I am 35 and I have my 1st ever driving lesson in the morning Page 7

Next Last
  • LFace 4 Jul 2018 13:41:58 53 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I suddenly don't feel too bad at being 40 and never driven a car in my life. I want to get into having lessons as I'm sick of the peasant wagon, and my gf drives and I feel a leech having her drive everywhere all the time. I don't mind admitting though that I'm absolutely terrified at being behind the wheel of a massive lethal weapon.

Do you guys think it is a good or bad idea to let a friend let me behind the wheel of their car in a very very quiet empty lot somewhere to at least have a go and try and reduce some fear?
  • LFace 4 Jul 2018 13:42:29 53 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • LFace 4 Jul 2018 13:46:33 53 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • LFace 4 Jul 2018 13:47:31 53 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This site is going mental with errors and posting. Sorry about that.
  • KD 17 Oct 2018 12:03:15 2,027 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    42 out of 44 on theory and 3 out on hazard test this morning, not bad for 1 hour practice this morning and not riding a motorbike for 3 years.

Just wanted to book one and get an idea, now I got to get those areas in unsure on and revise for next one in 3 weeks time.
  • bbvDJC 17 Oct 2018 12:07:42 2,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LFace wrote:
    I suddenly don't feel too bad at being 40 and never driven a car in my life. I want to get into having lessons as I'm sick of the peasant wagon, and my gf drives and I feel a leech having her drive everywhere all the time. I don't mind admitting though that I'm absolutely terrified at being behind the wheel of a massive lethal weapon.

Do you guys think it is a good or bad idea to let a friend let me behind the wheel of their car in a very very quiet empty lot somewhere to at least have a go and try and reduce some fear?
    As long as they only teach you how to get the car moving them yes, as you don't want to pick up bad habits from them!

I passed my test last week at twenty eight and had no prior experience and was the same as you on my first lesson, absolutely terrified, but my instructor was awesome and that went quickly after a couple of lessons.

Best advice I can give you is to shop around for an instructor and get some feedback from other people that have used them.
  • bbvDJC 17 Oct 2018 12:08:33 2,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also just realised that post was months ago. Good job me.
  • bbvDJC 17 Oct 2018 12:08:34 2,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • LFace 17 Oct 2018 12:22:09 53 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well as it happens I have started taking up lessons and wish I did them earlier. I've had 7 (or was it 8) so far and majority were two hours each. The initial fear was awful but it soon passed as I started getting more confident and realising its not actually that hard at all.

I'm driving miles now each lesson including during rush hour. Next one tomorrow :)
  • bbvDJC 17 Oct 2018 12:24:57 2,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LFace wrote:
    Well as it happens I have started taking up lessons and wish I did them earlier. I've had 7 (or was it 8) so far and majority were two hours each. The initial fear was awful but it soon passed as I started getting more confident and realising its not actually that hard at all.

I'm driving miles now each lesson including during rush hour. Next one tomorrow :)
    That's good to hear! Glad you got over the initial fear like I did as it's the best thing I've done in a long time learning to drive! Keep it up and good luck with your theory and practical.
  • bbvDJC 17 Oct 2018 12:24:58 2,000 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LFace wrote:

That's good to hear! Glad you got over the initial fear like I did as it's the best thing I've done in a long time learning to drive! Keep it up and good luck with your theory and practical.
  • LFace 4 Nov 2018 16:35:53 53 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Quick update. So I'm 12 lessons in as of today and just done parallel parking, more dual carriageways and one way systems and a tour of Barnsley. I still get anxiety a little leading up to each lesson but soon as I'm behind the wheel, that passes. My instructor reckons practical test ready in January.

Take it from someone who has been scared shitless of doing any form of driving for 20+ years, if you are feeling the same way and read this forum, just get your first lesson in. You'll hate the feeling leading up to it and you'll have white fingers from gripping wheel tight, but you seriously will thank yourself for taking that first step. You can do it.
  • bentrophy 6 Dec 2018 09:06:36 8 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    That sounds great! I remember when I took the exam for the first time. I do enjoy driving but right now I've been a neglectful owner and need to replace certain parts on my truck.
  • gooner77 6 Dec 2018 10:21:13 1,342 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My tip is always practice holding the steering wheel. Hold a large plate in both hands at the 10-2 position and turn it around clockwise and anti clockwise.
  • vanDevious 6 Dec 2018 13:19:15 338 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was a late starter getting my first lessons but I had to put them on hold as I needed the money to buy a house and get my train season ticket. Now things are looking better I'm going to finish them off and I can't wait to get started again. I wasn't having any trouble with the manual gearbox but even a few lessons made me realise I will never ever buy a manual car given the choice. Is there really any point going back to manual lessons if I won't ever drive a manual car? Seems like I could pass the test much more quickly just doing auto.

@LFace did you end up doing any driving with the missus? mine is up for it but I don't think I am. She's a good driver but terrible teacher.
  • bad09 6 Dec 2018 13:41:08 8,581 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gooner77 wrote:
    My tip is always practice holding the steering wheel. Hold a large plate in both hands at the 10-2 position and turn it around clockwise and anti clockwise.
    A friend of mine gave me this advice, he practiced for his test in front of YouTube with a plate and imagining the pedals. Said it really helped him.

I stuck with my G29 and VR setup to practice for my test though :)
  • LFace 6 Dec 2018 13:44:14 53 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @vanDevious - no mate. The Mrs drives an automatic plus I didn't feel comfortable having a go in case I balls something up royally. I've only ever driven the instructors car. It started off in a Diesel Merc but she's changed company and its now a petrol Toyota. Only been in it once so I took a two hour lesson just driving around in it to get used to it. Its a fast little bugger compared to the diesel.

I passed my theory last week and she wants me to get my practical booked in now as she's confident I'm ready for it after a couple more lessons or so.
  • vanDevious 6 Dec 2018 13:50:52 338 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    good luck mate, hopefully I won't be too far behind! (not literally hopefully).
  • Ror 6 Dec 2018 14:45:44 17,885 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good luck to you both!
  • Saucy 6 Dec 2018 20:36:42 2,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good luck chaps! I remember many stressful lessons with my Dad, absolutely hated it at the time. 15 years later I still get nervous when I drive him anywhere!
  • askew 6 Dec 2018 23:00:57 18,022 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    vanDevious wrote:
    good luck mate, hopefully I won't be too far behind! (not literally hopefully).
    Tyres and tarmac ;)
  • MMMarmite 7 Dec 2018 00:24:40 1,579 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    vanDevious wrote:I wasn't having any trouble with the manual gearbox but even a few lessons made me realise I will never ever buy a manual car given the choice. Is there really any point going back to manual lessons if I won't ever drive a manual car? Seems like I could pass the test much more quickly just doing auto.
    If you have no trouble with a manual then its usually worth passing the manual test rather than switching to automatic. You never know when you might need the flexibility of being able to drive manual or auto rather than just auto, for example courtesy cars, rentals, work vehicles, a friend or relatives car etc...

Personally, Im lazy, so part-exd the manual for a self-charge hybrid which only comes in auto flavour ;)
  • thelzdking 7 Dec 2018 01:58:02 8,708 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is me in the new year.
  • K-Project 7 Dec 2018 08:26:22 457 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I took quite a few lessons when I was younger in a manual car, and while I had no trouble with it I couldn't understand why I needed interact with the car at this level. It just got on my nerves changing gears all the time, particularly so in the city where you're stopped at lights a lot. Constantly up and down. Why am I going up to 4th and 5th when in a second I'm back down into 1st for the lights? I gave up on lessons back then (silly I know) and just last year decided to pick it up again at 45, only this time automatic. And to say I'm pleased I did is an understatement.

At my age I would recommend automatic only all day long. For my daughter though we recommended manual, and she also passed this year. She said she'd pass in a manual and buy automatic, and I think that's a good idea tbh at a younger age.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.