know happened. I'm sure EA fucked around with the company in many other ways forcing money led design choices on the company. This has been going on for a very long time. So the talent left and shitty managers are now in charge. Who put them there? EA.

This is just another example of big a publisher ruining a company, driving the talent out till its a shell of what it once was, interfering with the company and forcing a horrible working culture on the company. Sure, Bioware messed up but this can all of it be traced by to EA's doorstep. Bioware isn't Bioware any more it's just a name. Everybody that made it the company that it was who had talent, vision and passion for games have long left and this is all on EA who like other big publishers are just a massive cancer that's infested the games industry.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 11:54:35 04-04-2019
  • ChiefGB 4 Apr 2019 12:13:20 10,830 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Probably why casey Hudson is back, the hope of steadying the ship. In fairness, Iíve not read this article but wouldnít surprise me if ea threw a sack of money at him but was too late to tidy up anthem. Either that or heís also a hack that has been riding on the coattails of the old guard.
  • retrological 10 Apr 2019 06:45:39 309 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So have they added any new content yet?
  • ChiefGB 10 Apr 2019 10:20:17 10,830 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not enough to bring me back.
    BioWare really are a mess atm, read an article on new dragon age that makes them sound so directionless and unfocused still.
    What a shame, I donít see them getting it together. Damaged brand now. Typical ea studio takeover.
    When was the last great BioWare game?
  • gamecat 10 Apr 2019 11:35:52 854 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mass Effect 2, downhill since then.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Apr 2019 12:51:27 5,930 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    gamecat wrote:
    Mass Effect 2, downhill since then.
    Mass Effect 2 for plot and writing, sure. One of the very few times Bioware actually managed to get moral ambiguity into one of their games.

But the rot had already set in by then on the gameplay side. I'd point at the first Dragon Age as their last really great output in terms of gameplay.
  • SolidSCB 10 Apr 2019 13:10:55 11,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mass Effect is both the best and worst thing that ever happened to them. It's been a steady decline since ME1. The first Dragon Age escaped the taint, after that most of their stuff has been middling at best on a whole.
  • neems 10 Apr 2019 18:09:36 4,579 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Taking the same path as Bethesda - slowly moving from expansive RPGs to action adventure games with RPG elements to online services with fuck all content.

Hopefully CDPR don't get infected as well.
  • retrological 13 Apr 2019 09:22:23 309 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice article about what anthem got right:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/10/18304440/anthem-combat-game-design-animation
  • Bichii 17 Apr 2019 21:09:17 1,790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Might get this tomorrow. Was the campaign fun solo?
  • Frogofdoom 17 Apr 2019 21:09:56 13,397 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Better than with other players.
  • Bichii 17 Apr 2019 21:11:12 1,790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah all I've read is players just speed off and you get pulled through.

Edited by Bichii at 21:12:39 17-04-2019
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 17 Apr 2019 21:53:34 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I did story missions solo and just did multiplayer for fortresses and open world but I also stopped playing when I finished the story ;). I will go back if more story content gets added though as I enjoyed it.
  • Bichii 17 Apr 2019 22:03:04 1,790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cool I'll probably get it and sell it as soon as it's done.
  • Bichii 18 Apr 2019 13:35:59 1,790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well this is very pretty.
  • Bichii 18 Apr 2019 18:02:27 1,790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @H1ggyLTD this is rather good. Sure the loot is dull and there is no end game but I'm just enjoying going through the levels and exploring the world and following the story.

Compared to destiny and division 2 this has better characters and story that I'm actually aware of what is going on. in the division 2 I had no clue what was going on and ended up not caring that I knew nothing.
  • ChiefGB 18 Apr 2019 20:20:48 10,830 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Bichii it is entertaining enough, going through the campaign. Had more fun playing than div 2, just it all fell off a cliff once I finished campaign.
  • Dizzy 18 Apr 2019 20:22:49 3,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I am just waiting for new content. End game is indeed rather barren. I got almost max gear in just two weeks.
  • Bichii 19 Apr 2019 17:52:51 1,790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm on that mission where it forces you into free play.

Other than that still loving it.

Makes me sad though as this could have been something special without all the development nightmare. If it had quality mission design and way more cinematic moments during levels it would have been amazing.
  • Frogofdoom 19 Apr 2019 18:46:52 13,397 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Their internet died and the backup wasnt good enough to do the stream, not really their fault this time.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.