Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018) Page 3

• Rajin 2 Nov 2017 00:07:25 764 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am in as well, I have been attempting to finish more games and not continue buying up more.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Nov 2017 00:08:50 3,201 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As much as the wife would love me to only buy ten new games next year I imagine I will fail by February so will stick with the 52 games even though I have never completed it. (It does gove me incentive to complete some of my shorter backlog games anongst my usual 50hr+ monsters though).
  • rice_sandwich 2 Nov 2017 07:10:13 4,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've been thinking and this is going to be tougher than I at first thought. Even although I'm pretty much a Switch only gamer, it's going to be hard to choose which indie and virtual console games to get, if any. It might even mean that I'll have to decide, for example, whether to get the Switch version of Yoshi OR the Switch version of Kirby. A face off the merits of Kirby and Yoshi...hmmm.

It's not like they'll be unavailable if I don't get them right away, but that kind of approach is a big change for me.

2018 potential buys are (if released):

1. Animal Crossing (a day 1 must buy)
    2. Yoshi Switch
    3. Kirby Switch
    4. Story of Seasons Switch
    5. Pikmin 4
    6. Smash Bros Switch
    7. Xenoblade 2

That only leaves 3 spaces for new ip, currently unannounced games and interesting indies.
  • Phattso 2 Nov 2017 07:13:47 23,873 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think the interesting thing about this thread will be at what point we throw in the towel, and which straw breaks the camelís back.

Iíd be stunned if anyone that has the same or similar issues as me actually gets to the end. Iíll be stunned if I myself get to the end.
    But damnit, Iím gonna try!

Edited by Phattso at 07:14:20 02-11-2017
  • rice_sandwich 2 Nov 2017 07:20:30 4,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Phattso

FFS! We haven't even started yet. You're not allowed to fail! You're the one that started all this! Imagine if Christopher Columbus had turned back, if Mark Zuckerberg had decided to stay in bed (if only....), if Grace Murray Hopper took up knitting instead.

I expect a full year of pious commitment, nothing less! You're the official poster boy for this now.
  • THFourteen 2 Nov 2017 07:22:44 49,827 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iím in by default.

Probably only get through 10 games a year in general. Stuff like Xenoblade takes me two months to complete.

Going to exclude FIFA and PES from this tho as I buy them every year and play sporadically.
  • markytonline83 2 Nov 2017 07:57:22 880 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Count me in. I'll be using games still wrapped in the pile of shame, like Dishonoured 2 and some new releases.

Will I only play 10 games next year? Hell no! But I will try and saviour and complete 10 games as I'm very guilty of moving on to the next new thing that catches my eye.
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Nov 2017 08:15:29 5,144 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @rice_sandwich You haven't even counted Pinball FX 3!
  • rice_sandwich 2 Nov 2017 08:19:30 4,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

2017 release and all dlc so it won't count! I hope you'll be getting at least Excalibur to pick up the high score battles again.
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Nov 2017 09:42:49 5,144 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I just saw the news on the front page. I didn't realise it was 2017! I certainly will be picking it up! :D
  • Phattso 2 Nov 2017 09:48:52 23,873 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich look, I'm really going to try to be strong. I really, really, am. But if Valve break their silence and release their Top Secret VR game(s) then I'll just have no choice but to buy them all (despite no doubt being 15 minutes long, like all VR games). :)

Joking aside, I reckon this is doable. I have The Witcher 3 (and its expansions!) sitting at a mere 25 hours played. I have Fallout 4 at 2 hours (because it's shite). I'm veeeery close to picking up Prey and Dishono(u)red 2 in the sales, neither of which is short... so I'll have a healthy backlog going into 2018. I'm going to try to avoid 'stocking up' in the Christmas sales, but one or two purchases are inevitable.

So it's all a bit nudge-nudge-wink-wink... but only buying 10 new games will STILL be bloody tough, even if only because it has become habitual for me. It'll be like quitting smoking the first time, or (what I imagine it would be like to be) quitting booze. :)
  • the_dudefather 2 Nov 2017 09:49:29 10,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Go on, count me in

The challenge for me will be the need to be a lot more selective when it comes to sales
  • Phattso 2 Nov 2017 09:51:14 23,873 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    The challenge for me will be the need to be a lot more selective when it comes to sales
    I just need to not "stock up" as an instinctive reaction every time a sale rolls around. :) . It's not a matter of being selective for me, it's a matter of avoiding them full stop... oh god, this is going to be a disaster...
  • rice_sandwich 2 Nov 2017 09:58:51 4,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I guess a good way of planning might be to look at how you've done this year. How many games did you buy, how many did you finish, how many did you start then put down, how many are still unopened etc. More importantly, what were the reasons for doing so?

Did you buy shiny new game A just because it got good reviews, did you imagine an ideal world where you have loads of free time and energy for gaming, or did you just take a hopeful punt on a good looking game that ultimately disappointed etc?
  • the_dudefather 2 Nov 2017 09:59:42 10,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If the problem with '52 games in 52 weeks' was the incentive to mostly play short games to bulk out the list, wonder if the problem with this challenge be 'only buy the longest games possible'

'Played time in the Steam reviews is in the thousands of hours? sounds good to me!'
  • Switch024 2 Nov 2017 10:03:19 2,985 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know we've not actually started yet but... The PS Plus sale is staring at me. HELP!
  • Switch024 2 Nov 2017 10:07:20 2,985 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    If the problem with '52 games in 52 weeks' was the incentive to mostly play short games to bulk out the list, wonder if the problem with this challenge be 'only buy the longest games possible'

'Played time in the Steam reviews is in the thousands of hours? sounds good to me!'
    It's a problem of time for me, I just don't have anywhere near enough to play all the games that I'd like to play. Doesn't stop me buying them all though, so I end up with a huge amount of unfinished games as I spend a few hours on one before moving to the next new shiny.
  • rice_sandwich 2 Nov 2017 10:07:36 4,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I would suggest not gaming the challenge. How hard can it be to know one's own tastes and make a carefully curated selection of 10 purchases that will delight and nourish your gaming soul throughout 2018?

Err...quite hard, maybe impossible if I'm honest.

On the other hand my steam list is full of quite good games that I'll never have the time to fully appreciate or possibly even try for an hour or two.

It's got to be a case of quality over quantity for me.
  • Phattso 2 Nov 2017 10:12:19 23,873 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, it did also occur to me that I might be over-correcting from the 52 games thing. :-D

But then I look at some of the things I plucked from my backlog to get to 52 this year: To The Moon; Everybody's Gone to the Rapture; Pillars of Eternity; Wasteland 2; Captain Toad; Rise of the Tomb Raider; Doom; Wolfenstein; Uncharted 4... that's a decent list, and it's only scratching the surface of my pile o'shame.

This year I trained myself out of buying new games on day of release, instead waiting for a good price. Next year I need to train myself NOT TO BUY ANYTHING NEW UNLESS I REALLY HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO PLAY. LIKE SUPER REALLY. NO TAKEBACKS.

We shall see. :)
  • Rodderz 2 Nov 2017 10:48:26 3,403 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll have a go at this as well. I'm never quite sure how many games I pick up in psn sales (bought both Doom and Pillars of Eternity in the psn sales last night), so either this will be really easy as I won't reach the limit, or I'll suddenly realise I buy more than I think...

At the very least it'll be interesting to keep a record of what I've bought during 2018! I'm already eyeing up Monster Hunter, Kingdom Come Deliverance, RDR2 and possibly Code Vein for new releases, but that could of course change. Lets do this people _o/!
  • Dombat 2 Nov 2017 11:41:06 1,401 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I could hypothetically not buy ANY games next year and not run out of games to play that I both like and haven't completed.

My backlog is that extensive.

Obviously I will buy some new games, but I think I can stick to this limit.
  • Derblington 2 Nov 2017 11:57:19 31,146 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can someone change to the thread title to 'Buying 10 games in 12 months' to make it clear to its not about only playing 10 games?
  • OnlyJoeKing 2 Nov 2017 12:36:26 758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    +1^^^

Also. I'm a little concerned about the implications already. Finding myself eying up the latest humble bundle a little more hungrily than usual. I fear a pre-abstinance binge, to stock up. This would defeat the point, no?
  • ghearoid 2 Nov 2017 13:03:40 3,060 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yes, I'm in. I've been buying less recently, but playing more.

This year I only bought Zelda and Mario Kart for my Switch and just picked up Odyssey last week and it's been bliss. Loved Zelda and put in 315 hours so far (!!) :)

Next year I'm looking at Yoshi and Fire Emblem but that's it really unless Animal Crossing releases.
  • hedben2013 2 Nov 2017 13:04:57 804 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    I think I could hypothetically not buy ANY games next year and not run out of games to play that I both like and haven't completed.

My backlog is that extensive.

Obviously I will buy some new games, but I think I can stick to this limit.
    100% this. I'd like the challenge of actually completing 10 games on my backlog, rather than the chain of abandoned games I've got this year. Not buying 10 new games would be a doddle (assuming Games With Gold don't count).
  • OnlyJoeKing 2 Nov 2017 13:08:58 758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It counts if you download them, I think is the consensus there.

Not an issue for me, I cancelled psplus a while back anyway.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Nov 2017 14:05:06 39,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I am not signing up (yet), I have the problem that I don't know anymore which games I'll really love. I expected I'd like Zelda, but I had no idea how much it would impress me. I thought I'd lova Forza 7, and I barely touched it. I bought Edith Finch out of curiosity (not a *huge* fan of most walking simulators), and it is in my 2017 top 3.

I can read reviews and forums as much as I like, I don't seem to be a good judge of my own taste in games anymore. You'd think this would get easier if you get older, but it doesn't, in my case. I need to buy 3 or 4 games to find one I really love.
  • robthehermit 2 Nov 2017 14:42:16 6,831 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Piece of piss. Sign me up. I'm not going to include GwG in the total as they're free. Anyway currently the only games I'm interested in buying next year are:

Assassins Creed Origins
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    The Surge
    Far Cry 5
    Middle Earth: Shadow of War
    State of Decay 2
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    Biomutant

Some of those are already out obviously, so we'll have to see what Father Christmas brings me. Leaves me a couple of free spaces for games that aren't on my radar (for example if they suddenly announce a remaster of RDR alongside the sequel).
  • BillMurray 2 Nov 2017 14:48:37 9,318 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In!

I've probably got enough in my pile of shame to last me the next ten years, so hopefully I'll be able to stick to 10 new purchases next year.

Edited by BillMurray at 14:49:29 02-11-2017
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 2 Nov 2017 14:56:49 1,615 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Think I've only bought 8 this year so this should be easy

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.