• Humperfunk 13 Sep 2018 11:53:52 7,759 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good game this innit bruv.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2018 11:56:31 15,835 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I really want to give this a go but I also know I grew tired of the Arkham games well before the series ended.

Is this as Spider-Arkham as it looks from the combat?
    Nah. Combat is a lot better than Arkham imo and the game has a very different feel in general. It's got it's problems but it's well worth a play through imo.
  • Rivuzu 13 Sep 2018 12:11:20 17,391 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Only thing really similar to the WB Akrham/Mordor games is the warning of an attack marker and the finisher after building up a bar. The rest is much more fluid. And the web gadgets are really easy and good fun to use in combat.

I will never get bored of driveby Spiderman Impact Web an enemy off of a roof top. At that point it's just straight up murder Peter, who are you kidding?
  • Psiloc 13 Sep 2018 12:16:53 4,767 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hang on, thread's putting me off a bit. On a scale of 1 - Ubisoft, how Ubisoft is this? Because that's not a comparison I like to hear
  • Frogofdoom 13 Sep 2018 12:24:25 9,623 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can mostly ignore the ubisoft stuff if you don't want to do it.
  • shamblemonkee 13 Sep 2018 12:30:33 17,937 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have about eleventy hundred crime tokens and 2 challenge tokens :) Can't resist an oppurtunity to fight :)
  • Not-a-reviewer 13 Sep 2018 12:31:01 5,281 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    True but you can do that in Ubisoft games too.
  • Rivuzu 13 Sep 2018 12:32:52 17,391 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All unlocks/upgrades are gated behind collecting tokens from side activities. It's possible to play without that, but then you're missing all of the other suits, suit powers and gadget upgrades that go along side it.

Edit: Aside from the Skill tree - that's XP driven, and is quickest done via the Story.

Edited by Rivuzu at 12:33:23 13-09-2018
  • Psiloc 13 Sep 2018 12:38:05 4,767 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are these side activities actually any good or is it like go to the twinkly icon to collect the twinkly icon?
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Sep 2018 12:42:28 23,354 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Psiloc
    Some are good, some and bad and some are ugly ;)
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Sep 2018 12:46:11 23,354 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Hang on, thread's putting me off a bit. On a scale of 1 - Ubisoft, how Ubisoft is this? Because that's not a comparison I like to hear
    I will get kicked in my virtual nutsack for this statement but...
    I prefer AC Origins to this. To put into context though, I like the Ubi-formula a great deal. Spidey has very similar "icon-bloat" but you can pretty much pick and choose what you wish to do.
    I have been mixing up campaign with sides, puzzles, collecting etc.
  • Rivuzu 13 Sep 2018 12:53:12 17,391 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Are these side activities actually any good or is it like go to the twinkly icon to collect the twinkly icon?
    Some of the more mundane ones are actually still interesting. Like the Photo one. I thought taking a photo of landmarks would be dull AF - but then realised you can take a photo midswing. So just by travelling the city, it was easy to snap them up.

Plus, taking photos of iconic marvel things in New York was kinda fun (Avengers tower, Sanctum Santorum, Wakanda Embassy, etc).

Collecting the backpacks was also pretty fun, as each one had a bit of nostalgia inside.

The rest are more involving.
  • AddieB 13 Sep 2018 12:54:30 552 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I really want to give this a go but I also know I grew tired of the Arkham games well before the series ended.

I personally think Asylum and City are better games. Spidey combat is a bit more varied and fun. Guess I just prefer the story behind bats.
  • The_Goon 13 Sep 2018 14:19:18 958 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    That's a shame. Can't go back either as I didn't manually save. I could play through it again until that point but...

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That means redoing all the busywork (which admittedly was fun).

Need to look into the DLC plans now, see if it's worth plumping up cash for.
    Looks like three standalone episodes released over the coming months until December. Pricing is $24.99 in Dollars so can expect roughly the same in GBP I guess. I'm almost certain to bite on this soon but not sure it's worth it at the price. I'm sure by the time I finish it, it will be half the price, and that would really annoy me.
  • richyroo 13 Sep 2018 17:31:44 254 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Rivuzu wrote:
    That's a shame. Can't go back either as I didn't manually save. I could play through it again until that point but...

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That means redoing all the busywork (which admittedly was fun).

Looks like three standalone episodes released over the coming months until December. Pricing is $24.99 in Dollars so can expect roughly the same in GBP I guess. I'm almost certain to bite on this soon but not sure it's worth it at the price. I'm sure by the time I finish it, it will be half the price, and that would really annoy me.
    The pricing has already been revealed. Its 15.99 for the DLC.

I bought the Digital Deluxe edition which includes the DLC as I had some cheap PSN credit. For what works out to be 5.33 per each piece of DLC, I am not expecting anything of great quality to be honest. I have been burnt once before and told myself never again.

Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.....

Edited by richyroo at 17:34:43 13-09-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Sep 2018 17:49:02 7,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    2nd question

How quickly can I unlock Spider-Man 2099 and does he look as cool as I hope he will?
  • Derblington 13 Sep 2018 18:01:24 31,058 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    2099 is locked behind a fairly high level requirement, IIRC. It'll take a little while.
  • Your-Mother 13 Sep 2018 18:05:47 1,947 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Suit spoilers: There's two 2099 suits

Edited by Your-Mother at 18:06:04 13-09-2018
  • The_Goon 13 Sep 2018 19:29:34 958 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    The_Goon wrote:
    Rivuzu wrote:

The pricing has already been revealed. Its 15.99 for the DLC.

I bought the Digital Deluxe edition which includes the DLC as I had some cheap PSN credit. For what works out to be 5.33 per each piece of DLC, I am not expecting anything of great quality to be honest. I have been burnt once before and told myself never again.

Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.....
    Sweet. Thanks. I couldn't find a price for that anywhere. Think I may bite now actually...
  • Huggybear 13 Sep 2018 19:57:11 1,487 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finished the story. Very enjoyable game. Only complaint was that there were too many side-character stealth missions. Maybe three of them were in any way interesting.

Webslinging and combat were both badass, as long as you put a little effort into them.
  • Vice.Destroyer 13 Sep 2018 21:06:15 7,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought the digital deluxe version, but I am concerned that I am not getting the extras I paid for. Where would I see the theme that I paid for?
  • Derblington 13 Sep 2018 21:24:17 31,058 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In your Themes section (Settings > Themes).

Edited by Derblington at 21:24:27 13-09-2018
  • udat 13 Sep 2018 23:00:03 569 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago

Kinda - the dodge timing is a bit different, in that if you dodge too early, the enemy will react and still hit you. Also you don't leap and flip around the battle arena like Batman did in Arkham Knight, if you aim for an enemy more than a couple of paces away you punch the air, so you need a bit more precision. Spidey can attack enemies a long way away with his web zip move, but it's a separate move from just "attack".

But it's pretty similar, there are guys with melee weapons, guys with shields you have to get behind, gadgets, stealth takedowns, two-button finishers, etc.
  • udat 13 Sep 2018 23:04:26 569 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    I will never get bored of driveby Spiderman Impact Web an enemy off of a roof top. At that point it's just straight up murder Peter, who are you kidding?
    I thought this too, but then i followed a guy over the side of a building after I'd booted him over the side 40-stories up, and they actually get webbed to the side of the building.
  • Frogofdoom 14 Sep 2018 12:21:14 9,623 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    All done, not quite 100% as I have a few random crimes left to do. The chapter 3 boss fights are all great I thought and on the whole loved the game.

Give insomniac the avengers next please :)... Or Deadpool.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 12:22:35 14-09-2018
  • Rivuzu 14 Sep 2018 12:24:27 17,391 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    udat wrote:
    Rivuzu wrote:
    I thought this too, but then i followed a guy over the side of a building after I'd booted him over the side 40-stories up, and they actually get webbed to the side of the building.
    Oh really? That's a bummer. I quite liked the idea of Pete the Homicidal Spider Freak booting bads off of roof tops to their death like he didn't care.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2018 12:35:52 4,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    i was honestly hoping they would make a bigger deal out of i to be honest. If Spiderman kicks someone off the roof, you should see him web him up.
  • Derblington 14 Sep 2018 12:44:26 31,058 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Give insomniac the avengers next please :)... Or Deadpool.
    Crystal Dynamics have The Avengers, don't they? That's why the new Tomb Raider went to Eidos.
  • Derblington 14 Sep 2018 12:45:39 31,058 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    i was honestly hoping they would make a bigger deal out of i to be honest. If Spiderman kicks someone off the roof, you should see him web him up.
    That'd be massively annoying while you're trying to deal with combat and traversal, to have that broken up every time you need to web someone up that's fallen from height.
  • Rivuzu 14 Sep 2018 12:56:09 17,391 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Especially when you concussive blast 5 guys off of a roof at once.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.