Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 111

• JiveHound 14 May 2018 11:53:43 9,940 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds like several good reasons to jump on.
  • JiveHound 14 May 2018 11:54:15 9,940 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm, hello new page euphemism.
  • rice_sandwich 14 May 2018 12:25:50 4,839 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Making good use of my time and making better purchasing decisions is what it's all about for me. Before buying a game I look at whether it's one I'm curious about / heard good things about, do I like the genre or series or is it just because of good reviews or just because it's 'time' to get something new.

Then there are things like: will I play it right away, am I excited about it, and am I willing and able to devote the time to it on an ongoing basis. I fall down on the last one a lot.

I have played the first hour of loads of games. Then I either find something I don't like about it, get distracted by a shiny new game and forget the controls and story or feel intimidated by how many hours it requires and decide to go for something more accessible.

Of my purchases this year:

Pinball FX 3: Totally worth it. I've spent a fair bit of time on it. A good buy.

Pokken Tournament DX: Slight regret. I'm not sure I'm willing to put the time into it to get even half decent at online play. I like pootling around in the single player mode from time to time. I've only played it for 2 or 3 hours. I like it but I'm not sure I can be bothered with it. Perhaps a case of a game that feels more like work than fun in some respects.

Transport Fever: Slight regret. I was waiting on a performance patch to get properly started but I'm not sure I want to sit down in front of a pc for hours on end. I feel this is a game that I'll explore over a long period of time. I could have bought it next year though. A bad buy given that it's not something I see myself playing very soon.
  • Rodderz 14 May 2018 12:36:29 3,403 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My backlog is still proving fruitful at the moment. I finished FFXV just over a week ago and have now moved on to the last of my Chrimbo purchases, Watch_Dogs 2. I really enjoyed WD1 and this is supposed to be reasonably lengthy, so this should keep me going for a little while longer. I think once I'm done with this though, it might well be time for a purchase or PS+ game.
  • JiveHound 14 May 2018 12:44:52 9,940 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've started on FFXV a week or so ago but due to lack of time haven't touched it for a fair few days.

Gungeon and Overwatch continue to be my go to games andd I've had them for a couple of years now!
  • Nazo 14 May 2018 12:52:55 841 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I finished FFXV at the weekend and found it a real slog. It's made me question whether I actually still enjoy games or not. For sure it's not a particularly great game and in particular it messed up the things I enjoy the most about JRPGs but still I've got this nagging feeling that I'm playing more out of habit than anything. It would explain why I've found it so easy to stop buying games.

Once I've finished Danganronpa I think I'm going to go cold turkey. Hopefully it will rekindle some enthusiasm or get me off them completely.
  • Ror 14 May 2018 13:09:51 17,702 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've bought seven games so far this year, but I could probably have managed zero if I had any kind of willpower at all - the only games I'm really playing are FFXIV and Halo 5 /o\
  • Dombat 14 May 2018 14:29:29 1,402 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    I've started on FFXV a week or so ago but due to lack of time haven't touched it for a fair few days.

Gungeon and Overwatch continue to be my go to games andd I've had them for a couple of years now!
    Yeah, I'm trying to not buy any lengthy single player games because I have too many on the go or untouched. FFXV is my current main one I'm focusing on.

While I don't mind the idea of picking up more multiplayer or open ended games, I'm also still mostly playing Overwatch so I feel like any deeper multiplayer games won't get a look in either.

I'm close to getting Mario Kart 8 though. I think that's an ideal purchase for me at the moment and I have a craving to play it anyway.
  • Phattso 14 May 2018 15:15:13 23,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @kosigan re: setting a budget.

This was never about the money (I think I make the case clearly enough in the first post) but about re-connecting with games, giving them proper attention, etc. etc. If money is how you measure it, or want to throttle it, then by all means go for it. But for me: that wouldn't make each purchase more valuable. If there's only ten, they ALL matter. It forces me to THINK and to CARE. Sorry about ANNOYING CAPS EMPHASIS. :)

YMMV, but the ten game limit is doing the trick for me so far.
  • kosigan 14 May 2018 18:24:34 658 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Phattso - it's not about the money, per se. It's another way of making you think about your purchases, but with a way to have some smaller, shorter games that won't last long, as well as the big ones that may take dozens of hours. Journey and the Witcher 3, for example, both count as 1 under the current system. Journey takes less than 2 hours and The Witcher 3 (with sidequests) about 100 hours.

There are going to be flaws with any system, it's just a matter of what works for each person. There's nothing to stop both existing side-by-side and people choosing which works for them.
  • Phattso 14 May 2018 18:30:06 23,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Indeed, and there are people running all sorts of things including one brave soul with a 500 budget. And while not perfect, I still maintain that choice (big, small, long, short) is important and has helped me get a handle on where I was going wrong with games. I suspect if we do this again we might come up with some exceptions/alterations though. It'll evolve.

I personally wouldn't be interested in basing one around cash - that absolutely wouldn't achieve my personal goals - but if that's your bag fill yer boots.
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 14:55:49 4,839 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd like to buy Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. I had it on the Wii U so it's not a totally new game but I will count it as a purchase anyway.

Here are my thoughts. It's a game that I could buy at any time in the future, there's no real reason to get it right away apart from being able to discuss and play it as the same time as others. I also have a few other games that I'm chipping away at so it's not like I lack games to play. It's a long game that I'll probably still be playing at least occasionally this time next year.

So, what to do? It's a game I know I like and will definitely buy at some point. It's just whether I 'need' it now, mostly to take advantage of the shared forum experience. I suppose this is the whole point of the thread. When to buy and when to hold off and make a better choice.
  • Phattso 16 May 2018 15:12:04 23,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you had it on the Wii U then - presumably - you enjoyed the "shared forum experience" as that time? Are you really so keen to replay a Nintendo B-Lister? :)

Anyways, it's really not a remaster in any meaningful sense - just a res bump and bundled DLC if memory serves - so just call it a double-dip and don't count it against your five.
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 15:17:57 4,839 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Phattso

I don't recall talking about it much at the time as there weren't that many Wii U owners on here. It's a significant consideration when buying a game whether others are playing it at the same time. It just makes it a bit more fun. Better than waiting for the monthly Zzap or Crash game play tips and pokes back on the day.

I could in theory have more Wii U double dip purchases than new games by the end of the year 😀
  • Phattso 16 May 2018 15:47:02 23,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had it back on launch, but it failed to properly grab me. To be honest, I'd be stunned if there were much more of a crowd diving in to the Switch version. It's not gonna attract crowds like a Souls game or Destiny or whatever that's for sure.
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 15:53:44 4,839 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah , for sure. It's a fairly shallow game that's easy to pick up and fun in short bursts. Well suited to quick sessions on the Switch.
  • Phattso 16 May 2018 15:56:23 23,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't disagree - I just don't think you're going to find much of a crew playing it right now is all. Which was a large part of your reasoning for getting it now (which I'm assuming you posted about to illicit discussion, otherwise you wouldn't be so busy trying to justify it to yourself). ;)
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 16:03:30 4,839 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't need any excuses to justify anything to myself. I already have my flimsy self-given permission. I'm fully in control of my purchasing decisions. I don't have a problem with buying games. I love buying games. I don't need to buy every game I like. Only 7 months to go. I keep telling myself these things. Easy!
  • Phattso 16 May 2018 16:09:59 23,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heh heh. :)
  • DangerousDave_87 16 May 2018 17:52:44 5,144 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Had my first test of strength today. I stupidly decided to browse the eShop this afternoon and there's 6 games coming out in a two week window that I'd love to play. Hnnngghh!

It also doesn't help that the other half is currently playing a demo of Super Chariot, which actually looks great! I've still got plenty of Xenoblade to be getting on with. Plenty of Xenoblade.
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 17:54:45 4,839 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

You're going to struggle to buy half a dozen games this year the rate you're going at.
  • DangerousDave_87 16 May 2018 18:03:58 5,144 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ha. Well I've got two thirds of my purchases planned out already. If I end up buying something before Crash Bandicoot comes out then the plan begins to crumble!
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 18:34:07 4,839 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't forget E3 is in a month. It could be big!
  • JoelStinty 16 May 2018 18:50:31 6,859 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think i probably break the ten game challenged. Think i am currently on 6. But for me it is not letting MY backlog go wild. I deleted everything really except for a few things. My main take is not to put games to one side. Play and compete everything. Which i have done successfully. So pretty happy.

Currently playing GOW and DKTF and enjoying them both i may 100% them.

On the other hand i might win, because it's going to be a 10 month challenge as i'm off travelling in October for 6/7 months. Maybe more. Depending.
  • Jono62 16 May 2018 20:14:11 20,973 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New game bought alert!

Love You To Bits on Android. Going to be one for my commute.
  • Vortex808 16 May 2018 20:21:05 12,713 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Metro exodus is delayed to next year.

I gain a bonus slot now! :-)
  • crashVoodoo 17 May 2018 07:05:36 6,020 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There is a sale on at GMG and I nearly bought Watchdogs 2 last night for the sum of 14.

Oddly it wasn't my conscience of this thread that made me pause ... It activates on Uplay not Steam.

Just feels ... wrong
  • whatfruitlivesagain 17 May 2018 11:29:18 1,306 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So I have ploughed through Dishonored and the DLC which was included with my GOTY edition.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and get dishonored 2 I hunting for a double pack which also includes the DLC Death of the Outsider.

I'm going to be up to five by next week. I was doing so well.
  • Dirt3 17 May 2018 11:52:59 376 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    So I have ploughed through Dishonored and the DLC which was included with my GOTY edition.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and get dishonored 2 I hunting for a double pack which also includes the DLC Death of the Outsider.

Are you trying to claim Death of the Outsider is DLC and therefore a freebie ?
  • whatfruitlivesagain 17 May 2018 12:09:46 1,306 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:

Are you trying to claim Death of the Outsider is DLC and therefore a freebie ?
    I am. And I'm sticking with it if its bundles into a single purchase.

In all honesty this challenge has already helped me. I've completed every game I have bought this year compared to previously when I would buy games play them for a week and abandon them to be unloved in my Steam Library. I have also cleared some of the back log and stopped buying bundles which I'm not going to play.

I've also extended the spirit of the challenge to my RPG book buying, I am making a concerted effort to learn and master a few systems to actually run and play rather than accumulating books of games I would "Like" to run. However the Warhammer Fantasy 4th Edition pre order is requiring me to summon all my reserves of will power to resist.

Edited by whatfruitlivesagain at 12:14:16 17-05-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.