Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 2

• LittleSparra 1 Nov 2017 13:52:58 7,926 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can't foresee what i will buy. Other than a few big things like Halo most of what i get is unplanned. Elex didn't register at all until it was released, whilst I hope to get a Switch and dunno what is out for that next year.

Sea of Thieves and Monster Hunter probs the only near certs.
  • Vortex808 1 Nov 2017 13:55:16 12,884 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haha, yeah I could give this a go.

I've hardly bought any games this year as I've realised I buy more than I have time or inclination to play these days and have been trying hard to find the joy in the games I do buy a bit more.

Sadly, a lot are just becoming shitty open-world map-filler things these days.

Where does EA access count in all this? Grey-area, or "buying games"? :D
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Nov 2017 14:01:50 5,311 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Count me in! I'm selling the PS4 today, which will leave me with just the Switch. That should make things a bit easier for me. If I can keep it down to 10 games, it'll do my savings wonders (I'm meant to be saving for a mortgage next year).

I do have plenty of games left over on the Wii and Wii U that have been neglected, so there's plenty to fill the void (should there be one).
  • TitanWarlord93 1 Nov 2017 14:44:49 331 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I will give this a try. This year there was a lot of games that I got interested and enjoyed. Next year's lineup is pretty much not gonna do it for me so this should be more easier for me.

Challenge accepted.
  • uberbeard 1 Nov 2017 14:49:52 1,478 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I made myself a wall of shame:

Gonna do a one-in one-out system. No more new games unless I complete the ones I want to finish.
  • Dougs 1 Nov 2017 15:02:00 87,395 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm in. Shouldn't be hard, I probably only buy 3 or 4 games a year. But I do add shit loads of PSN games to the list and never play. So I think that will make me more selective of those I do actually download. (does that sound like a reasonable compromise for subscription games? Can add to library and it not count but as soon as you download...)
  • Technoishmatt 1 Nov 2017 15:16:35 2,975 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think I can count the games I really played in 2017 as: PUBG, Rainbow Six Siege, Destiny 2, Titanfall 2, House of the Rising Sun. I bought 3 times that?

I am in, if anything as an experiment.

But I have a few questions on criteria.

What are we doing with F2P (and how would you deal with microtransactions)? Also, things are complicated by EA game pass, and xbox game sharing with my friend - we often get the same games, it just seems to depend who gets it first. And assume that free Xbox Live games are not included.

Just have to decide if I need to make sure to get a Switch and Mario + Zelda before New Year's so they are not on my list. Also, as an experiment wish you had proposed for 2017, as in 2018 we will have a baby, so the circumstances will have changed (I assume I will at least have less time to play - but will I also actually buy less??? Gonna guess no)
  • JoelStinty 1 Nov 2017 16:00:13 7,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I might find 10 too hard to keep that low. Might stick to the 52 version, but have happy intentions of keeping it between 20-30. Currently on my 28th for the year, although that includes one i had practically completed on the 2nd of Jan and a few mobile titles.

I have had a pretty good year though, buying a game, completing, and than on to the next one (except splatoon, which i have yet to start single player). Some games i have continued to play after the credits to try and 100% certain modes ( i.e 1st on every cup in Fast RMX). I'm in a fairly happy place gaming wise at the moment. I could have probably spent more time on some games like the excellent Titanfall 2 but overall i think i have done well this year.

Thats the other problem. What if you pick up a game like Titanfall 2 that is only 5-6 hours in length at best? Getting 6 weeks out of that is going to be hard. Guess there are PS+ games, but was half thinking of letting my Sub lapse.
  • Graxlar_v3 1 Nov 2017 16:03:29 4,594 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    JoelStinty wrote:

Thats the other problem. What if you pick up a game like Titanfall 2 that is only 5-6 hours in length at best?.
    Titanfall 2 is precisely the type of game you would be getting... its a MP game and therefore can be 100's of hours of entertainment if you enjoy that sort of thing.
  • kentmonkey 1 Nov 2017 16:05:16 22,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I with you mate as a fellow 40's fun lovin' youngster. I never hit anywhere near 52 games anyway!
    Lets do this muthaaaa
    You buy, and then sell, and then rebuy 10 games in a month. You're never going to do this! :o)

I'm in. I may not buy 10 games, it may just be 10 games from my backlog with a few bought, but I'm up for this. It's sort of what I've been doing this year anyway, the latter part of it at least.

Spent hours on Hyrule Warriors which I've really enjoyed doing, whereas in previous years I'd have rushed to the end and binned it off in order to play something else (mainly due to PS Plus, which I'm binning from November).
  • JoelStinty 1 Nov 2017 16:07:29 7,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I tend to prefer Single player games, but thats a fair point. I do get absorbed by some MP games but it has been a while, I seem to play them for 20-30 horus at the moment and then just move on. I haven't lost myself to a MP title for a while.

I had been considering picking up FF14. I haven't played a MMO since... does web page rune scape count haha? Square Enix had mentioned they were thinking of bringing it to the Switch which would be quite nice, although i do have a PS4 to play it too.
  • Graxlar_v3 1 Nov 2017 16:16:28 4,594 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @JoelStinty If you do pick up FF14 there is a bunch of us who play it pretty regularly. We could help settle you in.
  • Dombat 1 Nov 2017 16:45:41 1,455 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've already restricted myself this year and massively reined in the buying of new games, but without any sort of numerical figure set. I'd like to do this though - count me in.
  • caligari 1 Nov 2017 16:49:56 17,931 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This hasn't started yet, has it? It's just I noticed that Axiom Verge and Worms WMD are now on the PSN sale. :/
  • Jono62 1 Nov 2017 16:51:09 21,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm in but it'll mean buying more games than usual!
  • macmurphy 1 Nov 2017 16:52:23 3,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is a great idea. In.
  • Derblington 1 Nov 2017 16:52:50 31,204 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @JoelStinty
    It's not 10 to play and complete, just don't buy more than. Do you not have backlog?

If you don't have backlog, how do you not have backlog?
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Nov 2017 16:58:04 23,792 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I with you mate as a fellow 40's fun lovin' youngster. I never hit anywhere near 52 games anyway!
    Lets do this muthaaaa
    You buy, and then sell, and then rebuy 10 games in a month. You're never going to do this! :o)
    Damn you Kent, rather appropriately you have found my Kryptonight ;)
  • JoelStinty 1 Nov 2017 17:18:11 7,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

Ahh cool thatís nice to hear! Iíll keep that in mind, thanks!
  • JoelStinty 1 Nov 2017 17:19:58 7,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Derblington 40 odd games ;) but a majority of them are indies and if they come out on switch I am more inclined to actually buy them and play them on instead. So it is just a restriction to 10 purchases then?
  • Phattso 1 Nov 2017 17:44:10 24,144 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yep. Play as many games as you like, but try to buy no more than ten new ones.

I've updated the original post with a suggestion for subscription thingies like XBL, PSN, EA Access, etc. etc. Basically: in the case of 'freebies' on those services you haven't 'bought' it until you've installed it.

So feel free to rack up all those indies you'll never play, but if you install it that's one of the ten.
  • JoelStinty 1 Nov 2017 18:16:29 7,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cool I give it a bash as well!
  • rice_sandwich 1 Nov 2017 18:51:50 4,907 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Xenoblade 2 is out in December but buying it in 2017 is probably cheating for me, given that I'm currently working on Mario, Fire Emblem and haven't even started Rabbids.
  • Graxlar_v3 1 Nov 2017 19:19:44 4,594 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Itís not cheating, itís playing the game.
  • Dr.Haggard 1 Nov 2017 21:48:53 4,639 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm in.

Myself, Phattso, Duffman and any other old farts joining in may need one of you youngsters to remind us nearer the time.
  • Malek86 1 Nov 2017 21:53:54 7,909 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does DLC count? I mean, I just know that Bungie is going to release at least two of them in 2018.
  • Phattso 1 Nov 2017 21:57:21 24,144 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This, really:

Phattso wrote:
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    I'm in. Does dlc for already owned games count? I'll very likely buy whatever minor dlc releases next year for Field of Glory 2, which could amount to two or three purchases.
    I'd sort of count DLC in with the game. As the aim - for me at least - is to actually love the games and appreciate them as their makers intended then I'd argue DLC should absolutely be a gimme and not counted against the 10.
  • OnlyJoeKing 1 Nov 2017 21:57:31 776 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alright fuck it, I'm in. I'll take the 12 game flavour.

The backlog is so big, I'll not want for material. I worry that it will be indie games that miss out, though.

Ah, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let's do it!

(...I wonder whether panic will set in, resulting in a Christmas steam sale binge...)
  • Angry_Man_Dan 1 Nov 2017 22:41:11 692 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like the idea of this, but Iíd never stick to it. Iím beyond help!
  • Malek86 1 Nov 2017 23:49:17 7,909 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm sitting out. If it were just new games, this would be really easy. But if it's about all games, then I wouldn't be able to make anymore of my retro purchases for like 5 bucks each...

Mind, it wouldn't be such a bad idea. My shelves are bursting. A few more physical games and I'll be in trouble.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.