Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Page 39

• THFourteen 5 Feb 2018 14:19:37 48,202 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ecu

You’re right actually I did google a few locations there too.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 5 Feb 2018 21:14:22 206 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm determined to give this game a proper shake after not connecting with it at Christmas.

Problem is it's driving me mad trying to find certain side quests, even when they've been marked as active. I see the marker 100s of clicks away, so I look on the map to find where a shortcut might be but I end up bouncing all over the place.

I'm only in the first city you come to. Am I missing something obvious? This feels like the hardest I've ever had to work to enjoy something - and I do know I want to like it. It's just driving me a bit potty.

(My face fell when I thought I'd got on top of stuff last night then unlocked Poppi's innards...)
  • Mola_Ram 5 Feb 2018 21:19:23 17,728 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Bedders I'd just roll with it and not worry about understanding everything (though look up the trickier objective markers if they're giving you trouble). You'll eventually click with the systems, but that probably won't happen until around chapter 4.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 6 Feb 2018 07:58:05 206 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Thanks! Yeah I think I'm too worried about trying to understand everything rather than going with the flow. I still haven't cleared the first chapter. I'll stick with it and just take it on its own terms for now.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2018 09:25:53
    @Bedders Ignore Poppi. From what I can see she's something they bunged in to over complicate the game. Soon as I get another driver, the walking potato is gone along with Poppi. He's bloody annoying anyway.

AS for finding things, I spent ages trying to find a couple of things (white creature for a kid and a hungry would be ship propulsion unit). I found them eventually but had a few deaths on the way as I wandered down the wrong areas trying to find them. One of them was tricky as I was expecting an actual creature and it was just a red blob.

I've still got to find my way to the location specified by a mysterious note and I've got to find my way back to a potato that was flying high or something or other and ended up in the company of a couple of level 25 mobs and that wasn't happening while I was level 14.

Like you I didn't really click with it much at first. I think I'm starting to a little now and I think that's partly as I've thought "screw it" and just followed the nutty main story.
  • Load_2.0 6 Feb 2018 09:39:47 26,586 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There is a feeling earlier on that you have to master everything straight away but things like the blade or chain combos really only comes into play later when both you and enemies have loads more HP.

The maps are terrible and finding locations can be a real chore but it all started to be more enjoyable from maybe chapter 4 or 5 onwards.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 6 Feb 2018 13:14:17 206 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    OK thanks for all the tips, I think I'm just going to focus on the main story until I'm around Chapter 4 and not worry too much about side missions or systems until then.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2018 13:23:36
    @ecu She's only customizable if you play that infuriating game (or buy the expansion pack). I'm not doing either, so she's stuck how she is for ever in my game. I think I'm close to "alternate tank" and then I can say goodbye to both of them. I've hear "meh meh meh" as much as I want to this lifetime.
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2018 13:24:49 48,202 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finished :-(

105+ hours according to the Nintendo home screen. It wasn't without its foibles but i truly enjoyed every one of those hours.

Typically epic final cut scene to close out the experience.

Think i'll be leaving this one here for now, got a few things left to do and a number of side quests, but just doesn't feel apt doing those fetch quests now.

When's Xenoblade 3 out!!
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2018 13:49:09 48,202 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Game saves before the final battle and post completion you can reload from there. I haven't been back into the world to see if anything changes tho. It does save again after you complete the final battle but reloading that save takes you back to just before the battle again.

Ended up completing the game with Zeke, Nia and Morag. Needed to put a couple of Crit + Heal on Crit accessories on Zeke to get through. But only needed 3 attempts (would have been 2 i think, but pressed chain attack when trying to pause the game because the baby was crying and then died as soon as the chain attack had finished and no bars left for anyone to res me)

SPOILER - THERE IS A FINAL BATTLE ;-)
  • Load_2.0 6 Feb 2018 14:50:18 26,586 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Did anyone buy the expansion pack?
  • Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2018 15:00:50 17,728 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Poppi is a fucking monster - far, far better than #4 as a Tank - but you have to play the minigame a bit for her to really shine.

If you're prepared to do that, though, imo she's the best Blade in the game.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2018 15:02:02 17,728 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And yes, I bought the expansion pack. It has yet to show its worth to me. But there's apparently a lot more to come, so yeah.
  • ghearoid 6 Feb 2018 15:04:46 2,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ecu The game's just messing with you. Go ahead and fight that lvl90 monster and you'll see. It's nothing bad. ;)
  • Deleted user 6 February 2018 15:31:43
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    And yes, I bought the expansion pack. It has yet to show its worth to me. But there's apparently a lot more to come, so yeah.
    30,000 ether for Poppi would have helped with the expansion.

No way am I doing Tiger Tiger.
  • ghearoid 6 Feb 2018 15:32:47 2,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ecu but the side quest continues after it kicks your ass. Check the quest update.
  • ghearoid 6 Feb 2018 15:34:47 2,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For what it's worth, I was utter shite at Tiger!Tiger! so my poor Poppi didn't have a single upgrade.

I still used her in the final battle and won though. Mehmehmeh! :)
  • Deleted user 6 February 2018 15:35:54
    @ghearoid Stop it with the mehmehmeh! My right eye's starting to twitch!
  • ghearoid 6 Feb 2018 16:12:03 2,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @ecu it's the T-Rex in Gormott one? If so, all that is triggered then progressed by a guy at the naval base. Involves finding a researcher first etc.
  • uiruki 6 Feb 2018 18:34:17 4,518 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm 95% of the way to dropping this again. Feels like it doesn't respect your time at all.

First I'm trying to increase my merc level so I can (a) summon any blades at all again because I've just got a new character who isn't allowed any as I hit some bullshit limit 25 hours ago, and (b) actually get Suzaku's level up because he's been stuck, again, for the last 25 hours. But it throws some crying wanker at me who just randomly decides to one-shot everyone. No warning, no hint or anything at how you can deal. Characters are above his level and armed as well as possible, for what the shitty equipment system can give you. (Equipment is possibly the most tedious and irritating implementation of equipment this side of Tales of Zestiria).

Second I'm trying to go through the side quests which aren't just a succession of "collect 15 each of these 4 different items, but we're not telling you where they are, good luck fucker", so I get to that T-Rex one and by selecting the answer that the main character has gone to for the entire fucking game so far, I've fucked the quest until I'm level 91. I'm pretty sure it's the same one that Ecu is stuck on, and all that after I had to cancel a merc mission because the one guy I had with the extra level of observation was out on that mission. Again, couldn't just try and summon up more because of issue 1.

Actually, a special mention for the skill checks. I wouldn't mind if it just took from your blade list but every single time it expects you to slowly plod into the menus, slowly scroll through every character you have to see if they have a level in the skill, engage them, do the action, then manually swap them back. I honestly don't see how anyone can find that in the slightest bit interesting or entertaining. Just taking the piss - and I play some absolute garbage from time to time, as you'd see if you look at my posts in the "completed games" threads.
  • DakeyrasUK 6 Feb 2018 22:36:53 1,627 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, im now 70hrs in and just completed chapter 6.

Damn this game keeps on giving with the epic cutscenes!

I think this game takes number 2 spot from 2017 goty for me! Loving it, proper jrpg this is!
  • Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2018 22:55:40 17,728 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    30,000 ether for Poppi would have helped with the expansion.

No way am I doing Tiger Tiger.
    I don't know why people hate it that much. It's not a bad minigame, really, and you can play it on Easy Mode if you get stuck. A run on level 2 takes like 2 minutes, and you can get upwards of 2k ether for it. Rinse and repeat.

Imo it's a nice break from the regular game, mehmehmeh.
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2018 22:58:16 48,202 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK

I had a tear in my eye as the final credits rolled :-(

Didn't feel like playing any other game tonight after that so just watched some netflix
  • Load_2.0 6 Feb 2018 23:36:16 26,586 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah I thrashed the shit out of Tiger Tiger but putting it on easy after a few runs you should be getting decent returns.

There is a secret room on level two btw, just past the crab if you push right when against the wall.

Uiruki rather than try and get more space for blades why not let a load go? That will free up some space, I dump all the one star blades. There is no shortage of cores.
  • uiruki 7 Feb 2018 00:22:29 4,518 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Load_2.0 I'll have to look into that - I've not seen the option but if I can definitely do it by chapter 5 I'll have another look. I'll be honest, I put it back on earlier, tried another quest and got fucked up by random adds and that didn't improve my mood at all. Maybe at this point I just need to leave it and come back.
  • uiruki 7 Feb 2018 13:15:28 4,518 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tried again, dropped 20 or so blades, used up 25 common and 5 rare crystals and bunch of boosters and nothing. Ended up using Overdrives to at least give Nia a full set of rare healers but that didn't do much.

I think it's just not for me, after 40 hours it just seems to be trying to make itself more and more irritating to play.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.