Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Page 13

• neems 4 Dec 2017 12:54:49 3,690 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I honestly forgot there was auto-run, so thank you for reminding me :)
  • Rusty_M 4 Dec 2017 13:59:25 6,813 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of my best moments came from salvaging. My salvage attempt spawned some bird a couple of levels above my party. It was going OK, but I was working for it. Then his named friend joined the fray and it got pretty tough. In that battle, part of the combo system clicked a bit better.
  • ghearoid 4 Dec 2017 15:27:45 2,927 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I'm in chapter three and the longer battles are allowing the combos to really click. Pyra and Rex are doing some bitchin' special moves along with Gorg. Love it.
  • Ror 4 Dec 2017 18:06:40 17,354 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Amazon have dispatched my limited edition.

Phew.
  • ChiefGB 4 Dec 2017 19:15:29 8,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In retrospect the limited edition seems like fairer value. A steelbook, a rather substantial looking art book and a cd of the apparently awesome music. I couldn't afford it but I'm sure it will be glorious.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 Dec 2017 19:57:49 2,982 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Amazon have dispatched my limited edition.

Phew.
    Cool. Mine still hasn't been very mobile but it os dispatched so that is what matters.

The artbook is what won it for me (and the discounted price on Amazon otherwise I would have done without). Once it arrives I will have to leave the thread until whenever I actually buy a Switch to play it.
  • ChiefGB 4 Dec 2017 20:44:28 8,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lol, you don't even have a switch yet, oh my.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Dec 2017 20:47:25 17,566 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm at the end of Chapter 2. Apart from the game being a little system-heavy for my liking (especially when you can't review tutorials afaik), I am very much enjoying it! Even in handheld mode. :p
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 Dec 2017 22:01:34 2,982 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Lol, you don't even have a switch yet, oh my.
    I do have a habit of occasionally buying games before I get the machine (I recall Gradius 3 and 4 being oneI got years before I got a PS2 as it might have had a low run and I got both GC and Xbox before my first PS2... I still have a couple of NGPC games and never did get around to getting the machine (Faselei was one of them...). At 80 quid I was resisting this one but the 62.99 on Amazon tempted me so...

Knowing my luck this will be one of the common easy to get LEs next year but I haven't seen any in the wild so maybe not. Normal editions like Mario Odyssey can wait. Shin Megami Tensei V could be my purchase time (or a proper Fire Emblem). Having a WiiU already made most early stuff redundant like Zelda and MK. Arms and Splatoon don't really appeal either although Rabbids looks surprisingly decent.
  • Ror 4 Dec 2017 22:15:16 17,354 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The art book does look really good, and I'm so glad it's full-size. So many game LE art books are DVD case sized, including the XCX one.

I do have a bit of an art book addiction...
  • chibikage89 5 Dec 2017 05:11:06 7 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Is any big youtubers gonna be playing this game for their channel.
  • THFourteen 5 Dec 2017 07:24:27 47,875 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fat ones?
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Dec 2017 08:55:47 2,287 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @Mola_Ram if you press the left up or right d pad button it brings up a tutorial(ish)
  • chrisno21 5 Dec 2017 10:30:00 1,978 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there a way to look at a map of a region without having to go through multiple menus, that include all maps, if I want to look at a map it is almost always going to be for the area I am in...

Other than that, and the ridiculous clothing/chests of the female characters, I am thoroughly enjoying it. I have not progressed far, I am now saving Nia on a ship but have somehow spent 10 great hours that felt like no time at all.
  • neems 5 Dec 2017 10:34:50 3,690 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Clicking the left stick makes the mini map full screen; alternatively press Y to open the fast travel menu (sounds like that may be what you are doing already).
  • technotica 5 Dec 2017 11:48:25 596 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can you switch (no pun intended) between which character you want to play or is it one main character with npc companions?
  • ghearoid 5 Dec 2017 12:04:01 2,927 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @technoticgo go the main menu, select characters, then there's a switch order option on the bottom right.
  • Daryoon 5 Dec 2017 16:45:00 5,916 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Once the battle system clicks, it really clicks. It's almost hypnotic. I can understand a lot of the complaints, though, and those about "damage sponge enemies": if you don't take full advantage of the systems offered, it'll be a completely different experience.

In a way, it reminds me of the mixed reactions to Vagrant Story. So many people tried to play that as a straight action game and gave up when they couldn't deal more than 1hp damage to anything because they hadn't engaged with the game's (slightly obscure) systems.
  • DangerousDave_87 5 Dec 2017 17:01:38 4,132 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd recommend anybody who is unsure about the combat in this game starts with the Wii original first. That one explains the basics of combat quite nicely and the combat in that one is generally quite simple compared to X and 2. If you're new to the series at this point, you probably feel like you're having to much information thrown at you, what with the Blade system and all.

Honestly, besides exploring the open environments, the combat is what makes these games so appealing. If you push to understand it's intricacies, it's a beautiful system that keeps you on your toes and makes things so much more interesting than picking options out of a menu.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 17:01:50 05-12-2017
  • Gaol 5 Dec 2017 18:00:44 3,326 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm new and found it bit overwhelming in terms of info - I'd recommend looking up a few youtube videos, that's what helped me. It's not that bad, it's just explained poorly via one off messages - a sub menu explaining the systems would have been useful.

My only issue atm is how unlucky I've been acquiring rare blades - one so far, and it's a massive blimp of a character that is a healer and it's connected to my main attacker. Hopefully I get some better luck in the coming days.

My other main complaint is the map. You can access it via a quick travel button but then have to navigate to the local map every time. Be much better if it simply defaulted to the one you are currently traversing. An odd oversight and a patch would be welcome.

Overall though I'm really enjoying it. There was a rumour on gamefaqs of a Xenosaga HD collection - I'd really like to see that on Switch. Apparently there is an announcement on 15th December.
  • neems 5 Dec 2017 19:20:55 3,690 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At my (fairly early?) point in the game - recently arrived in Uraya - I am actively looking for opponents with lots of health, as it's hard to try out different combos when the enemies keep dying too soon.

I think my biggest hit so far is somewhere in the region of 50k.
  • Duffking 5 Dec 2017 19:33:09 15,328 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The combat is pretty incredible when you've got a full stock of 9 blades going. So much going on.
  • GloatingSwine 5 Dec 2017 19:33:40 3,713 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    My only issue atm is how unlucky I've been acquiring rare blades - one so far, and it's a massive blimp of a character that is a healer and it's connected to my main attacker. Hopefully I get some better luck in the coming days.
    Yeah, they seem pretty rare, though core crystals aren't all that hard to come by since AFAIK any enemy can drop them. I reckon it's probably a p. useful thing to have a number of different roles available to each character though.

I only have one rare at the moment (Vale).

I just want Nia to stop getting yet more healers given that she already has Dromarch. She has a generic weak ass earth spear goon, but not a special.
  • Duffking 5 Dec 2017 19:37:07 15,328 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you've found an overdrive core you can use that to switch which character its attached to.

There's a few guaranteed rare blades you can find as you progress through the game, I have 4 so far at the end of chapter 4.

FWIW you probably want Nia to be pure healer because the AI is terrible at switching to the right blade for the right situation, other than continuing a combo. If she switches off a healer, she's terrible at switching back to healer.

Ideally she's 2 healer 1 attacker for the aggro lowering class effect.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Dec 2017 19:53:31 2,982 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I seem to recall getting healing to work was very hit and miss in XC X...
  • Wavey 5 Dec 2017 20:33:04 806 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I;m really trying to enjoy this but something just isn't clicking. Its a shame because I love the original so much. The battle system confuses me and the dialogue in battle annoys me. Not sure if i'll carry on.
  • Dazimus 5 Dec 2017 22:07:26 793 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I'm just under 4 hours in and it's not quite grabbed me anywhere near what Chronicles did on the 3DS. Something doesn't feel right.
  • Ror 5 Dec 2017 22:16:38 17,354 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I saw someone saying there were independent sliders for battle dialogue etc. Can you turn all that stuff off?

EDIT Oh yeah, and my collectors edition turned up today \o/ Won't be playing it just yet though.

Edited by Ror at 22:17:06 05-12-2017
  • Daryoon 5 Dec 2017 23:58:14 5,916 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wavey wrote:
    I;m really trying to enjoy this but something just isn't clicking. Its a shame because I love the original so much. The battle system confuses me and the dialogue in battle annoys me. Not sure if i'll carry on.
    Dazimus wrote:
    Yeah, I'm just under 4 hours in and it's not quite grabbed me anywhere near what Chronicles did on the 3DS. Something doesn't feel right.
    It takes a little longer to get going than the previous games. Probably best to focus solely on story missions until you get to chapter three, at which point you'll have a full party. The story itself doesn't really get going until later that chapter.
  • Gaol 6 Dec 2017 01:23:50 3,326 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well the combat started really getting a lot better tonight after some 17 hours, more blades, more moves and party combos. I also got a much nicer rare healer for Nia. I recommend sticking with it through the teens, as the combat options take a while to unfold.

I also recommend buying sweets from the sweet shop if you want combat to move faster :)

@Ror You can turn the battle dialogue off, though I don't mind it much and find it helps when a lot of stuff starts happening at once, particularly the additional enemy notice.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.