iPhone X and other stories Page 41

• Fake_Blood 9 Dec 2017 01:07:23 8,617 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How do you close an app when it locks up?
  • THFourteen 9 Dec 2017 07:35:43 48,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Apps donít lock up on iOS.
  • Dougs 9 Dec 2017 08:08:11 85,714 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The whole device does instead well, my 3gs did...
  • Porko_Rossi 9 Dec 2017 09:39:06 79 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Fake_Blood double tap the home screen button then side swipe the app window to close it.
  • Zomoniac 9 Dec 2017 11:33:15 9,690 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mfolf wrote:
    I think the app switching is significantly better than before. Donít think about the hold, it recognises it a lot faster than you think. Stop for the slowest of moments and you are there. Making it quicker than before.
    I donít mind the switching, itís the way they close now.

Face ID kept failing on me this morning, went through a 20 minute period of a 90% failure rate when I was looking straight at it, and has been fine since. Odd.
  • yegon 9 Dec 2017 11:40:40 6,214 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I like that they've added a step to closing apps. Pointless exercise for anything but misbehaving apps. Sure, if your battery is draining suspiciously, investigate and find the naughty app, but the constant closing of apps is a complete waste of time and arguably uses more battery overall as it has to reload everything.

I see people on the train use app/close app/put phone in pocket/pull out phone/open app, rinse repeat. Idiotic.
  • elstoof 9 Dec 2017 12:04:59 20,056 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Mfolf wrote:
    I think the app switching is significantly better than before. Donít think about the hold, it recognises it a lot faster than you think. Stop for the slowest of moments and you are there. Making it quicker than before.
    I donít mind the switching, itís the way they close now.

Face ID kept failing on me this morning, went through a 20 minute period of a 90% failure rate when I was looking straight at it, and has been fine since. Odd.
    Was it ok after you put your makeup on
  • Fake_Blood 9 Dec 2017 16:50:15 8,617 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Porko_Rossi wrote:
    @Fake_Blood double tap the home screen button then side swipe the app window to close it.
    I mean when the home button isn't visible when the app crashes.
  • askew 9 Dec 2017 17:07:49 16,740 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    My X arrived earlier today. Iím liking all this screen. Face ID mostly seems to work but definitely not as reliable as Touch ID, seems to only work if Iím facing it head on. Also none of my banking apps support it, which annoying.
    If they supported Touch ID they should support Face ID. Unless they've been lazy and haven't bothered supporting the X yet.

Like Google Ė†Inbox /still/ hasn't been updated for the new screen dimensions.
  • Wonderboyf60 9 Dec 2017 20:14:12 64 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Camera on this is insanely good, loving portrait photos 📷
  • Zomoniac 10 Dec 2017 01:05:55 9,690 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    My X arrived earlier today. Iím liking all this screen. Face ID mostly seems to work but definitely not as reliable as Touch ID, seems to only work if Iím facing it head on. Also none of my banking apps support it, which annoying.
    If they supported Touch ID they should support Face ID. Unless they've been lazy and haven't bothered supporting the X yet.

Like Google Ė†Inbox /still/ hasn't been updated for the new screen dimensions.
    Halifax and Barclays havenít had X updates, they supported Touch ID but donít with Face ID.

Though the Amex app supports Face ID but hasnít had an X screen dimensions update. Odd.
  • THFourteen 10 Dec 2017 05:49:00 48,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Zomoniac

Ah luck of the draw. Am sure itís coming, I use HSBC and NatWest, both use Face ID. In fact NatWest was day 1 which I was shocked by.

Agree on the camera Iím getting some ace shots out of this of my little munchkins.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Dec 2017 16:57:04 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone fancy an iMac just short of 5 grand, with specs that aren't exactly groundbreaking? Or you could plump for the 12 grand option.

iMac Pro: Apple releases its most expensive computer Ė starting at £4,899
  • Jeepers 14 Dec 2017 17:27:43 16,533 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And don't forget forget that you can't upgrade anything. Not even the memory.
  • dominalien 14 Dec 2017 17:40:01 8,575 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And I thought my Mac Pro was expensive. It's insane, and not even that sexy; it looks just like a regular iMac.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Dec 2017 17:43:28 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    And don't forget forget that you can't upgrade anything. Not even the memory.
    I thought you could, but only through Apple so as not to void the warranty and even then the cost for upgraded components would be over double the normal price.
  • Tonka 14 Dec 2017 18:09:25 27,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You're not meant to buy it unless you literally don't give a fuck about money.

It's a rushed stop gap solution intended to quiet the rising complaints from people who use apples products professionally until the promised real Mac PRO is released next year.

That said... They might just walk away from desktop altogether.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Dec 2017 18:14:17 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    You're not meant to buy it unless you literally don't give a fuck about money.

It's a rushed stop gap solution intended to quiet the rising complaints from people who use apples products professionally until the promised real Mac PRO is released next year.

That said... They might just walk away from desktop altogether.
    Yeah, I know. There's a really annoying iPad Pro commercial doing the rounds that ends with an older woman asking a little girl what's she doing on the computer to which the girl replies "what's a computer?"

Eurgh!
  • HarryB 14 Dec 2017 18:29:47 7,307 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ha, my Mrs went fucking mental when she saw that ad. And she loves Apple stuff - but found it extremely cringey.
  • yegon 14 Dec 2017 19:06:24 6,214 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Expansion capability, or lack thereof, aside, seem to remember reading a build-your-own equivalent to the base iMac Pro was round about the same price, maybe 3 or 4 hundred cheaper.

A far better machine geared towards gaming could be done far cheaper, but that entirely misses the point of the iMac Pro.

Not that I think the iMac Pro is a good idea in the first place incidentally.

Edited by yegon at 19:09:21 14-12-2017
  • JamboWayOh 14 Dec 2017 19:12:18 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Expansion capability, or lack thereof, aside, seem to remember reading a build-your-own equivalent to the base iMac Pro was round about the same price, maybe 3 or 4 hundred cheaper.

A far better machine geared towards gaming could be done far cheaper, but that entirely misses the point of the iMac Pro.

True, it's more for designers and creative types but what is in that setup is not worth 5k.
  • Tonka 14 Dec 2017 19:25:08 27,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Those comparisons are from earlier this spring. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those components are cheaper by now or have been outdated.

What really impresses me is how the iMac Pro keeps the core mistake of the Mac pro by not being upgradeable. Will it work with external graphics cards?
  • JamboWayOh 14 Dec 2017 19:28:52 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

What really impresses me is how the iMac Pro keeps the core mistake of the Mac pro by not being upgradeable.
    Surely that's by design.
  • yegon 14 Dec 2017 19:39:51 6,214 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wouldnít be comfortable having an all-in-one under heavy load 24 hours a day, surely the point of it?

Not that Iím in any way shape or form the target audience. If I wasnít heavily into PC gaming, a 5 year old i5 with 8gb ram and an onboard gpu would probably suffice for all my computing needs, ha.

Edited by yegon at 19:41:50 14-12-2017
  • Zomoniac 14 Dec 2017 20:07:16 9,690 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    yegon wrote:

True, it's more for designers and creative types but what is in that setup is not worth 5k.
    In which case just get a Surface Studio.

I donít understand this new world in which MS are the leading hardware innovators, but it seems to be the case.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Dec 2017 20:08:35 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I guess Apple need the money, they seem so hard up....

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.