Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 136

• DUFFMAN5 3 Jul 2018 10:41:44 23,145 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ...I think the 2019 version is going to have to have a contract drawn up ;)
  • monkman76 3 Jul 2018 10:42:52 13,134 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SRS BSNSS, FRAUD ACTIONS etc
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Jul 2018 10:43:01 3,085 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I think a five man judges panel must be formed to ensure that we can reach conclusions to these issues as they appear.
  • Phattso 3 Jul 2018 10:43:11 23,464 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    ...I think the 2019 version is going to have to have a contract drawn up and shoved up some arses ;)
    Quite.
  • monkman76 3 Jul 2018 10:44:04 13,134 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not mine I hope. I'm here defending your right to re-buy M+R.
  • THFourteen 3 Jul 2018 10:44:04 48,964 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Rebuying games that you were foolish enough to sell one (or more?) times shouldn't count. Having to splurge the cash again is punishment enough. I am laughing at you from side stage. There's no reason to further punish the poor fools who unwittingly entered into the challenge. The spirit is more important than the letter (except in the case of certain users who we won't mention...)
    Yes but by that argument Phattso is allowed to buy Rabbids, so you must be wrong.
  • Phattso 3 Jul 2018 10:46:40 23,464 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Not mine I hope. I'm here defending your right to re-buy M+R.
    You'd have to ask Duff as it's his sentiment. For my part I think you're a King among men and should be lauded for your common sense and entirely legally binding approach to these matters.

Not like Derblington-Retail-Bane, The Dastardly DLC Denier.
  • Derblington 3 Jul 2018 10:49:31 30,906 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    I think that's crazy. Again, I haven't done it - but if I buy MGS5 (got about halfway through then sold) or Witcher 3 (about 3/4 through) in a deep sale, I won't be counting them. This thread has never been about the money, so selling and re-buying is neither here nor there. It's simply going from abandoned to rediscovered.
    It's not about the money. It's a challenge for the year.
    Any game you play in 2018 counts(be it purchase, install, play - whatever your version of the rules are).

If you start something in Jan, sell it on in March and repurchase to complete in July - (you're an idiot but) 1 game logged. Same with installations, because that doesn't make any difference.

If you started and sold something last year, or 5 years ago, and repurchase/reinstall to play it - 1 game logged. You're dipping into your backlog to complete a title but backlog games still count if you play them this year.

Edited by Derblington at 10:59:52 03-07-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Jul 2018 10:50:55 3,085 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Derblington wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    I think that's crazy. Again, I haven't done it - but if I buy MGS5 (got about halfway through then sold) or Witcher 3 (about 3/4 through) in a deep sale, I won't be counting them. This thread has never been about the money, so selling and re-buying is neither here nor there. It's simply going from abandoned to rediscovered.
    It's not about the money. It's a challenge for the year.
    Any game you play in 2018 (be it purchase, install, play - whatever your version of the rules are).

If you start something in Jan, sell it on in March and repurchase to complete in July - (you're an idiot but) 1 game logged. Same with installations, because that doesn't make any difference.

If you started and sold something last year, or 5 years ago, and repurchase/reinstall to play it - 1 game logged. You're dipping into your backlog to complete a title but backlog games still count if you play them this year.
    wait,are doing a play 10 games in a year challenge as i think that is something different?
  • rice_sandwich 3 Jul 2018 10:53:27 4,720 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @THFourteen

Comedy value says it's not allowed. Common sense and adhering to the noble spirit of the thread that was so generously gifted to the forum in his all knowing foresight by our illustrious, capital letter screaming, math loving forefather - may he be free to buy dlc for games he idiotically sold - says that it's ok. We shouldn't judge those who have no self control. It's what Phattso would want.
  • monkman76 3 Jul 2018 10:54:29 13,134 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Backlog games still count if you play them this year? I think you are completely missing the point of this thread.
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Jul 2018 10:59:44 13,642 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    ...I think the 2019 version is going to have to have a contract drawn up ;)
    I was thinking a points system.

3 points for a retail release
    2 points for a download only (or indie release)
    1 point for a double dip / remaster / gift (anything we have argued doesn’t count this year).

30 point limit.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 11:00:39 03-07-2018
  • Derblington 3 Jul 2018 11:46:14 30,906 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Backlog games still count if you play them this year? I think you are completely missing the point of this thread.
    Yeah, fair. Backlog games don't but I still think new purchases during the year should regardless of whether you've owned the title previously.

Maybe it'll help get out of the habit of buying/selling/re-buying over and over.
  • Phattso 3 Jul 2018 12:00:44 23,464 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Maybe it'll help get out of the habit of buying/selling/re-buying over and over.
    I think there are only three people in this thread that actually do this with any regularity. :)

I was happy with my time with Kingdom Battle and knew I didn't want to 100% it, though less than impressed with Horizon, so didn't feel the need to just have them sitting around gathering dust. Selling them on in the swapsies thread was more about letting someone else enjoy them than actually offsetting the cost. That and avoiding game related clutter, having spent most of the last three years selling off my retro collection that had been moved from house to house to house because nostalgia.

I don't think it makes sense to keep these newer games on the off-chance the DLC/Season Pass actually delivers. Sure it appears to have bitten me on the arse here, but in general I'm happy with my approach.
  • Derblington 3 Jul 2018 13:14:10 30,906 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Honestly, I don't really care how everyone is approaching their challenge. You do you :)

It was the the "poor disc buyer" approach that I found ridiculous. Deleting/reinstalling is a process that applies to all players regardless of media. Selling/re-buying is a different thing.

If I was going to apply a ruling to it, it'd be this one:

If you start something in Jan, sell it on in March and repurchase to complete in July - (you're an idiot but) 1 game logged.

If you started and sold something last year, or 5 years ago, and repurchase/reinstall to play it - 1 game logged.
    Because you're re-adding a title that you don't currently own to your "to play list", and therefore increasing the backlog.
    If it's purely for the DLC, well then that's some expensive DLC.
  • monkman76 3 Jul 2018 13:20:34 13,134 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, as someone who has unfinished disc games and digital games, it seems strangely arbitrary to say I can pick up, say, GTA5 (which I have digitally, and abandoned around halfway) having not touched it for years - but if I buy MGS5 (which I got halfway through on disc then sold) for about £5 I have to count it. Both exist in the same category in my mind, it just happens that I bought them in different ways.

Edited by monkman76 at 13:21:29 03-07-2018
  • Dombat 3 Jul 2018 13:22:44 1,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, there's no way I'm including backlog games in this. Getting round to playing them (and devoting proper time to them) is the whole reason I'm doing the challenge - not just to stop buying so many games. I was already exercising restraint with my purchases in 2017, but this challenge gives a clear goal to aim for.
  • Derblington 3 Jul 2018 13:24:22 30,906 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's not about their format. If you still owned the MGS5 disc it would be the same as GTA5.

One you own and is in your existing library backlog, the other you don't and have to purchase to re-add to your library in order to play it.
  • monkman76 3 Jul 2018 13:26:17 13,134 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks, Einstein. I just don't think that that distinction matters at all in the spirit of this thread.
  • monkman76 3 Jul 2018 13:28:26 13,134 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Where do you stand on double-dipping on a second system? That has been decreed by the hordes and the maestro as not counting, as long as the second dip is not a remaster. That being so, double-dipping ON THE SAME SYSTEM surely cannot count.
  • Derblington 3 Jul 2018 13:31:42 30,906 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As I said, you do you. I don't really care how you pick your games, I just don't think it makes a lot of sense to buy old titles to limit buying new titles. You're going through the exact same process to play a title.

I'd log double-dipping too. You're buying a title to play that you wouldn't be playing otherwise.

Edited by Derblington at 13:33:20 03-07-2018
  • rice_sandwich 3 Jul 2018 13:31:44 4,720 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You guys are so screwed for next year's challenge. None of this rules lawyering is going to matter a jot 😀
  • Phattso 3 Jul 2018 13:31:47 23,464 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just so y'all know, the braying masses won't be content unless this ends in at least one rage quit. The Forum Expects.
  • monkman76 3 Jul 2018 13:32:41 13,134 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But if you go, the thread goes...

Wait, that's only if you're banhammered isn't it :)

Edited by monkman76 at 13:33:17 03-07-2018
  • Frogofdoom 3 Jul 2018 13:34:31 9,063 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We don't want a rage quit, we want blood.
  • Phattso 3 Jul 2018 13:35:49 23,464 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Wait, that's only if you're banhammered isn't it :)
    I mean, I can probably make it happen... :D
  • crashVoodoo 3 Jul 2018 19:41:22 5,873 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Double-dipping HAS to count then.

I demand a recount.
    I thought we were past this. Double dipping is purchasing a game you currently own but you want it on a different system. You could legitimately go and play it now without a purchase.

Rebuying a game you sold on is purchasing something you don't currently have at all. ie. you can't go an play it right now.

I've previously had bioshock collection on PS4 but sold it and have now picked it up on the pc. Hence it counts :-)

I have spoken. Let us move on

Edited by crashVoodoo at 19:48:01 03-07-2018
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Jul 2018 20:03:09 13,642 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso needs to move me up a bit.

Here is my summary so far:
    1. Edith Finch (finished)
    2. Monster Hunter World (finished story)
    3. Titanfall 2 (finished)
    4. Doom VFR (not played)
    -. Wipeout Omega Collection (played a little) bought for VR, already own games on PS3
    -. Shadow of the Collosus (finished) borrowed from a friend and own PS2 version
    5. Portal Bridge Builder (finished)
    -. Pokemon Quest (finished story) freemium game on Switch I have not spent money on
    6. Sexy Brutale (think I am near the end)
    7. Crash N-Sane Collection (30% through 1st game).

Also finished backlog games:
    Statik
    Superhot VR
    Mario Odyssey
    Firewatch
    Ni No Kuni

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 20:04:54 03-07-2018
  • THFourteen 4 Jul 2018 06:23:35 48,964 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

What’s the rule if you buy and finish 10 games before year end?

Surely that should allow another purchase?
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Jul 2018 09:16:07 13,642 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently not.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.