Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Page 58

• DangerousDave_87 12 Jan 2019 16:17:56 6,093 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    One RPG at a time! I've made the mistake of juggling them, but ones always gets abandoned forever and fatigue tens to set in for the 2nd one, spoiling the experience somewhat.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jan 2019 20:07:49 10,841 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iíve sacked off both this and octopath. Mainly because Iíve not had my switch on really for months. I did rather enjoy this but itís possibly a bit much to get back into the swing of.
  • THFourteen 28 Jan 2019 12:24:24 52,209 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm not sure i like Torna as much as i like the main game.

It's good but not great. Don't like (but understand why) the blades are all chosen for you either.

Edited by THFourteen at 12:24:34 28-01-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Jan 2019 13:19:31 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Iíve sacked off both this and octopath. Mainly because Iíve not had my switch on really for months. I did rather enjoy this but itís possibly a bit much to get back into the swing of.
    Easy peasy , I recently restarted from scratch and am loving it
  • DangerousDave_87 28 Jan 2019 20:10:54 6,093 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @THFourteen I think part of what makes the base game so great is all the flexibility you have with building your own team of characters and blades. With the unlocking of blades you're constantly encouraged to mix things up, which keeps the combat feeling fresh throughout.
  • Zero_g 29 Jan 2019 21:27:11 313 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @THFourteen
    Iím inclined to agree, I found combat quite restricted when compared with that in the base game.
  • THFourteen 1 Feb 2019 13:13:00 52,209 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm about 20 hours into Torna now and my overall feeling is one of ...meh.

Issues i have with it

1) The music isn't as good to the extent that i dont even bother with headphones or volume most of the time.

2) Too much of the dialogue is un-voiced, and its like they didn't bother to make cutscenes for scenes that they should have, and did in the base game. Takes away the immersion and characters

3) Fucking community raising - game forcing you to do endless fetch quests with no interesting story or goal to the mission - biggest gripe so far

4) Not being able to change blades (altho i see now that you can change their element which was unexplained to me by the game).

5) Blade combo system not as good as last time where it told you what you need

6) Driver combo system also not as good as last time as you have to switch characters all the time which is effing annoying

I guess i have to remember it was DLC and not an expansion, but still...

Edited by THFourteen at 13:14:10 01-02-2019
  • Ror 1 Feb 2019 13:28:52 18,559 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I'm about 20 hours into Torna now and my overall feeling is one of ...meh-meh-meh!
  • THFourteen 1 Feb 2019 16:37:47 52,209 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    I'm about 20 hours into Torna now and my overall feeling is one of ...meh-meh-meh!
    Ha. Actually that plays into the other thing which is i dont particularly like the characters either. Addam is alright but the others are meh(not-meh-meh-meh just meh.)

And no heropon.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Feb 2019 17:55:41 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm on Chapter 7 now which has been quite a shitty slog but I did like the reveal of Nia's secret :)
  • Ror 4 Feb 2019 18:52:15 18,559 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found that, once you're past the halfway point, it just keeps getting better and better.

Reminds me, I must get back to my playthrough of the Wii game.

EDIT Also, I'm heading back to Japan in April (fingers crossed...). I think I'm going to make a point of seeking out Xenoblade merchandise :)

Edited by Ror at 18:54:13 04-02-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Mar 2019 11:45:10 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm on the final chapter now, I think I'll spend a wee bit of time deciding on and levelling up my favourite blades before ploughing on.

At the moment I like
    Zenobia
    Praxis
    Kassandra
    Ursula

From the DLC I have shitloads to upgrade Poppi but not sure how yet.
  • gamecat 20 Mar 2019 13:03:20 854 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Upgrading Ursula is tedious AF.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Mar 2019 13:06:04 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gamecat wrote:
    Upgrading Ursula is tedious AF.
    Yep, I only have her at Level 3, might dump her.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Apr 2019 22:41:56 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I finished this the other day, here are my thoughts (from Completed Games thread) :

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

+ Fun but complex and deep battle system
    + Amazing soundtrack
    + Beautiful world
    + Decent story with likeable characters
    + Fantastic localisation, very charming and funny
    + Blade/Driver system and discovery was awesome

+/- Utterly huge, hundreds of hours of gameplay

- Complexities very poorly explained
    - Technically poor with unstable framerate and dynamic resolution dropping extremely low
    - Some dull quests
    - Some bugs, I couldn't complete a quest because of one.

Amazing, memorable game and a joy to play despite it's flaws. I can't wait for their next game.

9/10

I couldn't help but start the Torna DLC and I was immediately struck by the fact that the visuals seem significantly better than in the main game.
    Is it just me?
  • Mola_Ram 15 Apr 2019 00:32:33 20,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No it's not you, the visuals are very much better in the DLC. The developer team clearly had a bit more time to get to grips with the hardware. The original game still looked great of course, but it was rushed to release.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Apr 2019 07:34:24 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    No it's not you, the visuals are very much better in the DLC. The developer team clearly had a bit more time to get to grips with the hardware. The original game still looked great of course, but it was rushed to release.
    Cool, makes their next game much more promising .
  • DangerousDave_87 15 Apr 2019 08:21:44 6,093 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Seeing what they did with Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U, I've never doubted them, technically.
  • Load_2.0 15 Apr 2019 08:32:12 29,505 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought Chronicles X was stunning.

The alien jungle was so much fun to explore.

Chronicles was fine on the Switch. Personally I found the battles really boring. Once you had your squad/tactics sorted it was a case of repeating the same thing over and over as you wore down the huge HP.

And the rest involved far too many fetch quests for objects of various colours.

Liked a lot about it too but wouldn't rush to buy another.
  • Murbs 3 Jul 2019 09:36:42 24,282 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Restarted this recently and beyond the point I'd originally got to. Which isn't far - only 10 or so hours in.

Really don't know how I feel about it. Combat is so poorly explained and chaotic, and I hate the characters and voice acting. Only thing remotely keeping me interested is the world itself and the exploration aspects.

Tempted to sell and put the money towards Mario Maker, but part of me thinks I still haven't given it a fair shot...

Edited by Murbs at 09:37:06 03-07-2019
  • Mola_Ram 3 Jul 2019 09:47:20 20,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All I can say is that the combat really does "click" eventually. I agree that the game has a few too many systems, and does a pretty bad job of explaining them, but it does eventually make sense.

I'd give it until the end of Chapter 3. I'd call that a fair shot.
  • THFourteen 3 Jul 2019 10:17:30 52,209 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you hate the characters and the voice acting i would stop playing now.

They are the best part of the game.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Jul 2019 13:04:59 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    If you hate the characters and the voice acting i would stop playing now.

They are the best part of the game.
    This, the combat gets much better later and is a blast but if you hate the characters and voice acting then it'll be a long 100 hours.
  • Ror 3 Jul 2019 13:34:36 18,559 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Murbs I'd honestly suggest just looking up explanations of the battle system online. It's actually pretty straightforward (and fun to play with once you understand it), but the game does an incredibly poor job of explaining it to the player (and does so in one-off in-battle tutorials that you can never revisit).

I will say that the characters and story were the best part for me, so if you're not enjoying those aspects, you might be better off stopping. But I will also say that I felt like it really started ramping up after ch4, and it sure did go some places. I started off a bit mixed on it and ended up loving it.
  • Murbs 3 Jul 2019 14:11:18 24,282 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hmm. Iíll watch some combat videos and perhaps a couple from later in the story to see how I feel about continuing. I just despise Rex (and those ridiculous trouser things he wears) and Tora; the others Iíve met to date arenít so bad.
  • Ror 3 Jul 2019 14:17:21 18,559 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nia is the best damn character in the game, to be fair.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Jul 2019 14:20:23 20,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like Tora, even though he's a little creep. Agreed, Nia is the best, though she wasn't in my final team.
  • RichDC 3 Jul 2019 14:20:59 8,354 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh!

Really must go back and complete this at some point. I've done the thing I do with all jrpgs and get right to the end, decide to do all the side quests before doing the last bosses, but get distracted and drop it.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Jul 2019 14:23:01 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I like Nia too. I hated Zeke at first but ended up finding him pretty funny.
  • Rusty_M 3 Jul 2019 19:32:36 6,960 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Honestly, Ror, you're such a child sometimes.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.