Lord of the Rings: THE SERIES

First Previous
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Nov 2017 16:56:43 25,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Being made now by Amazon apparently. So there.
  • Lukus 7 Nov 2017 17:00:11 23,328 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is Tom Bombadil in it?
  • Deleted user 7 November 2017 17:02:12
    Sure to be out the second GoT is finished.
  • ZuluHero 7 Nov 2017 17:05:19 8,926 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Is Tom Bombadil in it?
    Yep, wearing an amazon prime t-shirt.
  • minky-kong 7 Nov 2017 17:05:25 14,594 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    "I'm a dirty hobbit and she's a sexy elf, so she might be "Ohh, you dirty hobbit. Take off my bodkin and my jerkin." Oh yeah. Pixie ears. But that sword, what if she was a hobbit slayer? I'd just use my enchanted amulet. Yeah... yield to me, hobbit slayer. You will touch my magic cock."
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Nov 2017 17:06:00 25,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Is Tom Bombadil in it?
    The entire show is apparently going to be based on him and his little ditties.
  • Rivuzu 7 Nov 2017 17:08:25 18,383 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is it official yet though? News reporting it is just "in talks". Like, nothing concrete.
  • nickthegun 7 Nov 2017 17:08:41 82,265 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    NO BOOK SPLOIRLERS
  • Deleted user 7 November 2017 17:10:38
    hammond as gimli
  • JamboWayOh 7 Nov 2017 17:10:53 19,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Is it official yet though? News reporting it is just "in talks". Like, nothing concrete.
    Ahhh ok then, I'm currently in talks to have a shit within the next hour. Just got some finer details to sort out.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2017 17:11:27
    nickthegun wrote:
    NO BOOK SPLOIRLERS
    For those who haven't read the books, I mean, I won't spoil too much but Tom Bombadil was an enigmatic figure that lived throughout the history of Arda. He was known by the Elves as Iarwain Ben-adar ("Oldest and Fatherless" in Sindarin), who dwelt in the valley of the river Withywindle, east of the Shire.

A mysterious being, Tom lived in the depths of the Old Forest, close to the Barrow Downs. His lands were not particularly extensive, but within his domain his power over virtually everything in it was extraordinary. Tom was a paradoxical creature, one moment defeating ancient forces with hardly an effort, the next capering and singing nonsensical songs. He lived with his wife Goldberry, "Daughter of the River," far from any other settlement. Although seemingly benevolent, he took no stance against the Dark Lords.

The origins and nature of Tom Bombadil are unknown; however, he already existed when the Dark Lord came to Arda,[1] signifying he may have been alive even before the coming of the Valar. However, he may have been speaking in this instance of Melkor's second entry into Arda after he was driven out by the arrival of Tulkas, as to experience the "dark under the stars" would have only been possible after the creation of the stars, which occurred after Varda came with the other Valar to Arda.
    His role and nature in the First Age is unknown, but he must have witnessed most of the major events and battles. He also witnessed the reducing of the great forests that covered all Middle-earth, and perhaps of his powers.[2]

The level of his interactions with the outside world is also unclear; however, he seemed to have a name among many peoples and perhaps became a folkloric figure in the traditions and legends of Elves, Dwarves and Men. He has already also lived in the west much before the Elves went there and the tides were folded. It had been sometime in this period, probably, that he met the River-daughter, Goldberry, with whom he would eventually marry.[3]
  • nickthegun 7 Nov 2017 17:12:01 82,265 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    Is Tom Bombadil in it?
    The entire show is apparently going to be based on him and his little ditties.
    Series 8 e01 - e05 - aragorn, legoland and gimli run across a field after merry and pippin

Series 10 - the entmoot songs 1 - 4
  • Rivuzu 7 Nov 2017 17:17:55 18,383 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pls no fix typo, too much joy brought from one mistake nick.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Nov 2017 17:19:06 19,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'legoland'

Chortle.
  • drhickman1983 7 Nov 2017 17:40:57 6,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If it's a retalling of the main narrative it'd be rather pointless, the films were pretty amazing and would be inescapable (not sure how they managed to fuck The Hobbit up so much, but that's another topic.)

I guess a series could be more faithful, but it's not like the films took vast liberties. Well, not really. I guess some Tolkien nerds could point out every discrepancy, but on the whole it covered the main points.

There's a ton of stuff they could do from the appendices and The Silmarillion, I guess.

Post Game of Thrones would be good time for somebody to bring out a new fantasy to try and fill the void. Shame that the only fantasy authors out there are Martin and Tolkien, if only there was somebody else that wrote fantasy out there.
  • Lukus 7 Nov 2017 18:03:09 23,328 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Game of Thrones comparisons make me think it's going to be full of dwarves banging their sisters.
  • THFourteen 7 Nov 2017 20:37:38 53,819 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Is Tom Bombadil in it?
    Sweet jebus, no the boring cunt
  • THFourteen 7 Nov 2017 20:38:04 53,819 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    NO BOOK SPLOIRLERS
    ahahahahaha
  • mothercruncher 7 Nov 2017 21:59:17 17,828 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They’ve already done some early casting for Tom and his wife.

• askew 7 Nov 2017 23:41:54 21,552 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This thread was awesome up to a point.
  • Your-Mother 7 Nov 2017 23:58:39 4,471 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SpaceMonkey77 wrote:
    Most likely The Silmarillion, which would be okay & way cool for a series.

There's a lot that could be better told in the LotR universe, so why not tell all you can. Six movies have done great already, but a series with good production values, could do just as well as the movies, if not better. More characters more story & more awesome. After previous Amazon effort, I don't see how it can go wrong. not as spicy as GoT but still potentially good.

Best of luck with it, Amazon.
    Look at this ugly nonce right here.
  • damagedinc 8 Nov 2017 00:07:47 2,856 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    "I'm a dirty hobbit and she's a sexy elf, so she might be "Ohh, you dirty hobbit. Take off my bodkin and my jerkin." Oh yeah. Pixie ears. But that sword, what if she was a hobbit slayer? I'd just use my enchanted amulet. Yeah... yield to me, hobbit slayer. You will touch my magic cock."
    Kenneth is that you?
  • JamboWayOh 8 Nov 2017 00:25:25 19,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SpaceMonkey77 wrote:
    Most likely The Silmarillion, which would be okay & way cool for a series.

There's a lot that could be better told in the LotR universe, so why not tell all you can. Six movies have done great already, but a series with good production values, could do just as well as the movies, if not better. More characters more story & more awesome. After previous Amazon effort, I don't see how it can go wrong. not as spicy as GoT but still potentially good.

Best of luck with it, Amazon.
    What a great example of saying something and nothing at the same time. I'll be sure to pass on your thoughts and prayers to Amazon.
  • neilka 8 Nov 2017 01:05:56 23,404 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You may laugh but there was one day in 2014 when user SpaceMonkey77 failed to wish Berkshire Hathaway good luck with their endeavours and their share price dropped by 10% overnight.
  • Deleted user 8 November 2017 07:17:51
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Pillock wrote:
    The Silmarilion

What a great example of saying something and nothing at the same time. I'll be sure to pass on your thoughts and prayers to Amazon.
    It won't be the silmarilion. Christopher Tolkien has made it very clear that will never happen in his lifetime.

This says its a series based in the world of the Lord of the rings. There's lots they can do that's not simply a retelling of the original story.
  • mangojoe 8 Nov 2017 07:27:47 2,478 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    https://youtu.be/5rax50efCUk

Spacemonkey posts remind me of this for some reason
  • ChiefGB 8 Nov 2017 08:00:21 12,553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it going to be all the other bollox going on at the same time with the occasional back of the head shots of "legoland" and friends with copious amounts of "oh those guys", "they were here a minute ago, you must have just missed them".
  • Tonka 8 Nov 2017 08:12:16 30,893 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think it will awesome, the more fantasy / sci-fi shows the better.

BUT

Why LotR? There are so many fantasy universes to exploit so why re-visit the flogged corpse of Middle Earth? Why not
    Earthsea?
    Dara?
    The Stillness?
    Bas-Lag?
    Whatever the world in The Wheel of time is called?

Chicken shit coward decision.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.