Valkyria Chronicles 4 Page 2

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 Nov 2017 14:36:28 3,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am planning to have another attenpt at getting through the first game (this time on PS4) and probably 3 as well before 4 releases. 2 will be if I have time...
  • Cappy 26 Nov 2017 14:58:42 13,961 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It really would have been for the best if this release had targeted the PS4 and XBone as the baseline.

Catering to lower powered hardware held the series back in a rut for years since it requires the maps to be smaller. Really they need to be a lot bigger and more expansive than other turn based strategy games if they're ever to bring out the true potential of game which features ranged units, tanks and artillery.

Multiple tanks and other vehicles under your control. Allied and enemy squads operating independently, neutrals and civilians would have been the next logical progression if the series hadn't been pulled into the handheld ghetto.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 Nov 2017 16:08:45 3,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would imagine the Switch is powerful enough for VC4 not to suffer the VC 2/3 mapsize issue. It will be less pretty and lower resolution but I don't forsee it limiting the game this time around.
  • Cappy 26 Nov 2017 17:11:15 13,961 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The maps were way too cramped on the original PS3 game, ideally we wouldn't have Nintendo's slab of crusted up spunk holding us back.

I take it all back if they give us the massive maps and make the Nintendo version have a reduced draw distance or something so it's underpowered CPU doesn't choke.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Nov 2017 00:37:29 3,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I haven't played throught far enough to see how big maps get on PS3. Would bigger maps benefit the game? It does seem to focus on quick victories for high 'ranks' in the first game at least. Still doesn't seem like CPU is the limiting factor here for a non open world scenario with turn based AI.

But as you say ideally the game will match whatever ambition was planned for PS4 and only be cut down graphically for the Switch. This thankfully shouldn't end up as a PSP/Vita/3DS level of cutting down needed (or being used as a lower level base format)
  • uiruki 27 Nov 2017 01:47:12 4,719 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The switch should have more than enough memory to handle whatever map size and variety - they’re not having to squeeze it into 32 megs or whatever the PSP had.
  • oldschoolsoviet 28 Feb 2018 18:19:44 6,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, currently watching a playthrough of a demo (?) of this, and I'm happy with what I'm seeing. Game itself is sticking very close to the original formula, even if the fella (Shirrako) doesn't have a clue what he's doing. :)

Presume it must be available via the JP store if anyone fancies a search.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Aug 2018 10:22:40 4,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bumping the more recent thread on this game, now that the full version is out in Japan and a demo is available in the West.

There's a review based on the Japanese version up over at animenewsnetwork. It's pretty positive stuff. I've been deliberately keeping my expectations for VC4 low, following the utter catastrophe of Valkyria Revolution (the worst game I played in 2017). I think I might allow myself to start feeling a bit of hope.

The key points from the ANN review are as follows:

- Set in parallel with the first game, with a broadly similar style and story.
    - Very much a successor to the original game, rather than the PSP sequels. Discards some of the sequel's additions, like melee classes and advanced specs.
    - There's a new class, the grenadier, armed with a mortar and able to attack beyond line of sight. Very powerful, but takes practice to use properly.
    - Permadeath is still there for side characters.
    - Generally a very good game in the vein of the original, but somewhat too reliant on unpredictable mid-mission twists (a complaint about the original, as well as many other Japanese tactical games like the Super Robot Wars series).

All told, that seems pretty positive to me. I'm actually pleased they've lost the melee classes - they never seemed a good fit for the WW1/WW2 hybrid setting.
  • Farley2k 7 Aug 2018 19:01:30 108 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Links to make life easier for folks

Eshop. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/valkyria-chronicles-4-switch

Also up on the Playstation store (https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA10633_00-BFVALKYRIE000100)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Aug 2018 22:37:18 4,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Link for the ANN review. Couldn't post it from work.

Don't worry, unlike many anime sites, ANN is SFW.
  • DangerousDave_87 7 Aug 2018 22:47:08 5,311 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Downloading the deno on Switch. I hope this is good!
  • rocketsndinos 8 Aug 2018 08:02:49 24 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I think the problem is that the Japanese gaming industry had that massive crisis of confidence back in the PS3/360 era, where a lot of studios (including some pretty major ones) all but withdrew from home console development and focussed on the PSP and (to a lesser extent) 3DS because those were cheaper to develop for and had a huge Japanese audience.

Don't forget, franchises like Kingdom Hearts and Shin Megami Tensei basically skipped a whole generation of home consoles. What we got instead were portable titles which ended up badly compromised compared to what we'd hoped to see. In particular, the memory restrictions on handheld consoles meant that handheld games often had to have small play areas broken up into chunks with loading screens between them. See Valkyria Chronicles 2 here (and also most of the handheld Kingdom Hearts titles).

That Japanese crisis-of-confidence is well and truly over now and Japan has given us some of the best games of the PS4/XB1 era. But I think that earned-stigma around handheld gaming still remains. Certainly, I'm not interested in VC4 on the Switch. It's the kind of game I'd prefer to play at home and I'd prefer to play it with the technological enhancements I'd expect from the PS4 Pro or XB1X.
    Thanks for explaining that, I never really understood it from that point of view. Maybe this whole time we should have been playing more portable games hm.
  • Farley2k 8 Aug 2018 16:07:28 108 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Personally I found the demo fun just like the first game. In fact it was a bit too much like the first game in terms of lead character. He is writing in a journal instead of drawing fish but still we are shown how he is an academic. Several of the other characters appear quite similar as well.

I will say if you like the first one you will like the 4th.
  • oldschoolsoviet 19 Aug 2018 16:30:05 6,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hammered through the demo this afternoon, and it's essentially the opening act of the full game (intro skirmish to the mechanics and first two missions) that'll supposedly transfer straight into the game itself (I hope). At 6GB, it's worth having a look for anyone interested.

Calling it similar is wide of the mark - it's 99% the same, using the book style menus, HQ layout (training, R&D etc) so veterans will settle straight in. I only wish there was a "played this before" option to remove all the introductory pop-ups.

The main cast are as awful as previous games - recognising some of the Japanese VA's among them and the new squad has been a treat though - but the extended squad only has a few 'oddballs' which I'm hoping will improve with unlocks. "Dark Souls" Ferrier is already a favourite, and better not be spoiled with a helmet removed/Potential improvement.

I'm already prepared for a terrible and formulaic story, so that's expected, but the combat and strategy is still top-notch, bar the mid-mission changes. The second mission in particular stands out completely featuring both a complete change in objective, and a very precise method of completion. This is okay occasionally, but I recall it was a heavily used idea in the original too, and I'm somewhat spoiled with the portable games just letting you get on with things your own way. Hmmm.

Grenadiers, replacing the old mortars, are going to be a big change possibly, moreso from an enemy perspective. You could take a risky move leaving a soldier in the open before, but now with grenadiers being able to target with indirect LoS from another ally, it's asking for trouble. Using them yourself is literally hit or miss, continuing the tradition of shite Lancer accuracy.

Tanks only using 1CP is huge, and like VC3 makes them OP as hell. Scout rush is still the best tactic, but now with back up armour it's ridiculous. Keeping an Engineer with the tank to replenish HE is far better than relying on Grenadiers, and the deploy screens show a second tank will be available later..... (noticed heavy tanks use 2CP reduced from 3 as well). I like tanks. :D

So yeah, I'm looking forward to this anyway. A rehash that's possibly too similar, VC1 mashed with Band of Brothers, but still fun to play, working out the best methods for those A ranks......
  • StixxUK 19 Aug 2018 16:33:41 8,039 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Never played this series but downloaded the demo for Switch. Generally Anime stuff doesn't float my boat, but I do like a good turn-based strategy game (they need to get on and port Into the Breach to Switch already)!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 19 Aug 2018 19:49:47 3,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Despite not having actually finished the others (shamefully keep getting distracted) I am looking forward to this. Played the tutorial and first mission so far.

At least with the chronology I can just finish the first game then go straight into this and leave proper playthroughs of the (apparently much longer) 3 and 2 for afterwards. I have skipped the spinoff which is supposed to be terrible.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Sep 2018 19:59:05 4,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is out now and currently downloading for me on Steam. Not sure I'll get to try it out tonight (my Vermintide 2 co-op partners is online), but between this and Forza Horizon 4, I suspect I'll have a game-y weekend.
  • Deleted user 25 September 2018 20:09:43
    I've got this en route from TGC. Loved the original and remastered version.
  • grassyknoll 26 Sep 2018 18:37:00 678 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This game is unbelievably good, there's actually quite a few significant changes that stop the game from being just scout rush like the first one. Only really disappointments are unnecessary fan service and the narrative isn't particularly great. Even 5 chapters in I'll say this is one of the best games of the year (for me anyway).
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 Sep 2018 19:16:01 3,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I grabbed this quite cheap as TGC failed to get me the LE (which I had been having second thoughts about after seeing the size of it. Got it on PS4 but want to finish off VC1 first so only really 'tested' it. Not sure whether I will restart or continue from the demo save (which unlocks an item). I wanted to support them releasing a proper game in the series unlike Revolution which I skipped (I technically triple dipped on the first game too)
  • Deleted user 26 September 2018 19:31:05
    Got mine today on xb1. Will hopefully give it a whirl later.
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Sep 2018 19:33:00 6,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Play the demo, the save file from that just loads straight into the game proper, so you're not missing anything. The demo is the start of the game, and the the light intro mission where it picks up confirms the intent of this.

Pity there's no unlocks for a VC save though. And yes, I treated myself to a little plastic tank. :)

Ed: Ploughed through the Squad 7 DLC that came with the LE, unlocking the VC main cast (Welkin, Alicia, Rosie, Largo and Isara) and more importantly, the Edelweiss ! I likey.

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 22:40:00 26-09-2018
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Sep 2018 08:59:35 3,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Missing the DLC and artbook is my main loss from losing out on the LE (abd it cost way too much elsewhere so skipped it, but got the nain game for twenty quid (as recompense) in the end so didn't too badly). I assume the DLC will eventually be onthe store for a fee but at the moment it is LE exclusive as only decals are on the psn store.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Sep 2018 16:10:36 4,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh this is wonderful. Just played a couple of hours and got past the tutorial missions. It's a very clear successor to the original game, but with a modern technical facelift. The utter travesty of Valkyria Revolution had me worried but... no fear... this is great.

The new Grenadier class is interesting. Not quite got a handle yet on how it fits into game-balance, but it's a better addition and more fitting to the setting than the melee classes from the PSP sequels.

PC UI could do with a bit of refinement. That's my only grumble so far.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Oct 2018 15:58:24 4,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hah, just hit the first of the big difficulty-spike missions. Was wondering if these would make a return, given they were such an iconic part of the first game. This wasn't as bad as the legendary "kill the super-tank" mission, but it was still a huge escalation from previous stuff.
  • smugla 6 Oct 2018 16:02:32 2,241 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got it on xbox one. Played five chapters lots and lots of long cut scenes
  • Graxlar_v3 6 Oct 2018 16:19:07 4,594 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I have played about 4 hours so far, done upto the second skirmish mission. It is good fun when you find a mission lol.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Oct 2018 16:22:47 18,925 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am hoping the difficulty increases soon. Because right now the most effective strategy appears to be "run scout/shock trooper up to man, shoot man point blank in face until dead, run to next man and repeat, and maybe use a grenade/tank if there is more than one man close together". It's... not exactly satisfying.

This is my first Valkyria game though, so I'm sure unexpected things will happen at some point.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Oct 2018 20:37:50 4,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram The difficulty ramps up once you get a few chapters in. Compared to the first game, it has a fairly gentle ramp up. Once you're in Chapter 4 with the big beach-head attack things get a bit more taxing and there are a few more difficulty spikes beyond that.

Early on, it's easy to get ahead of the level curve by doing a few skirmish missions. That gets harder by the mid-game. Plus the increased frequency of turrets, pillboxes and mortars adds extra challenge.

That said, I've not yet found anything as hard as the original's nightmare-missions.

Edited by Rogueywon at 20:38:02 06-10-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.