Monster Hunter World Page 91

• GarlVinland 8 Mar 2018 10:00:03 3,193 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I changed to Switch Axe and I'm never going back! Reach of an axe, power of a greatsword, and you even get a Wyvernfire equivalent where you attach yourself to the monster then self-detonate! Brings a tear to my eye how great it is.

Less meter management than the Charge Blade too, plus who really needs a shield unless you're a lancer?

Edited by GarlVinland at 10:00:40 08-03-2018
  • Rivuzu 8 Mar 2018 10:19:25 17,298 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JamboWayOh No to great sword? Boo. You're missing out. I love it, easily my favorite weapon.

Who doesn't like to slap a beastie around with a giant slab of sharpened metal?
  • JamboWayOh 8 Mar 2018 11:28:02 7,849 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rivuzu

Well my switch axe turns into s great sword but I couldn't work with that limited movement. Also, tried the hammer last night against Bezelgeuse, hmm, the limited range of it hurts and while you are mobile and can deal heavy damage you have to constantly charge it to deal that damage. I was also pissed off because I forgot to use earplugs and every other action was a roar it was almost a roar RNG overload. I actually counted and for a fight which took just shy of 30 minutes he roar stunned me 16 times.
  • Rivuzu 8 Mar 2018 11:36:55 17,298 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JamboWayOh Interesting. I've used the Switch Axe a fair amount, and although it does turn into a sword, I really wouldn't compare the two. My time using the Switch Axe has been alright, but almost all of the attacks "ground" you and mean you have no mobility when attacking. Also some long animations which cannot be evaded out of.

Thing with the great sword is you will run around 90% of the time with it sheathed. Very rarely will you be able to pull off a full combo, but that's ok because you can outdamage any other weapon in a single drawing hit. If you're charging and something is coming at you, the shoulder barge tackle reduces the damage you'd take and gives you super armor and prevents you getting knocked away.

Way more position heavy than any other weapon though. As a GS main I envy hammers just needing to run in and out of the face, or any agile weapon as they treat the monster like a climbing frame (looking at you, DB and IG!)
  • JamboWayOh 8 Mar 2018 11:44:11 7,849 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rivuzu

I don't agree about the lack of mobility, as I've used the weapon exclusively I've come to properly notice it's little idiosyncrasies. The axe mode is essentially a poking weapon to take a quick attack then roll away, also with larger enemies you can stay underneath and go for a wild swing. You definitely have to pick your battles but it's mobility unsheathed, range and great damage output just makes my day. The only monster that is a test is Kirin even with a high elderseal. He's just a cunt .
  • spamdangled 8 Mar 2018 16:26:12 31,630 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    240 hours... how the fuck have I not unlocked everything yet?

This game is generous beyond belief.
  • sid92 8 Mar 2018 18:22:02 3,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    I changed to Switch Axe and I'm never going back! Reach of an axe, power of a greatsword, and you even get a Wyvernfire equivalent where you attach yourself to the monster then self-detonate! Brings a tear to my eye how great it is.

Less meter management than the Charge Blade too, plus who really needs a shield unless you're a lancer?
    Once you go Switch Axe you never go back. I really like the Charge Blade and Hammer but nothing compares to the mighty Switch Axe.
  • lordofdeadside 8 Mar 2018 19:16:44 1,325 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That Diablos fight, itís so tough. Iím rinsing through my consumables and just getting carted again and again. Got a decent armour set, water weapon, defence charm & meal too. Such a massive difficultly spike.

Might have to leave it until I can co-op it.
  • Frogofdoom 8 Mar 2018 19:39:52 8,616 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it the burrows that are doing you in, what weapon are you using.?
  • lordofdeadside 8 Mar 2018 19:47:52 1,325 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Frogofdoom I think Iíve got a handle on most attacks but I can still get two shotted so if I get caught itís cart time. Using a water attack long sword, couple of upgrades along the tree.
  • Frogofdoom 8 Mar 2018 19:55:14 8,616 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do you know how to do the run away dive, it gives you immunity for a brief time. Also use screamer pods when he burrows as it interrupts his charge and stuns him.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Mar 2018 20:02:02 13,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @lordofdeadside

Are you doing the following:
    Eating a defensive meal.
    Using an Armorskin potion
    Using a max potion
    Wearing armour than gives protection against stun. (Worth checking the ailment, might be paralysis).
    Luring him out of the little cubbyhole with the sand falls.
    Trapping him if he is refusing to leave said cubbyhole.

Diablos hits very hard. I found a common method of killing me was to stun me and then charge at me once I was stunned.

Also he has a very large lateral attack radius with his head and tail. So approaching absolutely perpendicular is recommended if using a close range weapon.
  • lordofdeadside 8 Mar 2018 20:11:16 1,325 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Think iím doing most of that, although I need to look at armour with stun defense. What do you mean by the ďsand fallsĒ?

Edited by lordofdeadside at 20:11:27 08-03-2018
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Mar 2018 20:14:21 13,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are walls of falling sand in the Diabolosí nest. He runs into them and will charge out randomly which can be very hard to avoid.
  • Frogofdoom 8 Mar 2018 20:15:54 8,616 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you are finding him too hard, craft a lance and face tank him with ease.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Mar 2018 20:17:32 13,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or fire an SOS
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Mar 2018 20:29:49 6,487 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pro Diablos tip: lure Diablos when he charges into the pillars in that main underground section.

It's horns will get stuck, and causes them to get damaged. You'll also be able to get some free easy hits in too. Using both pillars this way plus the extra hits should get the horns close to breaking point, if not actually broken.

Voila, it's charge attacks are significantly weaker, and it can no longer perform the burst from underground attack, instead struggling to dig itself free - another free hit opportunity.

As a lancer/shield of some sort, planting bombs at your feet and guarding to bait that underground burst is also an easy way to ensure horn damage.
  • Rivuzu 8 Mar 2018 20:54:54 17,298 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Practice your counters with longsword. It's complete invincibility. You can actually use it to negate all of his attacks.
  • lordofdeadside 8 Mar 2018 23:15:54 1,325 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yes! Did it! Thanks for all the tips fellas.

Took a lot of tryís but, I ended up going in with some stun resist armour and focusing on chopping his tail off. Peice of cake after that.
  • JamboWayOh 8 Mar 2018 23:36:39 7,849 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love these invisible skill checks this game has, Diablos is an example where the game is asking if you have good gear and are aware of the mechanics you need for future monsters. Just like Nergigante is a skill check for the elder dragon crew although I feel the battle is actually harder than Teostra, Kushala and Vaal. Don't get me started on how easy Xeno was.
  • Awimbawe 9 Mar 2018 06:55:28 609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I should have done some more optional quests sooner, after almost 150 hours I've only just discovered you can unlock more cultivation boxes for the ancient tree and can grow stuff that I need other than honey - dammit !
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Mar 2018 06:58:06 2,795 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @ecu yes
  • brokenkey 9 Mar 2018 10:03:27 9,686 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    If you are finding him too hard, craft a lance and face tank him with ease.
    Did not know that Long Sword had counter..

Edited by brokenkey at 10:48:24 09-03-2018
  • GarlVinland 9 Mar 2018 13:27:39 3,193 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I caved and bought MH Generations for my weekly train ride. Couldn't stand to be away without at least some MH.

And then, hold the phone! Turns out Generations and MHXX support cross play! No need for 2 Japanese copies of XX when 1 will do, and I can learn the menus in Gen like the back of my hand.

This is a new low for me. But I feel no shame. :)

BTW is it worth getting MH4U if I intend to play mostly online? I hear it has a completely separate online campaign, but I can't imagine it would be easy finding a game...
  • JamboWayOh 9 Mar 2018 14:05:43 7,849 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    I caved and bought MH Generations for my weekly train ride. Couldn't stand to be away without at least some MH.

And then, hold the phone! Turns out Generations and MHXX support cross play! No need for 2 Japanese copies of XX when 1 will do, and I can learn the menus in Gen like the back of my hand.

This is a new low for me. But I feel no shame. :)

BTW is it worth getting MH4U if I intend to play mostly online? I hear it has a completely separate online campaign, but I can't imagine it would be easy finding a game...
    Looking forward to when he finds out that those little quality of life improvements in MHW really add up.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 14:06:02 09-03-2018
  • brokenkey 9 Mar 2018 14:28:41 9,686 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Its the second, decent analog stick that's the biggest thing. I have a *new*3DS for MHG, and the nub is not a patch on the circlepad pro thing.
  • GarlVinland 9 Mar 2018 15:01:54 3,193 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JamboWayOh So I've heard. :) The gf though will be none the wiser. And if it gets me out of having to watch bloody Brooklyn Nine-Nine, it'll all be worth it.

@brokenkey good tip. I only have the old 3DS XL, so Circle Pad Pro works for me.

Edited by GarlVinland at 15:03:33 09-03-2018
  • JamboWayOh 9 Mar 2018 15:11:35 7,849 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @GarlVinland

Ahhh, man. What's with the hate on Brooklyn nine nine?! It's class.
  • Rivuzu 9 Mar 2018 15:27:45 17,298 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I dunno about the nub argument, I was happy enough playing MHG without using it at all. The lock on system did me well enough. Glad you can replicate that in MHW as well.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.