Spiderman PS4 (2017) Page 38

• nickthegun 6 Feb 2020 10:21:39 83,632 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I also stuck with the drone gadget that tasers everyone for most of the game. I think its like the first one you get but seems the most useful.

Also, anything that makes brutes easier.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2020 11:16:44 29,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the tips, my problem is that I keep getting shot which I imagine is down to being shit at timing the dodge .
  • DFawkes 6 Feb 2020 13:08:08 32,678 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Starting a juggle seems to break their target lock for a split second, and the dodge timing feels easier to me because you can more clearly see the threat arrow line pointing from the ground up to you.
  • Phattso 14 Jul 2020 12:04:31 26,179 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not exactly a wiiiise fwom your gwave thread resurrection, but still a few months old so I think I'll roll it out anyway... :)

Wiiiise fwom your gwave....

Decks wrote:
    The combat got a lot easier after the first couple of levels. I ended up enjoying it a lot more than the combat in the Batman games.
    This is an interesting take - and I'm hoping it plays out that way for me. I picked Spider-Man up in the sales over the weekend, and basically hate the combat. I've found my basic strategy to win almost any encounter, and I want each encounter to be over ASAP because it's such a weak-sauce version of the Batman combat that I just can't enjoy it. I get that he's a weaker character... so why steal the combat system from games with stronger characters?!

Same with the traversal. I'm enjoying it less than (and I can't believe I'm saying this) the Just Cause games! Definitely less than the Arkham games. I'm enjoying it more the longer I play, and pulling off more audacious moves, but there's definitely a lot of Ass Creed level jank any time I attempt close control.

There must be something about the game I'm loving though, as I spaffed a good six hours into it over the weekend. Just waiting for the amazing (see what I did there) version of Spider-Man most people were giddy over to actually emerge for me.

What I will say is that weaving the make-work activities around the city into the upgrade system is a great feature, and probably the one where it's implemented better than the games it has liberally borrowed from.
  • waggy79 14 Jul 2020 12:23:45 2,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spidermans weaker than Batman? Get outta town!
  • Decks 14 Jul 2020 12:29:17 27,417 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I mean he stops trains with his bare hands and stuff. He's quite a bit stronger than a cross fitter like Batman.

But yeah, was never the biggest fan of the combat in the Batman games and the added mobility in this meant I found it a bit more enjoyable.
  • Phattso 14 Jul 2020 12:37:16 26,179 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh - I'm not much of a Spider-Buff I'd have to say (possibly another reason it's all leaving me a bit cold). I always thought the justification for the (IMO) shonky combat was that Spider-Dude was a weaker frame.

Bottom line is that the Arkham combat was crunchy, tactical, deep, and satisfying. This is a button mashing mess of air juggling - despite them building in a big melee component, going toe-to-toe doesn't work after the first hour.

Maybe I'll come around. But right now. even what should be a slam dunk - the kingpin areas where you have to clear out a building site - are a shadow of the fun of the equivalent in the Batman games, and in fact just devolve into a wave based horde mode.
  • waggy79 14 Jul 2020 12:38:43 2,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cant quite remember but I think once you've unlocked a few more upgrades there'll be alot more options available to you.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Jul 2020 12:40:02 21,498 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh yeah, the amount of gadgets you have and with the skills you obtain you can effectively not touch the floor when fighting.
  • Phattso 14 Jul 2020 12:51:27 26,179 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's where I'm at already - should probably have made that clear. Get a dude juggled into the air and then stay there, yanking the other fools up for a slap. It just isn't very much fun. It's twitchy and fiddly and I end up with a screen full of shitty looking lines showing me where the bullets are gonna go. Just isn't doing it for me.

Also to get the maximum out of the encounter you need to do the bonus objectives, which often involve getting back down on the ground, attacking from behind, etc. etc. So my choice is doable but tedious combat and take the minimum reward from the mission, or arbitrary combat chores making the game edge closer to maddening to get more. Risk/reward. I get it. But the concoction is sour for me.

But sure - as you say - I'm only six hours in; more things will unlock and hopefully I'll end up where Decks was with the combat.
  • Phattso 14 Jul 2020 12:53:37 26,179 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    To avoid being The New Fuzzy, though, I'll reiterate that I'm actually loving the make-work encounters. The crimes (especially those not focused on fisticuffs) and the bag hunt. Even the photos you need to take are a great excuse to wade into the city they've built and really take it all in.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Jul 2020 12:54:56 21,498 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Phattso

Casually mention that all travellers are scum and add 'beta cuck' to your vocabulary and you're there.
  • FoxMoody 14 Jul 2020 13:19:43 131 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Never was a fan of Spiderman or Spiderman games but this god such a high praise that I just had to check it out.
    It didn't disappoint.
  • Decks 14 Jul 2020 13:25:43 27,417 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

But sure - as you say - I'm only six hours in; more things will unlock and hopefully I'll end up where Decks was with the combat.
    Just to be clear, I came to mildly enjoy it rather than thinking it was amazing or anything. As I said I was never really a fan of the fighting in Batman but found this more enjoyable.
  • Phattso 14 Jul 2020 13:28:23 26,179 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd take that. It's a big step up from where I am with it now. :)
  • Derblington 14 Jul 2020 13:52:50 34,242 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Spend more time learning the ground game stuff. It’s similar but not the same as Batman, but it is as robust. It does have a bit of steeper learning curve. It feels a bit broken in the Kingpin section.

There’s a lot more environment interaction though. Maybe check out some YT combat videos for some tips?

There’s a lot of combat in the game. It’ll pay to learn it earlier.
  • waggy79 14 Jul 2020 13:55:42 2,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It asks a lot more of you than the Batman games. That's not a dig at them, it reinvented third person combat. Just that this isn't really designed to be played that way and it'll only get you so far.
    It's definitely a steeper learning curve with all what's going on but you will get into a rhythm as your skill improves.
    Btw I found the suit ability where spidey spins around webbing up the whole room really useful when things get hectic. Dont think I used another one all game.
  • Phattso 14 Jul 2020 15:58:51 26,179 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thanks for the tips, folks, even if it’s basically just “git gud” in the end. 😂
  • Dougs 14 Jul 2020 20:07:33 96,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The boy is going to struggle then I see (although he's no doubt got better reactions than me). He's started it and seems to be thoroughly enjoying himself.
  • Phattso 14 Jul 2020 20:13:38 26,179 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nah, there are ways to make it easier. They’re just also ways that make it more boring. If the boy is playing his first Spider-Man game, I doubt he’d care or notice.

I will want a copy of his critique afterwards though. 10,000 words. Double spaced. Ta.
  • Dougs 14 Jul 2020 20:32:58 96,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    :D
  • SolidSCB 17 Jul 2020 14:53:37 13,777 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I managed to snag this for practically nothing a few weeks ago and am just installing it now.

It says 16 on the box with violence but just how violent are we talking? I wouldn't mind trying to playing it with the little guy (7) if it's suitable, but I don't want to stick it on if it's a bit too much. I'm sat here thinking, how bad can a Spiderman game be? He was fine with the movies, we watch Into the Spiderverse about twice a bloody week.

Advice plz.
  • JamboWayOh 17 Jul 2020 14:54:55 21,498 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's no blood or anything, I'd say it's comparable to a Marvel movie in violence terms.
  • SolidSCB 17 Jul 2020 14:57:42 13,777 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What about the cutscenes? Are there lots of those nasty, nasty swear words?

I guess what I'm actually asking is; should I try and complete it with him or just let him swing around the city being a superhero from time to time?
  • Dougs 17 Jul 2020 15:05:06 96,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    There are some swears apparently but from what I've seen, it's pretty tame they erred on the side of caution with the rating. My 10 year old started it on Monday and is already 40% of the way through.
  • JamboWayOh 17 Jul 2020 15:05:25 21,498 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No swear words, people do die though so there is that. I think letting him swing around would be good. And there's some very safe mini games he can do.
  • SolidSCB 17 Jul 2020 15:14:52 13,777 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for the advice guys, think we will give it a go. If he becomes a murderous, profanity spewing psychopath who tries to spit webs out of his arms I can always just blame the thread and absolve myself of any responsibility.

Watching Into the Spiderverse gave us one of those truly awkward moments in life. Being asked "What does puberty mean?" by a 7 year old on the spot is something I never prepared for.
  • nickthegun 17 Jul 2020 15:17:04 83,632 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I mean, its violent. You can web throw people off of buildings and launch manhole covers into them. People shoot at you and all kinds of stuff.

The story is kind of teen melodrama, people die, he gets the fuck kicked out of him at points.... its not judge dredd but its no saturday morning cartoon either. Spider-Man does get a proper rinse out at the end.

Basically, without getting too spoilery, the entire theme of the game is that a true hero has to overcome adversity and he faces a *lot* of it.
  • nickthegun 17 Jul 2020 15:18:28 83,632 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I never, ever got bored with throwing people off of buildings.
  • up_the_ante 17 Jul 2020 15:18:44 1,440 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Tombstone scene was the worst that I can remember, so you can judge for yourself

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.