Nintendo Switch flickers HDMI signal on and off docked.

• Akumamon 5 Aug 2017 08:22:02 94 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Anyone else having this problem when you have the Switch docked and after maybe 30mins the screen goes black for a bit then it comes back again?? It seems to happen more often lately and not ideal in the middle of playing games, especially in the middle of Splatoon 2? I've got the dock connected to my AV receiver so tried it directly connected to the TV just in case it was that, but it still does it :/ Gonna give it another go today to see if it was just a blip??
  • DangerousDave_87 5 Aug 2017 08:27:00 7,050 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well that sucks. I assume you've checked the very basics, like both HDMI ports (Dock and TV) are in good health? Have you checked to see if the sleep mode on the console is some how triggering it? I hope it's nothing serious.
  • MARKIV 5 Aug 2017 08:34:27 122 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Try it on another TV to rule it out.
  • Akumamon 5 Aug 2017 08:40:45 94 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thanks for the replies. Will try out those other suggestions to rule them out. Im using the HDMI cable I normally use for the 360 and that's been working fine and all I've done is just take out out of my 360 and connected it to the dock. I'll try a different cable in case it may randomly be that but I've got a suspicion there's something up with the dock :/ I'll see how it goes with those other things I haven't tried though.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 5 Aug 2017 08:43:49 10,527 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Try turning off the match TV power state thing in settings.
  • Akumamon 5 Aug 2017 09:07:38 94 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nice, I'll try turning that off as well as I haven't tried that either.
  • Akumamon 5 Aug 2017 11:19:17 94 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well... I was going to check out using a different HDMI and all the other things that I was going to test out but Im getting no picture whatsover when docked now :( I've tried different HDMI inputs on the AV receiver and the TV but nothing. I briefly got a picture at one point though, but it flickered on and off for a bit and then the picture was lost. It seems to still charge when docked because I see that the green light is on. I plugged the switch directly from the charging cable to see if there was a possible problem there but I see the charging icon appear when I connect the cable. So it would appear that I'm going to have to contact Nintendo for repair :( I've got a bad feeling I'm going to have to send the dock and console... hope it's just the dock :/
    Thanks for the suggestions though. Sod's law it would happen to me! Grrrr.

Edited by Akumamon at 11:19:30 05-08-2017
  • DangerousDave_87 5 Aug 2017 11:32:40 7,050 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That sucks. Hopefully they just need the dock. I wonder what's gone wrong. :/
  • Deleted user 5 August 2017 11:54:56
    Not with a switch but I've had this happen with other consoles. One time it was a faulty HDMI cable, the other it was an HDMI switcher box thing that didn't get on with with PS4.

Edit: Just saw it deteriorated further so not those.

Edited by Spectral at 11:56:51 05-08-2017
  • Akumamon 5 Aug 2017 12:08:27 94 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, I'll sort it out in the week as I want to at least take part in the splatfest this weekend :) It's a shame I dont get to play it on the big TV :( It's quite strange as I had a quick ganders on the internet for this problem and it's not just me who's encountered it but its fairly hidden to find out about it? I guess it's a rare problem. Thanks again people for the feedback.
  • mothercruncher 5 Aug 2017 12:49:45 19,416 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Try a new cable before you send it back.
  • quadfather 5 Aug 2017 13:57:39 38,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not a Samsung KS series telly by any chance is it?
  • jystyn 5 Aug 2017 19:14:37 125 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've had this same problem on a Samsung TV. I thought it was meant to have been fixed in the latest firmware update. I've got my Switch plugged in on a Sony TV now and no problems
  • feliponcho 22 Jul 2021 06:47:49 1 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 1 week ago
    I just had this issue today, the second day after I purchased the switch. I skipped internet connection and played Mario Kart 8 with no issues whatsoever. This morning I connected the switch to the internet and it completed the updates, and after that, the flickering started. I could only make it stop after setting the resolution to 720p. Both automatic and 1080p resolutions had flickering. I even changed the cable to no avail: I always make sure co buy certified HDMI cables. So I think this issue is FW issue somewhere in the HDMI path. Sometimes they use re-timers in the display lanes that are controlled with FW that fine-tunes the current on those lines. I'll recommend you to lower the resolution. They usually adjust the FW to make the device compatible with newer TVs and displays, and sadly this affects old TVs like mine (Sony Google TV).
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.