Following Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Page 56

• Armoured_Bear 15 Oct 2018 11:07:18 25,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Sure. If it's not working out, you can always recall Roc from whatever merc missing he/she is on.
    Sorry for the daft questions but there's not much point having him with Rex as he's a tank so until I have another tank driver in the party, I should just use him for mercy missions?
    What about the standard blades I have, best to jettison the weaker ones?
  • ghearoid 15 Oct 2018 11:16:30 3,169 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear
    I thought Roc was an ATK blade. Anyway, I kept him on Rex always because he was needed as part of the break/topple/launch/smash combo.

The game gives you more rare blades either as part of the story, side quests or exploration so you'll have enough blades for the whole team.

Also, a rare blade can pop out from a common core too, especially this early in the game.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Oct 2018 11:20:40 19,080 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    What about the standard blades I have, best to jettison the weaker ones?
    No, not necessarily (at least, not until you run out of room). Generic blades are great for completing merc missions - that's what you'll be using them for most of the time.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Oct 2018 11:20:42 25,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Should I use all my rare crystals now, any reason to wait?
  • Load_2.0 15 Oct 2018 11:37:58 28,413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Use them all the time almost as soon as you get them, you collect hundreds of them by the time you finish, opening becomes a chore.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Oct 2018 11:46:20 25,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks guys.
    See if I can manage some combos tonight
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Oct 2018 22:29:20 25,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm on Chapter 5 now and loving its, the combat system has mostly clicked now and I love the story, characters and voice acting.
    Cracking stuff.
  • Ror 24 Oct 2018 23:11:29 18,022 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does really pick up in chapter 5, after a fourth chapter that feels like filler.

I'm partway into 6 myself. Should really play this more often, I started it at release :D
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Nov 2018 11:00:51 25,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm on Chapter 6 now and it's simply brilliant.
    However, I'm a bit frustrated having quite a few rare blades bonded with the "wrong" driver, such as Kora with Zeke (Healer with Attack Driver).
    I know there's an overdrive thingy to switch to a different driver but I think I stupidly used what I had early on (idiot game explains fuck all of course). Is there anything that can be done?

Also, I usually play with Rex and Nia and switch between Tora and MorŚg.
    Now that I have Zeke who is an attack driver, I'd have to use him instead of Rex, is that right?
  • Mola_Ram 5 Nov 2018 11:08:25 19,080 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't worry about it too much. Tora and Rex eventually get pretty flexible, so you don't have to worry about screwing yourself with blades bonded to the wrong drivers and such.

But do try to keep the overdrive cores you find. They're not terribly easy to get (but you will get more).
  • Singularity 5 Nov 2018 11:16:46 2,987 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, you do get some overdrives - and if you get the DLC you get a bunch, IIRC.

I wouldn't worry too much about having everyone with the 'right' types of blades. I didn't do much more than choose by element type, and I completed it.
  • ghearoid 5 Nov 2018 13:45:42 3,169 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I had the "wrong" blades bonded with my drivers but it made bugger all difference. I still managed to finish the game.

You also get an extra overdrive if you let go of a fully maxed four star common blade.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Nov 2018 13:59:26 25,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers guys , now Iím tempted to order the DLC :)
  • Duffking 5 Nov 2018 15:02:51 15,949 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also if you release a rare blade they just go back in the pool to get pulled again, late game I swapped a few around this way.

The DLC gives you a bunch of overdrives btw.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Nov 2018 15:16:50 25,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    Also if you release a rare blade they just go back in the pool to get pulled again, late game I swapped a few around this way.

The DLC gives you a bunch of overdrives btw.
    OK, so if I can end up with a shitload of rare core crystals, I can release it, bump up the luck of whichever driver and bond away to do it?
  • Duffking 5 Nov 2018 16:09:54 15,949 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pretty much. Releasing Rare Blades just makes it as if you never pulled it in the first place meaning you can spam cores with another character to try and get them on them instead. I don't recommend doing it until reasonably late game though.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Nov 2018 16:15:47 25,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    Pretty much. Releasing Rare Blades just makes it as if you never pulled it in the first place meaning you can spam cores with another character to try and get them on them instead. I don't recommend doing it until reasonably late game though.
    Cheers.
    How good is the DLC btw?
  • Zero_g 7 Nov 2018 15:55:51 308 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear
    Some additional quests and bits. A couple of extra rare blades; some gated behind ng+
    I got the dlc as part of the torna expansion but having loved the base game and sunk 200+ hours into it (including ~50 trying to pull kos-mos) Iíve not really gotten back into it properly yet, or actually started the torna expansion. Donít know if I want to start ng+ for the other missing rare blades either

Edited by Zero_g at 15:56:19 07-11-2018
  • Ror 18 Dec 2018 22:43:13 18,022 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Almost a year after I started it, I'm finally at the final chapter. Kind of wish I hadn't taken so many breaks from it during my playthrough, but it's a very dense game with so many systems, some of which could probably be excised entirely.

Still, despite all that, it's great.
  • Mola_Ram 19 Dec 2018 05:00:14 19,080 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I did (spent ages playing the game then stopped at the final chapter). Made it a little tricky coming back, as there's a lot of stuff I'd forgotten, but I was powerful enough to finish it.

I started the DLC, but then Diablo 3 came out. :(
  • DakeyrasUK 19 Dec 2018 07:11:22 2,179 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shame this game was released in December last year. I put 140 hrs in to it over 100 of which were this year.

Deffo my favourite game of the past year, but unable to vote it as such... (I went for spiderman, god of war, diablo 3, red dead 2 and smash bros).
  • Jubs95 20 Dec 2018 21:07:49 131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally finished this game today and all I can say is wow. What a fantastic game. It definitely took me a while to get stuck into but I'm so glad I did.

Once the game clicks it becomes such a joy to play.
  • THFourteen 20 Dec 2018 21:08:41 50,591 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    Shame this game was released in December last year. I put 140 hrs in to it over 100 of which were this year.

Deffo my favourite game of the past year, but unable to vote it as such... (I went for spiderman, god of war, diablo 3, red dead 2 and smash bros).
    Same here.

Looking forward to playing the DLC soon
  • DangerousDave_87 20 Dec 2018 22:50:14 5,434 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Same again. I didn't start it until just after Christmas last year, so it's been a 2018 game for me. I loved every minute of it, but have held off the DLC out of fear I'd have little time to play anything else.
  • DakeyrasUK 20 Dec 2018 22:56:29 2,179 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @THFourteen yeah I keep thinking about the dlc...

Usually I skip dlc as their is so much to be playing. But for this special game (as with witcher 3) I should make the time!
  • Ror 20 Dec 2018 23:53:44 18,022 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I must be right at the end now:

Had a good chat with Klaus and now heading after Malos.

I think I'll finish it tomorrow. The broad strokes of the background story are basically what I was expecting, but that's no discredit to the game - I've been absolutely loving it this last week, after resolving to finally finish it. And there's a little bit of info late on that has made me wonder if it couldn't be a way for Monolith Soft to revisit this universe at some point in the future.

I bought Torna at launch, as I wanted to make sure I got a physical copy. I have 16 hours of travel coming up in April, so that'll get me through, I think.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Dec 2018 01:06:13 19,080 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was good to get some kind of connection to the first xenoblade chronicles, even if it made the endings for both games a bit too similar to each other.
  • gamecat 21 Dec 2018 08:09:59 809 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm now pretty much done with ng+, collecting the final few blades, finishing affinity trees and the like, I'll then move on to the challenge mode stuff. It's become my Saturday morning/ afternoon veg out on the sofa game, one my faves of the last year.

Edited by gamecat at 08:11:18 21-12-2018
  • Ror 21 Dec 2018 14:55:34 18,022 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aaaand, done.

What a ride. A solitary tear ran down my cheek :')
    Is it weird that I want a sequel (or an epilogue), even though it ended really nicely?

I'll definitely be doing an NG+ run at some point, though not for a while - I want to let it sit for a spell.

I think I'll spend a couple of hours tomorrow finally looking through the art book that came with the Limited edition.
  • ghearoid 21 Dec 2018 15:27:28 3,169 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I really recommend the Torna expansion, it tweaks the combat just a little but it makes it even more fun.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.