Monster Hunter World Page 159

• Alastair 6 Apr 2020 10:30:51 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I caught that massive jellyfish thing at the very top of Hoarfrost Reach last night.
    Anyone managed to find and catch any of those Moly things yet?

I've also got all the treasures in Hoarfrost reach - bit of a grind to get the treasure tips.
  • chrisno21 6 Apr 2020 10:35:21 2,298 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Caught several Rolys but haven't managed to get a rare one yet for the trophy!

Did treasures for one zone too, (Wildspire I think) but the forest just wouldn't give the next clue (6/7) after several trips so stopped that too.
  • Alastair 6 Apr 2020 10:37:45 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I was popping in to do pawswap with each iteration of the gold crown quest, which took some of the grind out of it.

I'm now at the stage of needing large Beotodus, small Shrieking Leg and small Styg Zinogre...

Still loving my sticky LBG build.
  • brokenkey 6 Apr 2020 10:47:23 10,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I think the treasure thing requires all the other zones to be at a similar level of progress.

Haven't managed to kill the furious Rajang yet. Very annoying.
  • chrisno21 6 Apr 2020 17:16:34 2,298 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I was popping in to do pawswap with each iteration of the gold crown quest, which took some of the grind out of it.

I'm now at the stage of needing large Beotodus, small Shrieking Leg and small Styg Zinogre...

Still loving my sticky LBG build.
    Wow, sounds really close to the crowns and pretty quickly too!
  • Alastair 6 Apr 2020 20:49:20 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ha, that's only for the Hoarfrost Reach quest.
    Not the whole thing.

Actually, on that topic, do I need all crowns for the base game? Like lunastra?
  • chrisno21 6 Apr 2020 21:24:22 2,298 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No lunastra needed as I remember it. Base release only.
  • oldschoolsoviet 6 Apr 2020 21:33:55 6,812 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You don't need Lunastra, as she was added, but we get into the "what qualifies ?" area that's still speculation. Some posts say if you're missing crowns on a base monster (eg:Barroth) then Luna GCs will pop the trophy. Others say nope.

Still haven't seen 100% conclusive proof either way.

I fired into F.Rajang and S.Brachy on release, took down a couple of each to make some armour, but I'm more interested in this Kulve MR quest and upgrading the Kjarr weapons with the upcoming event. I have quite a few......
  • oldschoolsoviet 24 Apr 2020 01:39:03 6,812 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jesus, MR Kulve hits like a truck.

Had a few tired, post-work runs, and let down with western Safi-meta fools without even a hint of fire-resistance. Managed to shed twice, knock the horns off once, before the feints started coming thick and fast......

On the other hand, I'm delighted with all the new visual layer options. Especially modifying uniques and using their skins elsewhere. New Rathian gunlance skin (never had a base green before) made me smile, and I'll probably end up having to redo pretty much all my loadouts at some point.

Saving AT Namielle for tomorrow, and more than likely stick it with some HBG cheese.
  • Alastair 27 Apr 2020 18:32:57 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Got fed up with crown chasing, and those stingy little fuckers in the Ancient Forest not giving me any treasure tips.
    So I've switched to farming Gold Rath for the armour. Got the fight done in just over 15 mins. Easier than I thought! Couple of faints when I get hit with tail swipe then the blue fire, but on the whole it's not too bad.

/waits to be told that the Sol and Lune armour have been rendered obsolete....
  • oldschoolsoviet 28 Apr 2020 01:13:53 6,812 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I dunno any builds that really utilise Sol, but 2pc Lune's fine with Lv5 Divine Blessing.

I didn't realise AT Namielle won't arrive until May (this weekend ?) but I've been having a ball juggling all my sets and getting some close-to-meta builds on the go. Farming Luna to round out armour and upgrades for old weapons, and slightly impatient for Garuga layered armour......

Then I have a look at augmenting stuff, and realise I still haven't fought a whole slew of stuff (??? materials everywhere).

Would've stayed longer bkey, but comms were awful, and I was hungry !
  • brokenkey 28 Apr 2020 09:55:42 10,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Gold rath weapons were the thing until Safi came along.

2 bits fo Raging Bracy armour and its weapons are now the meta.

@soviet - comms - I've got a PS4 which sounds like its on its last legs form the noise the fans make, you can hear it all over the house. That, coupled with the crappy headset I was using was probably the issue with comms. On the bright side, I now have 15 of those charged deathly shockers. So I just need one Raging Brachy immortal reactor and I'll be meta for Lance!! And then I might go for AT Kulve.
  • Alastair 28 Apr 2020 11:25:15 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    I've got a PS4 which sounds like its on its last legs form the noise the fans make, you can hear it all over the house.
    I took some time out a couple of months ago to open up the PS4 and give it a bit of a clean - got a shit load of dust out of it and it really made a difference.
    The fan noise is increasing again so I really need to open it up and do it all again. In fact, I might not bother with half the screws to close it up again after...

Weapon wise - I have really got into using the SafiAquashot for Sticky 2 spamming.
    And my Dual Blade skills have improved too.

I'm way behind the curve on monsters though. I haven't touched Raging Brachy or Furious Rajang at all.
  • oldschoolsoviet 3 Jul 2020 11:25:26 6,812 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you're looking for some good gems, there's a daily login bonus for the next week (3rd-9th) - starts off with an Expert+, Attack+ tomorrow etc. All 'skill'+ decos.

Dev stream today outlines the next update due Friday 9th too. Alteron, a Barioth variant, and a decidedly Amazonian looking Summer Fest in store.
  • Alastair 4 Jul 2020 15:12:31 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Got my gems this morning.
    Currently grinding HR Nerg in the hope of a large crown. Hunt takes ~4 min... Mixing it up with Sapphire Star's Guidance quest occasionally.
    Surely one will drop eventually...

Edited by Alastair at 15:12:42 04-07-2020
  • Alastair 4 Jul 2020 15:13:46 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've done all the treasures and the rare endemic life.
  • oldschoolsoviet 9 Jul 2020 21:48:37 6,812 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    See you on from time to time, think about joining, but you're usually 'offline' and grinding that plat so eehh.

Alatreon.

Wow.

Do enough elemental damage to stagger it (dps check ho), or it'll wipe the party in the cheesiest nova yet. Managed one kill with clued up randoms, doubt I'll ever try again, and it shows yet again how.....daft*.... the playerbase has become. People still carrying in raw and status weapons despite the mission even telling you ELEMENTAL DAMAGE ONLY.

Many cries of frustration and crap design being thrown around, as the salty meta groups have to think of new builds, the veterans are sad at a dps check or fail. Yet the god-tier are still soloing it.....

Or just cheese materials by surviving and letting a Plunderblade cat do the work.

*politest term
  • Ddanno 9 Jul 2020 22:28:59 1,598 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    See you on from time to time, think about joining, but you're usually 'offline' and grinding that plat so eehh.

Alatreon.

Wow.

Do enough elemental damage to stagger it (dps check ho), or it'll wipe the party in the cheesiest nova yet. Managed one kill with clued up randoms, doubt I'll ever try again, and it shows yet again how.....daft*.... the playerbase has become. People still carrying in raw and status weapons despite the mission even telling you ELEMENTAL DAMAGE ONLY.

Many cries of frustration and crap design being thrown around, as the salty meta groups have to think of new builds, the veterans are sad at a dps check or fail. Yet the god-tier are still soloing it.....

Or just cheese materials by surviving and letting a Plunderblade cat do the work.

I wish I was surprised by the reaction of the playerbase. Will jump on and check it out this weekend.

*politest term
  • Alastair 10 Jul 2020 09:04:39 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Seems like I'll need to check what my best ice weapon is. Then grind for a week to get a better one and miss the party!! 😉
    Just watched this, which made it all seem quite simple..!!
    https://youtu.be/8lsx_h_PFfE
  • brokenkey 10 Jul 2020 10:42:34 10,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Solo, plunderblade cat seems to be the best way to farm materials. Suggestion I read in the comments on that youtube that if you go HAM with raw, solo, you can still kill him with your 3/4 carts during the megabomb, because his HP isn't too high. Haven't tried him yet though.
  • Alastair 10 Jul 2020 12:59:50 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    With the food skill that allows one extra faint, plus Fortify I can see solo getting *slightly* easier...
    Actually, if everyone in the team eats for that food skill (I can't remember the name of it) shouldn't that mean that the first team wipe doesn't fail the quest?

I will try to get online tonight to give this a shot... It will make a nice change from the heartache of hunting regular sized elder dragons.
  • Ddanno 10 Jul 2020 13:33:05 1,598 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Moxie is the skill
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Jul 2020 13:47:23 6,812 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ...if you go HAM with raw, solo, you can still kill him with your 3/4 carts during the megabomb...
    .....and you'll end up with sweet FA as rewards anyway.

As long as you deal enough elemental (ice or fire depending), and only break horns after the first nova, it's just a case of repeating that two or three times. Going to try solo today. (bearing in mind I already have three mantles from yesterday !)

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 13:48:07 10-07-2020
  • brokenkey 19 Jul 2020 18:09:38 10,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Right, having spent the last week acing up my geat, and waiting for Kulve to returns so I could get some of the Kjarr weapons, I've finally killed Alatreon with an SOS group. Took a number of goes.

Things I learnt - there are 7 levels of weapon customisation in the Augement menu, apart from Augmenting. I've never customised a weapons before so never seen them. Took the Kjarr Ice glave up from 390 to 440 element, and added +4 to combat and affinity at the same time. Nice.

Also, watched the Gaijin hunter vid on how to beat it "with maths", and what that taught me was that over 350 element, the max you can add with gems etc is 1.6 of the base amount. So my max element at 440 is 704. Worth knowing, this, because with a full Safi armour set, which gives you a free elenental boost, you only need 3x Frost gems to hit the element cap, 4x is wasted.
  • FoxMoody 20 Jul 2020 12:22:10 21 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    After reading most of replies I guess I have a Monster Hunter World itch to scratch.
    Started playing waaaay back and didn't even finish the story.
    I was just farming and upgrading my long sword and armor just to notice I can actually upgrade ti further by progressing in the story and upgrading my Hunter rank.
    All that time wasted made me quit the game.
    But don't call it a comeback...
  • brokenkey 20 Jul 2020 13:44:59 10,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Which platform?
  • Alastair 20 Jul 2020 17:25:10 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    You have a small squad of die-hards who will willingly help you through some of those tough quests.

Assuming you're on PS4!!
  • FoxMoody 21 Jul 2020 09:09:27 21 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Alastair wrote:
    You have a small squad of die-hards who will willingly help you through some of those tough quests.

Assuming you're on PS4!!
    If that question/suggestion is aimed at me, yea I'm on PS4.
  • Alastair 21 Jul 2020 12:26:07 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It was indeed - if you want help with quests then there are a few of us that can help you. :)
  • brokenkey 21 Jul 2020 14:15:14 10,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    How are the rest of you getting on with Alatreon?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.