Valkyria Chronicles 4

First Previous
  • Ror 20 Nov 2017 04:06:22 17,877 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just announced for PS4, Switch and Xbox One! Releasing in 2018.

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Nov 2017 07:32:33 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This one looks like a proper tactical RPG as well.

On the one hand, I'm excited. Valkyria Chronicles was among my favorite games of the PS3 era. I was disappointed when the sequel moved to PSP and even more so when the third game never made it to the West. I'd thought the series doomed after Valkyria Revolution crashed and burned critically and commercially. But the remastered release of the first game for PC and PS4 was lovely and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want more.

On the other hand, I'm incredibly wary. I'd honestly say Valkyria Revolution is the worst game I've played in 2017. I'm probably not alone in that; it takes a lot to score an "Avoid" from EG, but Valkyria Revolution managed it. Some of its faults were gameplay related; it was a terrible, terrible Musou game with stiff, awkward combat and next to no depth. But some of the problems were less genre specific; in particular, its cutscenes went on far too long, with far too little happening and no way of advancing or accelerating them beyond skipping the whole cutscene. One particular set of cutscenes, set between the game's second and third missions, goes on for around 70 minutes. Those are 70 minutes during which absolutely nothing noteworthy happens, but the whole cast simply will not SHUT THE FUCK UP.

So yeah... I'm going to need a lot of reassurance before buying this one.
  • uiruki 20 Nov 2017 07:44:02 4,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The thing with Azure Revolution was that they significantly changed the game system relatively shortly before release due to awful feedback on the first demo. At least what I played of the next demo made it clear they weren’t able to decide what kind of game they were making; since there is more expectation and direction this time I wouldn’t expect such a mess, at the very least.

I think that structure will play into the story telling too as what I remember of the first game was very much battle -> story -> battle -> story etc.

Edited by uiruki at 07:45:37 20-11-2017
  • Graxlar_v3 20 Nov 2017 08:20:12 4,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    is it bad that i didnt know there was a 2 & 3...

anyway, am getting this on switch :D
  • BigOrkWaaagh 20 Nov 2017 08:23:30 8,152 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All over this on Switch, it's perfectly suited. I really liked 1, downloaded 2 on PSP but never got round to it and missed 3 completely. Not really the sort of game where that will matter though.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Nov 2017 09:04:09 13,986 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

VC2 was pretty good but spent far too long using the same few maps over and over again at the beginning.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Nov 2017 09:05:16 13,986 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    VC Switch sounds like a perfect fit.
  • THFourteen 20 Nov 2017 09:06:57 50,198 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Definitely interested but also definitely waiting for reviews on this one first.

Probably still be playing xenoblade 2 anyway
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Nov 2017 09:25:53 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If I get this - and that's a big "if" - it'll be whichever version comes out best on tech comparison between XB1 and PS4. Theoretically, the XB1X should have that in the bag, but... Japanese developer... Microsoft hardware... yeah.

I've never found the Valkyria games well-suited to portable play; missions take too long and require too much concentration. I finished VC2 on the PSP, but did so while sat at my desk with the mains charger plugged in.
  • THFourteen 20 Nov 2017 09:29:09 50,198 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

But that's one of the coolest things about the switch for me, the seamless change between portable and TV.

Can play it on the train on the way home, and then on the sofa and then when the TV is free continue on there without too much bother.
  • Malek86 20 Nov 2017 09:55:33 7,873 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, this is one definitely one game that I don't want to see people saying "it's perfectly suited to the Switch", I remember everybody complained when VC2 got released on a portable console.
  • Graxlar_v3 20 Nov 2017 09:57:44 4,568 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Malek86 There are some pretty sizable differences between a psp and a switch.
  • Malek86 20 Nov 2017 10:08:16 7,873 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 well yeah, that was tongue in cheek.

Well... it actually bothers me a little bit. Nintendo (and Sony too) spent the last two generations trying to prove that handheld games could be just as good as console games, and some titles like Dragon Quest 9 and Monster Hunter 4 were perfect examples of that. But now everybody seems to think that Switch portable gaming is a revelation. Which begs the question - was handheld gaming always a compromise, after all?
  • THFourteen 20 Nov 2017 10:10:35 50,198 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Malek86

I think the difference is being able to plug it into an HD telly. I remember playing the original xenoblade this year, and whilst i never would have finished it if i couldnt play on the train to and from work, when i was at home i found myself desperately wishing i could play it on the big screen even with the pixelly graphics
  • UncleLou Moderator 20 Nov 2017 10:54:53 39,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Malek86 Good question. I personally never got along with the Vita and its "almost but not quite full games" like Uncharted: GA, and vastly preferred the 3DS.

Maybe the Vita *was* too much of a compromise for the "full" games, while the Switch isn't?
  • Malek86 20 Nov 2017 11:03:29 7,873 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @UncleLou but that was exactly my point - why were 3DS and Vita games *not* considered full games? Was it because of lesser graphics, less buttons to work with, or what else?

Portable gaming has always had a stigma attached to it for some reason, and it seems the only way Nintendo has now found to solve it, was to literally just make a handheld that could play console games.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Nov 2017 11:37:01 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the problem is that the Japanese gaming industry had that massive crisis of confidence back in the PS3/360 era, where a lot of studios (including some pretty major ones) all but withdrew from home console development and focussed on the PSP and (to a lesser extent) 3DS because those were cheaper to develop for and had a huge Japanese audience.

Don't forget, franchises like Kingdom Hearts and Shin Megami Tensei basically skipped a whole generation of home consoles. What we got instead were portable titles which ended up badly compromised compared to what we'd hoped to see. In particular, the memory restrictions on handheld consoles meant that handheld games often had to have small play areas broken up into chunks with loading screens between them. See Valkyria Chronicles 2 here (and also most of the handheld Kingdom Hearts titles).

That Japanese crisis-of-confidence is well and truly over now and Japan has given us some of the best games of the PS4/XB1 era. But I think that earned-stigma around handheld gaming still remains. Certainly, I'm not interested in VC4 on the Switch. It's the kind of game I'd prefer to play at home and I'd prefer to play it with the technological enhancements I'd expect from the PS4 Pro or XB1X.
  • DangerousDave_87 20 Nov 2017 12:37:27 5,303 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd say the 3DS offered home console experience. Just not those that were akin to hone consoles of that era. It was all open world and online-based. The 3DS was closer to the PS2, GameCube and Wii.

It still had a great 3D Mario game, one of the best Mario Karts, Luigi's Mansion 2, etc... It just couldn't do COD or GTA.
  • uberbeard 20 Nov 2017 12:51:29 1,478 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Right. Who wants to bet they'll port at least the remastered version of 1 onto the Switch?
  • FatSternKikwi 20 Nov 2017 12:59:06 1,669 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How about an official localisation for 3?
  • UncleLou Moderator 20 Nov 2017 13:00:36 39,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 That's a good point. Fire Emblem or Monster Hunter certainly felt more like a fat, full game than Uncharted: GA ever did. I almost feel sorry for UC:GA that it's always my negative example here, but it does illustrate the point, I think.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Nov 2017 13:18:51 13,986 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Malek86

The portably of VC2 was not the issue. VC2 was severely limited compared to VC due to it being on the PSP. The Switch however does not suffer the same limitations and would be able to render larger environments and vehicles.
  • ghearoid 20 Nov 2017 13:42:24 3,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nice. Will get for Switch if it reviews well. Pity the trailer only uses cut scenes, would've been interesting to see some gameplay.
  • Ror 20 Nov 2017 15:25:36 17,877 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sega are also teasing something else for tomorrow.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Nov 2017 16:18:01 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror Please god don't let it be VC4 loot crates.

It's loot crates, isn't it?
  • Ror 20 Nov 2017 16:23:47 17,877 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon No, it's another game. It looks like it might be a mobile project though.
  • Ror 20 Nov 2017 16:30:00 17,877 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    VC4 interview with the producer.
  • oldschoolsoviet 20 Nov 2017 18:37:24 6,594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MONSTER HUNTER AND NOW VALKYRIA ?! GODS BE PRAISED !

Now, away with all this jibber jabber of formats.

-Atlantic Federation as the main playable crew, not entirely sold on the designs/characters
    -1935 is the same year as VC & VC3, so I'm expecting cameos, in DLC/bonuses at the very least
    -New tank designs for the Fed, with tweaks to the Gallian and Imperial philosophies, happy with those
    -not keen on flashy OTT villan, bit too cheesy with flame decals, enemy Valkyria (?) seems a bit plain

Hmmm. It's a "proper" sequel, but those cast concerns are worrying. Welkin and co were just folk drafted into militia, with an age range outside the standard soldier. The Nameless had an even greater mix of personalities, the undesirables and renegades. VC2 were annoying brats.

These look like a market approved, focus tested anime group, and I'm hoping for squadmates that'll at least provide some characters I'll enjoy. There's a few unique faces in that charge early on, but generics later in the trailer, so possibly still being worked on. I don't see anything plotwise that'll break new ground, but as long as it rolls along, that's fine. It's all about the return of huge areas and tactics for me.

Cautiously optimistic, and looking forward to more revealing news.
  • THFourteen 20 Nov 2017 20:52:12 50,198 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Sega are also teasing something else for tomorrow.
    New IP?

Meh
  • ghearoid 26 Nov 2017 10:51:24 3,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For some reason I never did play the first game so picked up a pube-free copy from CEX for £3.50 yesterday.

I'll try to get around to playing it before 4 releases. ;)
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.