Anthem - New Bioware IP Page 2

• DakeyrasUK 11 Jun 2017 23:52:31 3,049 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not sure what to make of it. Looked heavy on the division gameplay, minus the cover mechanics. But also reminded me of xbcx for open world exploration...

I guess it hinges for me on how well it tells its story!
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Jun 2017 23:53:35 5,904 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Looking good!
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 11 Jun 2017 23:54:26 32,235 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You can fly about pretending you're Iron Man. I'm already sold on that alone. I'd still prefer it was good of course.
  • Tomo 12 Jun 2017 08:35:59 16,773 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thought it looked pretty mundane. Blockbuster cinema is churning out comic book movies relentlessly. Blockbuster videogames are now enormous sci-fi open world games with endless levelling up. Just so uninventive :(
  • solidsneek 12 Jun 2017 08:40:03 763 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Looks amazing lets just hope it plays the same. I really like the discovery part of it!
  • THFourteen 12 Jun 2017 08:40:19 53,006 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Tomo

Buy a switch.

There are no games on that at all
  • Tomo 12 Jun 2017 08:44:53 16,773 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @THFourteen

Got my Vive for that purpose. Base covered!
  • TheRealBadabing 12 Jun 2017 08:48:16 1,889 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Thought it looked pretty mundane. Blockbuster cinema is churning out comic book movies relentlessly. Blockbuster videogames are now enormous sci-fi open world games with endless levelling up. Just so uninventive :(
    Considering the suit who introduced it was waxing lyrical about how they like to "take risks" I thought it looked like a game designed by tick-box. Hardly risky to take a load of ideas from Destiny, mix in some Avatar aliens and throw in some upgrade paths.

Might be an amazing game but I wish they would just admit that they wanted a piece of that Destiny market so they told one of their biggest studios to make it so.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2017 08:59:30
    it is interesting, but i will reserve judgement for now.

Love or hate destiny but it is catnip because they found the head shot sweet spot and as such you can just spend time shooting shit and have a good time.

Bioware are not known for their combat so there is a chance that although the story mode will be fun, the long term game play will fall by the wayside.
  • ozthegweat 12 Jun 2017 09:17:39 2,313 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Graxlar_v2 wrote:
    Bioware are not known for their combat so there is a chance that although the story mode will be fun, the long term game play will fall by the wayside.
    Combat in ME3 was very good (and even had suprising depth, but that only really mattered in multiplayer), and in ME:A it's even better.

But, to be fair, combat is only very good, and not excellent like in Destiny. And to become "catnip", it probably would have to be.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2017 09:42:37
    I think there's scope for a game that's slightly more RPG than shooter. Division hinted at it but the game was too easily subverted into a rolling SMG fest to be too tactical and the loot was uninspired.

I have hopes for this, it looks the absolute bees knees graphically and I've wanted to play a decent Ironman game since forever. Getting around looks to be more fun than Destiny's Sparrows and while it won't have the sheer tactility of Destiny if they get the exploration, loot and endgame right it doesn't need to be.

Browser have experience in deep RPGs and MMOs and what they've learned in terms of action games culminating in ME3 and reportedly ME A should ensure this is successful.

It looks like It's had time and money thrown at it. It's just a shame it couldn't have a more individual style. Mass Effect wasn't wholy unique but stylistically it felt different from all other sci fi games at the time.

Edited by JiveHound at 09:45:38 12-06-2017
  • Supra_Hans 12 Jun 2017 10:46:24 104 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm really intrigued by it - will reserve judgement until I hear some hands on discussion - but I would love a game that was destiny, but actually how I imagined destiny to be originally.

Co-operative, exploration, hostile world, interesting movement options - actual story and non-grindy, repetitive quests - I'm interested at the very least.
  • solidsneek 12 Jun 2017 10:48:43 763 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So this isn't an Xbox exclusive?
  • Deleted user 12 June 2017 10:51:08
    Yeah, I think they'll do well if they nail Bungie's original pitch with this.

They have the backing of a mega publisher who will want a slice of the MMO/action pie so it may come good.

It explains why Mass Effect A turned out like it did. That's now obviously seen as diminished IP by the company which is a shame. They've been going down the more action focused gameplay since the writing team of the first ME disbanded so it makes sense to focus on a new IP.
  • solidsneek 12 Jun 2017 11:03:44 763 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If they get it right it could be unreal. The exploratory values of it a long with great combat and the lush world could be a winner. As long as they don't fluff it.
  • Derblington 12 Jun 2017 11:05:39 31,983 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    That's now obviously seen as diminished IP by the company which is a shame.
    You don't spend years making something like that if it's seen as "diminished". It just didn't hit the targets set or expected. There's no conspiracy theory behind it. Not every game is good.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2017 11:12:03 21,073 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks pretty amazing in that video. Whats that supposed to be running on?
  • Supra_Hans 12 Jun 2017 11:15:05 104 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    You don't spend years making something like that if it's seen as "diminished". It just didn't hit the targets set or expected. There's no conspiracy theory behind it. Not every game is good.
    http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

Makes a very interesting read for anyone wondering why ME:A turned out like it did.
  • Duffking 12 Jun 2017 11:24:29 16,365 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Looks pretty amazing in that video. Whats that supposed to be running on?
    Engine or hardware? Engine is presumably Frostbite.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2017 11:24:59
    Hardware, i would hope the xbox one X
  • solidsneek 12 Jun 2017 11:29:45 763 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Graxlar_v2 wrote:
    it's deffo the X
  • Deleted user 12 June 2017 11:36:19
    Derblington wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    They gave it to their B team. I don't mean diminished as in It's a bad game, it just isn't at the forefront of Bioware's ambition. It's clear Anthem is their next big bet.

I read the Kotaku article in the week and it was obviously ambitious but it didn't have the actual support it needed to get off the ground.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2017 11:43:33 21,073 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    solidsneek wrote:
    Graxlar_v2 wrote:
    it's deffo the X
    Oh god. Thats what people are going to call it.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2017 11:44:47
    @Decks I think normal people are calling it one of two things

1) the not shit Xbox

2) Xbox

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.