Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 59

• LittleSparra 12 Feb 2018 11:27:49 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @LittleSparra

I meant that the UI doesn't compare well to more modern games. It works but there are so many clicks. All I want is a good transport game with a decent UI and easily routed tracks and roads.
    Oh yeah, fair enough. SO many clicks :D
  • crashVoodoo 12 Feb 2018 11:32:19 5,763 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    1 PURCHASE: BROKEN THE DUCK, BUT ON PAR

crashVoodoo
    Wow the shame and to top it off it was for a game I'm struggling to get into as well...

/Hangs head
  • Rodderz 12 Feb 2018 12:06:43 2,983 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So having pulled out of my Kingdom Come pre-order, I'm back to a bit fat ZERO bought this year. I don't even know what else is on the near horizon that is of interest, possibly Vampyr by Dontnod but that isn't until June!

I'm sure there might be something in a PSN sale before then that might tempt me; Prey was only £13 couple of weeks ago but I held off, so might look at that if it pops up again.

I think for me this is shaping up to be a backlog clearance time for the first half of this year, which might not be a bad thing as the games I have unplayed are all big titles that I have yet to start. I finished an initial play-through of Hitman last night which was a decent game and a nice palate cleanser after a couple of months immersed in the excellent Pillars. Next up I will be starting the new Doom this evening as its been a while since I played an FPS.
  • Phattso 12 Feb 2018 12:12:45 23,069 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oooh, the new Doom! Give it a few hours. I found the opening very 'meh' but then when I realised the disconnect between my expectations and what the game was, it became one of my favourite shooters ever. I even flirted with the idea of double-dipping on the Switch version with only the cost nixing the idea.

On the backlog front, I'm not clearing as much as I'd hoped/expected. But what I *am* achieving is my mission to really love the games I'm playing. A fully 2D old-skool dungeon romp is hoovering up my time on the Switch, when I have a fairly monstrous PC and a PS4 sitting largely idle. I've left my inner graphics whore behind, and embraced the younger version of me that got lost in the games.

Long may it continue!
  • monkman76 12 Feb 2018 12:36:38 12,658 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also though, don't pack Hitman in just yet. That really opens up once you start exploring each location thoroughly. You could spend 10-15 hours in Sapienza alone!
  • Phattso 12 Feb 2018 12:44:12 23,069 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I spent 9 hours on just the opening two missions, and one of those is a literal tutorial. I'm only four or five hits in myself, it's one of the many titles near the top of the backlog vying for my attention this year.

It really is an amazing game.
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Feb 2018 13:05:23 39,451 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, Hitman is absolutely astonishing, both this latest one and Blood Money.

Just imagine for a second if Assassin's Creed didn't have a million items to collect and other fluff, but Hitman-style assassinations. Just imagine that. The extent of the wasted opportunity is unfathomable. It's like gazing at the stars at night.

Edited by UncleLou at 13:07:15 12-02-2018
  • Phattso 12 Feb 2018 13:09:55 23,069 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, it's astonishing how nobody at Ubisoft has attempted to correct that one fairly glaring issue with the series. I'd even take just a fraction of the play area, but with a nicely intertwined story of intrigue and assassination where you learn the place intimately and actually get to do some Hitman style shennanigans.

But no. It's a B-Movie adventure feature with parkour. I mean, I love it, but oh boy should it have been more.
  • Bichii 12 Feb 2018 13:10:11 550 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I've purchased four games in under three weeks..this is going badly.
  • Phattso 12 Feb 2018 13:10:49 23,069 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I haven't added you to the front page. Didn't seem any point. :)
  • LittleSparra 12 Feb 2018 13:15:20 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The above has always been the bit that has puzzled me about Assassin's Creed. It's just not very interesting as a game of... assassins.
  • erniewhatbert 12 Feb 2018 13:18:28 2,865 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I only got to Marrakech in Hitman, the level after Sapienza IIRC, before my short attention span dragged me elsewhere. Brilliant game up to that point though.

Just now, I'm still trundling through my first playthrough of Skyrim on Switch, 1/3 of the way into the main quest. While I sometimes wish I was playing through BOTW again, Skyrim has grown on me and I'm glad to have given it the time it demands - the key thing for me is I would never have had the patience to get beyond the first five hours had I not had this challenge as motivation.

I'm planning Oxenfree from the Steam backlog as a wee break from it, at this rate I'll not have to buy anything in some time.

Edited by erniewhatbert at 13:22:03 12-02-2018
  • Bichii 12 Feb 2018 13:20:12 550 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @Phattso :)

Probably for the best but I really did want to cut back this year. Oh well.
  • Derblington 12 Feb 2018 13:32:01 30,765 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've bought 3 games this year and finished 4 (though one of those is SotC and I will play it at least once more), with 2 others being played.

I'm not really in love with anything though, yet, just kinda clearing some backlog.

Edited by Derblington at 13:34:27 12-02-2018
  • rice_sandwich 12 Feb 2018 18:57:15 4,265 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm on 3!

I have just bought Transport Fever. I almost bought it at the weekend but held off and have been rewarded with a £10 saving. I did my due diligence with this game, read reviews and watched gameplay videos on youtube so I hope I'm not disappointed.

Does anyone else find youtube play through folks quite annoying? They say things like "Oh, look. It's a cat! Awesome!" and make all sorts of other annoying observations in an entirely too excited manner for my liking.
  • LittleSparra 12 Feb 2018 19:03:49 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yes. Most I see are irritating as fuck.
  • Dombat 12 Feb 2018 19:11:42 1,279 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Yeah, it's astonishing how nobody at Ubisoft has attempted to correct that one fairly glaring issue with the series. I'd even take just a fraction of the play area, but with a nicely intertwined story of intrigue and assassination where you learn the place intimately and actually get to do some Hitman style shennanigans.

But no. It's a B-Movie adventure feature with parkour. I mean, I love it, but oh boy should it have been more.
    This. I commend Ubisoft for at least trying to reinvent the series but they've done it in completely the wrong way to what would appeal to me.
  • Plant 12 Feb 2018 19:41:18 355 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've finished two games in the past fortnight, uncharted lost legacy and zelda. (without collecting the memories.)
    Ive got doom, fallout 4 and prey to get through next. Any recommendations?
    I'll do one of those then get the Mario game.

Edited by Plant at 19:43:01 12-02-2018
  • Skirlasvoud 12 Feb 2018 19:55:47 3,672 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

Good call. I went with Railway Empire instead and now that you've mentioned Transport Fever, I do miss car/boat/plane. Railway Empire has also been made with Console in mind, so the controller scheme on K+M is bugging the hell out of me. Should've gone with fever.

As for Youtubers:

Depends on the Youtubers. Newbies and the ones that spread out across several genres tend to get excitable and tend to magnify every detail because they're afraid of losing their audience.

If you go with the ones who are properly vested into simulation or city-building games, they tend to be more dry and to the point. They're more secure in what they do and they tend to trust their audience to be interested in what they're doing anyway.

EnterElysium and Katherine of Sky are some of the ones I trust to just deliver me the goods when it comes to simulation games, but without hype.

ParadoxExtra are also doing a good series on "Surviving Mars" right now. Can't wait for that to come out!

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 19:56:37 12-02-2018
  • Rodderz 12 Feb 2018 20:22:38 2,983 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Yeah, Hitman is absolutely astonishing, both this latest one and Blood Money.

Just imagine for a second if Assassin's Creed didn't have a million items to collect and other fluff, but Hitman-style assassinations. Just imagine that. The extent of the wasted opportunity is unfathomable. It's like gazing at the stars at night.
    It's almost like you read my mind UncleLou :) It's the same niggling feeling I've always had regarding AC games, in that the assassination part was never really that great in comparison to the creative Hitman games and their openness and variety in how you can take out a target.

Hitman games also have a great ability to make a confined map seem so much bigger than it actually is, no need for a huge openworld but instead a tight and hugely detailed environment. I've got AC:Syndicate on the backlog, so that's on the list to be played sometime soon and I hope it's decent.

As some of you mention above, I'll definitely be going back to Hitman at some point as I'm yet to do the Sarajevo 6 missions! Thinking about it, the Hitman games are up there as one of my favourite game series, having played pretty much all of them from the first entry on PC and all credit to IO for the latest game as the level designs are just superb. I think my favourite level was Bangkok as it brought back fond memories of the hotel level in Hitman:Codename 47, albeit on a much grander scale, followed by the beautiful sun-kissed environment of Sapienza.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Feb 2018 20:25:59 4,265 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Skirlasvoud

I'll see how I go with it. I've just completed the tutorial and the basic game seems to be easy enough once you get your head around which buttons to press. I like the idea of a wider transport network rather than just trains. There are also lots of mods available which is always nice to see and should improve things slightly.
  • blimeyguvnor87 13 Feb 2018 10:54:33 390 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've somehow stayed strong and am still on 0. There hasn't been too much released that has really made me want to grab it immediately and I've resisted a few offers in the sales of games I'd like to give a try.

I have completed 3 games from my backlog though and have even gone back to a few older titles to finish levels I'd left or to nab some achievements/trophies.

I think Far Cry 5 will be my first, and if I can make it until then and only have 1 to my name, I'll be happy with that.
  • Murbs 13 Feb 2018 11:10:20 23,885 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still on zero. Until Friday that is when Bayonetta turns up and whatever else I get for my birthday... We are over 10% into the year though so not too bad ;-)

Not going to buy dragon quest builders on switch though, I'm now playing through the Vita version I bought when it first came out. Also started Prey last night which was the last game I bought in 2017. Enjoying that, but as I'm now tending to do, playing on easy.

Edited by Murbs at 11:11:34 13-02-2018
  • Deleted user 13 February 2018 13:18:53
    Bichii wrote:
    I've purchased four games in under three weeks..this is going badly.
    Pffft. I buy that many daily.
  • OnlyJoeKing 13 Feb 2018 20:48:07 543 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    All this talk of supersamping convinced me to finally put the old PS4 on ebay and order a Pro. Needed a new controller anyway to play Diablo 3 with the other half, so it felt like the right time. So now I'm one of those twats with a 4k console but only a 1080p telly. Sigh.

In my defence it's white, and looks lovely. So shiny.

Not a game though, so ha! Still on 2 for the year. On topic, I've been playing the shite out of Subnautica. 28 hours so far. Just starting to perhaps lose the sheen, have got the maximum depth upgrade for the mini sub and I've seen most of the ocean I think. But what a game, I've really gorged on every last drop I could get from it. If I get half as much from every other game I buy this year I'll be delighted.

Felt a strong urge to get Puyo Puyo Tetris for the Switch recently, but the thread helped me resist. All hail the thread!
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Feb 2018 21:37:27 39,451 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing Hope you made sure you got the new Pro model, CUH-7116, which is said to be much less noisy (and which I can confirm insofar as mine is pretty quiet).

Oh, and there are a lot of improvements for 1080p users. Shadow of the Colossus at 60fps, GT Sport is downsampled and looks particularly gorgeous, Monster Hunter runs better, etc.

Edited by UncleLou at 21:38:44 13-02-2018
  • OnlyJoeKing 13 Feb 2018 21:51:45 543 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @UncleLou ah, cheers but I'm not sure about the model, don't think it says. I doubt I've got the new one tbh. Went for this one: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382275028220

I've never been bothered by the noise of the original, and I'm rocking a reference air Vega 64 in my PC so would probably be OK! Are there any other downsides?

It's the 60 fps modes in a few new games that swung it for me really. The supersampling was just the final straw!
  • Derblington 13 Feb 2018 21:53:32 30,765 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itíll tell you the model number on the box.
  • OnlyJoeKing 13 Feb 2018 21:54:58 543 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Derblington cheers, only just stuck the order in. Will check. Probably too late to be arsed to do anything by the time it's here!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.