Monster Hunter World Page 129

• GarlVinland 3 Aug 2018 11:27:35 3,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I saw most people when they saw the tornadoes gathering, just ran to a corner instead of flashing. With a decent tank and a wide-range support, he's generally not too bad, unless you get unlucky and stunlocked. The main problem is surviving multiple ultimate meteors without carting 3 times. Seems to be what most people are failing on, me for definite yesterday.

Also the Jump gesture that you get at one point is super cool. I didn't dare try to use it on him as he was meteor-ing but it has invincibility frames.

Edited by GarlVinland at 11:28:14 03-08-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Aug 2018 11:29:39 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    God, i am seriously getting FF14 vibes, this is immense
  • Alastair 3 Aug 2018 11:34:00 22,368 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    /whisper
    I've never played any Final Fantasy...
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Aug 2018 11:38:15 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    FF14 is an MMO so its all about tanks, healers and DPS.

I have put near 300 hours into it as a healer.
  • brokenkey 3 Aug 2018 11:45:16 9,805 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    /whisper
    I've never played any Final Fantasy...
    I played FF Adventure on Gameboy (1991), never played one since. Modern videos seem to indicate its pretty boys in fancy cars - but then it turns into turn based combat?
  • GarlVinland 3 Aug 2018 11:54:54 3,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't convince my regular clan mates to play MHW and take on Behemoth because they also play FF14 and would rather take on a Rathian in that. Assholes.

The FF vibes are indeed strong, makes me want to play FF9 again with Freya i.e. Best Dragoon.
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Aug 2018 11:56:46 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Can't convince my regular clan mates to play MHW and take on Behemoth because they also play FF14 and would rather take on a Rathian in that. Assholes.

The FF vibes are indeed strong, makes me want to play FF9 again with Freya i.e. Best Dragoon.
    Rathian isn't until the 7th so they have time
  • Skirlasvoud 3 Aug 2018 11:57:32 4,012 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eurogamer_Forums wrote:
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the PC/Steam launch in about a week. It'll be my first outing into the series.

Anyone else here about to play mainly on PC?
    *Crickets*
    Aaahhwww! :-(
  • oldschoolsoviet 3 Aug 2018 15:25:27 6,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My thoughts:

I'll be honest, it's the rushing in that's knackering folk. Patience and timing is key.

I got so close with randoms after attempts with sid and John last night with paralysis and sleep being key - gives you the breathing room to heal/sharpen/bomb. No tanking, no enmity, and flashing is a double-edged sword, stopping the wind but inducing anger like other monsters. But randoms kept rushing for the kill hit at 75% health and getting in bad positions - stunlocked, trapped by wind etc and focusing more on being 'the man' rather than chilling out, healing, and positioning.

The tank mechanic is flawed, as even with Guard 5/Guard up, the tank will get screwed with wind or rising meteor attacks (the lava burst), and needs too much babysitting. Better going with a mobile weapon and staying fluid, 3 attackers and 1 medic should work.

If he casts wind, it'll lock on someone, and it's better for that player to drag it to the edges where it'll settle and take the little damage it hits with. The other players should keep bigboy entertained on the other side, so you create a seperation - fight on one side, drag wind storms to the other. Three windstorms max it appears, so once they're out, his pattern changes to swipes and meteor only until they fade.

Comet mechanics are weird as well, sometimes casting, sometimes not. Seems he'll typically cast it quickly with lots of enmity against one player, or if he's changing areas, but it's not always guaranteed.
    After three comets, I'm now just stopping attacking and juggling staying near a comet with not getting it destroyed, keeping Behemoth just askew of them. Running to a seperate area is also viable.

200 health. Necessary. I eventually got Mushroomancer/wide range sorted for the buffs, and we'll need a dedicated medic for sure. Probably best if the others take lifepowder materials to craft over 3.

Take Rocksteady and Temporal, and alternate between them. By the time one runs out, the other should be ready.

Nulberries and Astera Jerky for status effects.

I'm going to run para sword set first, switching to sleep after two status effects, because hitting a third trigger seems too difficult. Probably better to snooze him in the smaller, latter stages.

Any other thoughts ?

You could go with the GameEconomist vid I saw earlier, using Plunderblade and Partbreaker to farm him solo, qutting before you fail and keeping the materials ! ;)

Tonight will be mostly killing giant chickens and repels though, won't it ?
  • brokenkey 3 Aug 2018 15:53:51 9,805 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Done the giant chicken. I'd recommend bow.
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Aug 2018 15:58:14 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Giant Chicken?
  • brokenkey 3 Aug 2018 16:00:48 9,805 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Kula Yaku with a blue rock. Gets big enough for a gold crown.
  • Alastair 3 Aug 2018 16:23:10 22,368 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think I have the giant chicken.
    I need a mini one...
  • Fonzie 3 Aug 2018 18:04:19 3,282 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I think I have the giant chicken.
    I need a mini one...
    You not got a mini crown? I was lucky and got one from my first fight with the 3 different sized Jagras in the last special events.
  • Alastair 3 Aug 2018 18:13:38 22,368 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You need one from each monster... :)
  • Fonzie 3 Aug 2018 18:16:57 3,282 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    You need one from each monster... :)
    What??? That will take forever. I think I've got the one mini crown and one large crown.
  • oldschoolsoviet 3 Aug 2018 18:19:54 6,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hence why some of us sit at 300hrs+ lol.

Someone mentioned the possibility of AT Behemoth last night. Extreme Behemoth launches on the 24th.

I hope you're happy ffs.......
  • Fonzie 3 Aug 2018 18:34:03 3,282 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can see myself exceeding the 300 hour mark. Don't feel like I've scratched the surface yet.
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Aug 2018 22:16:59 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    So... the chicken hit hard lol
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Aug 2018 22:59:49 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Hmmmm couldn’t even solo the repel version :(

I burnt through a lot of items and 8 out of the 9 lives

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 23:00:14 03-08-2018
  • oldschoolsoviet 3 Aug 2018 23:38:04 6,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll apologise for thon chicken-hunt-turned-farce Alastair.

Lance is not the best option. Gunlance is just as awful.

As for the earlier Behemoth attempts, we were getting close. Brokenkey and I suffered through a flashbomb extravaganza, and the difference was so clear - constantly enraged and spamming attacks in a frenzy, thunder three times in five seconds for example. Terrifying. The keeping him central and pulling wind away seems easier tbh.

Did manage a kill with randoms (yay) but it crushed the only comet just prior to the end (boo) and a subsequent fail with nowhere to hide.....

.....c'mon cat, get the Plunderblade. Work to be done.

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 23:39:59 03-08-2018
  • Alastair 4 Aug 2018 07:23:07 22,368 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    I'll apologise for thon chicken-hunt-turned-farce Alastair.

Lance is not the best option. Gunlance is just as awful.
    It was harder than I expected..
    What weapon would you recommend?
  • Alastair 4 Aug 2018 07:34:09 22,368 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Options include bow, switch axe, glaive and twin blades..
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Aug 2018 09:37:22 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Hammer was fine if you go in with no stun decorations
  • Alastair 4 Aug 2018 10:38:10 22,368 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I saw that the giant chicken was immune to traps. What about status effects?
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Aug 2018 11:46:49 6,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Immune too.

As for the farce, it was mainly tiredness, plus having those gangbang moments with all three monsters. The time I carted I couldn't even see why I'd carted lol.

Just crack on solo, far easier. Was torn between joining you or Grax, but he was 12mins in.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Aug 2018 12:33:53 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    You missed nothing with me except a lot of swearing and quiet reflection on failing due to time out
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Aug 2018 14:46:36 6,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Boom. Done with randoms.

Except our Italian lance guy was determined to fight beside the comets, breaking the nearest and subjecting two us to firey crashing death due to his stupidity.

My stupidity kicked in at camp, dancing and forgetting that I could run back and carve....
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Aug 2018 15:20:35 3,474 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @oldschoolsoviet can you solo the fight after the chicken or is that the proper battle?
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Aug 2018 17:06:07 6,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's the repel, then a special assignment to hunt, and then that'll unlock an optional 9* quest that can be repeated.

Solo is not going to happen, not for the majority of us. A few cluster bomb spam vids popping up today amongst the elite crowd though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.