Monster Hunter World Page 89

• President_Weasel 5 Mar 2018 12:04:48 12,349 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    This fucking Rathalos in the arena is getting on my tits.
    It was brutal. If you run around in terror for about fifteen minutes though, it seems to get a little tired and let you get some hits in. I really made use of the more faints than usual you get for that one.
  • IpromithiusI 5 Mar 2018 12:09:04 23 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Flash it out of the air and bring more bugs to make more mid-fight. Once its down, hack the tail off asap and its a walk then. Dont flash it (oo err) on the ground, it'll just flail about, wait for it to take off.
  • IpromithiusI 5 Mar 2018 12:12:06 23 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I think i've broken the game. Playing lance with 3 piece Vaal Hazak, health regen skills and the health on hit augment. 3 points in Guard. Block everything and the odd hit that gets through gets healed up in seconds. Lance is surprisingly aggressive and mobile once you get the hang of it. The biggest thing about it is learning to stand your ground and block when you are so used to rolling away normally.

Diablos is stupidly easy with it, power guard the charges and auto counter everything, you can even block the bury attack.
  • brokenkey 5 Mar 2018 12:16:22 9,686 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can you try that build against Tempered Odogaron and see how you get on?
  • Rivuzu 5 Mar 2018 12:41:00 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @President_Weasel Turns out all arena quests are aimed at 2 people, regardless of if you solo them. So, that's a double health rath. Errr...

Got my Divine Slasher (the arena LongSword) so I'll probably never touch that again.
  • Ddanno 5 Mar 2018 13:09:05 1,232 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm finally on this. Charge Blade is outrageous fun, but I can't stay away from my Sweet Sweet Switch Axe. Hated that first monster in Crystal Highlands.

Edited by Ddanno at 13:09:58 05-03-2018
  • IpromithiusI 5 Mar 2018 13:19:52 23 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Did him several times, Lance is probably the best weapon going against him, just sit in counter thrust and laugh as he kills himself against you.

Solo'd the final mission against Legi, Odo, Diablos & Rath with it and didn't feel threatened at all. I'm gonna give Nergi and Teo a go tonight and see how Guard 3 stands up to the supers. Guard 5 totally blocked them so I suspect it'll be fine.
  • brokenkey 5 Mar 2018 13:23:35 9,686 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    IpromithiusI wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    Did him several times, Lance is probably the best weapon going against him, just sit in counter thrust and laugh as he kills himself against you.

Paging @oldschoolsoviet to the thread...
  • Rivuzu 5 Mar 2018 13:27:53 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @IpromithiusI For Teo specifically, I'd recommend grabbing the Urugaan armour set if you haven't already for Guard Up. It makes attacks that are normally unblockable, blockable. Including Teostra when he goes supernova and Xeno'Jiva's big ol laser beams.
  • IpromithiusI 5 Mar 2018 13:47:09 23 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Rivuzu

Yep thats the set I started with with Lance but it's so fugly! MH law says Fashion>function ;)
  • Rivuzu 5 Mar 2018 13:48:58 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @IpromithiusI Just don't wear the hat. I don't mind it so much because it's the right image of an unstoppable wall of meat that works for the lance!

Looks funny when using an agile weapon too. Doing the dual blade cartwheel along a monsters back whilst looking like a golden potato.
  • IpromithiusI 5 Mar 2018 18:26:58 23 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Here's my build:

Lance https://imgur.com/gallery/f92aM

Uses 1 weakness exploit deco and 1 recovery up deco. Leaves you 5 level 1 slots for resist gems etc if you fancy those, or something like speed eating for the rare oshit moment.

Considering switching to the Xeno lance as that has 2 level 3 slots and I can put a flinch free in, you do get batted around a bit by the endless dual bladers.
  • oldschoolsoviet 5 Mar 2018 18:40:05 6,486 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @brokenkey

Is that summons because of the fainting epidemic the other day ? :)

Too busy watching your health evaporate, and not enough watching O-doggy in front of me. Forgot to switch to bleed res jewels too......

Regarding O-doggy though, I find sticking to his front left leg means a lot of his attacks just miss - he's got a very strange hitbox that you can slide past when he lunges.
  • Rivuzu 5 Mar 2018 18:43:19 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's kinda funny that odog is a giant dog who makes you sit on command (crouch to get rid of bleed) or eat a treat (jerky).
  • GarlVinland 6 Mar 2018 10:29:41 3,193 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another day, another epic farming run to put together a build. This time it was the lance. Nerg lance with 3 pieces of Uragaan plus Ironside Charm III gives Guard 5 and Guard Up, and makes me one turtling pokey boi. Just tape that right trigger down and press triangle while watching some YouTube.

It's probably not the most dynamic playstyle but it works. How do you get more mobility? The hop and shield bash don't cover a huge distance and walking with shield out is sluggish. Do you basically have to sheathe every time you need to catch up to a monster, or are you supposed to use the charge to get around?
  • Frogofdoom 6 Mar 2018 10:35:34 8,590 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Use the charge, its the best mobility move in the game and you can basically catch any monster up even when its fleeing.

Also guard 3 is plenty.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 10:36:10 06-03-2018
  • GarlVinland 6 Mar 2018 10:51:27 3,193 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the tip. In that case I can drop the Ironside Charm once I get a Guard deco and swap it for Attack or something.
  • Rivuzu 6 Mar 2018 12:44:52 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a problem when playing standard Lance. I keep sprinting. Totally intentionally, but I love the image of becoming a battering ram with a pointy stick, or leaping into the air and stabbing down.

Lance is fun. Really fun. I need to make more Lances. Hmm.
  • brokenkey 6 Mar 2018 13:06:38 9,686 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You just need the Nergigante one.
  • Zidargh 6 Mar 2018 13:17:25 1,917 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got it. Played it. Loved it.

Also feel f***ing guilty for attacking the "monsters" when they're not hostile.
  • Rivuzu 6 Mar 2018 13:21:21 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @brokenkey Just missing the gem for the final Nerg one. Maybe I should crack on with the weekly, get that over with quickish.
  • R5 6 Mar 2018 13:24:59 7 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Odogaron lance with Elementless is where it's at.
  • Alastair 6 Mar 2018 14:29:10 22,135 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For the lance charge, do I hold down triangle and circle while guarding?
    And then keep them held down? It seems to stop straight away - I'm sure in MHTri you'd keep running.

Also, occasionally I notice that after a hit my health bar has a yellow bit that I would expect to be red. Why's that then?
  • GarlVinland 6 Mar 2018 15:02:00 3,193 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For the charge, I thought the same, but you just need to tap triangle and circle to initiate it. Holding it stops you dead.
  • R5 6 Mar 2018 15:03:37 7 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Yellow health means you have recovery speed up from somewhere.
  • Alastair 6 Mar 2018 15:19:47 22,135 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh, cool.
    From one of the mushroomancer effects I guess.
  • Frogofdoom 6 Mar 2018 15:30:30 8,590 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought my pad was broken when my charge wouldn't work at first, tried another and the same thing. It was at that point I realised it was just a quite counter intuitive move :D
  • GarlVinland 6 Mar 2018 18:00:03 3,193 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My gf casually mentioned last night that she's watched me play MHW recently and wouldn't mind joining in. She doesn't have a PS4 but does have a Switch, and now I'm teetering on the precipice again ready to drop 80 on MHXX. :eek:

Been watching some YT tutorials and the UI seems fairly similar to World. Even if most of it is gibberish, it seems there are enough icons for things like weapon types, potions etc to just about muddle through.

Anyone who's played MH Generations, is that misleading and it's actually a terrible idea? We wouldn't be too fussed if we didn't get the full depth of the RPG systems etc, we'd just like some of that sweet co-op hunting action (once we found the 'invite a friend' menu).
  • Graxlar_v3 6 Mar 2018 18:34:06 2,789 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @GarlVinland very bad idea!!!
  • R5 6 Mar 2018 18:42:06 7 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I say go for it. Even if you have to use some guides and bumble through initially, it's well worth it in the end. Although it obviously lacks the new features and quality of life improvements of World, in terms of sheer content (monsters, weapons, armour, maps) MHXX is by far the best in the series.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.