Total War: Warhammer 2

First Previous
  • urban 26 Sep 2017 13:04:34 13,098 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Figured it'd make sense to split the threads, Reviews are coming in very high which has once again made me take the jump and preorder.

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Sep 2017 13:16:27 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pre-ordered some time ago. Really looking forward to this - but have to fly out of the country for more than a week on the day it comes out (seriously, 29 September seems to be the release date for half the games I care about this Autumn).

Really waiting for the Grand Campaign which spans both TW:W1 and TW:W2.
  • Dgzter 26 Sep 2017 13:27:10 3,226 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to hold off and just play through the first one for the time being - will definitely pick up later on though.

Yes, really intrigued by how the Grand Campaign will play out; on paper it sounds very cool, but will obviously depend on the implementation.
  • urban 26 Sep 2017 18:53:20 13,098 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I didn't even know that was a thing! Wow!

I'm going to give my first Coop Total War campaign a shot. We'll have to agree on a race though...we don't tend to agree on much! It's remarkable we're friends at all to be honest.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Sep 2017 23:01:38 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So this unlocked early. Managed to get an hour or so in, before I fly out of the country tomorrow. Feels a bit barebones at the moment - clearly needs a lot of DLC to look/feel as polished and rounded as the original. Started a High Elf campaign and the tutorial massively outstays its welcome.

Still, it does seem like the fundamentals are good. Obviously not got the slightest bit of a handle on any of the factions yet, but they don't seem to have fucked anything up in the mechanics.
  • Dgzter 28 Sep 2017 23:06:35 3,226 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How was performance Roguey? Hearing that the campaign map is still a bit fugly :( I'm suffering lots of texture issues in TW:W1, which I was hoping there would be an improvement on here.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Sep 2017 23:09:32 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Performance seems exactly the same as TW:W1. It's blatantly the same engine with a few tiny cosmetic tweaks. My i7 6700K and 1080 Ti get very decent framerates on the campaign map and in all of the battles I've seen so far at 4k/ultra. Of course, it was always the big end-game scenarios that stressed things and I obviously can't speak for those yet...

Edit: And just to be clear, I'm running in DX12 mode.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:10:24 28-09-2017
  • figgis 29 Sep 2017 09:21:26 7,721 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hopefully I'll get the change to play with some dinosaurs this weekend.
  • foster2007 29 Sep 2017 09:22:04 332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    hmmm performance seems slightly worse on campaign map, battles seem great though. The tutorial is killing me though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Sep 2017 09:51:02 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @foster2007 Could be worse. I remember Rome 2 having something like a6 hour tutorial before it even allowed manual saves. At least this is only an hour or so.
  • DamoVotf 29 Sep 2017 09:59:52 1,465 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I got stuck on near the end of the tutorial and it wouldnt let me proceed until I had clicked all the tooltips. No tool tips showing and no ability to save. Wasted hour next time the tutorial can go fuck itself.
  • Dgzter 29 Sep 2017 10:35:38 3,226 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah not being able to save in tutorials is fucking infuriating.

On performance: I'm annoyingly hyper-sensitive to FPS fluctuation, frame pacing issues, and texture deterioration. I genuinely hate myself for it, as it has ruined my experience of so many games over the years. It just really bugs me, which is pathetic as, in most cases, it should only really be a fairly minor irritation :(

I'm fighting against it in TW:W atm: playing on an i5 6600k with a 1080 TI, and the campaign map just looks like shit, the AA seems very poorly optimized and the lighting effects fluctuate from decent to utterly fucking abysmal. FPS is alright mind you.

Edited by Dgzter at 10:35:56 29-09-2017
  • basmans_grob 2 Oct 2017 18:07:32 1,487 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It takes an age to load the map after a battle but bloody hell this game is good
  • figgis 4 Oct 2017 08:54:34 7,721 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm enjoying it. I always have to restart a faction a few times until I get their economy working correctly. It's pretty good out of the box this time, however there is an issue with some units disengaging from combat.
  • ResidentKnievel 4 Oct 2017 11:15:45 7,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is aces

Started with Queek on Legendary, secured the first province, now I'm looking forward to figuring out how to deal with the incoming hordes of High Elves and Lizardmen.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 11:17:24 04-10-2017
  • basmans_grob 4 Oct 2017 14:08:01 1,487 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Muliplayer campaign anybody?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2017 16:10:13 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A few hours into a High Elf campaign now. Reasonably impressed so far. Lots of nice little quality-of-life and UI improvements over the first game. The default advisor settings are completely overwhelming (he never shuts up), so I ended up turning him off completely. Makes me a bit nervous, in case some new-to-TW:W2 mechanic unlocks which actually needs explanation.

High Elves play very, very much like TW:W1's Empire. Clearly the "balanced" faction that a lot of players are expected to pick first, but with a much easier start position than Empire had. But their economy works in the same way, their tactical game is pretty similar to Empire (with just a dash of Bretonnia built in) and they unify their own faction through a similar blend of conquest and confederation as Empire.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2017 22:26:45 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Moving into the end-game now. Unified the High Elf continent pretty quickly and now have an expeditionary force ripping the absolute shit out of the Dark Elves. Way ahead on Vortex progress. Lizardmen are in second place and they are a ritual and a half behind me.
  • figgis 11 Oct 2017 08:45:44 7,721 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Haven't played skaven yet but I can take on two full stacks of them fairly easily with lizardmen. Is this still the case for human players?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2017 09:15:44 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @figgis Probably depends on the tech level of their army. I've only fought Skaven twice in my High Elf campaign. Once was against a low-tech army that I comprehensively crushed. The other was against a better teched army with more of their elite units and artillery. I won, but it was a tougher fight.

My sense is that their low-tech units are absolute garbage. They get a lot stronger later in the game, I think.
  • Gregolution 11 Oct 2017 09:45:41 10,058 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I struggled with this in my first game. I find some maps really frustrating to fight in. I started as Lizards which don't appeal at all but wanted to save the best till last (rats obvs!). My second battle I started at the bottom of a huge hill and there's loads of jungle everywhere, only a tiny pass up the hill is in the open.

How do you fight on a map like that? I enjoyed some battles in TWW1 when it was an open field and you're constantly trying to re organise your lines to protect ranged from cavalry charges etc but this just feels like a complete mess on such a small convoluted map.

I've always struggled a bit with the combat side of TWW, I want to like it more than I do. The campaign part seems a lot more fun.
  • Dgzter 11 Oct 2017 09:58:21 3,226 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    I've always struggled a bit with the combat side of TWW, I want to like it more than I do. The campaign part seems a lot more fun.
    Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat with TW:W1: really love the campaign, but more often than not I just find myself auto-resolving the battles.

I'm going to try and be more disciplined, as I'm clearly missing out on what is meant to be one of the main aspects of the game, let alone the bit that actually looks cool as fuck.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2017 10:01:22 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I tend to auto-resolve most battles where the bar is strongly in my favour. The exceptions will be the first few battles I do with a faction, fighting against a new faction, or fielding a new unit, when I'll do the battle manually to get a handle on how things work.

If the bar's evenly balanced or against you, it's often worth doing the battle. You can easily limit you casualties in an even battle more than auto-resolve will. I've also pulled off a few victories in the first game when the bar was heavily against me, a couple of which have proven to be campaign-defining.

Edited by Rogueywon at 10:01:40 11-10-2017
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2017 19:48:15 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Completed the High Elf campaign on Turn 124. It's an easy campaign - no harder than TW:W1's Dwarf campaign and certainly easier than the old Empire campaign. Nice simple starting position, a clear path to expansion and relatively defensible territory once you've expanded.

The real challenge in TW:W2 comes from the Chaos/Skaven invasions that come alongside rituals. Some of these were pretty nasty - especially as some experimenting with save-scumming proved that the entry point for the enemy armies is picked from one of a number of possible spawns and will always be the furthers one from your centre of military mass.

High Elves are really big on diplomacy. For most of the game, between 1/4 and 1/3rd of my income was from trade agreements. They're very clearly not a "kill em all" faction. To be honest, they're not that strong in the tactical game; their end-game units are ok but nothing special.

I note that while I decided at around turn 80 to go on the offensive and launch a campaign against the Dark Elves, I could equally have chosen to turtle up on my start continent and cruise to victory that way. I was well ahead of the other factions on waystones and only really needed to hold my own territory. But invading the Dark Elves was fun and got me a few achievement. But in Civilisation-terms, it's clear that Economic Victory is now very much possible, giving a bit of variance to the usual Total War end-game pace.

Probably Skaven next for me.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 Oct 2017 16:24:10 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm about 40 turns into a solo Skaven game now, plus around 25 into a Dark Elf co-op game. For those who haven't picked it up yet; you can only do same-faction co-op in the main TW:W2 campaign. Mixed-faction co-op is coming with the Mortal Empires patch at the end of the month.

Skaven are hard. Really, really hard. In terms of difficulty, I'd rank only Beastmen, Clan Angrund and Crooked Moon from the first game as being harder. Their low-tier units are utter junk (worse even than Greenskin or Vampire), public order is difficult to manage, there's no simple answer to the corruption question, the food and loyalty mechanics force sub-optimal decisions on you and the start position, while not nightmarish, is certainly tricky. My game's getting a bit better now that I'm bringing some mid-tech units to the fight, but I still don't feel like I'm more than a turn or two from disaster.

Dark Elf difficulty varies heavily depending on which of the two sub-factions you pick. In the co-op game, I'm Naggarond and my ally is Cult of Pleasure. I have had a much easier time of things, with a massively easier start position and generally easier faction management (the two Dark Elf factions have different order/chaos alignments, which forces different playstyles). The Nagarond sub-faction is probably a bit tougher to play than the main High Elf campaign, but it's still easy by the standards of the series. Possibly on a par with Wood Elves from the first game or, at worst, Empire.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Oct 2017 23:19:29 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mortal Empires DLC launches on the 26th, free for those who own both games. The full world-map has now been made available here.

This looks awesome. Pleased to see they've moved Queek's start position over properly into the Old World.
  • OnlyJoeKing 21 Oct 2017 10:35:39 1,088 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had this since launch, but gave it a quick try and it ran much, much worse than the first one on my pc, then I got a bit addicted to Elite and haven't been back. Must give it a proper go this weekend.

Lizardmen first, methinks.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Oct 2017 11:16:33 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lizardmen are the one faction I've not played so far. Judging by what I've heard, the difficulty scale of the campaigns goes roughly as follows (from easiest to hardest): High Elves - Lizardmen - Dark Elves - Skaven.

Certainly, Skaven are pretty bloody hard in the early game. Their low-tech units are utterly, utterly pathetic. They do get easier once you break into the middle technology tiers, but I've still never felt all that far from disaster as Skaven.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Oct 2017 23:46:47 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mortal Empires launched today. Want to finish my solo Skaven Vortex campaign before starting a Mortal Empires campaign. Nearly there now - 8 turns to go on the fifth ritual, then I can start the final battle.

Skaven are really, really, really hard. The food mechanic is an absolute bastard. It's almost impossible to have a large empire just ticking along, because unless you are constantly at war, food shortages are going to destroy your game. Raiding will get you through the mid-game, but not the late stages.

The intense strategic difficulty is only offset by their tactical power. Skaven are pretty bloody awesome in the tactical game. Their artillery at least equals (and maybe exceeds) the best Dwarf or Empire stuff. Their best melee units are only adequate, but their high-tech ranged units (globardiers) are fucking godly.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.