Octopath Traveller Page 10

• hypoBla5t 20 Jul 2018 10:54:13 2,284 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You sound surprised good sir!!

I too am loving it, working through Chapter 2s now, my tactic being keeping the same core 3 (Ophilia, Cyrus and mostly H’aanit) and then bringing the other one whose story it is along, giving them plenty of armour and defending until they level up. Seems to be working so far.
  • Kay 20 Jul 2018 11:03:07 19,767 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just ordered the full version. Do I need to max out the 3 hour limit on the demo before being allowed to continue on the full version?
  • hypoBla5t 20 Jul 2018 11:19:19 2,284 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kay

Shouldn’t think so, when you boot up the full game it asks if you wish to carry over or not.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jul 2018 11:46:54 18,886 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, you don't.
  • Kay 20 Jul 2018 11:58:22 19,767 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cool, thanks. Though I'm already wondering if I should start afresh with a new character, or just stick with Therion...
  • JoelStinty 20 Jul 2018 12:53:41 6,931 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you stick with Therion he will be your main character and is a permanent fixture in your party. If you start afresh you will (if you want) have to play through is opening story again.

It is pretty much a lottery really when it comes to choosing someone blindly. Each have their advantages/disadvantages and that will probably change throughout the game as well. So i guess it's up to you!

Just got two left to collect now. Ophelia and Hannit. Cyrus is the latest character i've collected and quite enjoyed his back story.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jul 2018 13:00:35 18,886 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The adventures of Cyrus, Library Cop.
  • Kay 20 Jul 2018 13:24:40 19,767 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    If you stick with Therion he will be your main character and is a permanent fixture in your party. If you start afresh you will (if you want) have to play through is opening story again.
    I don't mind having Therion in the party, and I've already recruited Alfyn as well. And I suppose you can recruit all the other characters eventually anyway (and choose which ones to keep in your party), so I won't be missing out on anything.
  • Graxlar_v3 20 Jul 2018 13:25:03 4,539 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    How are people finding the jump from chapter 1 to 2?

I have been rotating my team for experience but find my main guy at lvl 18 and the rest between 16-13 with 1 more person to recruit.

I dont know where i am going to get the lvls needed to do chapter 2 outside of running some over world dungeons.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jul 2018 13:32:53 18,886 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Weird, I haven't done much grinding and most of my team is 18-22, with the newbies around 15 or so.

Though I was lucky enough to kill a Cait, and that was worth 3+ levels by itself.
  • Graxlar_v3 20 Jul 2018 13:51:45 4,539 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I haven't found any Cait's. I don't think i have been rushing through areas, i have been taking my time and getting all the chests. I have played for 10 hours so far.
  • Duffking 20 Jul 2018 13:52:36 15,933 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I did so much exploring my main 4 were at level 27+ before I even started the Chapter 2s. I did kill 3 Caits during that time though.

Edited by Duffking at 13:52:56 20-07-2018
  • richyroo 21 Jul 2018 10:09:39 282 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm doing the chapter 2s and finding my team over levelled. I hate it when things become too easy
  • Mola_Ram 21 Jul 2018 10:23:53 18,886 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish I could swap out my main character. I know I'll be able to do it at some point, but right now what I really want is a spot to put one more low-level person.
  • JoelStinty 21 Jul 2018 13:25:03 6,931 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why does it sound like Olberic shouts Pervert! in battle. I think he is meant to say How about it! but i rarely hear that :|
  • richyroo 22 Jul 2018 13:51:29 282 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    I'm doing the chapter 2s and finding my team over levelled. I hate it when things become too easy
    I withdraw this comment. Just as I think my party are a few levels ahead, a couple of missions later and they are spot on or just behind. Its only my main character who I cant swap out who is now 7-8 levels ahead of eveyone else.
  • Graxlar_v3 22 Jul 2018 16:14:07 4,539 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I started the chapter 2’s today and spent a bit of time getting my squad upto the required level. Am 16 hours in and have done primrose’s story and started Tressa’s. All my team are early to mid 20’s now which is good but seeing what chapter 3 brings I can see another bout of levelling in my future
  • richyroo 22 Jul 2018 21:32:37 282 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So who would you say your most useful party member is?

Mine has got to be Ophilia.

I have given her the secondary job "Scholar". She has a large elemental attack stat and she just rips through everything while occasionally healing the party.

I also learnt a few skills with her from the "Dancer" job set until she unlocked the skill which enables you to gain some SP each turn. Once this skill was learnt I switched back to the Scholar job. She now never runs out of SP.
  • JoelStinty 22 Jul 2018 21:35:27 6,931 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just about to finish up chapter 1 stories. Just gonna explore and do side quests for hannits town. Look forward to starting the second lot of chapters!
  • Innit 22 Jul 2018 23:38:24 297 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Post deleted
  • Mola_Ram 23 Jul 2018 00:32:15 18,886 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I'm doing everyone, and trying to cycle my party around so that everyone (aside from the Merchant, my main) is at a similar level. It's been mostly fine, though I had to look for a while to get a decent grinding place. There's not many places between "danger level 11" (way too easy) and "danger level 21" (slightly too hard).
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Jul 2018 07:36:34 4,539 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah I am swapping a team in getting it through a chapter, changing two or three members out do the next chapter etc etc
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Jul 2018 07:37:14 4,539 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I am about 17 hours in now and done 2 chapter 2’s.
  • Kay 23 Jul 2018 11:35:45 19,767 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Townsperson's bio: "a poor guy struggling to make ends meet"
    Checks steal options: loads of items, everything at 100% steal rate

Hmm...

Recruited four characters and started Therion's chapter 2. Bit weird that sections of the town are still blocked off with a sign, surely they could have come up with a more elegant way of stopping people entering (even just by having a character stand there and say that it's not safe to enter, or whatever).

Also weird that you need to decide whether to continue with a story when you enter a town - again, why not just have a character to talk to resume the quest, like in all other RPGs?

The main quests do seem pretty dry and hand-holdy so far, and I really hope there's more variation later on than just "talk to person, go through simple dungeon, fight boss". But the combat system is great, and random battles are a lot more bearable now that I have Cyrus. It's one of those games that doesn't really do anything special, but there's just about enough in there to make it compelling.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 23 Jul 2018 12:41:34 32,207 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Bit weird that sections of the town are still blocked off with a sign, surely they could have come up with a more elegant way of stopping people entering (even just by having a character stand there and say that it's not safe to enter, or whatever).
    The thing is, I've definitely run into the later. I've tried to go somewhere and had a dialogue prompt tell me something along the lines of "I don't need to go this way yet..", yet they still chose to just make it big, road blocking signs at other points in the story.

I'm really not sure why they have the signs. All I can think of is perhaps that's due to demo feedback where people maybe asked for a more visually clear way of showing blocked paths? Even then, that doesn't explain why some are still blocked by a little monologue.
  • Kay 24 Jul 2018 10:58:59 19,767 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, it's a bit weird. Some towns have instances of both.

The combat in this game can be utterly brutal sometimes. I started one of the chapter 2s whilst being below the recommended level, and the boss was absolutely destroying me. Think I'll have to go and gather the other characters first before attempting the second chapters.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Jul 2018 11:07:03 18,886 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good thing about chapter 2 is that you level up really quickly in the dungeons before the boss. I started Primrose's chapter 2 with a few party members below recommended level, but they were up to scratch with just a tiny bit of level grinding in the cave.
  • Kay 24 Jul 2018 11:36:31 19,767 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I did level up quickly and got through some tough encounters in the dungeon, but as I've turned random encounters down, perhaps I didn't fight as much as I should have. In the case of the boss, I can't even defeat the minions, let alone the boss himself.

Edited by Kay at 11:37:47 24-07-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 24 Jul 2018 11:40:34 4,539 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Kay wrote:
    Yeah, it's a bit weird. Some towns have instances of both.

The combat in this game can be utterly brutal sometimes. I started one of the chapter 2s whilst being below the recommended level, and the boss was absolutely destroying me. Think I'll have to go and gather the other characters first before attempting the second chapters.
    wait... how below Recommended level were you?

How many characters had you picked up before doing chapter 2?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 24 Jul 2018 11:50:03 32,207 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really take great joy in entering a new area and experimenting with new enemies by using pretty much every power, so I can fill in those little weakness boxes :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.