Monster Hunter World Page 154

• Ddanno 9 Dec 2019 19:48:10 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just gimme a holler if/when you're about - might be my gf playing though.

I managed to get Volcanic GL to level 7. There's some grade A bullshit down there now but I have the materials I was after. Next up, Tundra.
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Dec 2019 23:23:03 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Did see you brokenkey, but I was experiencing utter devastation....

The new Gunlance attach-pod move is stupendous. The secondary damage from any blast damage on top of initial damage, all ignoring armour.......

Having three in a Guiding Lands session together is broken beyond belief. Use a slingshot grapple to topple a monster, have all three gunlances attach pods, and the amount of trips/breaks/drops is bordering on ridiculous. Nothing stood a chance. Walked away with three times the amount of rewards I'd normally achieve with the Plunderblade.

As for Safi this weekend, the thought of a tempered version swinging around next year has taken the edge off of the anticipation. I'll try it for a lance/gunlance for now, but after the KT/Kjarr stuff, I don't see much point in grinding it too much.
  • brokenkey 11 Dec 2019 10:45:06 10,516 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    So, I totally failed to get online over the weekend.
    I did do a bit in the Guiding Lands and felt like I'd hit an unexpected wall.
    Taking on tempered Rathalos and then Tempered F Anja.
    Both times I carted way too often and the monsters buggered off before I could finish them. How embarrassing.
    In my defence - Fortify was not triggering after the faints. Yet I know it works in GL because I've had it proc before. Weird.
    I've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter if they run away before you can kill them - you still get xp, and you still get to pick up all the shineys (take a single point in geology for double pick-ups). Join someone else's session based on them specifying an area where they are level 7, get the top tier materials.

It's very frustrating that you can't re-set decos whilst in the GL though.

Edited by brokenkey at 10:47:38 11-12-2019
  • brokenkey 11 Dec 2019 10:47:25 10,516 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Also, the top tactic in GL is take lots of sleep inducing weaponry, put the monster to sleep to remove its rage status, then wake it and slam it into a wall. I was really confused as to why people weren't doing the usual Wake-Up stuff, but this is much quicker.
  • brokenkey 11 Dec 2019 10:49:12 10,516 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Safi weapon drop thing looks great, you can bank your "potential" (upgrade) rewards to increase the chance of better level rewards later on. Mission runs until 6th Jan.

Also, Safi has a homing blue shot - its instant standard on you can avoid by continually moving - the homing one, differentiated by having a charge-up period where his mouth goes white, is aimed at where you will be if you carry on moving at the same speed and direction. So if you see a white mouth, turn around.

Edited by brokenkey at 10:52:23 11-12-2019
  • Alastair 11 Dec 2019 11:22:35 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:

I've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter if they run away before you can kill them - you still get xp, and you still get to pick up all the shineys (take a single point in geology for double pick-ups). Join someone else's session based on them specifying an area where they are level 7, get the top tier materials.

It's very frustrating that you can't re-set decos whilst in the GL though.
    I was hoping for augment gems (spiritvein gems?) - I've only seen those in post-quest/hunt rewards
  • brokenkey 11 Dec 2019 11:31:12 10,516 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Tempered Elder dragons do drop them in GL. Rare-ish drop, but emphasizes why you want that 1 point in geology.

Edited by brokenkey at 11:47:45 11-12-2019
  • brokenkey 12 Dec 2019 07:26:24 10,516 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    We missed you when you left, Soviet. Finished the mission with 2 minutes remaining, the SnS guy used 413 buffs on the group. Total shitshow.

Edited by brokenkey at 07:26:43 12-12-2019
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Dec 2019 10:15:46 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Haven't hit MR100 yet, so couldn't join. Too busy making a Heat Guard loadout too, as I was......struggling, to say the least against Luna.
  • Alastair 20 Dec 2019 08:59:03 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I finally managed to play through the Safi siege last night.
    Good fun. I like that it's only 20 mins so it seems like less of a slog.

Went with a poison lance build with the Rathian skill to prolong the effect. I think I managed to poison him three times, maybe four..
    With Vaal Soulvein, recovery up and medicine up I had a decent health regen build despite no augmentation. Never felt in danger of fainting.

I got a Saafi poison lance with the Vaal soulvein skill which I was super chuffed with. But then I was offered the chance to swap in Teostra Technique/Masters Touch. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to turn it down....

Winter Fest starts today so tons of events ongoing. I can see myself trying to shoo the family out so I can play all through Christmas.
  • Alastair 20 Dec 2019 09:00:25 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Difficult to decide what to focus on, but I'm inclined to grind the Saafi siege to get good weapons, and then go back to GL..
  • chrisno21 20 Dec 2019 09:47:34 2,298 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    See you on but I'm not sure I can be bothered with Safi. Is it good fun or just a grind for drops like Kulve?
  • Alastair 20 Dec 2019 09:51:35 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Mmm, well, I enjoyed it.
    It has similar structure, in that multiple hunting parties from the same lobby are fighting, and once one group slays then it's over for all.
    But it feels better at the moment. Seems quicker, plus the reward weapons are better.

When you boil it down, the whole game is a grind for drops... :)
  • chrisno21 20 Dec 2019 09:57:44 2,298 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    True 😵
  • oldschoolsoviet 20 Dec 2019 10:57:06 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Haven't bothered with Safi either, mainly because there'll be an AT version somewhere down the line.
  • Alastair 20 Dec 2019 11:24:09 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Well, I plan to be online a fair bit between now and new year, so let's try to join up.
    More than happy to do other hunting as well as Safi.
    I still haven't taken on Rajang, Savage Jho, gold 'Ian, silver 'Los or Brute Tigrex....
  • Ddanno 20 Dec 2019 12:09:36 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Inv!!
  • Alastair 20 Dec 2019 16:24:45 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ddanno wrote:
    Inv!!
    Hopefully see you later...
  • Fleurrose 20 Dec 2019 18:17:06 4 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    protonmail
    I can't fucking wait for this. Those graphics.... Any other big monster hunter fans?
    usa today
    That looks extremely promising

Edited by Fleurrose at 12:04:30 23-12-2019
  • oldschoolsoviet 20 Dec 2019 23:41:15 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ^ Damn bots. (OP with 2nd post reply)

And after a wee quest or two with Alastair, I'd forgotten that bounties are DAILY not WEEKLY during the event. Mucho tokens just completing them for one day, should be enough for the armour set.

There's also a bonus for the Steamworks, granting special vouchers to turn into decorations, replacing the fat Jagras/Lavi method. Just playing earns vouchers, which you then turn in to the Melder for instant appraisal. Might get that elusive Magazine jewel after all......
  • Alastair 21 Dec 2019 07:26:15 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    What I've realised is that the fan noise on my PS4 is so loud I struggle to hear what osso is saying.
    The fan noise dropped at one point and I could hear clearly...
    😆
  • oldschoolsoviet 21 Dec 2019 23:41:17 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pop the lid off at the corners and hoover it.

Used to be a jet engine here too, until I saw how much fluff/gunk was in the fan. Back to quiet like new.

(nothing to do with me generally being quiet, no siree)
  • brokenkey 22 Dec 2019 11:33:44 10,516 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    ^ Damn bots. (OP with 2nd post reply)

And after a wee quest or two with Alastair, I'd forgotten that bounties are DAILY not WEEKLY during the event. Mucho tokens just completing them for one day, should be enough for the armour set.

There's also a bonus for the Steamworks, granting special vouchers to turn into decorations, replacing the fat Jagras/Lavi method. Just playing earns vouchers, which you then turn in to the Melder for instant appraisal. Might get that elusive Magazine jewel after all......
    Steamworks is where its at for the silver tickest - its worth running round GL just to farm coal, and then do steamworks - you'll get 20 silver tickets for 3 runs through. Got me another attack gem.
  • Alastair 22 Dec 2019 16:00:12 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I got an attack gem from a silver melding ticket.
    I don't think I'll actually use it though...
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Dec 2019 17:49:50 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Attack gems are so last year. Slinger Cap/Attack four-slots is where it's at. ;) Hell, Resentment, Max Might and even Crit Eye are considered more meta than raw attack these days.

Me ? I've built a swanky Garuga set with that new scarf because it looks great. That's my meta.

/views gathering hall of garish, jumbled mess oiks

And I'd still argue that the pile-on damage spam might be quick, but really unsatisfying. When you find randoms who know how to position to keep a monster centered - bliss. Watching faints because they all piled in in some corridor/corner with no space to maneuver is just.....ugh.
  • Alastair 22 Dec 2019 17:59:01 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Errr, I think I did that last night against BVH...
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Dec 2019 18:01:03 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    :D
  • Alastair 23 Dec 2019 07:25:21 24,271 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Beat Rajang last night.
    He's too fast for lance imo - I was struggling.
    Crafted an ice SnS and got it done work only one faint.
    Definitely got some help from savage Jho!

Edited by Alastair at 07:29:49 23-12-2019
  • brokenkey 23 Dec 2019 12:45:00 10,516 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Attack gems are so last year. Slinger Cap/Attack four-slots is where it's at. ;) Hell, Resentment, Max Might and even Crit Eye are considered more meta than raw attack these days
    Of course. I was just pointing out that you get very rare stuff of the silver tickets.
  • Ddanno 23 Dec 2019 13:15:46 1,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Beat Rajang last night.
    He's too fast for lance imo - I was struggling.
    Crafted an ice SnS and got it done work only one faint.
    Definitely got some help from savage Jho!
    I haven't even tried him with Lance, I find him difficult enough (from a mobility perspective) with Switchaxe so there's no way I'm rooting myself to the spot. And that goddamn Guard Up deco still eludes me.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.