Monster Hunter World Page 66

• Rivuzu 13 Feb 2018 11:12:03 17,262 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Bambot Gunlance 101, or "How I learned to poke and love the explosions".

Gunlance is a very, very aggressive weapon. You want to be stuck to the monsters like velcro, either face or tail, and constantly be goading them in to attack. Similar to the lance, your strength is in being a rock that they cannot get past and your shield works great for that. You don't get any fancy shield skills like lance, but that's ok! You can still take an attack that would instantly KO you to the chin and laugh at the chip damage it does instead.

You're right in saying shelling only hits close range, and that's sort of the point. The Gun part of Gunlance is misleading slightly, it should just be called a boomstick and be done with it. Normal shelling shots are fantastic because they reset your normal poke combo. You can go poke, poke, poke, shelling and straight back into the 3 hit string. This lets you keep up a constant pressure on the monsters. Shelling itself is unique though as it bypasses any hardness resistance; attacks that normally bounce your melee attacks will do the full damage using a shelling shot.

There aren't many unique moves, and mostly you want to go for something called Full Burst. This happens when you slam your lance down and press the shelling button, and it'll shoot every single one of the shells in your lance in a single burst. Damage on this varies by shelling type, with Normal shelling getting the best of this as it has the most ammo (5 shells, whilst Wide has 2 shells and Long has 3 shells).

How do you do that though? Well, lets talk combos. You have your standard poke melee and shelling button sorted out, but what if the opponent is slightly further away? Press forward + melee (triangle on PS4 - I'll use PS4 notations going ahead for ease) and your do a short hop forwards and a rising stab with your gunlance so it's pointing in the air. From here, if you press shelling, you'll actually shoot into the air itself - very useful on some monsters like Legiana, who constantly hover just above you, the giant fucking chicken cunt. If you want to do this rising slash whilst stationary, triangle+circle will let you do that.

When you've got your boomstick pointing to the sky, your next aim should be to slam it down. If you did the forward+triangle rising stab, your follow up is triangle+circle. If you did triangle+circle standing, you want to do just triangle. It's clumsy in this part of the combo, but once you get the hang of it you'll be pulling it off second nature. Besides, now is the good bit. Now you've slammed your lance down, full shelling! Press circle when it hits the ground to blow your load and shoot every single one of your shots out. BLAMMO. Remember, this is unresisted damage, and will hit for as many bullets as you have. Glorious!

Following from here, pressing triangle again from full shelling will do a high damage wide sweeping attack - this is actually your highest damage "normal" attack that doesn't use explosions! Highly useful. Pressing triangle or circle again afterwards will see you thrust the lance forwards, shoot off the tip which can get stuck in the monster and then explode. This is great for breaking parts and doing additional damage - though, not my preference. After the triangle slash, press R2+Circle and perform a quick reload. This will reload your entire chamber, good to go for another cycle of Rising, Slamming, Shelling, Sweep.

You do have a move called Wyvernfire which is ok at best but honestly, not one I rate that much. R2+Triangle+Circle sees you hold still for a moment whilst you build up a charge in your lance and shoot off a single powerful shot. This has a long cooldown, is good for breaking parts (note: not severing, breaking!) but the damage is actually lesser than Full Burst most of the time. Only time I use it is on a sleeping monster for the damage boost.

I highly rate the Rathian gunlance should you go down that route. It is the only one that has Level 4 Normal shelling. This means the damage is higher than the others, plus it has 5 shells. It's a pure DPS beast. Poison too, and most monsters are vulnerable to that.

You also have the same dodge moves as the Lance, being short hops to the side, back or forwards which is really good for just re positioning. You'll never properly dodge out of the way, but that's not your job. You have a giant shield for a reason. Eat those attacks and laugh at the futility as you lose stamina and a tiny amount of HP.

As with most melee weapons, your positioning is vital. Never be afraid to sheath and run around to another point on the monster - you'll be doing this a lot, just to make sure you stick to them. It's similar to the Great Sword in that aspect. Whilst other weapons get mobility, you get insane amounts of burst damage in a short time. Be prepared to be blasting off several hundreds in single combos.

You will notice though that the gunlance loses sharpness more than others, especially when you use Wyvernstake - regardless of whether it hits or not. For this reason alone, I'd say Speed Sharpening is a vital skill on top of Guard (Reduce stamina cost of guarding attacks) and Capacity Boost (to give you an extra shell, improving your full burst damage). Skills like Critical Eye or Weakness Exploit are also great at buffing your damage with critical hits, as well as the standard Attack Boost.

So yeah. Gunlance. Great weapon. Fun weapon. Interesting skill set, fun main combo and hilarious amounts of damage that can be pumped up in a short time. Hope this helps!

Edited by Rivuzu at 11:13:05 13-02-2018
  • Rivuzu 13 Feb 2018 11:12:44 17,262 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tl;dr Gunlances are great, stick them with the sharp end and go kaboom.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Feb 2018 11:14:27 6,727 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This thread needs someone like GoodForm. Rivuzu, will you take that mantle?

Edited by JamboWayOh at 11:32:19 13-02-2018
  • Alastair 13 Feb 2018 11:16:41 22,014 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    These thread needs someone like GoodForm.
    I'm fairly sure it doesn't...
  • Rivuzu 13 Feb 2018 11:19:20 17,262 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The fucking jump mechanics boys, let me tell you
  • JamboWayOh 13 Feb 2018 11:31:43 6,727 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sorry Alastair. He's already accepted.

Back to serious talk, how far does HR go to and are we to expect dlc monsters at all? Actually I wouldn't mind a new area.
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Feb 2018 11:32:58 9,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dlc monsters already confirmed aren't they?
  • Alastair 13 Feb 2018 11:33:12 22,014 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've heard talk of Deviljho arriving with DLC.

Have people been getting small and large crowns for different monster sizes?
    Is there any way to encourage a large or small monster?
  • Rivuzu 13 Feb 2018 11:33:37 17,262 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HR goes to 99, apparently.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Feb 2018 11:35:44 2,457 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    is it 99 i thought it was 100.

They are doing free content drops atm
  • Alastair 13 Feb 2018 11:38:40 22,014 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There's a trophy for HR 100, so it had better not stop at 99!!
  • Alastair 13 Feb 2018 11:39:21 22,014 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Still don't seem to have received the 5million pack. Although it shows up in the daily login bonus list...

/confused
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Feb 2018 11:39:54 2,457 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @Alastair it drops into your item box, so you may have had it already.
  • Alastair 13 Feb 2018 11:41:10 22,014 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh. Is there any indication...?
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Feb 2018 11:46:23 9,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It popped up for me whilst claiming my login bonus, about a week ago.

Not had the 6m one yet though.
  • shamblemonkee 13 Feb 2018 11:46:49 17,899 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    when you login in and it tells you. :p
  • Alastair 13 Feb 2018 11:48:35 22,014 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I finished the LR story last night. \o/
    So many side quest bits and bobs that I want to do, as well as progressing the main questline:
    - Rathian and 'los to get the bandit mantle
    - Ecology hunting to get a couple of the trophies
    - Bow practice
    - SA practice
    - Poogie costumes
    - Getting enough Boulder Bones to make all the Dragonbone weapons
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Feb 2018 11:51:03 9,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • chrisno21 13 Feb 2018 11:54:04 1,986 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    HR goes to 99, apparently.
    I've encountered hunters over HR100 so it doesn't stop there.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Feb 2018 11:54:48 6,727 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ha! Where's that from?
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Feb 2018 11:55:21 9,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some japanese twitter account.
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Feb 2018 11:57:55 9,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Capcom should open a franchise restaurant.
  • Rivuzu 13 Feb 2018 12:00:16 17,262 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't say it stopped there... ahem...

/has no idea

Typically the last "story" mission is at HR99 though.
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Feb 2018 12:17:22 9,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...and then he said...will the game tell me?

AGAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Feb 2018 12:18:37 9,170 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're talking insect glaive, you need to fire the insect at the monster to fill the vails.

Some good vids on u tooob.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.