Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 72

• monkman76 8 Mar 2018 16:35:00 12,852 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Since my graphics card blew up and I might be relegated to onboard graphics for he coming months, surely itís ok if I buy Into The Breach?

:-/
    No backlog at all on the Switch, PS4 or PSVR?, he asked mischievously.

Edited by monkman76 at 16:35:49 08-03-2018
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Mar 2018 17:07:05 39,525 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No, he blatantly lied, none whatsoever, muttering "what an evil bastard behind the friendly facade" under his breath.
  • Phattso 8 Mar 2018 17:33:10 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If only you hadn't casually abandoned Monster Hunter World after five minutes or whatever it was.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Mar 2018 17:45:49 39,525 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hours. 50. Hours.

It's a bloody conspiracy here with the two of you.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Mar 2018 17:47:08 39,525 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    On a sidenote, I have at least 3fps in the Nioh main menu. Possibly 4, when the fire wolf turns around and shows his backside which has a few polys less.
  • Phattso 8 Mar 2018 17:50:20 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Hours. 50. Hours.

Alright. Fine.

Since I've decided not to get Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on release - because Obsidian and likely buggy as hell - how about *I* buy Into the Breach as my second game and then tell you how good it is?
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Mar 2018 17:55:34 39,525 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That would be great, actually. :)

There's only one reviewer I trust almost blindly, JŲrg Luibl (German guy). He gave ITB 92%, which is one of the highest, possibly *the* highest score he ever gave to anything in a couple of decades, calling it the game with the "biggest tactical breadth/depth" in the genre.
  • THFourteen 8 Mar 2018 18:05:06 48,573 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @UncleLou

It needs to be on Switch.
  • Phattso 8 Mar 2018 18:08:20 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    After Darkest Dungeon, I'm actually content that not everything needs to be on Switch. There's a place for mouse+keyb yet!
  • JoelStinty 8 Mar 2018 18:15:05 6,586 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just realised i will have to buy game three this month due to wanting to spend Nintendo Gold points. Use them or lose them! All £4.80 of them. Which to be fair is about half a indie game.
  • Phattso 8 Mar 2018 18:20:53 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OK then - number two is: Into the Breach.

Questions asked and answered before I pulled the trigger:

1. Am I really excited by the game? YUP! It's by the FTL people FFS!

2. Did I race up to the store on Day One and buy it as a reflex? NOPE! Although a week or two later is hardly putting up a fight.

3. Will I play it IMMEDIATELY? YUP! Darkest Dungeon (my current Switch love) can't be played with tired eyes, so it's nice to have a new alternative. I'd have preferred to wait for a Mac build so I could play it on my lunch break at work, but ho hum

4. Will you LOVE it, and DEVOUR its hidden depths? YUP! Unlike a certain IP Lawyer with A.D.D. I won't be abandoning this after a casual evening's play.

5. Did you look into your backlog between your last purchase and now? YUP! I've caned the hell out of Just Cause 3 on PC, including all the DLC which I'd never completed before. 45 hours over the course of a month. Loved it. Also installed some also-rans from old Humble Bundles but nothing really tempted me to long sessions. Also got a cheeky dozen hours into Shadows of War.

6. Are you already eyeing up another new game? SORT OF, BUT BASICALLY NO! I had planned for PoE2 to be my next purchase - and indeed it probably will be to support Obsidian at launch - but I know there's no point playing it until a few patches are out.

I'm broadly in the right timeframe for a second purchase (every 5.2 weeks, assuming an even distribution) so I'm on the right curve to complete the challenge. Now someone hand me that duck, it's rogerin' time!
  • macmurphy 8 Mar 2018 18:21:40 3,100 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do it. Itís what Jesus would want. Might also roger my duck for a slice of indie pie, Iím probably in the same boat with the points.

Thereís nothing I really, really want and my backlogís still sizeable but I figure Iím never going to regret something like Axiom Verge on the cheap.
  • caligari 8 Mar 2018 18:31:22 17,928 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wow - March 'Hall of the Fallen'. Well, I guess I'll just sit on the side of this dusty road and twiddle my thumbs for a few months. Good luck, fellow travellers - please pick me up if you're heading this way in 2019!
  • ghearoid 8 Mar 2018 18:36:05 2,998 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I used my expiring gold coins towards the Fire Emblem Warriors DLC.

Still at zero game purchases. \o/
  • Phattso 8 Mar 2018 18:38:11 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Wow - March 'Hall of the Fallen'. Well, I guess I'll just sit on the side of this dusty road and twiddle my thumbs for a few months. Good luck, fellow travellers - please pick me up if you're heading this way in 2019!
    It was a noble effort. Not a regal effort, but certainly a noble one. :-D

You should hang around and keep us updated anyway, no reason to stop applying good old-fashioned logic to your purchases from hereon in. Could be you'll end the year on 11!
  • JoelStinty 8 Mar 2018 18:38:26 6,586 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    I used my expiring gold coins towards the Fire Emblem Warriors DLC.

Still at zero game purchases. \o/
    Ohh! Haven't thought of that. Mario DLC! \o/ or rabbids dlc \o/
  • Phattso 8 Mar 2018 18:38:35 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    Do it. Itís what Jesus would want. Might also roger my duck for a slice of indie pie, Iím probably in the same boat with the points.
    Oh, it was done at the point of posting all that. I'm playing it now. :)
  • monkman76 8 Mar 2018 19:04:32 12,852 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Hours. 50. Hours.

;)

To be honest I kind of envy you your interest. I can't bring myself to buy anything. I seem to be drifting away from games, which wasn't exactly the intention!
  • Phattso 8 Mar 2018 23:03:25 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh. Well. Shit. 90 minutes in and I don't like it. :-(

It doesn't have the atmosphere or pull that FTL had, and frankly it's dog ugly. This style and genre was pretty much my teenage years with the Speccy and then the Amiga. I do loves me a nice tile, anda decent sprite. Two islands in and actually I find the plainness on display distracting. I appreciate that they're going for readability in the UI - and have for me only partly succeeded - but at significant cost to the eyeballs.

Then there's the fact that it feels like a puzzle, ready to be unpicked in a certain way, which can by stymied by the initial placement of the mechs. For some reason that *feels* unfair even if it's not, and it's by design.

Fucksticks. I really don't have much interest in going back to it. That's a SUCKY first impression, or I'm just a SUCKY gamer. I perhaps should've taken a moment of pause with how much RPS were fawning over it, as their ebullience rarely squares with my own.

Ah well. Into disaster recovery mode. I'll leave it for now, and come at it fresh over the weekend and hopefully find the quality that others are seeing in this.
  • Skirlasvoud 9 Mar 2018 00:46:43 3,785 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Should've watched a few let's plays and inform your decisions now that there's a premium on games.

It's what I'm doing now that I don't have any new games. *shivers*

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 00:51:13 09-03-2018
  • JiveHound 9 Mar 2018 02:36:35 9,563 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well I learned 'ebullience' so there's that.
  • JiveHound 9 Mar 2018 02:36:36 9,563 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well I learned 'ebullience' so there's that.
  • JiveHound 9 Mar 2018 02:38:44 9,563 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And you still have me on one game. I owned up go 2 a while ago.

It was PUBG which I claimed as a benefit of game sharing with a friend.

1st game, not so enthused. Ugly, janky and just wasn't feeling it. I'll try it again but I don't think these battle royale games are for me. It has taken up a precious slot so I'll have to give it more of a go. Perhaps I'll end up liking it?

Edited by JiveHound at 02:39:27 09-03-2018
  • Skirlasvoud 9 Mar 2018 03:04:17 3,785 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iím also on 2 if I count my ďsurviving marsĒ pre-order, bu Iím staying quiet about it so Phattso wonít notice.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Mar 2018 07:05:33 39,525 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Damn, Phattso. I am sure we'll see a dramatic turnarounf of events.

Skirlasvoud wrote:
    Should've watched a few let's plays and inform your decisions now that there's a premium on games.
    That's the thing though, I usually prefer to go in - well, not "blind", but I do find that watching let's plays can actually dampen the "shiny new game" excitement quite a bit.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Mar 2018 07:16:12 4,556 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I find let's plays too annoying to watch. I think I'm not the right generation for it. I've watched the odd one for games I'm interested in but I don't make a habit of it.
  • Phattso 9 Mar 2018 07:44:35 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It looked more characterful in the few videos I've watched than it does in the flesh so to speak. I also don't do Let's Plays because they bore me, and as you're not actually 'driving' you don't really learn the nuances anyway. It wouldn't have highlighted my annoyances so far.

In fact, re-reading the RPS reach-around review for the game they heavily praise elements that I dislike. Hmmmmm.

I'll dig in at the weekend and search for the gold that must be buried there.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Mar 2018 07:46:50 4,556 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Phattso

Caveat emptor, innit?
  • Phattso 9 Mar 2018 07:48:48 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well yeah. I'm saddened though - this one should've been the slammiest of slam dunks for me. Given the pedigree of the developer, the excitement from strategy nuts, and the art style... but it's just so-so thus far.

Not that I was expecting to have my world changed by a budget priced Indie release, but even so. :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.