I am 35 and I have my 1st ever driving lesson in the morning Page 5

Next Last
  • bad09 25 Sep 2017 14:11:37 8,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ror

I think now the first one is out the way I'm fine. I know I made mistakes (though to be honest I think I'm being a little too hard on myself as well as my instructor thought I did really well for a first lesson) but now quite keen to get in a car and improve rather than fearing the driving itself, once I had a feel of what's required to operate one I was over that hump....until I do roundabouts!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 25 Sep 2017 14:15:56 13,377 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Roundabouts are easy. Just remember you have right of way when waiting to get on the roundabout, so anyone on the roundabout should stop. Check left on approach, flash your lights twice and enter quickly pulling the wheel sharply to the left as you accelerate into the flow.
  • Ror 25 Sep 2017 14:16:46 17,368 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @bad09 Possibly a bit better to be slightly over-critical than overconfident - as you said, you're keen to improve, and that's a good thing.

And yeah, that's what I mean by saying the first lesson is probably the hardest, as you're kind of jumping in at the deep end. Though what helped me was to remind myself that people do this when they're seventeen, and we're all fucking idiots at that age ;)
  • bad09 25 Sep 2017 14:19:51 8,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Roundabouts are easy. Just remember you have right of way when waiting to get on the roundabout, so anyone on the roundabout should stop. Check left on approach, flash your lights twice and enter quickly pulling the wheel sharply to the left as you accelerate into the flow.
    You're either joking or an Audi driver :)
  • bad09 25 Sep 2017 14:21:01 8,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ror

Yeah, when I think back to all my thick as shit mates at seventeen that passed I must have a chance at least :)
  • captainrentboy 12 Oct 2017 21:20:46 1,682 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Passed my driving test today (First attempt) at the grand old age of 35.
    The tosser made me go through the most horrendous local route possible, and even threw in an emergency stop towards the end.
    I'd like to say it was flawless, but I built up a rather impressive 11 minors. :)
    All done now though, don't have to worry about that shit again. (The waiting time is around 12 weeks for my local, which was one of the reasons I was dreading failing)
  • Ror 12 Oct 2017 22:41:43 17,368 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wahey, congrats!

/first timer hi five
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Oct 2017 22:51:38 2,844 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Congrats. Enjoy driving for a few months until nuclear Armageddon
  • Ror 12 Oct 2017 23:06:35 17,368 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey, at least now he can drive out to the countryside to wait out said nuclear fires and get stuck in the resulting apocalyptic gridlock with the rest of us
  • bad09 27 Jan 2018 17:54:27 8,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    4 months on and 30 hours of lessons later....my test is on Monday.....:eek:

I'm kinda OK...I think, Driving, show me tell me cool. Parking I'm a little unsure. 50/50 on the day I reckon. Practicing like mad this weekend on my G29 :)
  • Fake_Blood 27 Jan 2018 18:13:10 8,443 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Drive up to the car in front until your front wheels reach the mirror of that car.
    Turn wheels full right, then reverse and look in your left mirror, if you can see the right headlamp of the car behind you turn the wheels full left and reverse.
  • bad09 27 Jan 2018 19:00:43 8,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Fake_Blood

Thanks dude, I did alright today but only just got it, I'm a bit scared I might fluff it. I just gotta remember what my instructer said. Go slow, steer fast and correct if need be.

Weird driving terrified me at first but now it's parking freaking me the fuck out :)

Seriously though, had a bad one last week, thought cram 6 hours in before to see where I was before I lost the chance to move it. Did one double in my old car and the next day my instructor got a new car (yep just before my test I had to learn a new car....).

Anyway, that day I was nervous, it's another corsa but sensitive. Turned out right of a two way junction, Guy turning right into my road from the lfet and on my right car turning left into it to so I'm good. Car from the turns right into my road, I follow him round slowly and the other will follow that car and turn left. Some wank came 40 in an 20 zone on MY side of the road rather than wait for the car to turn left. My instructer said she hadn't seen somthing so stupid in 20 years of driving and I learnt emergency brake on my own and was seconds from hospital (when I walked through the the door the wife said I looked sweaty) :)

My instructor thinks I cando it so I hope so.
  • superdelphinus 27 Jan 2018 19:25:33 9,781 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Youíll be fine. Just think itís all something youíve done before and will do again a million times after you pass.
  • RandolphCarter 27 Jan 2018 22:41:27 443 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Parallel parking is easy, in my opinion. Reversing around a corner! Zomg!:eek:
    On the test you cannot rely on mirrors as it is deemed "unsafe" and an instant fail. Trying to reverse around a corner and keep close to the curb without relying on mirrors is a fucking nightmare.
    Constantly having to look around the car to ensure there are no pedestrians whilst reversing actually makes it more dangerous. Now I would just have a quick look around the car, reposition the mirror so that I can see the curb and then reverse.

Edited by RandolphCarter at 22:42:12 27-01-2018
  • RandolphCarter 27 Jan 2018 22:43:09 443 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    *whilst keeping an eye out for other people, obviously;)
  • DrStrangelove 27 Jan 2018 22:58:12 12,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Fake_Blood

Hm, I start parallel parking by going parallel back-to-back with the other car. But admittedly, I rarely have such enormous space like that, and I doubt Bad09 will be tortured with a really tight parking spot.
  • bad09 29 Jan 2018 17:20:27 8,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Failed. :(

Half empty way of thinking though and a rewarding (though expensive) experience.

Had a few minors for silly things and on the whole test was brilliant (that sick nervous feeling is really overkill :) ).

However two things caused a fail. One a little harsh i think, a cyclist was in a cycling lane in a 30 zone and I wanted to hold back until safe as the cycling lane is really small. Slowed and apparently missed one or two safe opportunities to go for it so got done on appropriate speed.

2nd was a bitch. Roundabout. 3rd exit on the right. All smooth right lane, indicating, right side clear got my moment......some pick up truck speeding. Pull out clear almost at the roundabout and about to turn into it and this prick speeds passed behind me going for 2nd exit almost hits me. Also going so fast it almost smashes two cars when exiting to. Examiner did me for observation because he apparently "heard" this cunt attack the roundabout beforehand.

Still the fail hasn't dented me. In fact the fact my driving was OK for the most part fills me with confidence that was not there this morning (having a new car to learn last week and ny doubts today had me worried this morning). A couple of silly things stopped me thats all. Parking went well to :)

I failed but feel more sure in myself now. Weird...

Edited by bad09 at 17:23:07 29-01-2018
  • mrpon 29 Jan 2018 17:34:18 34,290 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fingers crossed you pass on the 10th attempt

;)
  • KnuttinAtoll 29 Jan 2018 17:38:16 5,515 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That sucks, but both situations seem unlucky. I remember my test (back in '93;)) and not 5 minutes after starting, some car broke down on a turn left lane (right lane for you Brits) in front of a set of green traffic lights.

What to do what to do, panic, decided to go around and hope the examiner will be ok with it... just about made it across while it was still green. Couple seconds later and I would've jumped the lights and failed.

You learned some valuable lessons today, that will no doubt be of benefit for your next test (which is probably what you describe you're feeling).
  • Fake_Blood 29 Jan 2018 17:47:06 8,443 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So next time run over the cyclist, the roundabout you take drifting while honking the horn.
  • Ror 29 Jan 2018 18:40:33 17,368 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unlucky bad09. Sure you'll get there next time.

Cyclists still annoy the fuck out of me, especially the pricks that swerve out into the road to move around a parked car without looking over their shoulder first. I always give cyclists plenty of space because I know they do this shit a lot, but every time it makes me think, 'how can you be that unsafe when you're so bloody vulnerable?'

Anyway, once you've booked your next test, just keep getting out there and driving to get more experience. And good luck for the next attempt.
  • mal 29 Jan 2018 20:44:59 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Cyclists still annoy the fuck out of me, especially the pricks that swerve out into the road to move around a parked car without looking over their shoulder first.
    What do you expect them to do? Pull to a halt before the bumper of the parked car then royally wave you through in your horseless carriage?

FWIW I'm aware of you through your engine note, and will swing out in that kind of maneuver even if you're quite close provided you're following and not accelerating. If I am going uphill and therefore significantly slower than you I will slow down so that I don't have to swing round a parked car at the same time as you're powering up the hill though. Rarely have to come to a complete halt though that does happen.
  • Pipedream 29 Jan 2018 21:30:57 313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My first test I was a cocky little git and failed. So nervous on my second attempt I was shaking but managed to pass.

Absolutely loved driving. The freedom of popping out was immense, treasure it!
  • Gunzberg 29 Jan 2018 21:36:04 2,315 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My wife got her license at 34, never took lessons before that.

So yeah, anyone can do it. Main thing is to listen to what the instructor is telling you and do it exactly. Find an instructor that works for you. Also don't leave too many days between lessons, drive as much as possible to gain confidence.

The real test is not the driving test but when you are in your own car and driving alone for the first time. Then it's all you with no help.

Until then it's just a fun experience.
  • Ror 29 Jan 2018 22:53:15 17,368 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Cyclists still annoy the fuck out of me, especially the pricks that swerve out into the road to move around a parked car without looking over their shoulder first.
    What do you expect them to do? Pull to a halt before the bumper of the parked car then royally wave you through in your horseless carriage?

FWIW I'm aware of you through your engine note, and will swing out in that kind of maneuver even if you're quite close provided you're following and not accelerating. If I am going uphill and therefore significantly slower than you I will slow down so that I don't have to swing round a parked car at the same time as you're powering up the hill though. Rarely have to come to a complete halt though that does happen.
    It may just be my spectacular powers of observation, but I'm noting a hint of sensitivity here.

To answer your question, I'd expect them to take a quick glance over their shoulder. Motorcyclists do this - it's called a lifesaver glance. I appreciate that you might hear me coming up behind you oo-er missus (and as I already noted, I always give cyclists plenty of space anyway), but a cyclist with earphones jammed in their lugholes is not going to.

I used to study in Elephant and Castle (lovely part of the world, I highly recommend it /s), and anyone who knows the area will know it's basically two massive roundabouts with loads of mixed traffic moving around them, stopping and starting all the time as different lanes and traffic lights mix into them. The vast majority of cyclists I saw would have earphones jammed into their skulls, and I don't know how you can expect to be aware of your surroundings, which include buses, lorries, cars and other cyclists, in such conditions.

None of which is to say that all cyclists are idiots, of course. Like drivers, some are bellends. I've seen drivers do some utterly stupid things as well, of course, as I'm sure we all have. It just surprises me more when I see a cyclist - someone who is already incredibly vulnerable on the road - show little regard for their own safety.
  • mal 29 Jan 2018 23:30:11 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh yeah, fuck cyclists with earphones in, I can agree on that. Completely irresponsible.

I do look over my shoulder if I'm not 100% sure exactly where you are or what you're doing. I'm a little concerned about electric cars, because there while I'll still have the road noise to give me an indication of where you are, I won't be able to hear the engine revving up.

Also, I've been impressed how often a check over my shoulder will cause someone following me with half a mind to overtake will reconsider and drop the revs, so I have to give credit there.

But I have been cut up while indicating to turn right and about to move over to allow traffic to my left, which shit me up, but there are clearly dickheads on both two wheels and four.
  • Ror 29 Jan 2018 23:36:35 17,368 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, absolutely. And I do see more idiotic drivers than cyclists (though to be fair, that may just be down to the numbers of each on the road). I have also seen people in cars very clearly not giving a shit about a cyclist, and you can tell they're thinking that they're a nuisance. For my part, I take the view that we all have to use the road together, and should all give a bit of consideration to each other (which is why, as I said, I always give cyclists as much room as I can - I don't want to crowd them).

But yeah, speaking from my own experience, if a see a cyclist glance over their shoulder, my impression is, "Ok, they know I'm here, they are aware of their surroudings." It puts me at ease as well.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.