Octopath Traveller Page 14

Next Last
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jan 2019 07:22:29 14,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I gave Cyrus the Cleric second job as he is the strongest magic user.

Ideally you probably want to pair up the characters so that you can have all 8 jobs available in every fight. (I didnít do this though and it would make the character who has the same pair as your main useless).
  • Duffking 10 Jan 2019 09:38:45 16,060 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I kind of did that but I didn't find it so limiting. Tressa was my main character so she was Merchant/Warrior with one of my parties and Merchant/Hunter in the other.
  • DangerousDave_87 10 Jan 2019 14:05:35 5,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My main is a thief who is well equipped to keep on top of their own health and sp, as well as dealing massive damage. I don't know what job to give them as I probably won't use it. They don't need it.

H'annit is another character I can't see using the 2nd job, besides the extra skills.

I did consider having the cleric and scholar take each other's jobs as you folk say, but health is always an issue. Cyrus has no health at the best of times.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jan 2019 14:06:12 14,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That would have been sensible. I never changed the 2nd job.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jan 2019 14:11:34 14,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow. Thread is left dormant for 4 hours but when I reply to Duff, Dave pops in and makes me look silly.

In hindsight Therion is the character to main as his open chest over world skill is the only essential one that you need access to at all times.
  • RyanDS 10 Jan 2019 14:35:12 12,641 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also his steal skill is a free gauge enemy health.

Edited by RyanDS at 14:35:37 10-01-2019
  • DangerousDave_87 10 Jan 2019 17:48:12 5,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha. Yeah, I figured that trick out quite early on. It's very handy. I think Tressa can do the same with her coin pinching ability.
  • DangerousDave_87 10 Jan 2019 23:17:30 5,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ha! I've discovered some placeholder audio that has been left in the game. I've made Tressa a thief and so she can now use the Wildfire skill. It's just an elemental attack. Half the time you use it you'll hear her voice actor grunt, but the other half is a male voice actor saying 'bang!' in a soft voice. It's very jarring, but equally amusing.
  • Murbs 11 Jan 2019 06:54:55 24,206 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    35 hours in and I've only found the thief and warrior so far. Tressa's the thief and Ophilia is the warrior.

Need to do chapter 2 for my underlevelled characters (Therion, Alfyn & Olberic) so some serious grinding (and new equipment) is due.
  • Murbs 11 Jan 2019 06:56:57 24,206 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 :D

My Tressa is also a thief so I'm giving that a go ASAP!
  • PazJohnMitch 11 Jan 2019 07:28:30 14,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Murbs

Their overworld skills have some level gating in a couple of chapters but you do not need to be at the level the game suggests. (Especially if your main is comfortably over the suggested level).

I think the overworld level gates are in multiples of 5. So if the game suggests level 24 you only actually need to be at level 20 to progress.

I started some chapters considerably below the recommended level. The weaker characters usually make up a lot of levels in the chapterís dungeon. So you will be at the required level by the time you reach the boss anyway.
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Jan 2019 01:38:23 5,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've finished 6 of the 2nd chapters now and it's clear I'm quite over-levelled. I'm beginning to realise that although you have the freedom to tackle the chapters in any order you wish, there's probably a particular order in which to do them that keeps things consistently challenging.

Primrose and Alfyn's chapters are tucked away behind some high level areas, making it difficult to reach them without a stronger team. However, if like me you like to mix the team up after each chapter, all your characters tend to be over-levelled by the time you reach these destinations. Even if it's only a few levels above the recommended number.

I guess I was expected to level up half the team and use those characters to reach these hard to reach places, and then switch to a weaker team that's better suited to the chapter? I'm not sure how else I could do it. Perhaps I should equip that skill that lowers the random encounters?

It's not a major fault with the game, but the battle system shines when you're pouncing above your weight rather than below it.
  • DangerousDave_87 16 Jan 2019 02:24:14 5,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've cleared all the 2nd chapters now, so in theory that's the half way point. 40 hours on the clock, mind. I don't think I'm going to complete it as quickly as others have on here. I guess I play games at a much slower pace these days.

Some of the stories have improved since the opening chapters. Primrose's story is pretty dark. The use of language and the dialog surprises me, considering the game carries an age rating of 12. Alfyn's second chapter was well written, too. Even better is the optional banter between characters during chapters. I didn't even know it was a thing until after completing the first couple of chapter 2s.

I'd have to say that, with the exception of Ophillia, its the female characters that are proving the most interesting. They have a lot more depth than any of the guys, who seem rather simple by comparison. There's little to like about Olberic or Cyrus and Therion seems on a very predictable path to enlightenment through the power of love.
  • PazJohnMitch 16 Jan 2019 10:24:25 14,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Game took me 85 hours. So 40 at the midpoint was where I was too.

Primrose was my main and some of the character skits later on are a bit risky for a 12.

There is one where she teases Cyrus for being awkward around women and offers him a lap dance from her and Hannit. Hannit is not happy about this and Primose then offers Hannit seduction advice. It is implied that Hannit is a virgin.
  • Murbs 18 Jan 2019 15:08:37 24,206 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've only just discovered the benefits of my nuts \o/
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Jan 2019 15:54:47 14,253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Things could get very messy, very quickly.
  • DangerousDave_87 27 Jan 2019 01:14:27 5,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've only just realised that your elemental attack changes massively depending on which weapon you have selected in battle. Primrose has become a Dancer/Scholar and whilst the staff gives her 250-odd elemental attack, her knife from the Dancer class fives her over 500. It makes such a big difference and yet I've never paid attention to it unless I'm doing a physical attack.

I'm now down to the last 8 chapters. 53 hours on the clock.
  • Farley2k 12 Mar 2019 17:34:20 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just picked this up and I am debating who to start with...without reading all 13 pages here is there a consensus of who is a good choice?
  • Mola_Ram 12 Mar 2019 20:48:19 19,362 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd say Therion the thief, if only because of his ability to open blue chests. It's less of a pain to backtrack for them if he's always in your party.

But don't worry about the choice too much. I started with the merchant, and was still able to experience all the stories without much trouble.
  • Poorandugly 12 Mar 2019 21:22:31 591 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    H'annit the hunter is a good choice as well, her capture ability is really good. Liked her story as well.
  • richyroo 12 Mar 2019 21:52:06 355 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Farley2k I started with Alfyn. At first I thought I made a bad decision, but it turns out that his apothecary abilities are really strong. Later in the game he is one of the best characters to break the enemies defences.

The merchant is one of the best all round characters stat wise and has some useful support skills.

I spent over 100 hours playing this game and loved every minute. I would just choose whoever seems interesting andrun with it. There is no bad choice really.

Edited by richyroo at 21:56:52 12-03-2019
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.