Monster Hunter World Page 90

• Frogofdoom 6 Mar 2018 18:48:07 8,590 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Better to get her a cheap ps4 and mhw. The handheld games aren't as friendly as the console version and suffer from loading areas and other annoyances.
  • Graxlar_v3 6 Mar 2018 18:49:11 2,789 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Better to get her a cheap ps4 and mhw. The handheld games aren't as friendly as the console version and suffer from loading areas and other annoyances.
    Also no English language settings
  • GarlVinland 7 Mar 2018 09:49:51 3,193 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Hadn't considered that. Good point.

I'll stick to Bayonetta for now and hope they localise MHXX.
  • brokenkey 7 Mar 2018 10:25:09 9,686 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    This one unlocked for me, looks like a laugh*
    https://monsterhunterworld.wiki.fextralife.com/The+White+Winds+of+the+New+World

*a laugh where you'll eventually get to Diablos and realise you need to swap the IG which was so effective earlier for a lance.
    Right, so I tried this three times yesterday solo and got spanked at the Diablos/Rathalos combo - Carting allows you to swap the IG for a Lance, but Guard-Lancing doesn't help if they are coming at you from two directions it seems.

Anyone got any super-tips?
  • Alastair 7 Mar 2018 13:04:01 22,135 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought of you got the Guard skill high enough then attacks from behind were still blocked..?
  • Rivuzu 7 Mar 2018 13:16:12 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @brokenkey Run through it a few times now. Never solo though. This is absolutely a team exercise.

Each one hat comes in will come in with 1/4 of their normal HP. Bring traps as soon as Diablos turns up, and focus on smashing him down with a group as quickly as possible. Don't use the rocks or Dragonator until the Rath and Diablos are in the same arena. Keep Rath permanently grounded with the 13 flashbugs you can potentially bring.

Also, make a Farcaster. Need to swap equips? Farcast back to the camp outside, change, re-enter.

Aside from that, usual strategies would apply. Reduced health make sleep bombing even more useful. Remember to make the most of your mantles and boosters (Vitality + Health if you're struggling, otherwise I found Impact really solid if you can trap a monster. Just keep bashing its face in for that nice and easy stun).
  • Rivuzu 7 Mar 2018 13:17:06 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Alastair That's not the case. It's only when you do the perfect guard that drains stamina do you get a 360 block. Otherwise it's always directional.

Upping the guard skill only reduces chip and stamina drain I think.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Mar 2018 13:27:33 8,590 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    At rank 3 even the biggest hits are trivial so the skills are better spent on weakness exploit or other fun skills.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Mar 2018 16:01:37 7,796 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have the Dying Light Switch Axe and it seems to make mincemeat of everything I'm questioning whether it's pointless to finish the other development trees. Shall I just go for a new weapon completely?
  • Frogofdoom 7 Mar 2018 16:02:55 8,590 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Go for a different weapon, completely changes the gameplay if you switch to a new one.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Mar 2018 16:10:22 7,796 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok, so I like big damage numbers and I'm used to a slow game of picking my shots and letting rip when I see an opening, what weapon would compliment that style, fwiw I tried the bows and bowgun varieties and I hated them.
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Mar 2018 16:11:35 2,789 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @JamboWayOh Great Sword or Hammer. The hammer is a bit more mobile but getting good at Great Sword is alot of fun.

Lastly, you could move to charge blade.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Mar 2018 16:17:16 7,796 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

Hmmm, I never considered those. I'm probably leaning away from Charge Blade as it reminds me too much of the Switch Axe in blade mode.
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Mar 2018 16:23:29 2,789 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @JamboWayOh I can see that but the charge blade is very in depth and is actually a very different play style.
  • Rivuzu 7 Mar 2018 16:36:14 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gunlance, Royal Burst, with Capacity Boost and as many shelling damage upgrades as you can.

Do you like doing 36x6 damage, unresisted and without a care for your sharpness, in a single combo not including your normal hits to a Diablos's face?
  • GarlVinland 7 Mar 2018 17:07:26 3,193 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    @JamboWayOh I can see that but the charge blade is very in depth and is actually a very different play style.
    Is the switch axe basically an EZ mode charge blade? I'd never even considered the former because everyone loves the latter so much and I was under the impression they were very similar, it never even occurred to me that unmorphed the switch axe is a greatsword rather than sword and shield. I think I have my next weapon picked out.
  • Alastair 7 Mar 2018 17:44:51 22,135 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I am weaning myself off IG..

Lance - great for defence and it was easy to craft a blue sharpness one straight off. Can feel a bit rinse and repeat - Guard, poke, guard, triple poke, guard, poke again. I'm sure I'm missing something..

Bow - I like the idea of the bow but always feel it isn't doing enough damage. Like the status effects

Switch Axe - nice for laying down the smack. Feel like I would be limited against flying monsters - I guess the answer is to use flash pods?
  • spamdangled 7 Mar 2018 17:47:13 31,630 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I keep grouping with people who make the bow look like the best thing ever.

As someone who has spent the last 230-odd hours exclusively using Dual Blades, I am looking to diversify into ranged weapons.

Edited by spamdangled at 17:48:30 07-03-2018
  • spamdangled 7 Mar 2018 17:50:18 31,630 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's that or the gunlance atm.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Mar 2018 17:52:28 7,796 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I am weaning myself off IG..

Lance - great for defence and it was easy to craft a blue sharpness one straight off. Can feel a bit rinse and repeat - Guard, poke, guard, triple poke, guard, poke again. I'm sure I'm missing something..

Bow - I like the idea of the bow but always feel it isn't doing enough damage. Like the status effects

Switch Axe - nice for laying down the smack. Feel like I would be limited against flying monsters - I guess the answer is to use flash pods?
    For switch axe yeah use some flash pods then break those wings. Tbh most flying enemies seem to be on the ground a lot bar rathian/rathalos which almost troll you with their flying shenanigans.
  • spamdangled 7 Mar 2018 17:54:45 31,630 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JamboWayOh Kushala Daora says hi. That fucker loves to stay in the air and surround himself in a cyclone.
  • Rivuzu 7 Mar 2018 17:59:14 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm a SnS convert after the last few nights. Just so much better having immediate access to slinger ammo.
  • spamdangled 7 Mar 2018 18:01:39 31,630 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rivuzu SnS?
  • GarlVinland 7 Mar 2018 18:03:33 3,193 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spamdangled wrote:
    I keep grouping with people who make the bow look like the best thing ever.

As someone who has spent the last 230-odd hours exclusively using Dual Blades, I am looking to diversify into ranged weapons.
    I'm doing the opposite, I'm putting together a dual blades build after playing 100hrs of bow.

Bow used correctly is utterly devastating. I'm probably not even using it well and it still hits like a truck. There's few things more satisfying than the pop and fizz of a good Dragon Piercer. Plus with good stamina management you can just dance around spamming spread shot/power shot.
  • Rivuzu 7 Mar 2018 18:06:14 17,298 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @spamdangled Sword and Shield.

I'd actually recommend it for you, coming from Dual Blades. Way more versatility in this.
  • spamdangled 7 Mar 2018 18:18:29 31,630 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rivuzu gotcha. I think robthehermit is a sword and shield guy as well, iirc.
  • spamdangled 7 Mar 2018 19:54:00 31,630 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I just learned that Pukei Pukei likes to fly when he's tempered.

That was interesting.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Mar 2018 21:30:04 7,796 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So after some training, no to great sword, charge blade is all sorts of intriguing but I'll need lots of practice and hammer seems right up my alley. Lance seemed a bit too much of a win button. I guess I like getting stuck in like a belligerent arsehat.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Mar 2018 21:38:11 8,590 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lance is great for lots of things but not everything, I find the hammer a lot easier for some fights, Ogdaron and Urugaan are 2 of them.
  • brokenkey 7 Mar 2018 21:59:22 9,686 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmm. Farcaster doesn't work in the arena, so the only way to swap out weapons is to cart.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.