Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 74

• DangerousDave_87 12 Mar 2018 01:31:51 4,643 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Its not going to help you with this challenge (I bought 23 Switch games last year), but you'll get plenty from it. :)
  • blimeyguvnor87 12 Mar 2018 10:58:02 398 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think for me, this challenge was less about the money side of things and more about buying anything and everything just because it was new or on sale and I had to have it. With the amount of use I've got from the Switch so far, I see it as a very good investment. Especially with a couple US trips in the next few months, it'll make those flights a lot easier.
  • erniewhatbert 12 Mar 2018 11:16:52 2,876 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had eight hours on a bus on Saturday. I almost broke the duck for Doom on Switch, but decided to stick with what I already had to clear through...

...Tiny Metal. I wish I bought Doom!
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2018 11:27:15 48,530 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Phattso

My ducks been broken BTW

Dragon Quest Builders. Haven't put much time into it yet but it seems a bit like Stardew on 'roids, combat sections at least seem a lot more fun than the mines were.

Dragon Quest VIII on hold (for now), will get back into it "sometime".

I dont feel like i'll "complete" DQB, but as long as i have fun whilst it lasts thats fine.

Log so far : Completed Backlog Games 1, Purchased Games 1, Completed Purchased Games 0

Edited by THFourteen at 11:27:35 12-03-2018
  • blimeyguvnor87 12 Mar 2018 11:31:28 398 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @THFourteen come on, man. Iíve literally not put the Switch down since I bought it all thanks to Stardew and you go and drop a bombshell like that?!

Guess thatíll be me chalking up another purchase. Damn you!

The thing I love about Stardew is it speaks to me on the day job front - sales, and on the OCD front of organising.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2018 11:36:48
    I'm not keen on stardew, but i do like lego worlds and there's the demo for dqb on the eshop. It's one of the things in there tempting me.
  • blimeyguvnor87 12 Mar 2018 11:44:44 398 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ohhh, I'll give the demo a try first in that case!
  • macmurphy 12 Mar 2018 12:43:42 3,088 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    erniewhatbert wrote:
    I had eight hours on a bus on Saturday. I almost broke the duck for Doom on Switch, but decided to stick with what I already had to clear through...

I donít know if you played Doom on other platforms but it was really quite exceptional on the Switch. Me and a mate had this chat, it might not be the best game overall but it was certainly the most enjoyable for us both in places.
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Mar 2018 12:55:44 39,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    erniewhatbert wrote:

God, yeah, why is Tiny Metal so shit? I love Advance Wars, and this is quite obviously pretty much a clone, but it's so boring. I don't even know why, but everytime I try to play it, I give up after a few minutes.
  • the_dudefather 12 Mar 2018 12:59:56 10,804 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Enjoying my single purchase of God of War 3 remastered so far, doesn't feel as precise as a platinum game (I don't think you can cancel out of attack animations into dodges which trips me up a lot), but good angry gory god-murdering fun. It's common to the GOW series (including the new one), but like how the game is one continuous sequence between areas without any hard cuts or visible loading screens

Since I'm doing this challenge I was tempted to treat myself to the new one on launch next month (assuming it reviews well) and ride the hype wave, but can't see it for under 45-46 quid anywhere (and I know the price will probably drop quickly enough)

Oh well, maybe that will be the time I start Yakuza zero instead while I wait for cheaper copies to appear
  • macmurphy 12 Mar 2018 13:01:57 3,088 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @UncleLou

Wargrooveís inbound as second half of 2018.

Failing that they have to have Advance Wars as an opening salvo on the VC. Itís a no-brainier. Though in fairness this is Nintendo.
  • erniewhatbert 12 Mar 2018 13:11:25 2,876 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    erniewhatbert wrote:

I donít know if you played Doom on other platforms but it was really quite exceptional on the Switch. Me and a mate had this chat, it might not be the best game overall but it was certainly the most enjoyable for us both in places.
    I haven't played the reboot, but it's definitely on the shortlist of 10 at the moment.

Having got out of the habit of splashing out on games and using that on other things, seeing it for £40 in the supermarket kind of put me off. I expect that or Dark Souls to be the title to break the duck, though.

UncleLou wrote:
    erniewhatbert wrote:

God, yeah, why is Tiny Metal so shit? I love Advance Wars, and this is quite obviously pretty much a clone, but it's so boring. I don't even know why, but everytime I try to play it, I give up after a few minutes.
    My experience also. The writing is dull. The gameplay is dull. The 3D modelling vs art style makes it too much of a chore to differentiate one vehicle type from another. Avoid.

Edited by erniewhatbert at 13:12:47 12-03-2018
  • macmurphy 12 Mar 2018 13:17:27 3,088 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @erniewhatbert

Honestly do it, get Doom. Especially if youíve not played it. Great campaign with all sorts of secret shite that makes you want to replay it. Itís mint.
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2018 13:27:34 48,530 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    blimeyguvnor87 wrote:
    Ohhh, I'll give the demo a try first in that case!
    Defo try the demo first. There isnít a ďfarmĒ as such to run so far itís more collecting and crafting and building your town that the game is centred on.
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2018 13:28:51 48,530 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @erniewhatbert

Same reason Iíll be waiting for reviews of WarGroove before buying.

Too many pretenders to the AW throne and all have been found wanting.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2018 15:21:31
    erniewhatbert wrote:

I just fired up Doom on the Switch (birthday present that was in my backlog) and although I'm shit at it, I found myself many times on the first level thinking "how the hell is something this good looking on the Switch?". I remember playing the original doom and thinking it was utterly amazing, no way the person i was ever imagined I'd be playing such a graphically amazing version that's played on something about the same size as a book, that I'd be able to afford.

That said, I'm shit at it. Had to put it down after the first level as my hands were shaking so much. Youthful me wouldn't have been able to imagine that either, I used to slaughter the creatures on original Doom.

Motion control is good, but wobbles a bit, so i find myself with the controller almost behind my back at times as i try and keep it steady on a headshot.
  • Phattso 12 Mar 2018 15:23:31 23,313 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Spent more time with Into the Breach yesterday. Steam tells me 11 hours in total. Still dislike the graphical style, slightly more appreciative of some interactions which are way less fiddly than FTL, and still think that the visuals/UI decisions combine to make some tiles MADDENINGLY difficult to read. Lost more than one pilot due to that.

Easy is laughably trivial to beat. Normal is a massive step up, and I've only managed two and a half islands in there.

Starting to see where some of the depth might come from, but I really had to force myself to play as much as I have. Without the irresistible pull to return, I can't see me clocking much more time with it. Not the end of the world for the budget price, but as 10% of my new gaming mileage for the year it's a bit deflating.

Ho hum! Onwards to late April when I can buy my next game. :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Mar 2018 15:34:44 39,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Phattso Hmm, shame.

In the spirit of the thread, I tried to get into Ironcast which I bought some time last year.

It's good, but way too difficult (at least for me). I cannot even beat the first boss (yet). I see how it must be doable, but every attempt requires at least 20 minutes of getting there which have to be *perfect*, and for a game that is built to be replayed again and again, the loading times are a little too long (on the Switch), the dialogues take a little too long to skip, etc.

Lacking a "main game" right now. Finished SotC, play the odd bit of Monster Hunter and GT Sport, nearly finished Moss. Nothing in my backlog to inspire me, really. Dirt makes me feel a little queasy in VR.

:-(
  • Phattso 12 Mar 2018 15:42:16 23,313 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    @Phattso Hmm, shame.
    It is, undeniably, a 'good' game. But the only compulsion is the same as one might get from doing a crossword, or sudoku (or, more relevantly I guess, Picross). It doesn't have the persistent compulsion of FTL, or Darkest Dungeon, or Rogue Legacy, or Spelunky...

I also have the terrifying suspicion that I've seen all the set pieces now, all the different mission types, environments, and objectives. So that just leaves pilot variations, mech upgrades, and building layouts as the modifiers. Just feels too shallow a pool to hold my attention.

My hope is that around the 20 hour mark (my enforced minimum playtime) it'll reveal another layer to me. I really really really want to love it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Mar 2018 15:46:54 39,514 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh, thanks. That actually sounds like I probably would have similar problems with the game. I don't really enjoy puzzle-solving per se all that much, and I also want some sense of general progression and/or discovering new stuff.
  • Phattso 12 Mar 2018 15:51:20 23,313 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Actually, I'm being unfair there. I'm still using the squad you get at the start of the game. There are another ten or so to unlock (you get a gold coin per achievement unlock, and spend to get new squads) so there could be some really interesting things in there.

Rather telling that I couldn't even be arsed to try a different squad though, I guess. That's next on my list.

To avoid a third purchase in the wake of this, I'm going to have to go into Ubisoft Damage Limitation mode. Far Cry 5 is going to be like catnip to me, but I still have AssCreed Oranges and Far Cry Primal to finish. Maybe that's what I'll play next. :)
  • Skirlasvoud 12 Mar 2018 17:56:15 3,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @UncleLou

Whow! Let's not get hasty here on the recommendation of someone 2,5 hours into the game (no offence Phattso)

There's MASSIVE variation in the challenges. You've got dozens of environmental challenges. There's some unique building or another for every map, with its own ruleset. There's MORE than a dozen enemy types. You can level up, specialize and build your team for damage, map control, status effects etc.

I've been following a Youtuber on this stuff and there's a new ruleset to learn on every map because of this.

Is it a puzzle game mostly? Yes, yes it is!

There not being a sense of progression is untrue though.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 18:10:11 12-03-2018
  • Phattso 12 Mar 2018 17:58:24 23,313 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm 11 hours into the game. I appreciate that you'd actually have to read my posts to see that.

If you're enjoying it then great! Good for you! If you're impressed with the "variety" then likewise. I've played through five runs, and it's already repeating itself massively. That didn't kick in with FTL until much much later.

Sadly, my issues with the variety have sapped my will to experiment. A game has to grab you, or it's kinda pointless. *shrug*
  • Skirlasvoud 12 Mar 2018 18:09:52 3,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah crap. No! I read your post. Sorry 'bout that.

Not so good with the numbers apparently. Not sure how 11 came out as 2,5. I might have mixed you up with another post/thread.
  • Phattso 12 Mar 2018 18:30:28 23,313 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It was 2.5 last week when I first bounced off it. :)

As I say, itís clearly a good game. But itís not the game I was expecting, which is fine but a shame for this challenge.
  • Skirlasvoud 12 Mar 2018 19:56:38 3,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    It was 2.5 last week when I first bounced off it. :)

As I say, itís clearly a good game. But itís not the game I was expecting, which is fine but a shame for this challenge.
    Well, if anything you're giving all of us a wonderful bootcamp in being more discerning. Yourself included. ;-)

And yeah, tastes etc. I myself am anxious to buy it, if it didn't put me in the "4 games played" category.
  • Phattso 12 Mar 2018 21:41:54 23,313 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I donít think thatís true or fair. Thereís no way I couldíve known my reaction to it. None of the reviews flag the things that are glaring to me.

Iíll put another 11 hours into it and see where it takes me. It might be salvageable yet.
  • Phattso 12 Mar 2018 21:48:19 23,313 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    But it does mean that my intention to be the poster boy who only buys indie games and no AAA in 2018 probably isnít gonna fly!! :-D
  • Trafford 12 Mar 2018 21:56:16 8,039 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yup, I am so out of this.
    Thought it was a cool idea but I've just had another digital splurge.
    What am I still playing??
    Diablo 3
    This is like an AA meeting.
    Keep going guys.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.