Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 167

Next Last
  • DangerousDave_87 27 Dec 2018 22:13:10 5,639 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well done, all! I managed to make it all the way to June without buying a game, but imploded and made all 10 in 5 of the remaining 6 months.

It's been a cheap year for me, which was needed given I'd bought a Switch and 23(?) games the year before. My backlog sits at just two games now and I'm definitely going to keep it that low going into the new challenge. Chances are I'll end up buying twice as many games, but this challenge should see that I keep on top of the backlog indefinitely.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 22:13:45 27-12-2018
  • crashVoodoo 28 Dec 2018 18:21:26 6,197 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bought RDR 2 ... Takes me to 9 for the year.

A win by all accounts though definitely saved by skirting the DLC doesn't count rule.

Guess I cannae do that on the next challenge

Edited by crashVoodoo at 18:23:49 28-12-2018
  • Phattso 29 Dec 2018 11:07:25 24,470 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Glad I left myself on 9 as I crumpled like a lower league footballer in a cup final and bought Celeste for Switch since Iím out and about visiting family and needed something fresh for the downtime.

Normally I wouldnít go for something well known for being bastard hard but Hollow Knight has taught me a little patience, so Iím going to give it a solid go. Is the challenge paying an unexpected sort of dividend? Hereís hoping!
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Dec 2018 11:15:35 5,494 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Phattso you can make it easier without any penalty if you wanted.
  • Phattso 29 Dec 2018 11:42:09 24,470 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 tell me more (although Iím holding my own so far!)... :)
  • THFourteen 31 Dec 2018 09:31:03 51,185 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen's 2018 Purchase List:

1) Dragon Quest Builder (Decent - not completed)
    2) Labo (Meh - Not completed)
    3) BattleTech (GOTY - completed)
    4) FM Touch 18 (Decent - not completed)
    5) Destiny 2 (Great! ongoing)
    6) Octopath Traveller (Abandoned)
    7) Paw Patrol (for the boy)
    8) Pokemon Letís Go (Completed)
    9) Torna (Not started)
    10) Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 (not played)
    10+1) PES 2019 (not played much)
    10+2) FIFA 19 (Ace, already played for hours and hours)
    Final update of the year from me with Pokemon Elite 4 completed. Given I bought Paw Patrol and Marvel to play with the boy, and I havenít started Torna yet, itís foe next year, I think Iíve done ok, altho there are quite a few games in there that Iíve bought and not played so maybe I still need to be more careful.

I am a sucker for Football Managers, the idea of them is always better than the time I want to invest in them. I wonít be buying PES this year either. And Labo isnít even a fucking game Altho I may get some use out of them if I bother to build the house.
  • Vortex808 31 Dec 2018 10:07:39 13,070 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've bought Life is Strange ep 1 in the xmo xbl sale, so should be bumped up to 6.

It will get played as part of next year's challenge. Tempted by metro redux for last light, but resisting so far. Mostly due to my only playing BF V through the hols!
  • ghearoid 31 Dec 2018 10:36:03 3,187 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh yes, it's the end of year so let's have a final reckoning.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - didn't enjoy it so traded it in for...
    Splatoon 2 - enjoyed it but never got around to playing it regularly so traded it in for...
    Kirby Star Allies - love it, often return to it for a replay.
    Mario Tennis Aces - enjoyed it, completed all the single player content, still play regularly.
    Pokťmon Let's Go Eevee - loved it, completed it, first time I've ever bothered to finish my pokťdex.
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Christmas present from my sister, love it, already put in 80+ hours, I'll probably play it forever.
    Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Christmas present from my nephew, barely started as it was a present so this will be my Q1 game.

I also bought DLC for Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and completed all of it. Busy year! :)

All in all, I reckon I spent about £150 in total which was mostly PayPal money anyway so I'm happy with my relative restraint this year.
  • ghearoid 31 Dec 2018 10:38:27 3,187 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Forgot to add that I completed 19 games this year so it's nice to have chipped away at some of the backlog too. It's looking positively demure now. :)
  • Rodderz 31 Dec 2018 10:52:41 3,702 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The end of the year has crept up on me, last day of 2018 already! I didn't get round to purchasing any January sale games yet, so looks like my final tally for 2018 was (drum roll);

1. Ratchet & Clank (PS+) - Completed
    2. XCOM 2 (PS+) - Completed
    3. Divinity Original Sin 2 - Completed
    4. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Completed
    5. Prey - been playing this over Christmas and enjoying it, should be completed soon.

=🏆Rodderz (thanks for the shiny Phattso, Heh!)

Only numbers 3, 4 & 5 were direct purchases, with Divinity OS2 & Red Dead 2 bought from launch at full price, so that's frankly remarkable for me. I saved a decent amount of cash too, so I purchased a PS4 Pro back in early October and have some money put aside for a 4K telly upgrade at some point, so not bad going.

I've cleared an awful lot of backlog during the year to the point I don't think I have any previously purchased games to dip into now! I still have a reasonably healthy dose of PS+ stuff available but not all of which interests me, so I'm admittedly going to be a little more indulgent in 2019!

Thanks for the thread of 2018 Phattso! Through all the tears, tantrums and meltdowns, it's been fun :D.
  • Dombat 31 Dec 2018 11:30:59 1,528 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm hitting 10 today as I'm installing RDR2 and about to play for the first time.
  • Red_Bool 1 Jan 2019 21:44:12 1,744 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I couldn't resist anymore yesterday and bought 2 more games, in the Nintendo sale: Dead Cells (finally) and Lumines remastered (less than 10 euro, how could one resist). Lumines is actually a double-dip, as I already own it on PSP (somewhere in the attic).
    So on December 31st my grand total of games bought is 5.

Thanks a lot Phattso, for giving us a proper challenge last year (and one of the most entertaining threads :)).
  • dominalien 1 Jan 2019 22:02:09 9,045 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My final tally for 2018 is 1 bought (God of War) and 14 completed (including the GoW). I managed to finish the latest Phoenix Wright on the 29th and was hoping to do Persona 4 yesterday, but only managed today. Oh, well, one game down this year already.

Looking forward to the new challenge of 2019. :-)
  • Murbs 2 Jan 2019 08:55:26 24,206 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm proud of you all, having failed so massively myself. The only 2 games I 'finished' this year were in the run up to my first purchase (DMC and Tearaway) though I've put a lot of time into run based games and about another 50 hours on Rocket League.

No excuses though, 2019 needs to be better.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.