Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 110

• Switch024 11 May 2018 12:57:53 2,859 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Next few weeks are going to be interesting/testing.

I'll be getting the Dark Souls Remaster at release as I've never played it past the first area. I quite enjoy playing them at the same time as everyone else, think the morale support helps to push you through on your first run.

Detroit releases on the same day and Quantic Dream games are my guilty pleasures and this one looks like it could actually be very good. If I wasn't already getting Dark Souls I'd be getting this at release too.

Then at the beginning of June Vampyr gets released and I've had my eye on it for a while, everything about the game looks right up my street and I'd really look to support a game where the genre and style isn't as well represented as I'd like these days. If this reviews well I'll likely pick it up too.
  • rice_sandwich 11 May 2018 14:45:08 4,779 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TL;DR: blah blah nerd talk

The sledgehammer to crack a nut aspect of the challenge bugs me slightly. Theres no nuance, no finesse, no painfully considered list of exceptions borne from blood, sweat and tears. So thinking of next year...

The number is the thing but it's really not about the number and it's easy to be fooled by it. My feeling is that it about making good use of one's time rather than hitting an arbitrary target. Numbers are nice and easy, I get it.

The challenge is for fun and I can genuinely say that, so far, early doors, I've changed my habits in buying games. I've saved money - not the point but nice - and have saved time by no longer jumping between new game x, y and z or buying due to positive reviews. All good. I'm not complaining. yes I am.

Still... there's the retro and older / simpler games question raised recently. I think this mostly applies to older, fairly short games or indie curios.

Not buying the (for example) complete Samurai Shodown series of games on Switch, so as not to 'waste' slots feels arbitrary and somewhat self-defeating when such things don't necessarily add to the backlog or waste significant amounts of time.

So, I think it's ok to make some 'wasteful' purchases where you don't expect to get lots of play out of a game, or even complete it, just because you want to check out gaming history or the development of a series etc.

I expect user Phattso to hire a team of top contract lawyers to cover all the myriad scenarios that the last 100 or so pages have thrown up (quite literally). I shall look forward to reading the 600 page guideline document and exceptions appendix for 2019 😀
  • Phattso 11 May 2018 14:53:28 23,574 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Heh - I have been thinking a lot about next year and how we might approach it. I've tried to steer people toward the "we'll ask no questions, so you'll tell no lies" aspect of the edge cases.

Bought a 99p timewaster on your phone and don't want to count it? Just keep schtum.
    Went on a retro binge at the boot fair at the weekend? We're none-the-wiser. Dared to get a freebie from Rogueywon? WE'LL HOUND YOU UNTIL YOU QUIT THE THREAD IN A RAGE! OK, so they're not all good steers, but you get the idea.

That should get us through to the New Year without too much bloodshed. :)

I've really found myself resonating with the idea of "getting one back" if you really get the most out of one of the ten. That'd be just as open to cheating as the present rules, of course, but possibly manageable. In that way people won't miss out on more niche or smaller-scale offerings, and there's more motivation to actually finish your games.

Then the hounding and harassment goes from "DOES THIS GAME COUNT?!" to "WE DON'T BELIEVE YOU PLAYED IT ENOUGH!"

Carnage. Absolute carnage.
  • Switch024 11 May 2018 15:08:04 2,859 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The simplicity works but if people are really struggling with indecision when it comes to indies/retro then just treat them as half a game.

That consequence of a wasted purchase will still be there if you play it for 5 mins and then sack it off but it's less of a risk.
  • THFourteen 11 May 2018 15:10:58 49,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't mind being transaparent - i've always treated this thread as more of a guide rather than a rule, something to remind me to think about what i'm doing before i do it.

Currently on 2 "real" games : Labo and DQ Builders

Also bought Steamworld Heist and Football Manager on mobile - i probably wont count those but dont care if anyone else does!

Finished DQ8 and Xenoblade 2 and Shadowrun Dragonfall so far this year.

Think i'm doing alright, there isn't really anything on the horizon i want to sink my teeth into yet either, taking the time to build some of my LEGO backlog and watch some netflix and read some comics.
  • rice_sandwich 11 May 2018 15:18:43 4,779 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Phattso

If only he had a time machine...things could've been different. If only user Phattso knew what he knows now, things could've been different and the world wouldn't have ended.

/cue Twilight Zone music
  • TitanWarlord93 11 May 2018 16:30:32 293 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Okay I went out and bought not one but two games today. God Of War and DragonBall FighterZ so I am now on 4 games.

Temptation really does get me though.
  • TitanWarlord93 11 May 2018 16:30:34 293 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Vortex808 11 May 2018 16:34:46 12,515 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TBH, there's not been much on the way to tempt me yet, so it's been an easy run thus far.

I'm hoping that E3 will change that with some tasty goodies to be revealed.
  • Vortex808 11 May 2018 16:43:02 12,515 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So saying, what was the ruling on games with backwards compatibility?

Vanquish(360) is on GWG next week or so, and I aim to grab that again.

If it counts as a game, then I won't install it, but I'm kind of hoping it's counted as being already owned which would allow me to have a quick 30min scamper about to see how it looks & plays for old times sake.

Now I'm being one of those chancers asking for extra leeway!! ;-)

Edited by Vortex808 at 16:43:16 11-05-2018
  • rice_sandwich 11 May 2018 16:46:01 4,779 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It doesn't count if you double dip or platform shift a previously owned game, imo. Remasters count.
  • Jono62 11 May 2018 16:57:39 20,477 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was looking at getting Tropical Freeze. Going to wait until there is a sale as I'm not paying £50.

Only game I wanted to get is Morphies Law and who knows when that's coming out. Happy to keep on playing Splatoon until something comes up.
  • crashVoodoo 12 May 2018 09:45:00 5,904 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Im assuming I'm at the end of GTAV now, just done prep on a big heist. Proper enjoyed this but Rockstar open world fatigue has set in simply because it's not enough of a sandbox where you can tool about. Cops are instantly on your ass.

I think I'm gonna move onto shadow of war next or go and finish off the main story in witcher. Ooh, I could fire up Deus ex, anything really to keep GoW purchase at bay for a bit longer.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 09:47:26 12-05-2018
  • Phattso 12 May 2018 11:00:33 23,574 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @crashVoodoo the lure of God of War was exceptionally compelling at first, but now I think Iím in the clear. It helped that a few people finished it and poured cold water on the GoaT talk, plus itís no longer the new shiny.

Still on my watch list, but off the radar for now. *phew*
  • hedben2013 13 May 2018 12:58:44 769 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I regret to report that, since I had Game Pass anyway for State of Decay 2, I downloaded Sea of Thieves - to see for myself if it's as beautiful but shallow as everyone says.

That brings me to 8, and it will be 9 the second SOD2 is released.

No more games for me though. Unless they announce and immediately release Borderlands 3 or Elder Scrolls 6 at E3, which they clearly won't. Oe maybe if Dark Souls 3 goes on sale. Which, with the impending remaster of DS1, it might well do...
  • Frogofdoom 13 May 2018 13:07:38 9,288 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like your optimism at being able to hold out for only one more game between june and christmas. Fair play if you manage it!
  • DangerousDave_87 13 May 2018 13:19:46 4,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    As someone who's gone 5 months without buying a single game, it'll be easy! ;)
  • Frogofdoom 13 May 2018 13:33:55 9,288 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would be screwed, red dead and spiderman would kill me off without even thinking about anything else.
  • hedben2013 13 May 2018 13:34:25 769 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Frogofdoom What some call optimism others would call foolishness! But we'll see...
  • DakeyrasUK 13 May 2018 13:39:44 1,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So does it count if my brother bought God of war digitally and due to us sharing our digital libraries with eachother i am playing god of war but i didnt buy it...
  • DangerousDave_87 13 May 2018 13:50:11 4,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I would say so. That's the same as having somebody buy you a game as a birthday present. You didn't pay for it, but you've chosen to play it.
  • kosigan 14 May 2018 10:21:19 652 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, when do pre-orders count? I've pre-ordered (something I hardly ever do) The Crew 2. So does it count now, as I've paid for it, or at the end of June, when it comes out? I don't mind which. That puts me on 5 at the end of June, so on track, unless OnRush turns out to be worth a purchase. I'll be trying the beta this week, so that will likely determine it for me.

Edited by kosigan at 10:21:54 14-05-2018
  • THFourteen 14 May 2018 10:25:51 49,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @kosigan
    Counts when it arrives IMO

I've preordered Octopath but it doesnt arrive till July so i don't have it in hand and it can easily be cancelled before then.
  • kosigan 14 May 2018 10:37:51 652 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Phattso - I've been thinking about next year too. What about, instead of a number of games, you go with an amount of money spent? Each person works out their own budget for the year and every purchase comes out of that. That way, the absolute number of games isn't the point - you can buy a few big/expensive games, or lots of small/cheap games, or (more likely) some combination in between. PS+/Live would obviously count towards the budget. It would also encourage people to wait for a sale and get the game you want cheaper. For me, I think £250 would be the budget I set myself for the year. What do you think?
  • Graxlar_v3 14 May 2018 10:39:27 3,538 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @kosigan he point of the exercise was not to save money (though that is a good idea) but to help clear out your backlog.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 14 May 2018 10:42:10 1,222 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I bought Dishonoured GOTY edition on Friday for the princely sum of £3, completed it in the early hours of Sunday night, puts me on 4 purchases for the year.

I really like Dishonoured, I originally bought it for the Xbox 360 when it was first released but the loading times were so lengthy after dying it was excruciating so I abandoned it. Playing it on a fast PC with an SSD was a dream. Loading between sections took less than three seconds.

1. ShadowRun returns
    2. Doom - Ultra Viloence Completed
    3. Call of Juarez Gunslinger - Real West difficulty Completed
    4. Dishonoured - Ghost Run Completed.

Edited by whatfruitlivesagain at 10:43:47 14-05-2018
  • kosigan 14 May 2018 10:43:56 652 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 - it's another way of making you think about your purchases, without limiting some of the smaller games that some people don't want to "waste" one of their 10 precious slots on with the current scheme.
  • Dombat 14 May 2018 11:01:05 1,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's some merit to a budget system. You could always set yourself a low budget if you have a tendency to mostly buy cheap games anyway.

There's that guy in this thread (can't remember who, sorry) that set a budget of around £300 but already bought about 7 barely chipping into the budget.

It might not reduce your number of purchases that much for the intentions of giving your games more time, cutting the backlog etc, but it gives some flexibility to a challenge.

I dunno, I'm yet to buy anything so I've not had any problems with this system!
  • JiveHound 14 May 2018 11:47:23 9,764 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm on 4 for the year and I honestly don't know why I bothered with any of them as I just haven't had the time or energy to play much of anything.

Okay, other than Superhot which I completed and enjoyed on GWG.

I never finished the campaign for MHW as my mates steamed off ahead, PUBG I've only played a handful of times, same as Sea of Thieves.

Will I still make 10 purchases this year? I expect so although this thread has dramatically decreased my relentless purchasing and made me more considered in general so I thank Phattso for that.
  • THFourteen 14 May 2018 11:51:39 49,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still tempted by Battletech. I think i would play it too...plus it's had a patch or two now i think which address some of the earlier moaning. And Rogueyone says its good. And i love Battletech :-)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.