Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 70

• Armoured_Bear 2 Mar 2018 16:56:04 22,625 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    Having seen Nier is half price in the steam sale I did my research and decided ultimately to play it on the PS4 Pro. It's a nailed on purchase this year, but..... still playing Nioh, sooo..... hnnnghh... must resist.

Gagging to buy it though. But I can't be on 4 at the start of March.

Thread power.
    I just did the same research and it seems like PC all the way...
  • OnlyJoeKing 2 Mar 2018 17:06:41 593 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear why so?

To me it looked like the hassle of tidying up the shoddy port wouldn't be worth the enhancements. There seemed to be a fair few issues, most of which can be cleared up with mods and tweaking, but not enough extra visual boosts to be worth the hassle.

Still 60fps max, for example. Cutscene issues. Only moderate gains for a good GPU. And I'd have to piss about setting up for ultrawide, too.

So I figured having plug & play easiness on my telly was the way to go for this one. Plus I've got a PS4 Pro now so would have full 1080p and some of the extra niceties, e.g. per object motion blur and all that stuff.

Be interested in your thoughts though. Is it that much better on PC?
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Mar 2018 18:15:31 39,525 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nier is a terrible, terrible port, worst I've seen in years. Even with mods I can't get it to run properly in 16:10. It also runs like dogshit while looking like a PS2 game. :p
  • Phattso 2 Mar 2018 18:49:05 23,314 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    Sure, but number of hours matters when a game only reveals itself over time. The World of Warcraft example is a good one: the vast majority of people that got properly into that would tell your hat the game started at level 60, not ended. :)
    I disgaree with that, the game was an explorer's dream, in particular in the first few months/years before there was en extensive guide for everhting. After 60, it was a dull, repetitive grind. Good if you enjoyed the social aspects, but not neecesasarily as a game. Funnily enough, many people agreed with me 5 or 10 years later.
    I was that explorer. I pretty much soloíd the game. As soon as I had a level 60 that was basically a banker for the alts I rolled of different classes so I could experience all the areas but this time loaded with cash.

And yeah the guild stuff was awesome and I enjoyed running ever harder dungeons. If you did one character to 60 then, respectfully, you experienced a tiny fraction of that game and world.

Which is cool. You play what you want to the extent you want to. But itís why itís a great example here, imho.

Iím some 35 hours until Darkest Dungeon and o donít feel like Iíve scratched the surface. At least double that Iíd hope. Then on to Pillars 2 for a few hundred hours. :)
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Mar 2018 18:50:29 22,625 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear why so?

To me it looked like the hassle of tidying up the shoddy port wouldn't be worth the enhancements. There seemed to be a fair few issues, most of which can be cleared up with mods and tweaking, but not enough extra visual boosts to be worth the hassle.

Still 60fps max, for example. Cutscene issues. Only moderate gains for a good GPU. And I'd have to piss about setting up for ultrawide, too.

So I figured having plug & play easiness on my telly was the way to go for this one. Plus I've got a PS4 Pro now so would have full 1080p and some of the extra niceties, e.g. per object motion blur and all that stuff.

Be interested in your thoughts though. Is it that much better on PC?
    I havenít bought it yet but Iím this thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/nier-automata-50-off-on-steam.26639/ everyone insisted on pc.
  • OnlyJoeKing 2 Mar 2018 23:41:23 593 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have looked through a few pages, and it's mixed opinions. Some adamant that the PS4 version is the one to get to save hassle.

You do get the occasional PC zealot, I wonder if they account for the 'PC is best no matter what' views. Think I'll go PS4, save the hassle of mods for another day. Doesn't seem worth it in this instance.
  • dominalien 3 Mar 2018 06:06:40 8,575 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My stats: 0 purchases, 4 completes. Yay me! \o/

My wishlists are growing all the time. Soon I'll be at some 100 games across Steam, GOG and PSN. I will die controller in hand, trying to get through one of these.
  • blimeyguvnor87 3 Mar 2018 11:48:14 405 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iím still on 0, with Assassinís Creed, Wildlands, IDARB, Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishments and COD MW Remastered finished. So 0 for 5, happy with that. Iím still getting through Crash which I see as a long term game rather than finishing in a couple of weeks - my dip in game.

I started RIME last night finally! Which was a real diamond, so Iím hoping to finish that over the next week.

I have just shown the other half Mario Odyssey on the Switch, so it looks like my first purchase may be a Switch with a few games - hero to zero style bail out - but weíll see how long I can put that off. Even though an impending long flight in a couple of weeks combined with the thought of Zelda or Skyrim is tempting me even more.
  • macmurphy 3 Mar 2018 12:17:07 3,100 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @blimeyguvnor87

I think if the duckís getting rogered, you could do worse than Odyssey and Zelda.
  • killersrquiet 3 Mar 2018 12:47:44 3,184 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Picked up Dirt 4 and Observer last night, I got to March without buying any new games, I can live with that.
  • ghearoid 3 Mar 2018 13:28:05 2,998 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @blimeyguvnor87 a Switch with Mario & Zelda doesn't count though.

I mean, that's like breathing. :)
  • blimeyguvnor87 4 Mar 2018 10:33:46 405 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ghearoid I was thinking this, I believe console purchases donít count, but how about the bundled games?

I think itís worthwhile for a 10 hour flight, each way!
  • blimeyguvnor87 4 Mar 2018 10:34:14 405 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @macmurphy definitely - going out (of 0) in style!
  • blimeyguvnor87 5 Mar 2018 10:16:52 405 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

I gave in yesterday and grabbed a Switch, which came with Odyssey and Zelda... and then I decided to grab Stardew Valley as I never gave it all the attention it deserved when I grabbed it in a sale on the PS4 before.

I'm not sure how people are counting the console (and bundled games) but I'm somewhere between 1 and 4.

To be fair, those three games should see me through the next 3 months fairly easily, so I'm not to upset. Backed-up by the Xbox/PS4 backlog, I should be all dandy until 2027 maybe.

If it's only games, I'm guessing the Pro Controller I'm about to pick-up doesn't count either.

Also, after checking out the estore I can see me bailing out of 10 in 12 in spectacular fashion in the coming weeks.
  • Derblington 5 Mar 2018 10:32:37 30,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gratz, it's a great console and you've pick some amazing games. Look into Rabbids and Mariokart too, and the bayo games if they're your thing.
  • Derblington 5 Mar 2018 10:32:50 30,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also, I bought Crackdown yesterday.
  • blimeyguvnor87 5 Mar 2018 10:43:53 405 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Derblington Thanks buddy - Bayo isn't really my main thing but I may pick it up down the line if there's a sale or if I'm stuck with nothing much to play.

I did have MK8 before (I owned a Switch at launch and then got rid when we moved house), so I'm not too fussed on it yet, may grab it in a sale or on the Swapsie thread at some point. Rabbids is high on my wishlist, so will probably have that next month some point!
  • kosigan 5 Mar 2018 16:10:04 649 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not bought anything more yet (until Friday next week...), but I have finished NFS Payback and got the Platinum trophy. About 60 hours in total and absolutely nothing spent in MTs as I refuse to buy "consumables" in any game.

Might have to go back to NFS Most Wanted (2012) for a little while.

By the way, what's the situation regarding buying a game on multiple platforms? Is each one counted as a separate 1 of our 10?
  • DangerousDave_87 5 Mar 2018 16:30:37 4,669 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm still on zero, but I think I know what my fittest two purchases of the year are going to be now. The variety pack for Nintendo Labo in April and Dark Souls in May. Both entirely new experiences for me so they should be good choices.

I'm going to hold off double dipping on both Dragon Quest Builders and Donkey Kong for now. I'm not exactly desperate for things to play at the minute. I have only competed one game in the backlog this year! :/
  • DangerousDave_87 5 Mar 2018 16:31:53 4,669 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kosigan wrote:By the way, what's the situation regarding buying a game on multiple platforms? Is each one counted as a separate 1 of our 10?
    I'd regard it as one purchase. Just one particularly expensive purchase. You're technically paying double for the same thing.
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Mar 2018 16:48:13 13,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having now seen the MHW credits I am on:

Bought 2
    Completed 6

So backlog has been reduced by 4. (With no new titles added).
  • Murbs 5 Mar 2018 17:47:56 23,903 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I played and finished Ratchet and Clack when it came out after borrowing from a colleague. If I were download from ps+ to grab a few extra trophies does that count as 1?

Also, sold MHW. Just wasn't working for me. Bought Switch DQ Builders instead. That's definitely another 1.
  • Derblington 5 Mar 2018 18:04:37 30,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nah, R&C would be backlog.
  • Rodderz 6 Mar 2018 14:58:43 3,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still on zero bought in 2018 here. I finished AC:Syndicate over the weekend and hoovered up a couple of trophies that were close to popping last night before deleting from the hdd, so that's two games finished that I started this year and two I'd started near the end of last year.

I had a delve into the list of shame again last night to see what was still unplayed and the next game I have decided to start is... /drumroll... Nioh!

I have seen Nioh mentioned in this and other threads quite a few times by those who've played it and those hoping to play it and it certainly gets a lot of love from you lot ;). From what I've played so far (I had played the Alpha and Beta in 2016/17 before it was released) it seems pretty damn good, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds!
  • GarlVinland 6 Mar 2018 15:44:26 3,193 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rodderz wrote:
    I had a delve into the list of shame again last night to see what was still unplayed and the next game I have decided to start is... /drumroll... Nioh!
    My GotY 2017! :)

I'm waiting on someone to make Into the Breach one of their 10 and convince me to buy it (I'm way over 10 already, I don't belong in this thread).
  • JoelStinty 6 Mar 2018 16:10:18 6,584 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I completed Oxenfree the other night, was tempted to buy a new game, but gone back to Xenoblade 2 and thankfully i got a second wind with it. Which is handy. So still two games brought this year.

Next week might be tough though, i got an exhibition all week and there is going to be a lot of sitting around during the day doing nothing. Either gonna switch it or read a book. Or mix it up.
  • OnlyJoeKing 6 Mar 2018 16:59:11 593 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rodderz

Nioh's bloody fantastic, I love it. Playing it all the time atm. I did bounce off hard though once or twice, it's hard in sections.

Would recommend playing round with all the weapons (I'm loving the dual swords atm), and the skills you can learn can make a huge difference. (an aside - the passive skills are always active, active skills are specific to that weapon)

You can respec relatively cheaply (though it looks like this gets more pricy the more you do it) so no need to agonise too much over stats at first. And even though I have like 30 points in skill for the dual swords, things like the spear (10 points in body) still do decent damage atm, so no huge stress choosing weapon at first.

Plus you get LOADS of loot, don't sweat over it too much. Though that's a hit hypocritical, I've got like 400 items and choosing which to let go of to free space is a bit of a headache.

Anyway I digress, it's ace. Ace I tells ya!
  • OnlyJoeKing 6 Mar 2018 17:00:56 593 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @GarlVinland how did you deal with the ever-swelling inventory, Garl?
  • JoelStinty 6 Mar 2018 18:37:28 6,584 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 you played any of the other souls games? I wish I could play dark souls for the first time again.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.