Monster Hunter World Page 152

• Alastair 17 Oct 2019 11:34:44 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Did another run through against BVH this morning with the Lohenspire fire IG.
    At times it feels a bit out of control. But I never really had an 'Oh Shit I'm going to die moment!' The two faints were caused by not paying attention!

I am going for a combination armour set - two parts Uragaan, two parts BVH and the Bazel chest piece.
    Should give me good lance def, good health recovery, and be a general Def upgrade from my early MR armour set. And more gem slots.
    Only downside is, I need a ton of Solidbones....
  • Alastair 17 Oct 2019 11:35:57 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I am liking the lvl4 double gems.
    Well some of them.
    When they give you one of those binary skills like Fortify.

Also, managed a few Offensive Guard blocks last night against a Barrioth. :)
  • Ddanno 18 Oct 2019 06:47:24 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've had a few nice ones, a crisis/attack, offensive guard/attack and sheath/crit.

Got to what I assume is the end of story monster last night but didn't have enough time to knock it over. I've thoroughly enjoyed myself so far, but doubt I'll play much after seeing any variants I'm missing. I farmed enough streamstones last year and have no appetite for it
  • Alastair 18 Oct 2019 10:23:11 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I seem to have lost an Attack gem..!
    We got one as part of a gift pack thing a few months ago. Right?
    I can only see one Attack gem in my gems list.

All I can think is that I logged in to get the gift pack, then put the PS4 to sleep without saving. Then the PS4 got switched off and I lost it... Or something.
  • Ddanno 18 Oct 2019 10:46:39 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That sucks. Obvious question but have you tried sorting by skill? It's the only way I can find anything specific
  • Alastair 18 Oct 2019 11:29:53 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I can see an Attack gem listed as being attached to an armour piece.
    And in the list of unused gems, Attack would come below the Defence gem, and there's nothing there....
    :(

It's not really the end of the world - so many builds don't include attack gems, plus I've had a few lvl4 gems with Attack as one of the skills.
    In general I am keener on Health Regen skills I think.
  • Ddanno 18 Oct 2019 12:20:19 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I tend to use the charm plus one gem. Looking forward to upping it to Lv4 but the mats are still ??? 'd

With you on the health skills, especially in IB. I've gone back to incorporating Divine Blessing in all my builds at the moment as well, being the filthy scrub that I am. Legiana hat plus one gem does it and still has a lv4 slot to spare.

Fancy some jolly co-op on the weekend?
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Oct 2019 12:53:32 28,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is only 15.99 on PSN just now.
  • Alastair 18 Oct 2019 13:47:47 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ddanno wrote:

Fancy some jolly co-op on the weekend?
    Sure thing.
    Saturday or Sunday night should work.
  • brokenkey 18 Oct 2019 14:17:59 10,516 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I seem to have lost an Attack gem..!
    We got one as part of a gift pack thing a few months ago. Right?
    I can only see one Attack gem in my gems list.

All I can think is that I logged in to get the gift pack, then put the PS4 to sleep without saving. Then the PS4 got switched off and I lost it... Or something.
    I wondered if I lost one too at some point. Console yourself with the knowledge that there's plenty of otherskill/attack in the level 4 gems, and that because attack is a fixed point increase, whereas critical are all % based, attack gems are no longer a thing to lust after.

Edited by brokenkey at 14:27:08 18-10-2019
  • jack5255 18 Oct 2019 14:50:11 875 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tigrex and Brachydios down. I hate Brachydios... Tigrex was alright but Odogaron done a number on him a few times.

Must be about time to get some better armour now i have a good bunch of things to farm!
  • Ddanno 18 Oct 2019 15:06:02 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Brachydios can do one, I struggle with him on lance and on mobile weapons like SA/hammer. I should probably learn a ranged weapon.
  • Alastair 18 Oct 2019 15:19:54 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, I don't like Brachydios either.

But Beodotus being a re-skinned Lavasioth can fuck right off. Glad t was a low-level monster that I can pretty much ignore now.

I had a Savage Jho turn up in one of my BVH hunts - they did 2 turf wars, and Jho didn't attack me at all...
    :)
  • JoelStinty 18 Oct 2019 15:23:08 8,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Noob Update. Got my self to Rotten Vale. Explored there a little bit, and defeated the rolly spiky thing. Taking some time to slow it down and do some side stuff. Noticed a few of the beasts I'm starting to encounter are weak to Dragon swords so crafted my self one of them and now hunting Pukei's for their tails to get the poison resistance charm.
  • Alastair 18 Oct 2019 15:25:19 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I need a Xeno claw to upgrade one of my charms.
    I'm kind of hoping that returning to HR quests will seem super easy with mid-rank MR gear...
  • Ddanno 18 Oct 2019 15:31:56 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think you'll be disappointed, I had to cleave through a heap of HR optional quests to unlock a later one and none of the arena fights took more than 5m. A Rathian hunt in Wildspire took 3m23s with SwagAxe. Capture quests become slightly more awkward as there's a very real chance at an accidental moider.

Edited by Ddanno at 15:32:41 18-10-2019
  • jack5255 18 Oct 2019 15:45:16 875 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    yea brachydios took me about 4 tries and changing setups, think it was azure rathalos that helped me in the end there too.

Anyone know whats required to upgrade catastrophe’s light (?) tried a quick google with no luck. I would assume its nerg but could be very wrong
  • Ddanno 18 Oct 2019 16:10:56 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jack5255 wrote:
    yea brachydios took me about 4 tries and changing setups, think it was azure rathalos that helped me in the end there too.

Anyone know whats required to upgrade catastrophe’s light (?) tried a quick google with no luck. I would assume its nerg but could be very wrong
    Try the MHW Companion app, it's fairly useful although you have to pay to unlock the search function so there's much scrolling
  • jack5255 18 Oct 2019 16:14:11 875 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers! Didnt know there was one
  • Alastair 18 Oct 2019 16:50:39 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Neither did I?
    Is it an official one?
    I'd love one that synced with your Item Box and equipment etc
  • Alastair 18 Oct 2019 17:02:56 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I used to used the Kiranico website a lot...
    Most of my info these days comes from Youtube - Arekkz and The Gameconomist
  • Ddanno 18 Oct 2019 17:31:58 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's unofficial and mostly useful for looking up materials, drop rates and such. Obviously does not sync to your game. Still quite handy. Updates for Iceborne content are ongoing and can be a bit thin in places

I went full nerd and listened to the Nergigante OST track on the way home (it earwormed me all day) and that's an astonishing piece of music. My TV speakers ain't great and soundtracks tend to get a bit lost in all the smashy smashy anyway. Considering getting something better as I feel like I'm missing out - listened to some of the Bloodborne OST recently and that too has a lot more depth than I initially thought.

Edited by Ddanno at 18:59:05 18-10-2019
  • oldschoolsoviet 21 Oct 2019 23:09:47 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I fell down the rabbit hole of OSTs many years ago. No turning back.

As for Iceborne, felled Rajang tonight as my 100th monster in fitting fashion. Just as bloody annoying as I remember him (has anyone been able to de-rage him with tail hits ? Ever ?).

Problem now is with all these materials I'm unlocking, and subsequent armour, I'm continually stalling in the workshop trying all sorts of skill builds, tinkering until maximum efficiency. Time I should be spending in the GL, but....but....I can squeeze another Guard in there....
  • Ddanno 22 Oct 2019 07:24:43 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That was more or less my weekend, only I'm still at a (literal!) brick wall so haven't got to Rajang yet. I really ought to finish the damn story off but got distracted by wanting to gitgud with Charge Blade and needing an entire build set...
  • Alastair 22 Oct 2019 13:19:04 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I need a Xeno claw to upgrade one of my charms.
    I'm kind of hoping that returning to HR quests will seem super easy with mid-rank MR gear...
    I was right - did Xeno in 20 min last night with no faints. It was pretty easy...
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Oct 2019 20:18:30 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hammer is revitalised with the clutch claw, KOs galore. Having a lot of fun helping HR randoms with this, as well as a viable MR build. Divine Protection ftw.

Guess all that's left is the 49/69/99 MR grind progression wise ? That and any future events, Resi crossover November sometime along with Harvest Festival. Still need some AT Xeno tickets for layered armour too, must remember.
  • Ddanno 22 Oct 2019 22:42:13 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Hammer is revitalised with the clutch claw, KOs galore. Having a lot of fun helping HR randoms with this, as well as a viable MR build. Divine Protection ftw.

Guess all that's left is the 49/69/99 MR grind progression wise ? That and any future events, Resi crossover November sometime along with Harvest Festival. Still need some AT Xeno tickets for layered armour too, must remember.
    I still think a few more monsters will be added. There's a lot of noise for Lagiacrus and Querupeco, at least, and the Director is pretty alive to what the fans want. Add a couple more crossovers in that are at Behemoth level and there's probably going to be some fun to be had later.

All that said, I already have half an eye on the next gen game....
  • Alastair 22 Oct 2019 22:52:18 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Can't see Lagiacrus coming myself, as there's no underwater sections..
    I'd love to see the Jhen Moran hunt return.
  • Alastair 22 Oct 2019 22:56:13 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Just fought Namielle.
    Seemed okay. I incorrectly guessed at weakness to ice, so might have done better with a fire lance..
  • Alastair 25 Oct 2019 21:43:19 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    So, Shara Ishvalda is a bit of a fucker!
    Those sonic attacks can take me out, even with guard up...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.