Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 155

• GuybrushFreepwood 6 Oct 2018 15:50:41 207 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Put me on three. Bought super Mario party for the switch. It's for the kids for Christmas sadly, but it's bought.

Xenoblade and breath of the wild are no longer with me.
  • Phattso 6 Oct 2018 16:01:25 23,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd have let you off that one, but since you're only on three you don't need the help. :D
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 Oct 2018 16:25:25 207 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Yeah, only game I've bought myself this year is Okami, but I've still tons to play and Diablo 3 will be out soon and smash brothers and Civ... But I think that should be about it.

Anyway, I'll be playing Mario Party in the end. No way will my wife and I not get dragged into it. It looks fun...as long as I win!
  • Phattso 8 Oct 2018 15:28:22 23,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    FUCKING KNEW IT! STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH ON THE FRONT PAGE:

"Pete Hines: So things like Mooncrash or Death of the Outsider, whether they're DLC for an existing game - we view Death of the Outsider as DLC that just happens to be standalone."

IT'S. A. FUCKING. DLC.

Excellent. Who was it that was forced - by the baying crowd of literal wronguns - to count Death of the Outsider as not DLC? Well guess what? Justice. Fucking justice. That's what. You're getting that bad boy back. \o/

High fives for Team What's Right is Right. Fucking get in.
  • macmurphy 8 Oct 2018 15:38:42 3,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím not counting that NES shite. They may be classics but Iíd rather stick root vegetables up my japís eye. They just sit forlornly on my dashboard.

Mario Partyís probably going to get got though, which only leaves me one game. Iím starting to flap. Those random purchases earlier in the year are biting me on the arse.
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Oct 2018 15:53:58 5,144 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, my postponed house move last year might be happening next month, which means I've had to cancel Dark Souls and Pokemon pre-orders. I might not end up getting anything else now until Christmas as I'll have little time to play anything!
  • THFourteen 8 Oct 2018 16:13:34 49,827 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interestingly 3 out of the 7 games i bought this year turned out to be poor choices.

Think i'm pretty much done for the year. BattleTech DLC, should see me through to birthday+xmas when i'll put Mario Party (for the kids) and Torna (for me) on the list, taking me up to 7+2 for the year, not bad going!
  • Dirt3 8 Oct 2018 16:18:45 376 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

"Pete Hines: So things like Mooncrash or Death of the Outsider, whether they're DLC for an existing game - we view Death of the Outsider as DLC that just happens to be standalone."

IT'S. A. FUCKING. DLC.

Excellent. Who was it that was forced - by the baying crowd of literal wronguns - to count Death of the Outsider as not DLC? Well guess what? Justice. Fucking justice. That's what. You're getting that bad boy back. \o/

The terminology is nonsense to me. "Content" implies content for another game - ie you play it as content from within another game. "Standalone" implies you don't need another game to play it. So the terminology "Down Loadable Content" and "Standalone" is incompatible (at least to me). And it makes no sense from a user perspective either. Because a user is going to be scratching their head saying to themselves "it's DLC and therefore it needs the original game to play it - that's what DLC normally means" but "it's standalone" and therefore it doesn't. So which is it ?

What they should have done IMO is call it neither. Something like Game Extension Pack, which they could have used and defined a description for that lies outside of established understanding.
  • Derblington 8 Oct 2018 16:28:24 31,146 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You're still wrong though :)
  • Vortex808 8 Oct 2018 16:30:49 12,712 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    \o/

Fucking sweet. DoTO is officially DLC now (as it should have been and always bloody was)?

JUSTICE AT LAST for the Vortex one!!

Please bump me back down one Phattso!
  • Nazo 8 Oct 2018 16:30:53 841 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No wonder Arkane don't sell many games with that sort of wrong think influencing things.
  • Vortex808 8 Oct 2018 16:31:45 12,712 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D

Back to 3, despite the naysayers.

Oh Yeah!
  • Dirt3 8 Oct 2018 16:39:56 376 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lol - I don't care really.

But I do think it is a bit silly calling it both. It's one or the other or something different that he gets to define.
  • Phattso 8 Oct 2018 17:16:20 23,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    WHY DO YOU HATE JUSTICE SO MUCH, USER Dirt3? WHY?!
  • Nazo 8 Oct 2018 17:30:15 841 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the baying mob no longer sets the rules I don't see much of a future for this thread's leader
  • Singularity 9 Oct 2018 10:39:44 2,812 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's a very minor point as I have bought about a hundred games this year, but I have been following all your progress. And you all just inspired me to cancel RDR2, as I still have about 5 AAA PS4 games I'm trying to get properly into, and I really don't need another.

So cheers.
  • Derblington 9 Oct 2018 10:41:47 31,146 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Crazy fool. RDR is going to be one you should play.
  • Singularity 9 Oct 2018 10:54:20 2,812 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't really like GTA-types very much, and I have God of War, Spidey, Persona 5, Astro-Bot, Detroit, Fire Pro,, Hyper Light Drifter, Hollow Knight, Dragon Ball FighterZ etc etc all sitting there glaring at me.

Edited by Singularity at 11:00:53 09-10-2018
  • Phattso 9 Oct 2018 11:07:30 23,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Your story has touched my heart, but where do you fall on the great Death of the Outsider debate? DLC or Standalone or Expandalone? Justice (JUSTICE!) is at stake here.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 9 Oct 2018 11:21:31 1,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

IT'S. A. FUCKING. DLC.

I counted it as one all along Phattso. I knews I was bloody right, both legally and ethically. Cast out the ignorant heathens.
  • Vortex808 9 Oct 2018 11:21:40 12,712 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can dig avoiding RDR2- I'm doing that too. I always hate the controls of GTA games, but got sucked into the hype for RDR and GTA4/5 and ended up playing them for a bit before getting bored and ditching them.

I did finish RDR, which I enjoyed (more spaghetti western games would be nice), but the controls really bugged me more than they should so I'm sitting this one out.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 9 Oct 2018 11:23:26 1,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hang on hang on. The important question is.

Is Warhammer Total War II DLC or standalone?
  • monkman76 9 Oct 2018 11:35:55 13,541 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Death of the Outsider thing was never difficult - if you already own the main game, it's DLC. If you've never played the main game, DotO counts as a game. It's neither rocket science nor brain surgery.
  • Singularity 9 Oct 2018 11:47:44 2,812 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Phattso DLC. But I also think Torna is Xenoblade 2 DLC, even though its standalone and separate.

Monkman has just phrased it much better than I could hope to.

Edited by Singularity at 11:49:22 09-10-2018
  • Vortex808 9 Oct 2018 13:12:37 12,712 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    The Death of the Outsider thing was never difficult - if you already own the main game, it's DLC. If you've never played the main game, DotO counts as a game. It's neither rocket science nor brain surgery.
    A reasonable and sensible post. A view agreed by some, but there was a strong cabal of dissenters who foisted an unjust decision upon me to count it as a new game. This also impacted on others no doubt, who should throw off the yoke of injustice and assume the robes of the righteous.

It has a +1 stat bonus for game purchases this year. 😀
  • Dombat 9 Oct 2018 13:13:37 1,400 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm also thinking of skipping RDR2, at least at release. Rockstar's games have never really resonated with me that much. I think the GTA games are fine but I don't love them.

The setting is appealing I guess but I'm very fussy when it comes to open world games and I think a lot of it would be just buying into the hype, for me.
  • Dirt3 9 Oct 2018 17:41:49 376 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    "It's neither rocket science nor brain surgery.
    Agreed, it's cheating.

At the gathering at the end of the year, the righteous will step forward.

The ultra righteous will point the finger at the almost but not quite righteous and say "begone you people of lesser standard".

Which group do you want to be in ?

a) Completer of the challenge, who is held in high regard, is allowed to bear the official acronym and whose willpower is equal to that of the best of humanity.

or :

b) Completer of the challenge*.

{* well according to most people but not quite all because some believe DOTO should be classed as a separate game}
  • Vortex808 11 Oct 2018 12:49:59 12,712 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OK, Phattso, apologies for the extra work, having just bumped me down one game, but could you bump me back up to 4 please?

Having had the high of the shackles of injustice being removed, I went on a purchasing spree and bought Halo- Master Chief Collection the other night.

I am enjoying it immensely- it seems a bit odd that the aged and somewhat janky original Halo is grabbing me more than the 2016 Doom re-boot I have been slogging away at in small sections. I think the MCC will keep me busy until BFV, and through the xmas hols too. So I should finish the year on 5 or 6 games with luck/willpower usage. Even if I pick up LiS2 in the xmas sales (I hope!).

Quite a surprisingly low purchase level, given my usual impulse buying, so this thread has been well worth it.

Next year might be tougher though, I think there are quite a lot I'd like to play then. Unless I have learnt to rein in my excessive game buying to playing time ratios!

Happy days.
  • Phattso 11 Oct 2018 13:09:52 23,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Isnít the MCC counted as four games?

\runs
  • Jono62 11 Oct 2018 13:31:34 20,970 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Vortex808 Considering whenever we would play Gears, you would be adding a game to your backlog every time, you have done well :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.