Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Page 14

• Syrette 27 Nov 2017 08:25:21 50,016 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @nickthegun

You can return.to all areas later in the game when the Enigma machine is unlocked.
  • MadCaddy13 29 Nov 2017 20:04:11 2,974 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished the main game. Absolutely loved it, well... mostly!

The first half of the game was pretty tough, second half it really came in to its own.

Itís probably one of the most craziest and funniest games Iíve played also
  • Pumpatron 1 Dec 2017 11:38:15 491 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished this. The story is fucking ridiculous, but good ridiculous. And apart from a couple of annoying difficulty spikes it was fun. I have a few minor niggles with some other stuff, but for the majority of the time itís good, not sure itís as good as TNO, but yeah, I really liked it.
  • Skirlasvoud 1 Dec 2017 13:15:27 4,039 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Good reflection on this game by a pundit who frequently delves into the storytelling and concept aspects of the industry.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 13:18:35 01-12-2017
  • OnlyJoeKing 1 Dec 2017 21:24:51 770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Getting hold of the Lasergewehr was fucking amazing. What a monster! And free recharge points everywhere! That's the way to do the big guns. Fantastic.
  • OnlyJoeKing 3 Dec 2017 00:35:48 770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't really like the perk system. The game is fun enough as it is, without having the need to get X amount of headshots or stealth kills or whatever to power up.

So I have no problem cheesing it, and it's nice that you can just quicksave and load and the perk contributions carry over. But I'd rather it wasn't there at all tbh. Feel I have to do all that shit before I can fully relax and just play the game for fun.
  • Technoishmatt 4 Dec 2017 01:22:24 2,943 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Really enjoying this myself. The cut scenes, story and characters are really
    engaging. Easily the best I can remember from any game. The "issues" are definitely very in your face, but I quite like that they are not subtle. People are not subtle, activists are not subtle. My wife heartily approved of the breastfeeding scene.

That scene after I gave myself up to rescue the hostages, and ends with the daughter betraying Engel was incredibly well done

I can see what some people said about difficulty spikes - had my first one at end of Manhattan, in the penthouse. Took me about 7 attempts of dying fairly quickly! But luckily reloads were instantaneous, and I got through it with heavy usage of grenades, close-up melee takedowns, and running around the area like it was Doom!. That is as far as I got but I still enjoyed it. I remember finding some of the sections in wolf 1 really tough.

I really enjoy the whole feeling quite weak / near death a lot, but being able to overcharge by a lot and then bust in like a maniace with some great weapons. That laser weapon, eek! Made sure to upgrade that first. (After the machinepistole silencer). In wolf 1 I always tried to take out the commanders silently, but tbh most of the time I only do so if I get a bit lucky, and otherwise just blast more nazis.

Finally, the design and graphics on this on the X are just absolutely insane. I spent ages walking around Eva's Hammer admiring the work done. Makes you realise what Destiny's hub spaces could have been like. So gorgeous. Spamming Nazis in the face with my laser gun and melting them wholesale cannot get old :)
  • Technoishmatt 4 Dec 2017 05:16:00 2,943 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just found the Freedom Chronicles. Loved Episode Zero. And man, once again, this game is gorgeous.

All it needs is some coop missions. I loved those in Rage (which I really enjoyed).

But I SUCK at Wolfstone. Dang.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 05:16:39 04-12-2017

Edited by Technoishmatt at 05:17:36 04-12-2017
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2017 07:36:53 75,575 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wrt the perk system, I think I preferred the previous one, even though having a massive skill tree was a bit of a pain in the arse.

Mainly due to the upgrade kits. Like super weapons, I actually finished the game with a few spare because I started hoarding them and there were a few weapons I didn't really use because I wasn't encouraged to.

However, there probably were too many perks in the first one and I did get a bit complicated, but overall the mods for the weapons and such were a lot more fun and creative.

But, overall, I loved it even though it just kind of ended. I didn't even realise that was the last battle. It does very much feel like the second part of a trilogy, so I hope it gets a third.
  • Technoishmatt 5 Dec 2017 00:33:26 2,943 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Holy crapola, just finished it! Probably my GOTY, simply due to the sheer glee I felt while playing it. Double upgraded shotguns for the win. Loved the mid credit scene, and also the achievement for watching out the credits :)

Just a great blockbuster, really well done.
  • StevenJJM 5 Dec 2017 07:18:52 24 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Such a good game, pity that my rig can't handle the requirement. Guess it's time to save up some greenies $$
  • Technoishmatt 5 Dec 2017 22:45:13 2,943 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @pelican_ Loved it in the end. It is a bit different, and you have to get used to the autoaim. I was even playing with game mode turned off as it makes it even prettier. (X here)

The hipfire / ADS firing modes are quite different. In hipfire and akimbo you can just spam quite nicely (the sub-machine gun and shotgun were my favourites).

You get a lot more accuracy with ADS though, and the auto aim immediately aims at the nearest target's face. So for battles with lots of foes, you basically ADS shoot, re-ADS shoot, re-ADS shoot until all the baddies are dead. At higher difficulties you can do that from behind cover. You shouldn't need to aim that much.

I could never quite get the handle of ADS and leaning at the same time as you need to press left trigger and button...

Anyway, by the time I got to New Orleans, I was rampaging with my shoulder charge (absolutely love that), dual wielding shotguns / laser guns, and throwing my hatchet in people's face for quick kills.
  • Wavey 6 Dec 2017 06:43:50 831 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The damage detection on yourself really put me off, has that been fixed / improved yet?
  • [maven] 6 Dec 2017 08:44:57 5,591 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No. Feedback in this game is off.

That said, once I got one of the "suit" upgrades, it improved as I could stealth more.
  • nickthegun 6 Dec 2017 09:59:40 75,575 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The damage feedback is, presumably, still the same in that it's rubbish. But, as I said, the game is so brutal, you're usually fucked if you get shot anyway.

And, yeah, free aiming seems a bit loose. I pretty much couldn't hit anything precisely that was moving. You can one shot those drones with a laser, but I never managed to hit the bastards first time. Scoped didn't seem as bad, though.
  • MadCaddy13 6 Dec 2017 12:17:17 2,974 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pelican_ wrote:
    OK. After my post last night I tweaked the sensitivity and while it is still quite loose it is better. Aiming isn't as precise as I like it to be in my shooters.

Managed to progress up until decapitation time and will play more tonight. Much more into it in than I was at the beginning. The difficulty balance feels a bit off too with some serious spikes e.g The Courtroom
    that and the fact it was all in your head anyway so it didnít matter!!
  • Vortex808 5 Jan 2018 09:46:12 12,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Man, The aiming in this is a bit poop, or maybe I'm just getting a bit shitter at it. Those robe-drones that melt your armour are really annoying me on the NY 'wait for tha choppas' bit.

I think I need to run around more, but if I could take them out earlier with all the other soldiers around, it'd make life much easier.

Will try a few more times tonight before the difficulty gets dropped briefly. Probably to can I play daddy, cos I cba with this. Even worse, I swithered about an upgrade for my grenades that might have been really handy for this bit, but popped two into the lasergewer instead.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Jan 2018 10:04:14 4,533 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought the aiming in this was pretty good, playing on PC. It was sharp, hitboxes were well defined and the weapons felt properly "weighty".

One of the few things I really liked about a game that I otherwise thought was a real disappointment compared to The New Order.
  • Vortex808 5 Jan 2018 10:10:03 12,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe I need to play with the settings, because I'm finding the drones really difficult to hit.

I have been dropped into a confined area with my pistol equipped, so need to set better weapons for fighting back and work out where the armour and health is. I'll also explore more, maybe I can run away and force them to come down a corridor to give me a bit more chance. This 50 health malarkey is a bit annoying in straight out gunfights against higher numbers of enemies though, especially given how quickly your armour disappears!

Hence, my lurking in stealth and high use of the silenced pistol if I can.
  • Salaman 5 Jan 2018 10:24:05 23,274 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Decks Did you find a way to sort it?
    I had no lag when I initially launched it but then I did. Fiddling with graphic settings sometimes sorts it although it's not a particular setting. Just randomly turning stuff on or off sometime seems to free me from lag.

I've been soldiering through but it's a lot less fun.

(in relation to this btw)

Decks wrote:
    The input lag makes it pretty much unplayable for me.
    Edited by Salaman at 08:53:14 23-01-2018
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Jan 2018 10:34:05 16,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh I was talking about Dishonoured 2 on PS4. And no I just gave up on it.
  • Vortex808 10 Jan 2018 08:22:27 12,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okaaay, so things got a bit weird last night. Went to Roswell, and then, um, life changed a bit not long after.

:)

Where is this going now? Am I about halfway through now?
  • chrisno21 10 Jan 2018 12:55:26 2,085 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Will try a few more times tonight before the difficulty gets dropped briefly. Probably to can I play daddy, cos I cba with this.
    Same, it's not much fun.
  • Vortex808 11 Jan 2018 20:05:43 12,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didnt drop difficulty in the end, but did get a bit pissed off there and the courtroom.

This is very pretty on One X. New Orleans is rather nice.
  • Murbs 22 Jan 2018 21:59:56 24,013 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wish I knew about this Paris Fucking Jack game breaking bug. Even reloaded an older save. Still fucked. Beyond angry. Seems I havenít been backing up to the cloud so thatís my game over. Not going to start the whole thing again, good as itís been.

Canít be far from the end, worst Iíve ever been screwed over by a game.
  • Doomspoon 22 Jan 2018 22:18:08 2,927 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just read suggestion about carrying on as if the mission had updated. Go to the shooting range or something? Not sure of the viability though. I'm playing on Xbox but getting hacked off with the textures not loading properly and having neon Goldeneye style paintball splats everywhere instead of bullet or blood decals.

Either it's the game ballsing up or my Xbox GPU is on its way out but I'm not getting problems in any other games.

Edited by Doomspoon at 22:20:55 22-01-2018
  • Murbs 23 Jan 2018 07:27:49 24,013 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Doomspoon looked into that. Can't find the area at all that they're referring to. Only video I can find requires the constrictor harness which I can acquire at this stage if I do an optional mission.

People who have skipped this have mentioned finding later missions broken so not sure it's worth the bother.

Can't believe reloading an older save (which Bethesda recommend) doesn't fix the issue.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.