Shadow of the Colossus Remastered Page 2

• Sharz 13 Jun 2017 12:07:58 1,808 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So a remaster of a remaster, whoohoo look forward to the PlayStation 5 version
  • greg_wha 13 Jun 2017 12:43:15 1,097 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good story.
  • Cappy 13 Jun 2017 12:56:05 13,801 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shadow of the Colossus has bad controls now?

I can't say I noticed, if anything needs fixing it's the janky looking animation on Wander.
  • minky-kong 13 Jun 2017 13:00:09 13,563 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Will they redo the controls or will it still play worse than something on a BBC Micro?
    This. Loved it on the PS2, but gave us on the remaster at about the 5th colossus as the controls wound me up. Tighten them up and it will be worth the effort of remaking the whole thing to me.
  • Fake_Blood 13 Jun 2017 13:09:21 8,516 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's quite a sad game. Remember playing it just after a bad breakup and it was perfect right then. Felt lonely just riding around in that empty landscape, and actually felt bad after taking down some of the colossi. Good soundtrack too.
  • Tonka 13 Jun 2017 13:11:49 27,823 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wait, is The Last Guardian considered a bit of a failure?
  • Cappy 13 Jun 2017 13:19:45 13,801 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's certainly not an unqualified success. There's a lot of fail in The Last Guardian's protracted production and reception. It's generally agreed upon to be the weakest of the Team Ico games.
  • Tonka 13 Jun 2017 13:30:57 27,823 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    It's generally agreed upon to be the weakest of the Team Ico games.
    That's still not too bad though. A bit like being the least sexy Back Street Boy.
  • Flying_Pig 13 Jun 2017 13:32:53 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm very happy about this - not looked at the video yet, but I adored the PS3 remaster, and will happily pay money to play it again in full 1080p shinyness!

The controls could do with a tweak (just to tighten things up), but provided they retain the atmosphere and feel of the game, then I'll be all in on this.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jun 2017 13:39:24 3,288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tonka If I were rating TLG on the EG ratings scale, it's be a clear "Avoid". Horrible controls, awful camera and a game-flow which mostly involves finding the exact right place to stand so that Trico moves properly and allows you access to whatever hole you need to crawl through to get into the next area. This is the precise opposite of "enjoyable". Oh, and those horrible framerate drops on the base PS4, which are admittedly mostly eliminated on Pro. I spent way too much of the game staring at an indecipherable mess of camera-clipping artefacts. Plus, as I said earlier, the writing is incredibly weak; the game expects the player to bring a level of emotional investment that it does nothing to earn.

By contrast, I'd rate ICO as a "Recommended" and SotC as an "Essential" by the standards of their times, but that's with the proviso that the passage of time hasn't been particularly kind to either of them. A PS4 version of SotC would need to fix the controls as well as just tart up the visuals before I'd be tempted.
  • Blurp 13 Jun 2017 13:43:28 1,359 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm going to skip this one and wait for it to be released on the PS6.
  • dankcushions 13 Jun 2017 14:10:34 327 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    It's certainly not an unqualified success. There's a lot of fail in The Last Guardian's protracted production and reception. It's generally agreed upon to be the weakest of the Team Ico games.
    i am the designated arbiter of what is good: TLG is the best one.

we can talk about the protracted development time, but if you look at that first E3 trailer, TLG when finally released looks almost exactly the same. Ueda had a vision and it was released when it was done, as he is wont to do. ico was a PS1 game.

i think a lot of people didn't connect with the conceit that trico was essentially a puppy you're training. i can only conclude that they're the sort of monsters who kick dogs.
  • Cappy 13 Jun 2017 14:36:03 13,801 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dankcushions wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    Team Ico had one job, make a PS3 game, they had an extremely long generation and started work before the PS3 launched.

The outcome was complete failure to deliver along with dissolution of the development team itself, there's little to be celebrated here. It's pretty unlikely Sony will ever trust Ueda again, so we're talking about a fuck up so absolute that it ensures the only Team Ico games we'll ever see again are remasters of games that get more old and crusty with every year that passes.
  • dankcushions 13 Jun 2017 14:56:35 327 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    dankcushions wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    Team Ico had one job, make a PS3 game, they had an extremely long generation and started work before the PS3 launched.

The outcome was complete failure to deliver along with dissolution of the development team itself, there's little to be celebrated here. It's pretty unlikely Sony will ever trust Ueda again, so we're talking about a fuck up so absolute that it ensures the only Team Ico games we'll ever see again are remasters of games that get more old and crusty with every year that passes.
    i think ueda has learnt that the AAA games development model cannot support auteurs.

he's in a smaller team now and i imagine his life will be better for it. as far as i know gendesign are basically 'team ico' anyway.
  • Derblington 14 Jun 2017 17:19:07 30,766 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    "It’s the same, but player preferences for controls and such change over time, so we’re working on implementing a more modernized way to play,” Yoshida stated. “And of course you can play with a feel of the original version, but what we’re doing is showing how great the original work is, using today’s technology."
  • crashVoodoo 14 Jun 2017 17:41:45 5,763 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd jumped ship to Xbox before these games released so missed out on them. Proper looking forward to this coming out.
  • Awimbawe 14 Jun 2017 18:08:35 609 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of my favourite games ever so Sony will be getting my money for a third time and I'm guessing lot's of folk are in the same boat. Can't wait for this despite having completed it numerous times.

Edited by Awimbawe at 18:09:00 14-06-2017
  • Captain_Toad 14 Jun 2017 22:29:06 581 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Love this game but am getting bored of the remake/remaster/re-release culture of late.

Switch is the biggest culprit but they are all at it.
  • Derblington 14 Jun 2017 22:43:30 30,766 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

You're talking like it was purposeful. It wasn't. They encountered a number of issues along the way that delayed the game over and over. The celebration is in the game actually releasing rather than being canned, and then with a decent critical reception. No idea on sales but it's arguably less important for Sony than the what the game offers for their portfolio.

Not sure about Sony not trusting Ueda either, but it's really not relevant to any discussion about the title regardless. None of the information around the development process really affects the result of the title that we have. It's a weird thing to hold as criticism when talking about the overall success of the game.
  • Humperfunk 14 Jun 2017 23:10:01 7,535 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thread title is inaccurate and needs to be changed to Remake please thanks x
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Jun 2017 23:13:59 22,179 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    dankcushions wrote:
    Cappy wrote:

Cappy will Cappy.
  • Bastion_S 15 Jun 2017 02:12:14 13 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I am not sure to get this one since i already have both ps2 and ps3 version. They need to add new content or it would be entirely same.
  • Flying_Pig 26 Jun 2017 13:04:01 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thinking about this in comparison to last year's Ratchet & Clank remake.

I'm replaying the original (R&C) at the moment, and it's staggering quite how much was changed to improve the game - all of which resulted in a quality game.

I'm not suggesting that Bluepoint should make anything like the changes to SotC as were made to R&C, but there's definitely scope/precedent for some major improvements.

So long as the game retains its soul, then I'd be fine with a few improvements.
  • Flying_Pig 30 Jan 2018 09:23:06 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    While this was always nailed on as a day-1 purchase, the EG review has really make me excited for the game. It sounds like BluePoint have delivered exactly what I'd hoped for (see my post above - from 8 months ago!) - a stunning graphical update (1080p/60!!) and a few tweaks to the underlying game, but still retaining the feel and 'soul' of the original.

Can't wait!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 30 Jan 2018 09:25:27 13,800 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I'm really looking forward to it having never played the original. The graphics are some of the best I've seen.
  • monkman76 30 Jan 2018 09:32:20 12,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Might have to break 2018's duck for this.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.