Life is Strange: Before the Storm Page 2

• Danbojones Moderator 4 Sep 2017 11:25:01 422 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Probably biased, but man, this is actually almost an improvement on the original. Just finishing up the first ep now.

That junkyard moment...
  • Tomo 4 Sep 2017 12:31:08 15,914 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm going to get this but I'm debating whether to get the Deluxe Edition with the bonus 'episode'. We love LiS in this house, but I hate having to stump up for content when I don't know what it is! I can find next to no useful information about how long the bonus episode will last, etc.

What did other people go for?
  • Switch024 4 Sep 2017 12:46:09 2,636 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm thinking along the same lines. I would have happily paid the fiver to play the first episode at the weekend but I didn't, knowing that I'll miss out on the bonus episode if I don't go for the Deluxe Edition stopped that.
  • Danbojones Moderator 4 Sep 2017 12:52:57 422 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll see if I can find out.
  • Danbojones Moderator 5 Sep 2017 11:34:59 422 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • gamecat 9 Sep 2017 19:52:31 768 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally got some time to play through episode one, it's pretty damn good! There's a sort of sadness to the whole thing, knowing how people end up.. but in a good way, also some funnies the D&D game, and punching dicks, the whole atmosphere is just spot on. OK so the soundtrack will never be as good as LiS, and Chloe's VA is a little off to begin with, (but gets better as the ep goes on), but overall this is at least better episode one of the two games. Also I wonder if we get a bit more info on what was the deal with Max What with Rachel has some superpowers too?
  • Stranded87 10 Sep 2017 08:28:32 1,800 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The more I think about this the more I loved it. If it wasn't for Zelda (and the fact that it's only been one episode so far) this might be my GoTY.
    Stupid Zelda.
  • smoothpete 25 Sep 2017 20:04:54 34,759 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Did anyone else have issues with the screen size settings? I can't fix it and it's annoying the piss out of me. Playing on PS4. I've adjusted in the PS4 menu settings which has done nothing. No in game adjustment options. WTF.
  • LittleSparra 25 Sep 2017 22:38:13 7,926 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What is the release schedule like for this? It is a def buy for.me but only when all the eps are available.

Edited by LittleSparra at 22:38:18 25-09-2017
  • gamecat 25 Sep 2017 23:32:43 768 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The LIS CM said on a reddit AMA, that they were aiming for about 8 to 10 weeks between episodes. Don't know if that includes the Max one too.
  • andy10 20 Oct 2017 00:04:53 274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Episode 2 is out.

Not sure how I feel about this one so far. Opening feels a little flat/stilted... though same criticism could be levelled at episode 1. The quieter times are still some of the most affecting. Must be around half way through so hoping it picks up.
  • Stranded87 20 Oct 2017 20:12:05 1,800 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm really liking it, maybe not quite as much as the first episode (I'm also probably about halfway through) but the first was one of the my favourite gaming experiences of the year, so this is still great.
  • Stranded87 21 Oct 2017 18:27:05 1,800 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Episode 2 done. Maybe not quite as good as the first episode, though my enjoyment of that one was partially driven by being surprised at how good it was. Still really enjoyed this one.
  • andy10 19 Dec 2017 20:39:04 274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Final episode is out - just downloaded. Tissues at the ready (don't).
  • Vortex808 19 Dec 2017 21:02:32 12,355 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice. Will get it soon now they are all out. I like to binge on them.

No patience to wait ages for the next episode.
  • andy10 19 Dec 2017 21:09:23 274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can understand that.

Oddly, with Life is Strange I bought in bulk, post-release, binged, and wished I'd experienced it as the individual episodes came out. There were some brilliant cliffhangers and I would've enjoyed the time to digest each instalment.

With Before the Storm, I've done the opposite and thinking bingeing might've actually been the way to go. Barely started the final episode yet, but I think the tighter focus/story might better support consuming in one go.
  • Jimez 19 Dec 2017 22:29:38 391 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Going to start Episode 3 tomorrow, it's downloading now. However, the internet has gone on a go slow.
  • Zomoniac 20 Dec 2017 09:34:11 9,687 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And finished. Don't look at the spoiler tag if you haven't finished it yet (discusses multiple endings):

I thought that for the most part it was one of the best ones across the whole series, brutally intense, that scene in the junkyard had my heart going like crazy. So powerful and emotional.

But the ending was such a damp squib for me. I chose to hide the truth and thought the ending was a bit meh, everything goes back to normal, Chloe dyes her hair, they get tattoos. I assumed I must've picked the 'wrong' ending so went back and did the other one to find a ten second cutscene of Rachel getting pissed off and it just stopping, very abruptly.

I know some people got a bit annoyed at the ending of LIS and what it meant for the previous choices but at least it had some real emotional weight.
    Before the Storm was much better than I was expecting throughout, but it's really let down by such a non-ending.
  • andy10 20 Dec 2017 19:56:56 274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know how to do spoilers, but all I'll say is that re-doing the final scene in "collector mode" doesn't give you the full payoff. You won't get the full montage.
  • Zomoniac 20 Dec 2017 20:02:24 9,687 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @andy10 ah, good to know. To YouTube!
  • [maven] 22 Dec 2017 14:12:58 5,575 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I disliked some of the (non-main) voice-actors and / or their delivery (James Amber, Eliot), but overall I liked this. Probably not quite as much as LIS itself, but it gets the characters into a place where LIS (or what I remember from it) is believable.

IMO they managed to convey the fascination of Rachel's character well (even if some of her later behaviour seems a bit out of character for my play-through).

The final ending with the 17 missed calls from chloe wrecked me. ;_;
  • andy10 22 Dec 2017 18:27:29 274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Completely agree. The story didn't have the expanse of Life is Strange (and fewer episodes in which to tell it), but made me understand why Rachel was so important to Chloe. I'd be interested to play LIS again now; I suspect I'd be a bit more tolerant of Chloe's attitude than I was the first time round.

The voice acting was indeed a little uneven in places - whoever played James Amber decided to voice him as a robot.

I liked the idea of the conversation/battle mechanic, but most of the time wasn't sure if I'd lost or won as between episodes I forgot what the various symbols meant.
  • Stranded87 2 Jan 2018 16:14:06 1,800 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheLastJimBob wrote:If you haven't finished Season then I would play this first.
    Are you saying play this before the original? If so then anyone reading absolutely DO NOT DO THIS. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

I prefer Before the Storm, in fact it's my GOTY 2017, but it's fully designed to be played after the first game.
  • Kangoo 2 Jan 2018 17:41:10 1,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FInished this last night, felt episode 2 was a bit slow paced but loved episode 3. Hopefully not to long to wait for the bonus episode from the deluxe edition.

Can relate to Chloe a lot more with losing a parent and dealing with a stepfather as a teenager, was nice to see the evolution of a character.

Amazed to see how well this turned out and looking forward to getting a second season later in the year
  • samharper 2 Jan 2018 22:21:14 997 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Much like the original, the thing I'm most upset about is I'll never get to play this for the first time ever again. This series just 100% hits the spot for me, I find it really easy to look past its many shortcomings because it's just so damn engrossing and I just love the characters.

Absolutely cannot wait for the bonus episode.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.