The worldwide Nazi/White Supremacist problem

First Previous
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 12 Nov 2017 13:00:04 47,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I feel like discussion of all the Nazi and white supremacist shit that's been going on has only been in the "What's America's Problem?" thread, but to be fair on America it seems to be a troubling worldwide rise.

60,000 people took part in a Nazi-organised march in Poland yesterday, where they chanted slogans and held up banners that read "“Clean Blood", “Europe Will Be White" and "Pray for Islamic Holocaust".

What's more it seems to be state supported:

Poland is the only country in the EU that didn’t experience a single quarter of economic contraction after the financial crisis.

Still, the fear that Poland is under siege by distant elites has captured the imagination of some here, as has the worry that hordes of immigrants could soon pour over the border. Government-controlled media broadcasts near-nightly reports on crimes committed by Muslims in Europe. On Saturday, Polish state television called the procession a “great march of patriots.
    So are we past the "ignore them and they'll go away" and "violence will only embolden them" stage yet?
  • Malek86 12 Nov 2017 13:06:04 8,255 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's hardly just Poland. The migrant crisis seems to be seen in an (even) worse light in Eastern Europe countries in general. Extreme right parties are the ones who usually focus on the issue with less than pleasant terms, so more and more people have started going their way.

I wonder why Eastern Europe in particular though. Is it the old shadow of USSR occupation?

Edited by Malek86 at 13:08:51 12-11-2017
  • richarddavies 12 Nov 2017 13:09:06 6,608 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So what's there general thinking then/outlook on life?

that being brown is just a lifestyle choice they don't agree with?
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Nov 2017 13:15:21 9,974 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    0.1% of Poland's population is Muslim.

They certainly need Islamic pogroms as soon as possible.
  • Frogofdoom 12 Nov 2017 13:17:37 12,149 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They have the perception that its 7% as well which is quite the exaggeration.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Nov 2017 13:20:19 9,974 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's just mental.

Something like half the world's neo nazis are Russian. The nazis thought those guys were subhuman.
  • up_the_ante 12 Nov 2017 13:22:44 928 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Obviously a young crowd because they seem to have forgotten how much Poland suffered under the real Nazis.
  • H1ggyLTD 12 Nov 2017 13:22:48 11,916 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Keep punching them.
  • mothercruncher 12 Nov 2017 13:30:57 15,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    White is massively superior though in every way.
    If we’re honest with ourselves, away from those middle class PC circles, white is more refined, more pleasant and worth so much more.

If I’m pushed I will have some of that dark stuff with sea salt in though.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Nov 2017 13:32:42 11,831 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Remember, we are living in an age of feelings over facts, plus the overwhelming rise of social media and especially targeted media based on your browsing history allows you to be in contact very quickly with those who also share your viewpoint.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 12 Nov 2017 13:36:20 8,445 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    I wonder if this might include people who are Muslim or otherwise brown.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Nov 2017 13:43:04 5,231 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If it's racial-supremacist sentiment you're after, then China has the rest of the world beaten. Not white-supremacist, obviously, but I don't think the difference matters much. Add China and Russia (as challenge_hanukkah says) together and the rest of the world looks like a rounding error.

Those two countries had the most and second-most murderous regimes of the 20th century (and in China's case still have it), but have never been through the cultural rehabilitation processes that (Western) Germany, Italy and Japan went through. Note that most of the neo-Nazi movements in modern Germany have their roots in the East, where said process largely got buried under Communist propaganda and re-invention of history.

As for the rest of the world... I think it was probably inevitable that as WW2 fades from living memory, Nazi-ism would (wrongly) lose some of its taboo. The West's culture wars, as I said above, are largely a rounding error compared to Russia and China, but they're unlikely to end without significant compromise from both sides.
  • H1ggyLTD 12 Nov 2017 13:47:11 11,916 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    compromise
  • elstoof 12 Nov 2017 14:09:14 22,632 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It must be a bit weird when you’ve grown up using beetroots for currency then suddenly a couple of decades later people actually want to visit, and - heaven forbid - live and contribute to your country
  • sport 12 Nov 2017 14:50:47 14,826 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm just pissed off I can't get my selfie with the fuhrer anymore.

#PCGONEMAD
  • Cadence 12 Nov 2017 15:18:48 2,274 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In front of the gates of auschwitz too. What were they thinking?!
  • JamboWayOh 12 Nov 2017 15:23:31 11,831 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How long till an edgy forumite/troll gets on the thread and starts with the nazi sympathising?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Nov 2017 15:26:29 5,231 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Cadence Some parts of the Middle East and Asia/Pacific have really, really weird ideas about the Nazis. They're seen more as "foreign and exotic" than "really, really evil". Had a fairly startling encounter with that myself on a work trip to Singapore a decade or so ago, but that's a long story...
  • JamboWayOh 12 Nov 2017 15:33:29 11,831 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Cadence Some parts of the Middle East and Asia/Pacific have really, really weird ideas about the Nazis. They're seen more as "foreign and exotic" than "really, really evil". Had a fairly startling encounter with that myself on a work trip to Singapore a decade or so ago, but that's a long story...
    To be honest certain countries that I've visited and lived in, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand all seem to be very positive towards nationalism and mono ethnicity. A lot of people I spoke to saw Hitler as someone who was fighting for his people. South Korea specifically has some very fucked up views on blood purity.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 15:33:52 12-11-2017

Edited by JamboWayOh at 15:35:04 12-11-2017
  • Fake_Blood 12 Nov 2017 16:01:35 9,284 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Poles aren't that bad, they did an excellent job installing my kitchen.
  • Tonka 12 Nov 2017 18:52:45 29,235 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I feel like discussion of all the Nazi and white supremacist shit that's been going on has only been in the "What's America's Problem?" thread, but to be fair on America it seems to be a troubling worldwide rise.

Could an mod please turn this thread into a 90's toy discussion?

Edited by Tonka at 18:52:55 12-11-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Nov 2017 20:19:04 9,472 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's kind of surprising just how much Brexit has taken the wind out of the sails of English nationalism.

Like, they won. Whatever Daniel Hannan and Dennis Skinner might tell themselves this was a vote carried over the line by anti-immigrant sentiment and it was UKIPs victory. And where are they now? In absolute bits. All this time they spend stoking this stuff up and now they've got it they can't handle the fact it's fucked us all.

Maybe that'll be the ultimate lesson. We've seen it at local council level for years whenever someone like that gets elected they're so bad at it they don't last five minutes and perhaps Brexit will be Britain's national wake up call.

(Or not if the letters pages of my local paper are anything to go by)
  • Dirtbox 12 Nov 2017 21:02:34 91,020 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Poland has always had problems with racism, they're not the laughing stock of Europe for nothing.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Nov 2017 21:11:20 19,361 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    So are we past the "ignore them and they'll go away" and "violence will only embolden them" stage yet?
    Yes, clearly we need to start beating them up. What could go wrong?
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 12 Nov 2017 21:35:53 47,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You might break a knuckle or finger.
  • nickthegun 12 Nov 2017 21:48:57 76,794 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Poland has always had problems with racism, they're not the laughing stock of Europe for nothing.
    I was talking to a freshly hired polish guy at work a while ago who genuinely couldn't see any equivalency between coming over here to make a better life and immigrants going to Poland to do the same when I asked him why Poland was so anti-immigration.

One lot are brave go-getters, making a better life for themselves and their families and the other are parasites, wanting to take away the little Polish people already have.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Nov 2017 21:52:39 19,361 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The problem that's led to these movements is that people became so used to the liberal national and international order, that they forgot how to convincingly argue for its continued existence. We need to remember that the benefits of free trade, immigration, etc are not actually self-evident for large swathes of people, and need to learn how to argue for those things again.

Saying "do not have these opinions or we will beat you up / put you in jail" is not going to make their ideas any less attractive.
  • nickthegun 12 Nov 2017 21:53:25 76,794 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And I think it's also a consequence of automation. Technology has made a lot of traditional trades for these dumbasses redundant and they need someone to blame.
  • mal 12 Nov 2017 22:00:01 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    While the poles are still doing my plumbing, there's likely not going to be the money in plumbing to invent and buy robots to do the same job. Win win all round!
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.