Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Page 49

• ghearoid 7 Mar 2018 11:25:03 2,988 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tait0 I maxed out affinity charts, finished off side quests, hunted unique monsters, got new rare blade and quests etc.

Oh, and finally understood the combat. ;)
  • Tait0 7 Mar 2018 12:42:34 37 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have already maxed out all the blades I have got and completed every side quest I can find, don't know if there are any more hidden quests like the Brothersisterpon one? As that's not really an official "quest".

Are there quests for the rare super bosses? How are you supposed to know where to find them? I did level up the Infant Ardun in Gormot at the farm, and tried him out but he just owns my tank, am guessing I need to spend some time playing tiger tiger so that Tora can take more of a beating. Should I be able to beat him at level 92 or should I just level to 99 before trying the super bosses?

Also I know I can farm overdrive protocols to switch my blades around, what did everyone else do with that, I was just going to move every tank blade onto Morag every DPS blade onto Zeke and then all healers onto Nia. Is there any reason to do anything else?
  • Zero_g 7 Mar 2018 17:10:47 260 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tait0
    I think thatís pretty similar to most peopleís approach.

Nia has high ether so apparently she can become quite broken being repurposed as an attacker with ether cannon blades in the correct setup. Itís possible with the right builds to do away with a dedicated healer entirely.
  • DangerousDave_87 7 Mar 2018 19:18:02 4,621 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Does anyone have any advice for particular party set-ups? I've only bumped into my 4th character, but they don't particularly sit well within my team unless I substitute Rex. I've settled nicely into my Attacker, Tank and Healer combination and can't really imagine using much else at the minute.

Without spoiling too much, what other character types are there and what strategies are people using?
  • DangerousDave_87 7 Mar 2018 20:59:56 4,621 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've also realised I've asked that question wrongly. It's obviously the blades that define a characters role in combat. I didn't see him being much of a tank with his standard blade. I found Rex was attracting more attention. It's still early days I suppose.
  • DangerousDave_87 7 Mar 2018 21:46:27 4,621 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have one more question. Is there a way to call your team back to you when in combat? I know you could in the first game and I believe you could in X as well. However, there's no obvious way to do that here.

I only ask as the AI doesn't seem to much care when it comes to fighting in environmental hazards. :/
  • DakeyrasUK 7 Mar 2018 22:56:04 1,674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 if you are fighting another monster push left on the d pad to get them to fight what you are targetting.

If you are trying to run and want them to stop attacking, hold R and push b to detarget.

Other than that I know of no Scorpian "get over here" command.
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Mar 2018 00:05:00 4,621 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers. I guessed as much. A shame, but it's the only fault I can see with the combat system so far. I've just unlocked chain attacks, but didn't have Rex in my party for the tutorial, so that's gone over my head. I'm very much on top of the rest of the combat though. Blade combos. Driver combos. Switching blades at appropriate times.

I'm very much enjoying it. The first 20 hours have flown by!
  • Tait0 8 Mar 2018 10:00:13 37 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Zero_g It's all very well having high damage with those ether cannons but I find I just get agro continuously even with agro reducing accessories on the DPS and agro increase accessories on the tank...

I tried Relentless Arduran again last night after a bit of tinkering with my tank set up and managed to beat him a bunch of times at level 93 or so, I was trying to farm legendary cores by doing driver combos for the whole fight and they just weren't dropping at all, I might get one throughout the whole fight and then maybe one dropped once it died, but I didn't see any of this "20 dropping per fight" that I have heard all about, quite annoying. Same goes for Reeking Douglas beat him quite easily and smashed a ton and got nothing. I put a gold chip on my smasher (Roc) as I understand putting them on all party members is a waste now? Any tips on this or has this patch ruined any chance ta decent core farming?

I also gave Artifice Ophion a go, but after 3 x 20 minute fights he just does some move that 1 shots my whole party, quite frustrating, I believe I just need to have a play around with accessories again though and try and get everyone to have max health so they can soak all the damage and not be 1 shotted.
  • JoelStinty 8 Mar 2018 10:18:34 6,533 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    I've also realised I've asked that question wrongly. It's obviously the blades that define a characters role in combat. I didn't see him being much of a tank with his standard blade. I found Rex was attracting more attention. It's still early days I suppose.
    There is a tutorial on this that you many not have got to yet.

Basically the enemy will target the character that is doing the big damage (which is shown through a red ring around one of your party members and named aggro) - but you can equip some accessories that will decrease or increase aggro. So with Rex whom i use as an attacker, i put a decrease aggro accessory, and on my tank i got increase aggro.

Hope that helps.

But yeah i've gone the atk/hlr/tnk route too, now i could really do with some overdrive (?) crystal so i can swap some of my blades around :|
  • JoelStinty 8 Mar 2018 10:21:10 6,533 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tait0 wrote:
    e Infant Ardun in Gormot at the farm, and tried him out but he just owns my tank else?
    I accidentally killed him at the start of the game. I couldn't work out how to start the quest or something and i accidentally targeted him and killed him :|
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Mar 2018 10:28:17 4,621 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I wasted my only overdrive crystal already, not realising it was an item, let alone a rare one! /o\

Cheers for the aggro tip. I understand how that all works, but I didn't think to use accessories to influence these things. As it stands, I think Tora is still proving to be the better tank. As soon as Vandham is in the party things seem to wobble and Nia just can't keep on top of healing everyone.

Its given me a good opportunity to play as all 4 characters though, and understand how they should be fighting.
  • Tait0 8 Mar 2018 10:42:30 37 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah just get rid of Vandham, hes a DPS, I believe when he joins it auto removes Tora, so just make sure you swap him back in straight away again instead of Vandham, or if you want to keep him as a DPS swap out Rex with him instead. Otherwise you will just get owned and there is a pretty tough boss coming up that requires the right party composition. Also there is a pretty cool core crystal that drops from the boss, so don't give it to Nia as its an attacker/dps rare blade
  • JoelStinty 8 Mar 2018 20:30:18 6,533 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After a mid game lull Iím really enjoying this again now. I just kind of accepted itís flaws and broke that barrier where I just play it now (if that makes sense) . Iím not wrestling with it anymore.

Iíve started playing it exclusively handheld now too and I donít know whether that is one of the main reasons Iím enjoying it a lot more.

At the start of chapter 8 and story is picking up. The end of chapter, start of chapter cut scene are fantastic. The animation is second to none.

Edited by JoelStinty at 20:30:39 08-03-2018
  • Deleted user 8 March 2018 22:52:26
    Iím in chapter 8 too. Level 64, maxed merc, all dev done, clearing up quests and doing affinity. The tree can wait.

140 hours so far
  • Mola_Ram 9 Mar 2018 00:08:46 17,940 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The biggest hurdle for the merc missions for me was that stupid test of strength thing you need to do to get to level 3 (or 4, I forget). The enemies were way too tough in a fair fight (even when I was around the same level), so I decided to cheese it just to be able to continue doing the missions.
  • Deleted user 9 March 2018 05:34:48
    @ecu I just kept sending people out all the time. Got all places to level 5 using cylinders so I had all the missions, but mostly is was always sending the beat hugger and another bunch out as soon as they returned.

Couldnít do test of strength for ages either, but kept doing the missions as they count to the next level while I got stronger.

Iím still doing the missions for affinity and to get deeds.
  • Tait0 12 Mar 2018 12:25:59 37 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I killed all the superbosses this weekend without having to tinker with too much stuff, they were all pretty easy and were basically try and get as many orbs up as quick as possible and then do the whole burst thing. I then spent a bit of time trying to farm legendary cores but hardly any were dropping so I kind of gave up.

I don't think I can be bothered to try and get the last 3 blades unless they unnerf the drop rates of the cores, and if I start a new game + then I wont have any chance of getting the new blades either as you only get given a couple of legendary cores as you play through the main game. I kind of feel like I have been cheated a bit by coming to the game later as I don't have the ability to farm any kind of drop as well as people could pre patch, bah!

So I carried on my game of Stardew Valley...
  • Deleted user 12 March 2018 12:38:21
    I finished this yesterday morning (2.30 in the morning). Really didn't like the last couple of Worlds at all. I was glad to see the back of it, but now sort of wish there was more to the story so i could play it some more. As it is, I'm going to leave Rex and the gang in leftheria and move on to the next game.
  • Zero_g 12 Mar 2018 13:46:20 260 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iím still tinkering with the game getting all rare blades to S+ and still a number of super bosses I havenít attempted.

No sure that I liked the ending much.

Major spoilers
    why do both Pyra and Mythra appear together???
    Surely only Pneuma should have appeared?
  • Tait0 12 Mar 2018 15:00:14 37 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got Mythra and Herald to S+ mainly by having them attached when increasing other blades trust to S, and that was a boring enough. I can't imagine trying to do all 30 odd blades to S+, your a masochist! I get maybe why you would do the DPS but I don't believe their is any need to do the tank and healer blades?

You sound like you could definitely go kill all the superbosses easy enough though if I could do it already and I had only just finished the game.

I too didnt really understand that ending where the yboth appeared, had they separated then or something? Was it in his mind? I dunno lol, not going to dwell on it too much!
  • DakeyrasUK 12 Mar 2018 15:23:22 1,674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zero_g wrote:
    Iím still tinkering with the game getting all rare blades to S+ and still a number of super bosses I havenít attempted.

No sure that I liked the ending much.

Major spoilers
    why do both Pyra and Mythra appear together???
    Surely only Pneuma should have appeared?

Major spoilers too!

My question was do they have memory? Thegame spent the whole story looking at what effect does memory have on what it means to live and be human. But then at the end Rex resonates with the core crystal and back they come looking as if they know exactly who they are looking at.
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Mar 2018 23:52:35 4,621 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I got my first rare blade last night from a common core crystal with Nia. Would I be right in thinking you can have multiple versions of the same rare blades, with different elemental strengths?
  • Mola_Ram 13 Mar 2018 00:11:33 17,940 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    I got my first rare blade last night from a common core crystal with Nia. Would I be right in thinking you can have multiple versions of the same rare blades, with different elemental strengths?
    If by "rare" you mean a blade with unique artwork, voice acting, etc... then no, you can only have one of each rare blade. They're always the same.
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Mar 2018 00:32:09 4,621 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ah. Ok. That's interesting. Cheers for responses. I'm still trying to determine what these boosters actually do. Given the number of common blades I've got, I assumed they influenced elemental types. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Mar 2018 00:51:13 17,940 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From what I understand, they increase the chance of you getting a blade of the relevant elemental type. Doesn't make it a sure bet, though (eg. there's only one light element blade you can get from opening cores, afaik, so using a justice booster mostly helps with the dark element).
  • Duffking 13 Mar 2018 09:01:09 15,576 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204208-xenoblade-chronicles-2/76340715

In depth explanation of drop chance.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.