Lord of the Rings: THE SERIES Page 4

Next Last
  • Deleted user 22 February 2019 11:40:21
    SpaceMonkey77 wrote:
    Most likely The Silmarillion, which would be okay & way cool for a series.

There's a lot that could be better told in the LotR universe, so why not tell all you can. Six movies have done great already, but a series with good production values, could do just as well as the movies, if not better. More characters more story & more awesome. After previous Amazon effort, I don't see how it can go wrong. not as spicy as GoT but still potentially good.

Best of luck with it, Amazon.
    I do miss this guy
  • Deleted user 7 March 2019 12:18:04
    /checks he's in the right thread...

Seems that the first series MAY be the last Alliance of Men and Elves (There have been more updates to the map).

From @AmazonRings:

#LotRonPrime @theoneringnet If the new map is any Indication of what the first season of @LOTRonPrime is going to be and if we take the map as read, it can only be the founding of Gondor and the last alliance Of elves and men, Here's why ...

The realm of Gondor and its Citadels Minas Anor and Minis Ithil were founded in the second age 3320 after the fall of Numenor, these places are on Amazon's map...

Dol Guldor is not on the map nor is Angmar, these appear roughly after the year 1000 of the Third age, Amon Sul also appears on the map but was destroyed in 1409. Events must take place before these dates...

According to the tale Of years in appendix A of the lord Of The rings, nothing Of real importance happens between the founding of Gondor and the founding of dol Guldor except the last alliance of men and elves in the second age. Ladies and gentlemen we have our first series.

Edited by GuybrushFreepwood at 12:25:07 07-03-2019
  • mangojoe 7 Mar 2019 12:21:36 2,467 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have they said when they are likely to start filming or for it to air?
  • Deleted user 7 March 2019 12:28:25
    @mangojoe Amazon exec Jennifer Salke has said they are aiming for 2021, but some hope 2020.

Script writing is underway and there are rumours casting is too. Location scouts have been in Scotland as it sounds like New Zealand discussions may not have worked out. They have to start production by November this year as that was the deal.
  • Sideshow 7 Mar 2019 19:08:42 36 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New map on the twitter feed today
  • jimnastics 7 Mar 2019 20:57:17 1,666 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I spent 2 or 3 years obsessing over The Hobbit the moment it was announced, following all the gossip, production video blogs (which were great) etc. etc. only to be somewhat let down by the films. I know I'm going to do the same again with this, in fact I've already started :D Let's hope this lives up to expectations, because I can't fucking wait.

Edited by jimnastics at 20:57:34 07-03-2019
  • Alastair 7 Mar 2019 23:23:30 24,018 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I never bothered watching the second and third Hobbit movies because the first was so meh.
    Such a disappointment..
  • Lukus 7 Mar 2019 23:30:14 22,545 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The first two had moments of brilliance that wouldn't have been out of place in the Rings trilogy. Unfortunately they also had a lot of running from one thing to the another, a lot of padding and a lot of jarring CGI and they didn't really work very well overall.

I'd argue the 2nd one is worth watching for Smaug, but the 3rd one is genuinely shit.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2019 10:47:59
    FYI, its been confirmed by Amazon that this series will start in the Second Age before the fall of Numenor. So, it will be Isuldur, Elendil, Ar-Pharazon, the rise of Sauron, the creation of the Rings, the rise of Angmar and the Last Alliance of Men and Elves.

Hell of a lot better than the "Aragorn wandering around in the wilderness" that I had once worried it might be.
  • Alastair 8 Mar 2019 11:00:12 24,018 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    FYI, its been confirmed by Amazon that this series will start in the Second Age before the fall of Numenor. So, it will be Isuldur, Elendil, Ar-Pharazon, the rise of Sauron, the creation of the Rings, the rise of Angmar and the Last Alliance of Men and Elves.
    That would make sense really. It's the backstory to LotR that people are aware of from the films, but don't know the details. I put myself in this category - now I actually need to consider how I watch Prime stuff on the main TV, never having watched anything on Prime so far. I'm guessing my NowTV stick will have it covered...
  • Zerobob 8 Mar 2019 11:18:24 2,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I never bothered watching the second and third Hobbit movies because the first was so meh.
    Such a disappointment..
    It could have so easily been a single film. I read the Hobbit again about a year ago last Christmas, after first reading it as a child, and I was a little surprised by how whimsical and straight forward the narrative is.

The "Battle of the Five Armies" for example, is really quite brief and for part of it Bilbo, the protagonist, isn't even conscious - he's just a non-influential passenger - so how important are the details of this battle to the overall story? Not very.

Regardless, they managed to make a drearily long film about this single event, which was utterly the wrong decision. You did yourself a favour skipping the second and third movies.
  • disusedgenius 8 Mar 2019 11:30:03 10,319 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    It could have so easily been a single film. I read the Hobbit again about a year ago last Christmas, after first reading it as a child, and I was a little surprised by how whimsical and straight forward the narrative is.
    The narrative is straight forward but as an adaptation it is, imo, harder than LotR. It's a series of kids bedtime stories with no attention span so every chapter is new location to establish, new character and so on.

It should have been a TV series, basically, it's not suited to film at all.

Edited by disusedgenius at 11:33:49 08-03-2019
  • Deleted user 8 March 2019 13:53:00
    @Alastair NowTV doesn't have Amazon Prime Video app, which surprises me.
    (http://web.static.nowtv.com/images/docs/apps-on-the-now-tv-box-stick-uk-jan-19.pdf)
  • jimnastics 8 Mar 2019 14:32:32 1,666 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Potential for utter greatness right there, I couldn't have asked for anything more. The wait is going to be so hard :eek:
  • Deleted user 8 March 2019 14:46:20
    @jimnastics Yep. Like you, I'll be googling the hell out of this for updates between now and whenever, just like I did with LOTR.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2019 13:44:32
    Just an aside on this one. Apparently Amazon are making an MMO based on Lord of The Rings. People from Everquest and WoW are involved.
  • Zyrr 13 Jul 2019 23:14:12 414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks like that will be killing off Lord of the Rings Online then, and they hadn't released the Mordor expansion all that long ago - maybe 18 months? It's had a good run, mind.
  • Lukus 14 Jan 2020 21:18:28 22,545 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://instagram.com/lotronprime?igshid=1xhn2c095zheb

They've started announcing the cast on social media...
  • Lukus 14 Jan 2020 21:47:50 22,545 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And predictably there's a bunch of wankers getting upset that a couple of the cast are black. 'Respect the canon'.
  • docrob 14 Jan 2020 22:10:10 1,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    And predictably there's a bunch of wankers getting upset that a couple of the cast are black. 'Respect the canon'.
    Eh? Where in Tolkien's work did he specify what colour everyone's skin was?

I liked what they did with The Witcher - used black, white and asian actors more or less interchangeably. Racism is a strong theme in The Witcher games and books, but between humans and nonhumans...
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Jan 2020 22:23:41 22,213 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    KEEP MINIS ITHIL WHITE.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jan 2020 22:53:20 22,150 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Idris Elba confirmed as Aragorn. Midget from Bad Santa as Gimli.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Jan 2020 22:57:26 22,213 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ru Paul as Gandalf is a bold choice.
  • Lukus 14 Jan 2020 22:58:19 22,545 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think you mean sexy
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jan 2020 00:05:31 22,150 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Leslie Jones as Tom Bombadil is pretty inspired.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.