Spiderman PS4 (2017) Page 36

• Tuffty 15 Oct 2018 13:26:48 4,325 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished the end of act 2 on Sun morning and spent the rest of the day playing it until I reached the end. All because I had to see what happened next, its been a while since a game did that for me. Probably one of if not my favourite Spiderman stories? Made me laugh, cheer, even cry a little. The boss fights at the end were so amazing looking too.

Edited by Tuffty at 13:27:54 15-10-2018
  • the_milkybar_kid 15 Oct 2018 14:06:26 7,970 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm still not very far in. I really like / don't like the way they've built up the Parker / Doc Oc relationship. I'm at the point where Doc's called Peter into the lab saying he's cracked the thing they're working on and should be able to get new funding.

He's such a nice guy! One that just seems to be constantly shit on. I just want the best for the poor bastard. His VO and the mocap in particular is fucking incredible and will make it all the more difficult when the inevitable fall happens. Never thought I'd be emotionally involved in a Spiderman game.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 16:44:25 15-10-2018
  • Derblington 15 Oct 2018 14:19:18 31,493 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Pete/Otto relationship is really well played.
  • The_Goon 19 Oct 2018 11:23:12 1,220 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't get it. I didn't find Batman as boring as this. For all intents and purposes I should like this more. Nearing the end though. Perhaps that will change my mind a little.
  • Zero_g 19 Oct 2018 11:38:43 312 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iím showing at over 60% of the way through but theyíve only just locked up mr negative / Martin Lee .
    Iíve completed almost all of the side quest though Iíve not maxed all of the taskmaster challenges yet.

Does the main story ever really open up? Iíve been eagerly awaiting other iconic villains to pitch up.
  • Graxlar_v3 19 Oct 2018 17:03:34 6,413 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Zero_g you are looking for Act 3 :).

It ramps up significantly from there. First 2 acts are really just setting the pieces in play.
  • Garfy 19 Oct 2018 20:18:33 1,370 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New game+ has been released along with a new ultimate difficulty setting. Comes with a couple of new trophies as well
  • ChiefGB 19 Oct 2018 21:14:50 10,451 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At 5gb I can only assume it has the dlc bolted on as well
  • The_Goon 24 Oct 2018 09:31:28 1,220 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished it last night and Iím left a little torn in my opinion. It was/is a great game in many respects but also failed to keep me entirely engaged for a variety of reasons.

First, the pros. The ending was superb, and as fine a storytelling as Iíve come across in a game ever. The (voice) acting was excellent and really made the game relatable. The scene with May dying is possibly the closest Iíve come to crying during a game. Heartbreaking. As has been mentioned many times before, the traversal system is brilliant. They really nailed the feeling of web-slinging. The little set-pieces (spiralling through suspended pipes/under water towers) really made you feel like you were Spidey. It also goes without saying, the graphics are phenomenal.

That said, something about the game just left me a little unenthused. That all the combat felt very similar is something that made me somewhat bored after a while. They would have done well to space out mechanics over the course of the game I think, rather than essentially letting you do everything right off the bat (albeit you could upgrade skills over time). I also think there was too much of an emphasis on combat. Sure you can stealth-kill but, while he is prone to do so, my experience of Spidey is that he is just as likely to ninja his way to a destination without being seen. That the stealth sections were insta-fail MJ/Miles levels made it all the more annoying.

The pacing of the game was a shame too. Figuratively blowing their load in the last act felt like poor planning/writing. Two-in-one boss battles is fine as a one-off but gets tiresome after that. I would have much rather spent time fighting the ďbig badsĒ than all the grunts.

As Iíve said before, the side missions are forgettable too. I would have liked to have seen more of Spideyís lesser known villains pop-up and for the side missions to be more substantial. They feel very much like filler. The landmark collectibles are great but, those aside, Iím not sure I particularly care for rest. It felt like breaking the narrative to go around fighting crimes/catching pigeons when there's all this mayhem going on in the city. Itís a function of the open-world format I guess but it could have been worked a bit differently for my liking. That said, appreciate you get cues to go around and do non-story stuff and they did try a little to work it into the story.

I enjoyed the game and am glad I played it but itís certainly not one of my favourite games of all time. Itís a solid 8/10 but no more for me. Looking forward to the next game though I think. The Venom cameo at the end!!! Time to get back to Witcher 3 and/or BotW now...
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Oct 2018 11:48:24 24,406 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @The_Goon
    Pretty spot on review and one I agree with. :)
  • Graxlar_v3 24 Oct 2018 12:08:40 6,413 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ^^^^ this, a very fair assessment.

Easy platinum though.
  • paulboy81 24 Oct 2018 14:26:01 269 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @The_Goon

Agree with this generally.

I thoroughly enjoyed it overall but do feel like they stuffed everything and the kitchen sink into the final act, leaving the first two acts a little lacking in purpose and drama at times.

Wasn't a fan of the MJ/Miles insta-fail stealth sections either really.

Beyond that I thought it was great though, coming off an Assassin's Creed game straight into this was quite refreshing actually. No level gating, could just tackle the campaign at my leisure as and when I wanted to.

Even the upgrade system was nicely weighted to the side missions I thought, just picking off the odd collectable or challenge as I passed them on the way to the next campaign mission was giving me plenty of stuff to buy/upgrade, didn't feel like a grind at all.

Looking forward to a sequel.
  • spindle9988 24 Oct 2018 14:29:11 4,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decided to pick up the ps4 pro bundle with this yesterday. Debated on the one x but the games library just didn't warrant the extra £100.

Looking forward to some spidey tonight
  • Farley2k 24 Oct 2018 14:36:20 168 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @The_Goon

Agree with this except the spoiler part.

May dying was just so contrived. It felt like I was supposed to care. They were practically screaming - "look at her die!!! Care damm you!!!" and I just didn't.

But otherwise I agree with everything you said.
  • Graxlar_v3 24 Oct 2018 23:02:03 6,413 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Spent an hour with the DLC, it seems fine.. more Spider-Man if you are up for that. Spent most of my hour clearing crimes from the districts (it really is more Spider-Man)
  • Syrette 24 Oct 2018 23:03:51 50,192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Apparently very short.
  • spindle9988 25 Oct 2018 09:15:22 4,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played for 6 hours straight last night, it looks gorgeous on the pro but I've never seen it on the base so it could still look amazing on that.
    I can see the combat getting repetitive but that's pretty normal in this type of game. Feels like I am going to blitz through it very quickly.
  • The_Goon 5 Nov 2018 10:45:26 1,220 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm so ready to stop playing this. Grinding away the last 20 or so crimes to 100% this is really tiresome. Glad I didn't bother to wait/get the DLC. I'm done with this. It's very close to overstaying its welcome.
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Nov 2018 11:03:37 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why are you bothering 100%ing it then? That's exactly the reason why I don't bother doing that with most games, it just ends up totally ruining the thing.
  • The_Goon 5 Nov 2018 11:22:12 1,220 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Because I'm so close! I have been very tempted to just chuck it in admittedly but it feels like a waste given how much I've got left. I'm not typically a trophy whore but I feel like if it's there for the taking, I might as well.
  • the_milkybar_kid 5 Nov 2018 11:34:14 7,970 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh god. Doc has just gone fully Oc. They've been slowly building it up and teasing it with the goggles and the suit and his personality tics, but it was a real heart wrencher seeing him go full Oc.

I've been playing on Spectacular with no real issue but the difficulty has ramped up significantly with New York now turning to shit. Can't say I'm a massive fan of this direction where the streets are in disarray.
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Nov 2018 12:01:58 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Because I'm so close! I have been very tempted to just chuck it in admittedly but it feels like a waste given how much I've got left. I'm not typically a trophy whore but I feel like if it's there for the taking, I might as well.
    Haha, fair enough. I've certainly force-watched enough TV shows to the end because "this is the final season and I've already given them forty hours whats another ten?!" :D
  • The_Goon 6 Nov 2018 11:29:47 1,220 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The end-game grind with upgraded gadgets makes things a bit easier and a bit more cool but feel a bit less "Spidey".

Also, do you get random events you can help out with? I swear I was making my way to a crime in progress and I definitely heard someone shout "help" and thought I saw someone hanging off the edge of a building but I was in a rush to tick off one more Thug Crime so left them. Not sure if I was imagining it. That would be a cool set piece - someone is falling to their death and you have to time your swing and catch them before they hit the ground.
  • Singularity 6 Nov 2018 11:55:09 3,117 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    I definitely heard someone shout "help" and thought I saw someone hanging off the edge of a building ...
    I left them.
    You monster!
  • The_Goon 6 Nov 2018 13:12:14 1,220 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Singularity wrote:
    The_Goon wrote:
    I definitely heard someone shout "help" and thought I saw someone hanging off the edge of a building ...
    I left them.
    You monster!
    In my defence, there was a hostage situation a few roads over...and I needed to stop it to 100% the district.
  • The_Goon 7 Nov 2018 00:14:52 1,220 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Platted. Off on sale it goes.
  • Raiftel 23 Nov 2018 02:03:17 194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If anyone is thinking of picking up the DLC in the current sale, just a word of warning. The first bit, THE HEIST, was alright. The second bit, TURF WARS, is exceptionally combat heavy. Like the first mission is you fighting fifty guys. It's making the fine (but not amazing combat)in the game really grate, especially the new hideouts which are literal clusterfucks of being swamped by enemy types whilst being rocketed/sniped off screen.

I had no real issues with the difficulty curve in the original game, but TURF WARS is really..really...grinding me down.
  • ChiefGB 24 Nov 2018 22:58:39 10,451 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eurgh I felt the hideouts were less than fun in the base game which had far too much focus on combat encounters really outside the story.
  • Tuffty 25 Nov 2018 09:12:21 4,325 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Turf Wars DLC is really combat heavy yeh. Even the Screwball challenges are either combat/stealth, there's none of the checkpoint ones focused on the swinging. Gets kind of rough in the final wave of the bases where you have each enemy type all at once. Suspension Matrix is the best way to go for these fights if only for the fact that it gives you some breathing time and whittle out the crowd of enemies. I guess my disappointment with both DLCs is that you're earning these tokens but there isn't anything new to spend it on. The new suits are given to you just by playing, there's no new gadget or gadget upgrades, or suit powers or suit mods from what I can tell. I guess it's an opportunity to get more challennge/base tokens if you can't do all the side objectives or gold ranking.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.