Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 71

• UncleLou Moderator 7 Mar 2018 09:18:46 39,678 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Finished SotC last night. What a game. It might just be the prettiest game I've ever played. Not only the artstyle, but it's a technical marvel as well. Just wow.

That means I've finished Wolfenstein 2, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted LL and SoTC this year, I think. Possibly Rime? Could have been the end of last year.

Still a net loss with 6 purchases and 4 games finished, mind...
  • DangerousDave_87 7 Mar 2018 09:44:43 4,950 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    @DangerousDave_87 you played any of the other souls games? I wish I could play dark souls for the first time again.
    No. This will be my first time. I put the series off as A whole until I could complete the original trilogy of Castlevania games (with no save states). Having now understood how impossible a task that was, combined with the series coming to the Switch, I felt I'd run out of excuses.

I still continue to chip away at the Castlevania games, though.
  • THFourteen 7 Mar 2018 11:19:41 49,301 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I AM OFF THE MARK

Sullied myself with a purchase from GAME.co.uk no less. Dragon Quest Builders (Switch) incoming, plus a £15 eshop voucher which i am thinking about buying Steamworld heist with which would then put me on 2.

Off skiing for 4 days next week and quite fancied taking the Switch with me instead of the 3DS.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Mar 2018 14:23:14 4,780 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Has anyone gotten any benefit out of buying fewer games so far?

I've stopped browsing games in eshops and am paying less attention to release news etc. I've not really saved any money as I've shifted spending to other hobbies and interests. I do feel I've made slight inroads into spending less time on gaming just for the sake of it or out of habit. I have a lot more to do in terms of shifting my interests away from gaming and moving towards other things in the longer term.
  • Skirlasvoud 7 Mar 2018 14:27:57 4,023 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @THFourteen

I can vouch for Steamworld Heist being a quality game, but it is a bit short. It might not hold you over for very long.

I myself am only buying games with staying power right now.

rice_sandwich wrote:
    I'm a jittery mess who really looks forward to the releases I've chosen to fill my 10 slots with. I browse forums instead of playing games.

That said, I've made excellent inroads into my backlog. I've finished Wolfenstein The New Order and World of Goo recently. I think I appreciated them more because I'm starving myself of gaming experiences.

I've also saved quite a bit of money.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 14:30:50 07-03-2018
  • GarlVinland 7 Mar 2018 14:33:24 3,447 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    @GarlVinland how did you deal with the ever-swelling inventory, Garl?
    I didn't really sweat the loot system on my first playthrough, because everything is outclassed within about 5mins of the next mission. So I just picked the highest level item and scrapped the rest.

From NG+ onwards, everything becomes about gear sets and their bonuses, single pieces become worthless so are instantly scrapped. As is everything else that isn't of a set that I was after.

Basically I got very acquainted with the sets I wanted and only looked out for those, and 'scrap all' dealt with the rest. :)
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Mar 2018 15:09:26 23,240 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:

I've stopped browsing games in eshops and am paying less attention to release news etc. I've not really saved any money as I've shifted spending to other hobbies and interests. I do feel I've made slight inroads into spending less time on gaming just for the sake of it or out of habit. I have a lot more to do in terms of shifting my interests away from gaming and moving towards other things in the longer term.
    Not too sure, I have saved some money certainly, but I have bought a new "gaming chair" and xbox1 pad.

I do tend to play one game at a time, I'm knee deep in AC Follow The Camel at the mo,had hoped to complete before FC5, but that is not going to happen. FC5 will be first purchase of the year, unless Deliverance Kingdom Come is £25 or under.

...so short answer, Im not sure ;)
  • Derblington 7 Mar 2018 15:13:00 30,963 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm not playing a huge amount, so buying less has saved a bit of space on my backlog.
    And if/when I do get to those titles they'll be cheaper.

But I still think I'll end up with more than 10 games this year regardless, as I will go in on the bigger games that are coming.
  • DangerousDave_87 7 Mar 2018 15:17:28 4,950 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm also gaming a little less at the minute. I've STILL not completed Golf Story and I'm not playing Xenoblade for particularly long stints either. I'm just coping away at both in short bursts.

I guess that's given me more time to be productive, which is nice, but I tend to find I miss gaming if I'm away for too long.
  • OnlyJoeKing 7 Mar 2018 15:42:25 667 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm definitely getting a lot out of it. Have been spending more time playing games, less browsing storefronts and HUKD, and have been really savouring the games I've been playing. Had been flitting between them far too much.

Not certain I'd do it next year, probably not, but it's been a massive help to break some bad habits. Maybe one to pull every few years. I'll certainly be trying to carry on being discerning with purchases and with getting as much from games as I can.

"Am I really, actually, genuinely going to play this and love it" might be the new test for next year, or something like that....

Edited by OnlyJoeKing at 15:42:55 07-03-2018
  • the_dudefather 7 Mar 2018 15:59:21 10,812 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not rushing through games as much, felt I did that all the time so I could start playing the next thing on the list.

Nice to sit down and get more invested in some games as a result
  • THFourteen 7 Mar 2018 16:03:52 49,301 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    @THFourteen

I can vouch for Steamworld Heist being a quality game, but it is a bit short. It might not hold you over for very long.

I myself am only buying games with staying power right now.
    Yeah i saw that it was only ~ 10 hours or so. Thing is, Thimbleweed Park was only 15 hours or so. If i get to the end of the year and run over 10 games (which is likely if i buy things like Steamworld Heist) then i think i'll be happy enough as long as I've "finished" the majority (if not all) of them.

"Finished" means different things to all of us, to me it usually means finish the single player campaign (not fussed about filler missions and collectibles in RPGs).

Again if i have a good reason for giving up in a game (like i am considering with DQ8 at the minute - just not enjoying it) then i will give up on it, i think this challenge is to make me think twice about buying loads of games and never playing them.

There are certain games like Civ or FIFA which can't be "finished" so i don't know how i can arbitrarily work out whether i have gotten what i wanted out of those games yet. I for sure don't want to play FIFA for 300 hours a year, but i do want to play it a little.
  • THFourteen 7 Mar 2018 16:32:53 49,301 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Should i just buy it on iPhone tho...
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Mar 2018 16:39:57 39,678 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @THFourteen Half the fun comes from the manual aiming in a turn-based game, I can't quite imagine it works as well on a touchscreen.
  • crashVoodoo 7 Mar 2018 16:55:29 5,904 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Making inroads into March and my spend sits squarely at a single purchase (humble bundle, but for 1 game).

Im glad I've done this because my 'fuck that's cheap grab it now' attitude was getting out of control. I'm still playing as much as normal just the backlog instead.

Taking a witcher 3 break as I was ankering for some arpg loot grind ...

Edited by crashVoodoo at 16:56:18 07-03-2018
  • monkman76 8 Mar 2018 08:11:23 13,253 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Might break my duck today. But should I do it for Nioh, Nier or Horizon, fellow gaming disciplinarians?
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Mar 2018 08:21:25 39,678 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've played all 3. I absolutely adored Nioh - finished it, and bought it again on the PC.

I got bored with Horizon after a dozen hours or so. It's a good game, but it just felt too much like Assassin's Far Cry: Primal Watch Dogs.

Nier I didn't get on with at all. I hear it gets a lot better, but the first 10 hours or so are fetch quests in PS2-environments. Oh, and if you die at the first boss, like I did, you have to play the first hour again...

Edited by UncleLou at 08:21:48 08-03-2018
  • monkman76 8 Mar 2018 08:32:20 13,253 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks. The difficulty of Nioh puts me off, or more specifically the energy and focus I'd need to put in to progress in it, if that makes sense. Life's tiring at the moment so I'm enjoying slower-paced games more!
  • THFourteen 8 Mar 2018 08:36:35 49,301 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think if all 3 purchases are part of the same order then it counts as 1
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Mar 2018 08:37:02 39,678 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That does make a lot of sense, yes. Nioh certainly isn't an easy, relaxing game.
  • the_dudefather 8 Mar 2018 08:49:51 10,812 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was pretty close to breaking my duck with Nioh, but decided against for the moment, think I'm more in the mood for something smaller and more relaxing (most of my backlog is full of big games that last dozens of hours). Might grab it at some other point, It will always be on sale again.

Other bits in the sale that interested me were Last Guardian and God of War 3 remastered (playing Ghost of Sparta from my vita backlog at the moment and having a lot of fun with it despite not playing the other games in the series much), but the PSN sale's on for another two weeks so got time to decide (if I even get anything from it)
  • Phattso 8 Mar 2018 10:56:10 23,585 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been somewhat intermittent on here for a few weeks as a result of illness then a cheeky long weekend holiday. If I've missed anyone's duck breaking, please drop me a PM and I'll update the OP.
  • Derblington 8 Mar 2018 11:43:46 30,963 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I need to go up to 4.
  • THFourteen 8 Mar 2018 11:46:31 49,301 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    if i were to buy Worms with the sole intention of playing it with mates whilst i'm skiing next week and then probably never again do i have to count that towards my 10+2?
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Mar 2018 14:18:14 4,950 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm afraid so.
  • rice_sandwich 8 Mar 2018 14:19:31 4,780 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In fact every person that plays it should be counted. So if you play it with 3 friends that counts as four 😀
  • Technoishmatt 8 Mar 2018 14:28:42 2,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oculus will be giving me $15 credit for that soft bricking bug. What to spend it on :) that would bring me up to two purchases, both VR! Which is an interesting revealed preference.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Mar 2018 16:15:33 39,678 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Since my graphics card blew up and I might be relegated to onboard graphics for he coming months, surely itís ok if I buy Into The Breach?

:-/

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.