Following Ghost of Tsushima Page 60

• Bichii 8 Oct 2020 09:13:34 3,596 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think I'm getting quite close to the end. Pretty bored of the missions now, mostly are extremely similar. Luckily I still love the combat and I am actually enjoying the story and I like all the main characters.

The world, while beautiful is a bit dead. I think the game would have been far better with a Witcher 2 type structure. The open world does very little to improve the experience.

Still a solid 8 at the moment and who ever was in charge of how bloody cool it looks deserves praise.

Edited by Bichii at 09:14:04 08-10-2020
  • creepiest-lizard 8 Oct 2020 10:21:56 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I think a very good eight is where I ended up with it.
  • Decks 8 Oct 2020 10:32:35 26,870 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It was a 9 or 10 for me but the last area lets it down a bit and I was kind of sick of it by the end. Looking forward to the coop stuff though.
  • creepiest-lizard 8 Oct 2020 10:35:59 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Decks
    I think I made the mistake of doing almost everything there was to do as the world was so beautiful. Ended up burning myself out a bit. Not really the games fault as such though.
  • Decks 8 Oct 2020 10:37:43 26,870 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nah it kind of is. There was too much busy work to do.
  • wuntyate 8 Oct 2020 10:40:32 15,468 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah there was too much to do and, to be honest, it was just too damn big. If it was maybe just the two acts with maybe two (multiple quest) side tales and a few shrines etc it would have been so much better. Why games feel the need to be so sprawling and choc full of stuff these days I don't know. Anything becomes boring after a while and I'd much rather it was shorter and left me feeling like I wanted more, than I was glad for it to be over.

I just hate that feeling of opening up a map and seeing all those icons you feel you need to do. Brings me out in a sweat. It's why I had to stop playing it halfway through for a break. Too overwhelmed by side missions, quastion marks, fox dens, blah blah blah.

Still fucking brilliant though.

Edited by wuntyate at 10:42:09 08-10-2020
  • creepiest-lizard 8 Oct 2020 10:42:46 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't thre icon stuff was too bad. I played Ass Creed Unity for the first time recently and fucking hell. As soon as you first open the map, Bam! Thousands of icons everywhere. It's exhausting to just look at. I can't even face turning it on again.
  • Phattso 8 Oct 2020 11:01:11 25,939 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    The world, while beautiful is a bit dead. I think the game would have been far better with a Witcher 2 type structure. The open world does very little to improve the experience.
    I thought that too, actually it's a fairly common theme. A better modern example might be the new Tomb Raiders. Decent sized areas with transitions between them.

Make that change, remove 100% of the side quests that aren't Mythic or with the main cast (and/or roll the few realy good ones into Mythics) and this would immediately be twice as good for me.

There's bound to be a sequel, so let's see what they come up with!
  • robc84 8 Oct 2020 11:19:18 14,719 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Yeah there was too much to do and, to be honest, it was just too damn big. If it was maybe just the two acts with maybe two (multiple quest) side tales and a few shrines etc it would have been so much better. Why games feel the need to be so sprawling and choc full of stuff these days I don't know. Anything becomes boring after a while and I'd much rather it was shorter and left me feeling like I wanted more, than I was glad for it to be over.

I just hate that feeling of opening up a map and seeing all those icons you feel you need to do. Brings me out in a sweat. It's why I had to stop playing it halfway through for a break. Too overwhelmed by side missions, quastion marks, fox dens, blah blah blah.

Still fucking brilliant though.
    I'm probably about half way through Act 2 and feel the same. It's good fun, but too long and the map too big. The mission structure is pretty much, "Go here, kill some monguls" for every mission. Luckily the combat is great which carries it through and the named side stories are interesting. I'd actually be quite happy if I was nearing the end right now, but I know I'm not.

Solid 8 for me so far as despite all that, it is fun to play and looks amazing.
  • wuntyate 8 Oct 2020 11:41:13 15,468 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @robc84 Yeah that's the thing, the core gameplay is decent, but it's bound to run out of steam before the end as there's just too much game there.

it's why I prefer Souls games first and foremost really. There's a structure there, and a point to each part of the map, that just isn't there in open world games. The reason to explore in souls-likes is because you just don't know what you might find. The exploration in open world games like these is a trick. You're not exploring. You're ticking things off a list.
  • Bichii 8 Oct 2020 13:24:17 3,596 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    All done. I liked the ending which for me is rare. Looking at the map, I'd say almost 50% of Tsushima is still fog and I'm very glad I didn't explore it. The game was big enough at 50%!

Without grinding or looking for level up items I had more than enough to upgrade what I wanted to near max or max. Unlocked the vast majority of the ability trees as well.

Great cast of characters and many of the characters stories weren't as straight forward as usual in gaming. The antagonist was quality as well.

Great game and it probably ended just in time.
  • spookyxelectric 9 Oct 2020 17:41:43 197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I went back and finished Act 2 last night. It had a much stronger story than the first act, so I'm into it again. Also the Ghost Mode or whatever it's called... that meter you build that gives you three one-hit kills. That's really satisfying to do.

Christ, the map in this game is huge though.
  • Dombat 9 Oct 2020 18:19:03 1,797 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah this is a pretty meaty game if you get drawn into the optional content. I got the game at launch and didnít expect to be playing the game still in October.

Enjoying it though, I was starting to get a little bored but thereís a fantastic main questline in Act 2 which drew me back in.
  • Switch-v85 9 Oct 2020 21:45:34 4,097 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    https://twitter.com/suckerpunchprod/status/1314638689616629762?s=21

60fps on PS5
  • spookyxelectric 11 Oct 2020 16:13:51 197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I finished it off last night! Thankfully Act 3's much shorter than the previous acts, but I still spent the entire day clearing off the map, ooooyyyyyy.

It was pretty good. I think Act 2 was the strongest act narratively. As for the open world, it's all beautiful, but I was over traversing it by the end of Act 1.

My complaints about the combat, camera and mostly uninteresting cast still stand though. Jin got progressively better, and Yuna and Lady Masako were the more interesting NPCs.

Solid 7.5 overall IMO.
  • Bichii 11 Oct 2020 16:40:06 3,596 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Combat? Best open world combat ever.
    Supporting characters were also better than pretty much everything outside of cd red and rockstar.
  • spookyxelectric 11 Oct 2020 16:49:00 197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Every battle was the same. Mash triangle until you break their guard, then press square a couple of times until they died. Or, if you wanted to mix it up, throw a kunai or sticky bomb to break their guards, then press square twice to kill. The stances are just there to break the guard faster, but functionally all four act the same way.

And apart from Yuna and Lady Masako, I found it hard to want to want to help my allies. Sensei Ishikawa in particular was tough to relate to.

At the end of the day, it's a lesser Assassin's Creed Origins IMO. The second act was strong enough to shoot my overall score an entire point higher, TBH.
  • Bichii 11 Oct 2020 16:51:14 3,596 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What difficulty were you on? I preferred to parry 90% of everything that came at me and definitely didn't just need to mash triangle then mash square to win. I definitely would have died a lot if I did that.
  • spookyxelectric 11 Oct 2020 17:01:31 197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Normal/default. Yeah, I parried as well, but adding one additional element doesn't change the fact that the combat was extremely simple.

The camera is also the worst I've experienced since the PS1 days, too. That isn't even hyperbole. It's always zoomed in on Jin, which is fine when you're facing like three enemies, but when it's a camp of Mongols, you have guys hitting you from off camera, archers pinging you with arrows. The lack of Z-trigger lock on is pretty inexcusable for this type of game.
  • JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2020 17:03:28 21,097 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you think that's the worst camera, you obviously haven't played Ninja Gaiden 2 on the 360.
  • Bichii 11 Oct 2020 17:12:13 3,596 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Or any from software boss fight
  • JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2020 17:13:54 21,097 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, they're still a million times better than the camera in that game.
  • Bichii 11 Oct 2020 17:16:32 3,596 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can't remember 2. I definitely beat 1 on the 360. I'm still scarred from the fight in the church against a pinkish boss? You fight it again later but it is easy then.

Edit..Alma! Total utter bitch.

Edited by Bichii at 17:25:28 11-10-2020
  • JoelStinty 13 Oct 2020 20:38:32 9,025 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally got platinum on this just now. Itís quite amazing how much of the map was left unused. Kind of makes me think we will see some story dlc at some point. Not bad going though, plugging away at it for three months. Fair amount of podcasts listened to along the way. Fair number of people have gone on to platinum it, currently at 13.1% on the trophy list.

Edited by JoelStinty at 20:39:22 13-10-2020
  • DakeyrasUK 16 Oct 2020 06:44:59 4,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just been given this as a gift.

Do I wait for ps5 when I will have cyberpunk and miles morales or try and fit it in with its lower frame rate on my pro, before next month?

Did just start 13 sentinels and have mario games on the go.
  • Carlo 16 Oct 2020 18:14:21 21,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Update is live guys.

For the multiplayer new features.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/ghost_of_tsushima_patch_1_1_out_now_on_ps4_adds_legends_co-op_new_game_plus_and_much_more
  • JoelStinty 16 Oct 2020 20:07:05 9,025 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    Just been given this as a gift.

Do I wait for ps5 when I will have cyberpunk and miles morales or try and fit it in with its lower frame rate on my pro, before next month?

Did just start 13 sentinels and have mario games on the go.
    It runs pretty great as it is on the base PS4. If you got other games on the go perhaps leave it be for a while but if you want to play it I don't think there'll be a massive difference in your experience.
  • Decks 16 Oct 2020 20:57:18 26,870 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The coop seems fantastic so far. Not sure why they didn't charge for it, seems like there's a lot to it.
  • Phattso 16 Oct 2020 21:05:34 25,939 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    The coop seems fantastic so far. Not sure why they didn't charge for it, seems like there's a lot to it.
    Felt to me like a feature they just couldnít get done for launch. Not like you can just patch co-op in that quickly if it wasnít designed in?

But yeah, I guess there are a few firms that would happily charge nonetheless.
  • Decks 16 Oct 2020 22:46:07 26,870 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Horde mode is fantastic.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.