Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 163

• THFourteen 29 Nov 2018 10:43:13 50,250 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen's 2018 Purchase List:

1) Dragon Quest Builder (Decent - not completed)
    2) Labo (Meh - Not completed)
    3) BattleTech (GOTY - completed)
    4) FM Touch 18 (Decent - not completed)
    5) Destiny 2 (Great! ongoing)
    6) Octopath Traveller (Abandoned)
    7) Paw Patrol (for the boy)
    8) Pokemon Letís Go (Ordered)
    9) Torna (TBC)
    10) Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 (Ordered)
    10+1) PES 2019 (not played much)
    10+2) FIFA 19 (Ace, already played for hours and hours)
    Bought Lego Marvel 2 for £18 using the ebay coupon that's knocking around. Again its really to see if the boy will play with me, he's quite into the lego cartoon shorts at the moment.

So that's me done for the year although i can pick up the Rabbids and BattleTech DLC if i want. I think next year the boy can have his own list as he's taken up 3 slots on mine!!
  • Phattso 29 Nov 2018 10:44:19 24,144 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you get desperate Iím willing to let you off Paw Patrol. :)
  • Phattso 29 Nov 2018 10:44:39 24,144 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Adjudication required: R-Type Dimensions EX on Switch. Have it digitally on the 360 but donít have the console any more. Is it a double dip or a new game? :)
    Have at it, monsters.
  • monkman76 29 Nov 2018 10:47:36 13,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm past caring at this point. Seems reasonable I suppose.
  • THFourteen 29 Nov 2018 10:50:44 50,250 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    If you get desperate Iím willing to let you off Paw Patrol. :)
    heh cheers, but realistically with pokemon and torna to come, i have already got more games than i have time for, especially given i have diablo 3 double dipped too.

I'm calling it for 2018.

R-type sounds double dippy to me.

Edited by THFourteen at 10:51:07 29-11-2018
  • dominalien 29 Nov 2018 10:55:52 8,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For a minute there I thought Iíd need to bump myself to 2, as I got Beat Saber this Sunday, but it turns out I donít. The first 2 hours were brilliant, but I havenít felt the need to go back and itís not a game Iíll ever feel the need to play at length and ďcompleteĒ. I know Iíll play some when we have people around, but thatís about it.

My family is playing though, so itís not a total waste.
  • Vortex808 29 Nov 2018 11:45:26 12,884 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    Adjudication required: R-Type Dimensions EX on Switch. Have it digitally on the 360 but donít have the console any more. Is it a double dip or a new game? :)
    Have at it, monsters.
    1 vote for Double dip.

If you own it somewhere else, it's a double dip in my book no matter if it is on another system. It is a game you have already played.
  • Technoishmatt 29 Nov 2018 15:48:40 2,975 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DD

Also, add one more for me: the Room for iOS at $1. I will also get the other two, but will definitely count as a bundle :)

Also, just donít see reason to buy full fat AAA releases when I still have Titanfall 2 and Ghost Recon Wildlands. I mean, look at how amazing that game is...

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/technoishmatt/video/64529758
  • ghearoid 2 Dec 2018 21:58:48 3,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Phattso

Bump me up to six games, please. I've been given Valkyria Chronicles 4 for Christmas. I'll be saving it to play in the new year though as I'm busy catching Pokťmon for now and with Smash around the corner I won't have time for it.

Eighteen games + various DLC completed this year though which must be some kind of record for me! :)
  • whatfruitlivesagain 3 Dec 2018 12:23:00 1,443 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    I do not know how many games I am on but I bought Warhammer Total War 2 on Tuesday. I to bagged it for the princely sum of £9.99 so I'm chuffed.

EDIT:

1. ShadowRun returns
    2. Doom
    3. Call of Juarez Gunslinger
    4. Dishonored
    5. Dishonored 2 & Death of The Outsider - I'm counting it as one.
    6. Warhammer Total War 2
    I had a bargain hunt on G2A yesterday picked up Hitman, Shadow Tactics, War for the Overworld and Dungeons 3 for just over £10.

That puts me on 10 will probs pick up an FPS if I see one on sale. Overall I'm pretty happy with my challenge despite the Dishonored 2 DOTO conditions wrangling earlier in the year. The big surprise is I have bought nothing for my switch. Its just been sat gathering dust like a neglected toy. I don't foresee buying anything for it for Christmas because it looks all wank
  • Phattso 3 Dec 2018 12:30:27 24,144 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @monkman76

monkman76 wrote:
    I'm not sure I'll take part in the updated version next year. I've realised that I often don't finish games despite putting hours into them, and thus in my opinion getting my money's worth.

For example this year I've absolutely loved Hollow Knight and am very pleased I bought it - but I'm not sure I'll ever finish it, I haven't played it for several weeks now
    and don't know if I can face returning to it.

Similarly RDR2 - already put maybe 15-20 hours in and thoroughly enjoyed it, but the game is so massive (I'm probably 25% in maximum) and I can already feel my interest waning a little.
    I think the 'rules' next year will be a lot more flexible in this regard. What was evident this year is that (of course) everyone values games in different ways. This challenge was a reflection of what I needed and - to a decent extent - it worked for me.

But what it cost me were the sub ten hour experiences, the experiences, most VR releases, and my annual purchase of FIFA just to play The Journey.

I reckon with people defining what it is they intend to get from a game up front, you could get what you need. But of course if you get shitloads of stuff and barely scratch the surface (much less complete) then you'd rightfully fail.

Sticking a coupla dozen hours into a game and then moving on isn't the behaviour I was specifically trying to 'fix' this year. It was the stuffing of the backlog and then barely even finishing the prologue on games. Or bouncing off at the first annoyance.

Anyways, I reckon we can kick off the debate this week on what we all want from next year - or if we even want to do it again at all!
  • rice_sandwich 3 Dec 2018 14:19:18 4,910 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I reckon it's good to have a form of accountability to curb our worst game buying impulses. Ten games was a good idea and a fine start to reining in the bad habits. The hard limit certainly worked for me this year but I wouldn't do it again due to its various downsides.

Next year I want to:

- Buy about the amount of games I have time to play properly

- Buy better games / games that I feel are worth my time and are worth a full playthrough. This of course presupposes that a game is capable of maintaining interest right to the end. Many games are not due to uneven pacing, filler content etc.

- Less jumping on games that might be good but which aren't really my sort of thing. I just don't have the time to play even a quarter of the good stuff.

- Give games the time and attention they deserve but equally be happy to play nothing if nothing seems good enough at the time.
  • kosigan 6 Dec 2018 12:06:07 664 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's been an interesting exercise, but its drawbacks have become apparent over the year, the main one being equating a £4 short indie game with a £60-£90 AAA 60-hour game.

Anyway, for this year's version, I've downloaded OnRush (courtesy of PS+). Not played it yet, but I intend to. The beta was enough to get me interested, just not interested enough to put down £60 for it. As with a lot of other people, I imagine, hence why it's on PS+ so soon.

I suspect the Christmas/January sale will blow my limit, as I'm now on 10 already.
  • ghearoid 6 Dec 2018 14:12:33 3,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Phattso

Right, bump me up to 7 games please. Smash Ultimate is preloaded and waiting.

I think that's it for me. Can't really think of anything else I want, even on sale.
  • Phattso 6 Dec 2018 16:02:12 24,144 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    kosigan wrote:
    It's been an interesting exercise, but its drawbacks have become apparent over the year, the main one being equating a £4 short indie game with a £60-£90 AAA 60-hour game.
    In fairness, that drawback was well known from the start. The 2018 effort was definitely (for me) a massive over-correction to try and smack me out of bad habits. 2019 should be nicely mature.

It's gonna need a name though...

Play Your Shit (2019)
    Backlogs are for Cunts (2019)
    Play What You Get (2019)
    Don't Play It And I'll Fucking Cut You (2019)
    Waste Fewer Games (2019)
    Unplayed Games Increase Carbon Footprints (2019)
    At Least Finish It FFS (2019)
    Why You're a Twat and What You Can Do To Change All That (2019)
  • ghearoid 6 Dec 2018 16:11:14 3,125 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I quite liked the shock treatment of only 10 games. It made me really think about my purchases and whether or not a game was worth taking up a slot.
  • andytheadequate 6 Dec 2018 16:16:43 9,004 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like "Don't Play It And I'll Fucking Cut You (2019)".

I fear "Why You're a Twat and What You Can Do To Change All That (2019)" would be too open ended...

I complete relatively few games, but I'm good at playing something for an hour and deciding it's shit, if that counts.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Dec 2018 16:27:05 4,910 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PLAY
    HOT
    AND
    TEMPTING
    TITLES
    SURELY
    ONLY

in 2019?
  • Vortex808 6 Dec 2018 16:48:59 12,884 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    andythejudgemental wrote:

I complete relatively few games, but I'm good at playing something for an hour and deciding it's shit.
    Fixed. :-)
  • erniewhatbert 6 Dec 2018 20:36:28 2,952 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Game 9: Ultimate Chicken Horse. Itíll probably not get another airing for months, but it was a hoot playing it among five of us last weekend and worth taking up a slot.

(I half-expect my spouse to give me Persona 5 for Christmas to compete the challenge.)
  • andytheadequate 6 Dec 2018 20:55:29 9,004 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    andythejudgemental wrote:

I complete relatively few games, but I'm good at playing something for an hour and deciding it's shit.
    Fixed. :-)
    I reread my message and your fixed one far too many times before I noticed you'd changed my name...😀

I think I start playing games looking for a reason to bin them off, especially if I got them in a bundle.
  • rice_sandwich 10 Dec 2018 10:09:47 4,910 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think I'm going to set a budget for next year's challenge and include all entertainment options in it (books, films, streaming service costs, board games etc.). It's not just games that are competing for my leisure time so it makes sense to up the ante somewhat. This will be far far harder than simply buying fewer games over 12 months.
  • JoelStinty 10 Dec 2018 11:11:47 7,012 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah Iíve reached 10. Brought Pokemon letís go and Smash last week. I did buy an iPhone game too but it lasted me an hour or so before I completed it. And it was for a flight. So I ainít counting that. 😀
  • Dougs 10 Dec 2018 11:13:35 87,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    DD

I caught sight of this randomly without reading the rest of the posts and got excited, thinking it was about Double Dragon. :(
  • Phattso 10 Dec 2018 11:50:06 24,144 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I guess we're close enough to the end to take stock now:

01: Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition (Switch, January)
    02: Into the Breach... (PC, February)
    03: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (PC, May)
    04: Destiny 2 (PC, May)
    05: Hollow Knight (Switch, July)
    06: Dead Cells (Switch, August)
    07: Bad North (Switch, August)
    08: God of War (PS4, September)
    09: Astro Bot Rescue Mission (PSVR, November)
    10: ???

That final game could be anything or nothing.

Desperately trying to avoid buying all the PSVR shit because I proved on Rift and Vive that I'll just rush through them.

So many games I've lusted over through the year - little arcade indies on the Switch, point and click adventures on the PC, some interesting remasters on the PS4, and a bunch of AAA games like Red Dead 2 that I'm glad to see don't have quite the pull on me that they have in the past.

Still, not a bad batting average in my nine games. Five indies, two double-A and two triple-A. Of the nine, most got a lot of play with the exception of Into the Breach which I bounced off at the 15 hour mark, and Bad North which was boring and shit after 4 hours.

I had four double-dips, only two of which were sensible (L.A. Noire and Sine Mora EX) and he others languish after just a couple of hours of play (FIFA 18 Switch, Steredenn Switch).

Didn't clear much of the backlog - three big open worlders and their season passes: JC3 and Ass Creed Oranges, both of which were stonking, plus Far Cry Primal which was also great but seemed very short.

Was it worth it? Thanks to Hollow Knight, yes it was. It demonstrated that I'm not quite as shit at games as I thought (but, to be clear, still shit) and that there's something to be said for a game that hangs you out to dry and demands a bit more. It absolutely absorbed me for most of the summer. A side bonus was God of War. Generally I'd have raced through the storyline and then moved on, but the challenge forced me into the end game and I found something quite superior where I wasn't expecting to.

So. Lessons learned. Bad habits squashed. Mind opened. A few casualties along the way, but on balance well worth it.

But I'll probably still fail the challenge, because I have the rest of December off and there's no way I'm not buying all the games. :-D
  • SnackPlissken 10 Dec 2018 12:08:37 457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I've failed massively.

Metal Gear Sold Twin Snakes
    Jet Force Gemini
    Metroid Prime Echos
    Spiderman
    God of War
    The Thing
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    WWE 2K19
    Ni No Kuni 2
    Pokemon Let's Go
    Steampunk World
    Into The Breach
    Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy
    Oxenfree
    Thimbleweed Park
    Hollow Knight
    Tumbleseed
    Runner3
  • richardiox 10 Dec 2018 12:13:54 7,455 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I "won" my own version of this thread which was a £20 a month limit on gaming spend, which I thought reasonable as it's basically my only hobby. Last year was expensive with new hardware purchases so needed to take it easy.

Spent about £230 on 17 games and my PSN, XBL and Gamepass subs.
  • THFourteen 10 Dec 2018 12:42:04 50,250 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @SnackPlissken

How many of that list did you "finish"
  • SnackPlissken 10 Dec 2018 14:41:22 457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @THFourteen Erm

Metal Gear Sold Twin Snakes
    Spiderman
    God of War

Oh dear. Actually nearly completed Thimbleweed Park and Red Dead Redemption 2. But they're on the I've given up on until I can be bothered...
  • GuybrushFreepwood 10 Dec 2018 15:43:07 401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    This year I've played (thoroughly, with 100's of hours between them):

Skyrim
    Zelda - Traded
    Xenoblade Chronicles - Traded
    Mario Odyssey
    Lego City Undercover

I've abandoned:

Doom 2016 - Traded. At least I tried it enough to know its not for me
    Thimbleweed Park - Digital so I'm stuck with it. Might try again on "easy"

I've bought for myself:

Diablo 3: Playing this loads
    Okami: It's not grabbed me
    Mario Party - Family love it
    Oxenfree: Was enjoying this until Diablo 3 turned up

Bought for others:
    Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu: Xmas present for my wife
    Worms - Bought for the kids: I remembered a better game than this was and the kids haven't looked twice at it.
    Lego Harry Potter: Xmas present for kids

Been tempted by loads of things and we're it not for this thread I'd have had a load of digital stuff as its just too easy to get them in a sale. Human Fall Flat and Warlock of Firetop mountain have been two I've kept looking at.

Smash Bros might be my next purchase, but I'm not 100%. It will only be the case if my family really want it I think.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.