Anthem - New Bioware IP Page 23

• mothercruncher 4 Feb 2019 16:35:02 15,812 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Weíre talking about EA- it'll be released with bare minimum content, glaring bugs in basic functionality but, funnily enough, the micro transactions will be fully fleshed out and working.
  • Technoishmatt 4 Feb 2019 16:35:03 3,101 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I also really enjoyed my time. If my friends play it, I will play it.
  • mothercruncher 4 Feb 2019 16:35:15 15,812 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And cunty.
  • SolidSCB 4 Feb 2019 16:40:09 10,620 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's nice to be hopeful, but lets be real, it's a non-starter and I dare say the game will be pretty dead by the time any meaningful changes are brought in.
  • Frogofdoom 4 Feb 2019 16:40:42 11,706 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Stupid really, if they went in at £3 for an armour set and £2 for a vinyl they would probably sell a shit load of them and make more cash than going in over priced.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Feb 2019 17:18:12 5,022 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I will say this though.... every time i went and spoke to anyone in the map, i instantly regretted it and would try to get out of the conversation as soon as possible.
  • Frogofdoom 4 Feb 2019 17:27:51 11,706 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Apparently relationships with people control certain mission unlocks but it's just really jarring to have these snippets of seemingly irrelevant conversation in a demo. It's not like you going to give a shit about anyone that you meet in that time so it would have been better off disabled.
  • Huggybear 4 Feb 2019 22:18:58 1,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Sharz wrote:
    I don't see it as a bad game exactly. Just not a very polished one. Certainly not the product of a massive studio and publisher anyway.
    All we have played is a beta...

I guess, there is every possibility in the main game they will have loading screens every 30 seconds and i will admit that you were right, but c'mon you cant complain about a lack of polish on a game still technically in development.

Also, no one should pre order anything ever (I pre ordered i know but i am an idiot).
    It's been in development for six years, and it's out in a few weeks. Nothing major will change, other than -hopefully- the most critical issues like getting stuck on loading screens.

And they say things like "we don't yet know what the cosmetics will cost".... bullshit. All of that has been decided ages ago because EA needs to be able to project how much money they'll make well in advance.
  • Frogofdoom 4 Feb 2019 22:20:05 11,706 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Someone watched skillups video ;)
  • Bichii 4 Feb 2019 22:22:49 1,038 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Everyone is soooooo negative.

And it's weird how so many games the previews are focused on the "end game". How about if the main game is good?
  • Huggybear 5 Feb 2019 07:48:59 1,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Bichii

It's a looter shooter. To fans of the genre the end game *is* the game. Casuals may buy the game just for the story, but they can't sustain it as a Live service, which is what the devs/EA want.

Both the Division and Destiny did survive a launch with no proper end game of course, but it's not guaranteed.
  • challenge_hanukkah 5 Feb 2019 07:54:16 9,627 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Filthy casuals.
  • Daz190uk 5 Feb 2019 07:58:53 359 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really wanted to be excited about this - I like the flying around elements and I love BioWare - Mass Effect is probably my favourite gaming series.

But from trying the beta and reading articles, I canít see how this game will succeed.

It seems to be offering considerably less than Destiny and I didnít feel it was as fun to play. Even with the Division 2, it looks like Ubisoft have upped their game in terms of features.

Sadly reckon this is dead on arrival - if so, will be a tough year for EA what with BF5 (undeservedly) under performing too.
  • Huggybear 5 Feb 2019 08:07:24 1,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Filthy casuals.
    I don't normally use the word, but buying something like Diablo 3 for the story is just wrong.
  • ozthegweat 5 Feb 2019 08:07:33 2,135 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Huggybear wrote:
    Both the Division and Destiny did survive a launch with no proper end game of course, but it's not guaranteed.
    And during those times, these games barely had any competition. Anthem launches against a Division and Destiny 2 with end games, with Division 2 right around the corner.
  • THFourteen 5 Feb 2019 08:13:45 50,968 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Huggybear wrote:
    Filthy casuals.
    I don't normally use the word, but buying something like Diablo 3 for the story is just wrong.
    Probably in a minority but I enjoyed the Destiny 2 campaign and couldnít really be bothered to play much of the rest of it. Think Iím at power level 520 or so.
  • Dombat 5 Feb 2019 08:14:59 1,503 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Huggybear wrote:
    @Bichii

It's a looter shooter. To fans of the genre the end game *is* the game. Casuals may buy the game just for the story, but they can't sustain it as a Live service, which is what the devs/EA want.

Beat me to it. To add to that, it's an online multiplayer game at heart too. It's not good enough to just sell well at release and have an alright story campaign. Without the endgame it won't sustain its player base, jeapodising it's future for DLC, expansions etc as players will have moved onto or back to other games with a longer term pull.
  • H1ggyLTD 5 Feb 2019 08:24:28 11,594 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daz190uk wrote:
    I really wanted to be excited about this - I like the flying around elements and I love BioWare - Mass Effect is probably my favourite gaming series.

But from trying the beta and reading articles, I canít see how this game will succeed.

It seems to be offering considerably less than Destiny and I didnít feel it was as fun to play. Even with the Division 2, it looks like Ubisoft have upped their game in terms of features.

Sadly reckon this is dead on arrival - if so, will be a tough year for EA what with BF5 (undeservedly) under performing too.
    I'm sure the oodles and oodles they make from FIFA/Madden will dry their eyes.
  • Bichii 5 Feb 2019 08:34:01 1,038 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Huggybear wrote:
    Filthy casuals.
    It's a bioware game, I don't think it's too much to just want a good action RPG story. I have almost zero interest in end game after destiny. That has killed end game or me after I loved diablos end game.
  • SolidSCB 5 Feb 2019 09:04:55 10,620 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sorry, but the one common factor I have with every MMO or MMO-like game is the fact that I almost completely ignore the story.

I watched the cutscenes in Destiny, but all the incidental conversation, grimoire cards and added lore I completely ignored. My gametime on Destiny 1 stands at around 850 hours, I've run literally hundreds of raids and I couldn't tell you for a second who or what Atheon is, what Crota's goal is, where the Vault of Glass came from. The focus is on the endgame grind.

Final Fantasy XIV I skipped every single cutscene and piece of dialogue. To have watched and read all of it would have probably doubled my time with it, valuable time I could spend playing.

The Division, I could just about tell you the bare bones of the story, a lot of it interpreted from the game world itself rather than the cutscenes, most of which I talked over chatting to my squadmates between missions.

Diablo III I honestly don't have a clue and I played for hundreds of hours over multiple characters. The bad guy is called Diablo? I think?

The two genres just don't marry for me. You are going to spend hundreds of hours with these games just to reach the endgame, and then grind your way to the end of that content. The additional bloat of deep lore, branching conversations and a meaningful story I just don't have any room for, nor do a lot of the people who play these type of games.

They should have just done a single player game to be honest.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Feb 2019 09:11:02 11,706 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are loads of people that do love those world's and their lore though.

I'm not one of them.
  • SolidSCB 5 Feb 2019 09:15:29 10,620 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Honestly, 99% of the people I've ever interacted with within these games couldn't give a monkeys. Time reading every scrap of lore etc is valuable time that could be pumped into the grind.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Feb 2019 09:24:15 11,706 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's a made up stat to support your arguement though. You only have to look at the number of books games like wow have spawned to see there are plenty who care.
  • SolidSCB 5 Feb 2019 09:46:18 10,620 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not saying there isn't anyone who cares about it. I know by looking at the Destiny Reddit, for example, there are people who go balls deep on the lore and put things together that possibly even the devs haven't intended. If you've got the time and the patience, great.

But lets not pretend it's the aspect of this genre that the majority of people play them for. People are already calling this game out for the unnecessary dialogue bloat and it hasn't even been released yet.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Feb 2019 10:23:21 11,706 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The point there though is the dialogue is supposed to unlock missions depending on your relationships to the characters apparently. Is it worth it, I have no idea and nor does anyone else so it's best to wait and see before joining in the pile on. I have a feeling they may not be worth the effort but like I said, who knows.
  • SolidSCB 5 Feb 2019 10:33:31 10,620 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it's one of those ideas that sounds better in theory than it is in implementation.

If it works, good for them, but I don't see it. The endgame is the payoff in these things for the people they are hoping will keep it alive.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Feb 2019 10:42:51 11,706 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They are going for the diablo style of end game with 6 difficulty levels, will it be enough? I have my doubts if they aren't going to at least make the story missions replayable across those 6 difficulties. Also the difficulties need to be more significant than bigger health pool and more incoming damage.
  • Ror 5 Feb 2019 12:20:04 18,154 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think everyone in my FFXIV FC cares about the story, and a decent few in my Destiny group do too.

All anecdotal, of course, but everyone has different wants and needs. I want a decent story (especially from a BW game).
  • H1ggyLTD 5 Feb 2019 12:45:44 11,594 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Destiny's story problem was that the story was rubbish, as you'd expect given the turmoil it experienced.

Edited by H1ggyLTD at 12:46:05 05-02-2019
  • Dombat 5 Feb 2019 12:45:44 1,503 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some online games are more story driven than others. FFXIV is a MMO with a greater focus on story than most in the genre, so it would be reasonable for more of its players to feel engaged in it (or want to be invested in it).

I think Bioware get too much credit for their dialogue and storytelling based on (increasing distant) past games. Many lead writers have left Bioware over the years. They are basically now just studios for AAA EA action games.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about the depth and quality of storytelling with this game.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.