Following Ghost of Tsushima Page 57

• Frogofdoom 31 Aug 2020 22:24:45 16,891 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is definitely some jank, I had moments where he would float about in the air when switching floor levels. Also some annoying bits with windows (all games like this are shitty with that it seems).
  • JamboWayOh 31 Aug 2020 22:27:26 20,750 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If it has jank then assassins creed as it is now is pretty janky as they both seem on par. When I think jank, I think Bethesda and they deliver IN SPADES.
  • Frogofdoom 31 Aug 2020 22:30:14 16,891 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would call assassins creed janky as well but it doesn't stop me enjoying that series either.
  • wuntyate 31 Aug 2020 23:29:08 15,303 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't really noticed any jank and I'm nearly finished it. FWIW I thought a lot of the AC games were incredibly janky. This isn't though. The odd issue perhaps if I got stuck in a silly place trying to do something silly and Jin would be a bit silly but apart from that... Can't say I've seen any. Jank that is. Not much jank.
  • Phattso 31 Aug 2020 23:39:25 25,766 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    I would call assassins creed janky as well but it doesn't stop me enjoying that series either.
    Same here. Itís the AA production values that stand out vs. AssCreed. Theyíre each janky in their own way.

The combat camera in this, especially in close quarters, is one of the worst Iíve seen too. Much better in the open.

Addictive as hell though. Just the right number of RPG style systems for me. Probably prefer AssCreed over the long haul, but the setting is doing a lot for me in Tsushima.
  • Rodderz 31 Aug 2020 23:41:19 4,227 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    I haven't really noticed any jank and I'm nearly finished it. FWIW I thought a lot of the AC games were incredibly janky. This isn't though. The odd issue perhaps if I got stuck in a silly place trying to do something silly and Jin would be a bit silly but apart from that... Can't say I've seen any. Jank that is. Not much jank.
    If Decks had had his way, we'd have been seeing a lot more more junk than jank in those pictures of his.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Sep 2020 06:56:13 26,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think it's janky at all compared to pretty much every other open world game.

Finished it last night anyway. Started to drag a bit towards the end and could of used some tightening up but all in all one of my favourite games of this gen. Hopefully the coop stuff is as good.
  • Frogofdoom 1 Sep 2020 06:57:44 16,891 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still don't get ubisofts reluctance to set an AC title in Japan. It has always seemed the obvious choice for a setting, although I'm looking forward to vikings.
  • Phattso 1 Sep 2020 07:48:35 25,766 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I don't think it's janky at all compared to pretty much every other open world game.
    It hasnít hit my enjoyment much, but for example:

- Golden birds spend more time trying to fly through buildings and rocks than they do soaring majestically
    - Jin loves to face the cocksucker *behind* the camera a lot, rather than the one behind *him* with the fucking great spear
    - The game delights in putting two things with R2 contextual control right next to each other
    - Jin does a lot of warping when triggering some animations (those they even bothered to make, more fades to black than a LotR movie ending)
    - Invisible barriers on cliffs...
    - ...that you descend via identical dinner plates the intern stapled to the mountain side.
    - Low rent animations for most of the people in the world...
    - ...all three of them. And theyíre all called Peasant. Itís like conversing with a fortune telling machine at the fair.
    - Iím 20hrs in and the hats have all been shit

Perhaps ďjankĒ is wrong as my primary takeaway, despite it having a lot of that, but itís the AA nature that was a bit of a shock as a generation ending showpiece. Nowt wrong with a B list dev, Iím an Obsidian fanboy for example, but as Iím on an end of gen marathon of games I missed out on it was a bit jarring to see this ďhomageĒ to all the other open world era as the capstone.

As I say, capable of moment of immense beauty and Iím having a good time with it. But setting aside, itís all very very familiar and often a weak cover version of much better songs. Greater than the sum of its parts, thatís for sure.

Edited by Phattso at 07:49:27 01-09-2020

Edited by Phattso at 07:55:25 01-09-2020
  • HarryPalmer 1 Sep 2020 08:01:03 6,166 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I would agree with all of that. The quality of the missions drop significantly in act two as well. A bit too bloated and too many missions following the Ďshort-pointless cutscene - follow character - another cutscene - press R2 - cutscene - fightí template.

I think the last of us 2 is the end of gen showcase, but this is more enjoyable imo.
  • Psiloc 1 Sep 2020 12:40:10 5,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    It hasnít hit my enjoyment much, but for example:

- Golden birds spend more time trying to fly through buildings and rocks than they do soaring majestically
    - Jin loves to face the cocksucker *behind* the camera a lot, rather than the one behind *him* with the fucking great spear
    - The game delights in putting two things with R2 contextual control right next to each other
    - Jin does a lot of warping when triggering some animations (those they even bothered to make, more fades to black than a LotR movie ending)
    - Invisible barriers on cliffs...
    - ...that you descend via identical dinner plates the intern stapled to the mountain side.
    - Low rent animations for most of the people in the world...
    - ...all three of them. And theyíre all called Peasant. Itís like conversing with a fortune telling machine at the fair.
    - Iím 20hrs in and the hats have all been shit

Perhaps ďjankĒ is wrong as my primary takeaway, despite it having a lot of that, but itís the AA nature that was a bit of a shock as a generation ending showpiece. Nowt wrong with a B list dev, Iím an Obsidian fanboy for example, but as Iím on an end of gen marathon of games I missed out on it was a bit jarring to see this ďhomageĒ to all the other open world era as the capstone.

As I say, capable of moment of immense beauty and Iím having a good time with it. But setting aside, itís all very very familiar and often a weak cover version of much better songs. Greater than the sum of its parts, thatís for sure.

Edited by Phattso at 07:49:27 01-09-2020
    This is one of those games where I agree with all of that but would still give it a pretty glowing recommendation. It just clicked. Agree with whoever said it had just the right amount of RPG mechanics; the pace of progression was perfect for me (whereas Ass Creed gets this VERY wrong for my taste).

"Greater than the sum of its parts" is spot on.
  • Psiloc 1 Sep 2020 12:42:34 5,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Very doable Platinum trophy by the way, for anyone interested in that sort of thing. It's the very first open world platinum I've ever got if I'm not mistaken.
  • cov 1 Sep 2020 13:10:37 2,331 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mmm some truth to that list tho only registered as minor niggles if at all - but easily one of the least janky games i have played, though i play a lot of AA. I like the lack of lock on for enemies but can see it may annoy others. One with a lot of overall polish and definitely a AAA game for me.

And i love the hats.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Sep 2020 13:58:14 26,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't think of any open world game that doesn't have similar levels of "jank" to be honest.
  • HarryPalmer 1 Sep 2020 15:27:01 6,166 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Some games manage to mask the repetitiveness a bit better.
  • wuntyate 1 Sep 2020 15:45:22 15,303 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As open world games go I think only Witcher 3 surpasses this. I don't have much further to go and, although I've needed a few breaks, it's not dipped for me at all. It's easily one of the most polished games of its ilk I've played.
  • HarryPalmer 1 Sep 2020 15:52:04 6,166 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think Red Dead 2, GTA V, Witcher 3, maybe BotW are the top and this is only a bit behind them, which is some going considering it probably had a fraction of the budget. Iím enjoying it immensely and it beats every assassins creed game hands down. It is just a bit too repetitive and does have some flaws which I put down to it bring a AA game.

Its a strong 8, maybe a 9 (Iím not done yet). No EG recommendation is very odd, but not read the review yet.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 15:52:46 01-09-2020
  • Bichii 1 Sep 2020 15:56:57 3,466 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can't wait to play it. Likely borrowing it off a friend soon and I've been on nothing but sekiro for about three weeks now so it will be nice to stay in Japan and get to play fancy dress.
  • spookyxelectric 1 Sep 2020 16:38:26 149 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I dropped off at Act II. A few hours into it, and it all felt very much the same. Same as every other game I've played this generation, and even same as the last bit of gameplay from 10 minutes ago. It's a prettier but far duller Assassin's Creed, IMO. The story is dull, the characters are bland, the camera is the worst, the gameplay is repetitive. The world and scenery are gorgeous, though.
  • wuntyate 2 Sep 2020 15:30:06 15,303 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I finished this before work this morning. Loved the shit out of it but - like most open world jobbies - it's just too big for me. Had to have a couple of breaks.

For the ending I killed Shimura for no other reason than he killed my fucking horse, and I wanted the white ghost armour (I saw a screenshot of it so looked up where it was and managed to spoil this final confrontation for myself. Which was nice.) so it was a no-brainer.

But yeah. Fucking good.
  • quadfather 4 Sep 2020 17:20:25 36,915 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've not been on for a while but had a few hours today. I can't be arsed with doing all of act q1 so progressed the main quest. I'm half way through castle kaneda. Have been doing well, but now it's a break for band practice and then beer. So I will fuck it up later but it'll be a laugh
  • wuntyate 4 Sep 2020 22:56:49 15,303 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather It's a big game so it's good to push on so you don't get bored.

Any more bass purchases?
  • Carlo 4 Sep 2020 23:47:40 21,382 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Act 3 now.

Loving it. A great way to end this generation's console.
  • quadfather 5 Sep 2020 10:48:04 36,915 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @quadfather It's a big game so it's good to push on so you don't get bored.

Any more bass purchases?
    Yeah I'm glad I'm moving it along now.

Hah, no, had to get rid of a few in fact, to make it all more manageable! Down to the fenders now
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Sep 2020 16:02:34 26,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Actually played more than an hour today...2.5 hours no less and had a ball. Anyway unlocked the Ghost mode, that is awesome!

I concentrated on getting through Act II. I'm at the last bit , having met all the prerequisite missions in the chapter.
    I have only liberated about 5 areas/outposts though. I think there is 18 areas to liberate in act II? certainly a lot more than 5. The map is still Ubiful of ?

On act 1 I did everything but I want to try and push on. Had the game since release and there is a busy few months of games coming out!
  • Switch-v85 9 Sep 2020 09:50:35 4,059 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wuntyate It's back.
  • wuntyate 9 Sep 2020 10:19:54 15,303 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Switch-v85 Nice. It's moreso for when the new patch drops, in case anyone fancies doing some co-op.
  • Phattso 14 Sep 2020 14:31:58 25,766 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Made good headway into Act III now. Seems like the QA fell off a cliff as the jank is getting worse as I go on (the end of mission animations are now completely borked, making Jin do something very disagreeable to the horse :-D ).

I finished Act I with something like 14/24 camps liberated. Raced through Act II with 5/18 liberated, after deciding to jettison the side content for a bit. I think I'm only a few missions from finishing the story, so I might just cream on with that to tick the box.

Story-wise I think Act II did really well. Ratcheted up the set pieces (such as they are) and the (melo)drama and the general Samurai hijinks. Really dug that. Hoping for a twist at the end, but don't really mind either way. A romance plot line with Sensei Ishikawa or something. He can finger my bowstring any time he likes, RIGHT BOYS?

Anyways. Haven't really changed my opinion on this one, but I can at least say that it sits above Horizon: Zero Dawn in the pantheon of also-ran open worlders. Looking forward to finishing it am glad to have played it. If they doubled the budget I'd come back for a sequel for sure.

Edited by Phattso at 14:33:02 14-09-2020
  • Frogofdoom 14 Sep 2020 14:34:04 16,891 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Act 3 is pretty short, you can smash through it in a fraction of the time that it takes to do the other 2. Also the ending is excellent, I think you will enjoy it.
  • Phattso 14 Sep 2020 14:36:23 25,766 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Excellent, I'll look forward to that then. I do have a slight compulsion to go back and finish *some* of the side content. The camps at least, that's always my favourite bit of these games anyways. Possibly the main character Tales as well - boring missions, but I like the characters.

Foxes and hats can do one though. Life's too short. :D

Someone said it was a doable Platinum, but I'm on something like 43% and I'm closing in on the finale. I do have maxed out blade, bows, and a couple of armour sets... but probably nine or ten techniques still locked away.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.